Less birch

Brad73

Perhaps marginally less common but I have not explored all regions post update to form a firm opinion.

Birch saplings are substantially more common when beach combing. I have found 24 saplings along the Coastal Highway shoreline post the March 30th changes to the beach combing mechanic. In comparison I had found 12 birch saplings within all of Coastal Highway when checking traditional birch sapling locations.

3 hours ago, Brad73 said:

Is it just my imagination or is there considerably less birch available since the update?

Birch spawns after blizzards and have static spawn points, it is not defined by a loot parameter and not affected by patches. Also, on world generation all birch will be already spawned on their common locations, if you are in a spot with few birch maybe you have already picked them up, go back after another blizzard B|

3 hours ago, Brad73 said:

Same question goes for car batteries. 

Actually, there are more batteries on the world than before. Not just near the transmitters but also in new places like the maintenance yard, and i can see a tiny increase on overall % of batteries inside cars, at least on interloper.

I am playing a Voyager game in Ver 2.15 and one region seems to have far more birch saplings than normal and another region seems to have fewer than normal.  I was puzzled and wondered if the number of birch saplings had been increased because of fire-hardened arrows, or was it just a random effect.

I agree with the op, there's less batteries around now than there was..   playing pilgrim..... I'm not sure about birch I haven't really needed to look. But I will when I get chance. 

There's way more antiseptic around though!!   And I never use the stuff!😁

• Upvote 2

I've been to about 5 regions now... and every car has been devoid of a battery.  
With one notable exception:  I did find a battery in a truck at Point of Disagreement... but the hood was smashed and doesn't open.

So far, the only battery I've found was in a car I couldn't lift the hood to get at it. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

With one notable exception:  I did find a battery in a truck at Point of Disagreement... but the hood was smashed and doesn't open.

So far, the only battery I've found was in a car I couldn't lift the hood to get at it. :D 

That sounds like a big bug considering tales requires some as well.

Edited by Leeanda
Stupid autocorrect getting it wrong when it was right in the first place!!!
  • Upvote 1

I'm playing a Pilgrim run on the PS4 and I haven't noticed any less or anymore birch bark. It depends really what region you are in as some regions spawn more birch bark than others.

Some of the birch bark I have found in The Ravine which I have stored in the cave near the entrance to Mystery Lake.

vlcsnap-2023-04-28-18h32m41s346.thumb.jpg.5aeed900d59b50898e9e50b7eb4809c8.jpg

3 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I'm playing a Pilgrim run on the PS4 and I have found batteries in most cars in the region's I have been to so far, Pleasant Valley, Mystery Lake, Broken Railroad, Coastal Highway and Desolation Point all had batteries in some of the cars so its working OK in my run.

I haven't taken any of the batteries from the cars yet but what I do is I leave the hood open so that I then know which cars have batteries in them and which ones don't.

Edited by Lone Walker
  • Upvote 1

On interloper loot settings, there are FAR less batteries than there were before.

Batteries didn't matter in Interloper, because the only thing to use them on was making bullets, and interloper is devoid of guns, so they were left in the game at a pretty high rate, and were useless.

Now that they can be used, their appearance in interloper settings has dropped considerably. I'm seeing far less than half the batteries that I used to, which was usually 1-3 a zone with cars. Now it is 0-1.

Edited by Kayosiv

Thank you for the feedback in this thread. 

On 4/28/2023 at 6:57 AM, ManicManiac said:

@ManicManiacWhich Experience Mode are you playing on? 

• Upvote 1

I think I've read in some of the release notes of the loot "reshuffle" in December, that it was a deliberate choice to make the regions "feel less of the same".
Some items are frequent in one, but even completely devoid in another. That is also forcing us out of the regions, and makes the beginning of (every) run different, depending on where you start and whether a key item is present there or not - and how you learn to compensate for its absence until you find it somewhere later.

I felt that some regions had a lot of birch saplings, while others barely had a few. Same with the bark.
So my guess would be, that if you found it to be much more or much less than before, it might be dependent on the specific region you are in.

(This does not include beach combing, which many have mentioned to be a bit overbuffed since the last update, and I'd expect it would be toned down with time)

Edited by AdamvR
typo
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

i recently started Interloper again and was very lucky with car batteries so far. I am yet to actually move them but i think i found 5

Haven't noticed changes with birch bark, same as ever, ash canyon is generous as ever. Btw, i have a fun bug there, the birch bark is huuuge :D  when i pick it up it blocks the whole screen 

screen_(-650, 111, 210)_65eb837c-1b36-47c0-b9da-7d9a66989094.png

screen_(-564, 108, 132)_4a9f64f8-b8ae-46a7-b55f-da6a66a2ce4d.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bysinda said:

i recently started Interloper again and was very lucky with car batteries so far. I am yet to actually move them but i think i found 5

Haven't noticed changes with birch bark, same as ever, ash canyon is generous as ever. Btw, i have a fun bug there, the birch bark is huuuge :D  when i pick it up it blocks the whole screen 

screen_(-650, 111, 210)_65eb837c-1b36-47c0-b9da-7d9a66989094.png

screen_(-564, 108, 132)_4a9f64f8-b8ae-46a7-b55f-da6a66a2ce4d.png

LoL..the birch has been like that since ash was introduced.... I hope it stays .🙂

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, ManicManiac said:

I've seen this as well, along with something similar in Ash Canyon (where I've found birch bark the size of a Hylian Shield :D).

On 4/19/2023 at 9:14 PM, ManicManiac said:

I haven't checked recently... but Ash Canyon used to have pieces of birch bark the size of a Hylian Shield. :D 
Is that still the case, or did they eventually fix that?

image.thumb.jpeg.d624a2d7bdd7d2e909488a7b2e634883.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

LoL..the birch has been like that since ash was introduced.... I hope it stays .🙂

Me too! Much easier to spot, hehe

I've been to ash canyon before the DLC and I didn't have that bug, so I thought it's new

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bysinda said:

Me too! Much easier to spot, hehe

I've been to ash canyon before the DLC and I didn't have that bug, so I thought it's new

I've had a few runs without seeing it at all.. I think it's just random...  But they always make me smile 🙂

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Hinterland should make it an official new item: Huge Birch Bark, makes 4x as many teas and can be used to make an upgraded snow shelter, perhaps 🤔

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Hinterland should make it an official new item: Huge Birch Bark, makes 4x as many teas and can be used to make an upgraded snow shelter, perhaps 🤔

Well it might disintegrate when it gets too wet but it should be an official thing😁

• Upvote 1