Which regions of the game do you visit rarely.....or not at all?

To date I have not taken on Blackrock or Forsaken Airfield.

Mystery Lake, Milton, Coastal Highway, Pleasant Valley, Timberwolf Mountain, Ash Canyon, Broken Railroad and Desolation Point all serve as a comfortable, long term well provisioned bases of operations.  Bleak Inlet and Hushed River Valley are tolerable despite the timber wolves in the former and the lack of structures in the latter. I have learned to safely transit Forlorn Muskeg on the way to Broken Railroad, Milton and Bleak Inlet but otherwise spend little time in that region.

The same cannot be said for the newest regions.  I am loathe to try to master the complexities of Blackrock and I am put off by the vastness of Forsaken Airfield.  ZOC sounds like another level of scary.

Are there regions your character(s) seldom, or never, visits?

42 minutes ago, Blizzard Walker said:

To date I have not taken on Blackrock or Forsaken Airfield.

Mystery Lake, Milton, Coastal Highway, Pleasant Valley, Timberwolf Mountain, Ash Canyon, Broken Railroad and Desolation Point all serve as a comfortable, long term well provisioned bases of operations.  Bleak Inlet and Hushed River Valley are tolerable despite the timber wolves in the former and the lack of structures in the latter. I have learned to safely transit Forlorn Muskeg on the way to Broken Railroad, Milton and Bleak Inlet but otherwise spend little time in that region.

The same cannot be said for the newest regions.  I am loathe to try to master the complexities of Blackrock and I am put off by the vastness of Forsaken Airfield.  ZOC sounds like another level of scary.

Are there regions your character(s) seldom, or never, visits?

For me it is bleak inlet and forsaken airfield. FA is overwhelmingly vast and featureless, its like wandering the void, and i am not a glimmer fog fan. Bleak inlet cause it seems like every part of the map wants to kill you, with nasty pointy teeth…

I had not visited (in any of my pre-DLC Pilgrim games) Mountain Town/Milton or Hushed River Valley and would not have in my post-DLC Pilgrim game until Signal Void Tales Part 1 forced me to do so.  The decision to not go there was specifically because I always wanted a "there be dragons" kind of place that I could go to eventually once Wintermute (aka Story Mode) had concluded. 

In fact my intention was to take all four of my Pilgrim games to Perseverance Mills (probable region for Episode 5) but the Great Legacy Save Game Massacre II put an end to that.  I started a new Pilgrim game December 2022 and it took almost a year to build all my bases back to where I wanted them.  Then I started Signal Void Tales Part 1.

I think that Mountain Town and Hushed River Valley will still be the least visited of all the regions simply because of the rope climb to get to Mountain Town.  About the only place not visited at all would be the Milton Basin between Milton town and Forlorn Muskeg.  Just haven't gotten around to it.  

• Upvote 1

because of the rope climb to get to Mountain Town

i dont get it ... Mountain town is probably the place with more resources of any other ... And that rope climb is not that tragic since also there is the cave nearby and the picnic area hut just after...

Because of the glimmer fog I can only make very quick visits to forsaken airfield , usually when I start a new run as I pick clear starting weather,but I've only been to the  hangars and tower ..but I'd love to go and have an explore,I love big open regions..

My least favourite places are BlackRock and mountain town,the latter being the worst... I'm not a fan of hrv  either but that's more because it's a maze..

Ash I do like but I never seem to want to go out my way to get there ..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frantz70 said:

i dont get it ... Mountain town is probably the place with more resources of any other ... And that rope climb is not that tragic since also there is the cave nearby and the picnic area hut just after...

The rope climb only can be a pain,which is a shame considering how much loot Milton has in it...  I personally will only take what I really want from there and just leave the rest behind rather than multiple climbs..

I also think Milton is depressing and dark ,and messy..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

The rope climb only can be a pain,which is a shame considering how much loot Milton has in it...  I personally will only take what I really want from there and just leave the rest behind rather than multiple climbs..

I also think Milton is depressing and dark ,and messy..

There certainly is a dark atmosphere about milton. Its like living in a shipwreck (like a big cruise ship not the riken)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TiffTastic said:

There certainly is a dark atmosphere about milton. Its like living in a shipwreck (like a big cruise ship not the riken)

I know what you mean...    

Though I'm not counting Milton basin in that..I like it down there really..  the only parcel of Milton I don't mind so much is the pond behind the church.. 

I wonder if it's because there's too much there and because of the story..

• Upvote 1

Now that I have bases in Milton and HRV I would be less reluctant to making the trip there but I always see a long rope climb as a reason not to go somewhere unless there was something of value to me that overcomes that reluctance.  

The opening of the road to Perseverance Mills that requires passage through Milton would be plenty of reason depending on what Perseverance Mills region actually contained.  

I dislike deadend regions such as Desolation Point, Ash Canyon, Blackrock, etc. so if not for my habit of a Tour of the regions every few hundred days if there was nothing else to be found or useful in a given region, such as the ammunition work bench and milling machine in Blackrock,  I probably would tend to not go there.  

