Keeper's Pass

twyn1

Well, I'm done with BRM for the current run, after mapping most of the area and finding the elusive prepper's cache. I do miss that Workshop tho', loved getting my tools/weapons up to 100% so easily! Even crafted some decent ammo!

I've made my way to PV and am settling in there for a time to regroup, relax (Ha!) and build up my resources.

But I am thinking about heading back to the Keeper's Pass transition zone, since I passed thru' too quickly to really check it out. It had a lot of interesting looking areas, esp after the cave. I did stop at Mirthless Fork for a night & the trailer seemed like it could make a possibly decent base.

Just wondering if anyone took the time to really check the Pass out, and how viable could the area be for a long term stay?

59 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

Just wondering if anyone took the time to really check the Pass out, and how viable could the area be for a long term stay?

Hi Survivor :) 
In my opinion, Keeper's Pass South transition is a very nice place to stay - even playing at the Interloper late game level. You have a crafting table in the trailer. There is a fisherman's hut on the river (reduced cabin fever 😀). There are also animals (wolves and rabbits). There aren't many birch samplings, but you can live your life until you run out of cloth to repair your clothes (and of course the matches - but you probably have a magnifying lens so you can feel safe ). That is my humble opinion. I greet you warmly 👍

Edited by PiterZ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PiterZ said:

Hi Survivor :) 
In my opinion, Keeper's Pass South transition is a very nice place to stay - even playing at the Interloper late game level. You have a crafting table in the trailer. There is a fisherman's hut on the river (reduced cabin fever 😀). There are also animals (wolves and rabbits). There aren't many birch samplings, but you can live your life until you run out of cloth to repair your clothes (and of course the matches - but you probably have a magnifying lens so you can feel safe ). That is my humble opinion. I greet you warmly 👍

Forester's Hideout (Keeper's Path North) is also an option for taking a night out to reduce cabin fever risk and it comes with its own bed in addition to a 2-burner stove.  The only downside is that it is a bit of a walk from the trailer, but I didn't see any predators.

19 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Forester's Hideout (Keeper's Path North) is also an option for taking a night out to reduce cabin fever risk and it comes with its own bed in addition to a 2-burner stove.  The only downside is that it is a bit of a walk from the trailer, but I didn't see any predators.

You're right. I fully agree with you 👍 and there are rabbits nearby too 😀

Thanks for all the replies & feedback!

Wow -- I did not see a fishing hut or stop at the Forester's Hideout!  I barely looked right or left as I was heading along the path out. Missed quite a bit, obviously!

So I've decided to give it a try. Currently in the process of ferrying tools and food from the Community Hall and the Farmhouse in Pleasant Valley to the transition area, Want to give myself a little head start.

• Like 1

Can you actually get to the fishing hut? I saw the hole in the ice and received a weak ice warning every time I got near. The hole is blocking nearly the entire river. I figured it was a trap and/or "decoration." 

Other than the wolf at the bridge that can't really be avoided, the place is really nice. I like the trailer and the old, broken down cabin too. I need to go back and map that stuff as well. 

8 minutes ago, Pencil said:

Can you actually get to the fishing hut? I saw the hole in the ice and received a weak ice warning every time I got near. The hole is blocking nearly the entire river. I figured it was a trap and/or "decoration." 

Other than the wolf at the bridge that can't really be avoided, the place is really nice. I like the trailer and the old, broken down cabin too. I need to go back and map that stuff as well. 

If you walk through the opposite side of the river, you can reach the fishing hut with no thin ice problem. There is only one obstacle, it's when the wolves spawn directly on the river, so u must avoid them somehow.

Also, if you deal with the wolf at the bridge, there is a one-way passage straight down to the hut. But you'll have to take all the way through the river around when u come back.

(using translator)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, twyn1 said:

Thanks for all the replies & feedback!

