Item Variants?

One of the things mentioned was item variants, which I believe may be an entirely new system of prefixes for items.

Examples:
Oversized Hoodie (Extra warm and heavy, moved to outerwear slot if it's an Innerwear Torso item. Because who doesn't like oversized hoodies?)
Rusty Hatchet (Takes more time to do tasks, but can be cleaned to change into a random positive Variant.)
Giant Pork and Beans (More calories, heavier, visibly larger. Limited time deal- now 40% more food per food!)
Streamlined Windbreaker (Better wind resist, lighter, less sprint penalty, yet not as warm. Your best friend in a blizzard.)
Antique Prybar (Heavier, more durable, and better in struggles. They don't make 'em like they used to.)
Tactical Hunting Knife (Better in struggles, worse for normal use. Probably a cheap knockoff self defense tool- I wouldn't advise using it for mundane tasks.)

Or maybe it's a reskin system. It is a bit tiring seeing the same T-Shirt over and over again.

I'm hoping it's both, to be honest.

• Upvote 3

I'd guess more items you can make out of animal hides. Bear pants and deer coat, kinda stuff. Different stats to consider. Or maybe different axes - currently it's a hatchet, why not an actual splitting axe, or a maul. I'd love a wood saw, too. Buck up logs quicker.

I hope it means the variants will have different stats, making them a meaningful addition to the game.  The downside of having a variety of skins with no meaningful differences to the gameplay is that they just clutter up the inventory because they won't stack.  Since it's associated with a DLC, I'm thinking it'll be things that will have superior versions of them to be found in the DLC zone... like a rifle with a scope or a lightweight ballistic vest.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I hope it means the variants will have different stats, making them a meaningful addition to the game.  The downside of having a variety of skins with no meaningful differences to the gameplay is that they just clutter up the inventory because they won't stack.  Since it's associated with a DLC, I'm thinking it'll be things that will have superior versions of them to be found in the DLC zone... like a rifle with a scope or a lightweight ballistic vest.

Don't go and get my hopes up 😊.  A scope would be great.

I'd like:

a folding saw (lighter but less effective)

maybe something not fit for purpose, like a mattock, that you have to cope with early game?

Proper medical bandages

lightweight saucepan from a camping kit (maybe a one of a kind item and not very durable)

usable hoods on coats and hoodies! (perhaps with reduced visibility?

oh, and maybe a more expensive, multi-purpose blade...

As always, I expect HL to come up with at least one item no one saw coming!

• Upvote 2

My bet is that they'll be more-than-cosmetic variants: a heavier-but-more accurate rifle, a lighter-but-less-durable tool kit, etc. 

I'm actually really hoping for a lighter tool kit, actually; something like 0.5 kg, but degrades twice as much when used, or even a multi-tool that's 0.1 kg and has very limited uses (3-5). 

It sounds like they are more substantial:

https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/

> Unique, custom versions of existing in-game items, each with a history and its own special tuning. Special versions of Rifles, Bows, Knives, Hatchets, Lanterns, certain Clothing, etc., to be found in the hidden corners of the world.

Also seems like theyre trying to give us lots of ways to find them: Shortwave Radio, Visor Notes and the Trader.

Edit: added link

Edited by Arbor

• 6 months later...

Sorry for reviving this older post but....

In the description, there was a mention of special versions of "Knives, Hatchets".

Just to make sure I'm not missing something, but this hasn't been implemented yet, correct? I'm aware of the Rifles, Bow, and Lantern, but those two specifically I've not seen/heard anything about.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DaGnome91 said:

@Merrak You're right, for now, we just have 3 rifle variants, 1 bow, and 1 lantern, as well as several new clothing items : flight jacket, aviator cap, technical balaclava and hockey shirt.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but figured there's always a chance I haven't found everything. 🙂