• Upvote 1

Zones I L&L (Loot & Leave):

• AC
  • FA
  • ZoC
  • DP
  • BR

I suppose mostly because those are "terminus zones", which I'm not forced to travel through to get to other areas.  HRV is not in the list because I just like the feel of the place. BI is not in the list either because I like to cook at the old lighthouse and using the ammo bench.

• Upvote 1

I don't like the town of Milton at all. Knowing what happened at the school house to the towns people really bothers me, I'm a medically retired fire fighter. Just going into the town hits my soul hard. I enjoy the basin and it's easy enough to goat down there from the climbing area. Forlorn Muskeg is a death trap in my opinion. I've lost more than 1 run to the thin ice and predators. I'll use the rails if I've got to go through there to Broken Railroad and I'll skip along the walls to get back from the Milton basin to Mystery Lake. But the Muskeg is a no-go zone for me. I'd rather go to Black Rock in a blizzard and fight the timber wolves.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I know what you mean...    

Though I'm not counting Milton basin in that..I like it down there really..  the only parcel of Milton I don't mind so much is the pond behind the church.. 

I wonder if it's because there's too much there and because of the story..

I do love milton basin, and will stay there a week or two whenever i am in MT. As for the town itself, i think its seeing the all the dark empty homes. Part of me thinks the town would be better had it all burned down. And something about St Christophers creeps me out.

• Upvote 1

Always interesting reading such posts, I personally like the ghost town aspect of Milton... which was part of the reason I saw no point in something like HRV, but once Signal Void took me there I really saw and appreciated the "pure nature" feel of it. It just feels more bountiful (for lack of a better word) than AC which just reeks of death to me.

• Upvote 1

After picking up the backpack several times I am quite comfortable with AC now. It is dangerous but offers good rewards and the occasional shelter. HRV is harder to navigate for me but has also good spots to spend some time. I rarely go to BR after completing the story and the signals, though. So this is the region, I ignore the most.

Edited by mfuegemann

I like the idea of a ghost town,similar to the Quonset area,that doesn't have the same vibes as Milton though.. maybe the dark from the story seeps in more ,or it's just too cramped ..I don't know,it just feels horrible there..  soulless I guess..

Hrv I think takes a lot of getting used to, finding your way round can be a nightmare , especially if the weather turns..

For me, there are two main regions I do not like to linger in:

Zone of Contamination: IDK what it is about this region, I...just don't dig it for living. Maybe it's dodging all the chemical hazards? Or the overall ambience of the mine, it just feels...sad, like the area has been overexploited? Maybe sinister too? There's also just not much in the way of food and crafting resources near where there's good shelter. That being said, I do not mind visiting the area as the interior of the mine buildings is very impressive to look at, and the mines are fun to explore, too.

Forlorn Muskeg: Fog in this region is a death-trap IMO. It's super easy to get lost, and you just can't see the darn wolves and bears!

Runner-upBlackrock: This region also has a bit of that sinister feel of the Zone of Contamination. On a more practical side, I can't stand all the wolves and timberwolves. Just a P.I.T.A.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I like the idea of a ghost town,similar to the Quonset area,that doesn't have the same vibes as Milton though.. maybe the dark from the story seeps in more ,or it's just too cramped ..I don't know,it just feels horrible there..  soulless I guess..

Hrv I think takes a lot of getting used to, finding your way round can be a nightmare , especially if the weather turns..

HRV has grown on me lately. I now try to set up in the caves near mammoth lake and explore once I got some deer killed. Just spent 56 days there. Only left due to stupid scurvy risk and a bit of boredom. Its really pretty and once you get your bearings theres a TON of wildlife to hunt. And theres a moose satchel and a full moose carcass 

• Upvote 1

Blackrock ! Why? It feels gimmicky. It breaks immersion. I love the long dark for the feeling of a remote small town canada wasteland. The prison seems like such a gimmick from the campaign driven by a story. I haven't played the campaign yet but I understand why Blackrock could make sense in a storyline. But I just avoid it. Its not my story I guess.  

The scripted wolf in bleak inlet I also avoid (should be removed). When playing interloper theres not much to fetch from Bleak inlet or blackrock. 

HRV also is only visited for saplings in ultralategame.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

HRV has grown on me lately. I now try to set up in the caves near mammoth lake and explore once I got some deer killed. Just spent 56 days there. Only left due to stupid scurvy risk and a bit of boredom. Its really pretty and once you get your bearings theres a TON of wildlife to hunt. And theres a moose satchel and a full moose carcass 

It is nice at mammoth falls,  but I still find hrv to be a bit claustrophobic and yes messy again.. there are some good views and nice little areas though..

• Upvote 1

I typically avoid timberwolf regions, because dealing with them is very annoying.

I do visit every region in the game, but i never create bases on Bleak Inlet or Blackrock because the timberwolf packs require you to spend matches / flares / ammo on them, VS regular wolves that are much simpler to deter