Wow -- I did not see a fishing hut or stop at the Forester's Hideout!  I barely looked right or left as I was heading along the path out. Missed quite a bit, obviously!

So I've decided to give it a try. Currently in the process of ferrying tools and food from the Community Hall and the Farmhouse in Pleasant Valley to the transition area, Want to give myself a little head start.

Have fun, dear Survivor 👍

On 12/15/2021 at 9:53 AM, Serenity said:

It's easily the most sustainable and comfortable transition region

I guess we would have to define "sustainable" - for how long, in what difficulty level etc...

I prefer the Ravine.

Deer and rabbits, but no wolves. Cave to stave off cabin fever, but close proximity to ML for more food or other items (work bench in Carter Dam).

-t

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Be careful wandering around in a new area in a blizzard young lady - recipe for disaster.

I meant in the small amounts of time I had  in between blizzards.  Didn't really want to explore somewhere unfamiliar with that kind of constant weather.  And I  thought PV was bad til I went there. 

Update -- I'm on my fourth day in Keeper's Pass. Playing on Pilgrim to be able to get past the wolves for right now.

Weather has been horrible, with blizzards popping up day and night. Spent one entire day & night stuck in the trailer. Broke down some of the furniture and stacked some wood. Wish I had a book to read.

Getting out to the fishing hut looks perilous, but I have not attempted because of the bad weather. Have not seen any rabbits, nor any deer close enough to the trailer to make the hauling worth it. There are birch & maple saplings, mushrooms and cattails & some rose-hips by the river.

Am mapping what I can when the weather clears. May try to try to get down to the river area again and cross over to the cave.

Am nearing the end of the food I brought with me, may have to pop back into Pleasant Valley to try for a deer and grab a toolbox. We shall see - it's a bit dull ...

Edited by twyn1
fixed weird sentence

4 hours ago, twyn1 said:

Update -- I'm on my fourth day in Keeper's Pass. Playing on Pilgrim to be able to get past the wolves for right now.

Weather has been horrible, with blizzards popping up day and night. Spent one entire day & night stuck in the trailer. Broke down some of the furniture and stacked some wood. Wish I had a book to read.

Getting out to the fishing hut looks perilous, but I have not attempted because of the bad weather. Have not seen any rabbits, nor any deer close enough to the trailer to make the hauling worth it. There are birch & maple saplings, mushrooms and cattails & some rose-hips by the river.

Am mapping what I can when the weather clears. May try to try to get down to the river area again and cross over to the cave.

Am nearing the end of the food I brought with me, may have to pop back into Pleasant Valley to try for a deer and grab a toolbox. We shall see - it's a bit dull ...

One thing for players to be aware of is that I've found if I spend too long in Keeper's Pass on my way to Blackrock I find when I get there that most food, supplies and clothing is ruined.

This is only for the first time you go to Blackrock on your run, but is something to be aware of.

14 hours ago, twyn1 said:

Hey Survivor,
I play at the Interloper level. Currently, I'm visiting Blackrock. When I was at Keeper's Pass South, I had rabbits in front of the trailer. I also hunted wolves. The food came to my door by itself 😀 I was there for a few days, I thought it was a nice location. It is true that the weather is a bit tiring there. But after so many days of playing at the Interloper level, I got used to such weather. Forgive me if my statement misled you. I'm very sorry 😢

• 4 weeks later...

Finally have some time for an Update -- Holiday craziness is over :)

Keeper's Pass (South) is definitely a viable area for a long-term base, but with a few exceptions.

I had 3 "nice" days in a row and did much more exploration.

Yes -- there is plenty of wood & pallets, lots of cat-tails, mushrooms and some rose hips. Maple & birch saplings in a couple places. The trailer has quite a bit to break down for reclaimed wood & scrap metal. Storage is quite good for such a small "home" & the fire barrel just outside can be used even in nasty weather.

You can get to the fishing hut fairly easily & safely if you cross the bridge and go down the little climbs then stay towards the left bank of the river. Also, yes, there actually are rabbits just across the road from the trailer (thanks! PiterZ) and also down across the river towards the cave area. I think the horrible weather was keeping them away.

Have never seen deer on the South Pass & just 2 wolves so far.

There are places to sleep to ward off Cabin Fever, and once you learn the map you should be able to get to a safe haven, even if a blizzard kicks up.

However, I would think you would have to make the occasional, easy trip over to the Pleasant Valley farmstead for more sustaining meat (deer, bear, wolf if you eat it) and for cloth & possibly birch bark at some point. I just headed back there to grab the forgotten tool box, and to see if I can get a moose for the satchel.

Not the most exciting area, all in all, but it's a change from the typical.

Enjoy!

41 minutes ago, twyn1 said:

Finally have some time for an Update -- Holiday craziness is over :)

Keeper's Pass (South) is definitely a viable area for a long-term base, but with a few exceptions.

I had 3 "nice" days in a row and did much more exploration.

Yes -- there is plenty of wood & pallets, lots of cat-tails, mushrooms and some rose hips. Maple & birch saplings in a couple places. The trailer has quite a bit to break down for reclaimed wood & scrap metal. Storage is quite good for such a small "home" & the fire barrel just outside can be used even in nasty weather.

You can get to the fishing hut fairly easily & safely if you cross the bridge and go down the little climbs then stay towards the left bank of the river. Also, yes, there actually are rabbits just across the road from the trailer (thanks! PiterZ) and also down across the river towards the cave area. I think the horrible weather was keeping them away.

Have never seen deer on the South Pass & just 2 wolves so far.

There are places to sleep to ward off Cabin Fever, and once you learn the map you should be able to get to a safe haven, even if a blizzard kicks up.

However, I would think you would have to make the occasional, easy trip over to the Pleasant Valley farmstead for more sustaining meat (deer, bear, wolf if you eat it) and for cloth & possibly birch bark at some point. I just headed back there to grab the forgotten tool box, and to see if I can get a moose for the satchel.

Not the most exciting area, all in all, but it's a change from the typical.

Enjoy!

Ive never had cabin fever on pilgrim , don't think it's on! Plus the lack of animals is a major drawback imho. 

So I spent about 25 game days total in Keeper's Pass South (still playing on Pilgrim).

Popped over to Pleasant Valley for a few days & managed to get the moose! Dragged most of the meat & the hide back to the trailer & finally made the satchel.

Loaded up my gear/food/water and headed through the ice cave to Keeper's Pass North.

So ... it was a blizzard haven there as well! I did check out the Forester's Hermitage (ruined building, but there is a double wood stove and a +3 (?) bed in a sheltered corner). I think that there was a corpse in there the first time I passed through, but that is gone now.

Lots of wood was available, and cat tails, mushrooms and rose hips as well. There is a small copse with rabbits between the cave & Hermitage.  But it is definitely NOT a comfy or welcoming place for a long-term stay.

I did traverse the shaky Builder's Bridge again (makes me nauseous!) & took  the rope climb down to the river along the road that leads back to BRM.  Nice find down there for those who would have need of it, but bring some "energy" for the climb back up.

Did not see any wolves or deer. Endured a huge blizzard as I made my way back to the Hermitage and had to hunker down for the afternoon/all night. Thank goodness I left a pile of cedar wood there so I could unfreeze & stay warm.

Was nice to get back to the South Pass area ... felt like "home".  Might be time to start a new adventure.

Thanks for all the advice and input. -- Enjoy

Edited by twyn1
Clarification
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, twyn1 said:

So I spent about 25 game days total in Keeper's Pass South (still playing on Pilgrim).

Was nice to get back to the South Pass area ... felt like "home".  Might be time to start a new adventure.

Hello Survivor Friend. I am very glad that you liked the Keeper's Pass South transition. I just wanted to ask you, did you get the aurora while there?