BR = Broken Railroad, NOT Blackrock!

Kranium

12 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I have a question - If we vote on it, who is going to convince Hinterland to put up an "official" list of acceptable acronyms for this website and what is going to be the "punishment" for not using the "right" one?  I vote that we don't vote and just accept that people will use whatever acronym they want... or not.  If someone is confused, they can, if they wish, ask the poster to clarify their post... nicely, of course.

As long as there is a consensus in this community, it doesn't really matter.  I'm good with BRM.

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I have a question - If we vote on it, who is going to convince Hinterland to put up an "official" list of acceptable acronyms for this website and what is going to be the "punishment" for not using the "right" one?  I vote that we don't vote and just accept that people will use whatever acronym they want... or not.  If someone is confused, they can, if they wish, ask the poster to clarify their post... nicely, of course.

I wasn't really  serious  about that. I'm sure HTL have better things to do. I only thought  that a vote would be a simpler way to save confusion.

11 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

As long as there is a consensus in this community, it doesn't really matter.  I'm good with BRM.

Then, by all means, use it.  I'm going to write the names out in full... are you going to tell me I'm "wrong" in doing that?  Of course not.  I have no idea why this has become such a hot topic.  On the other thread where this came up, what I was objecting to was the statement that the region was officially named "Blackrock Mountain. and the corresponding one that Santana was the "god of maps" (implying that it should be BRM just because he named his map "Blackrock Mountain"). I was also initially concerned that Hinterland may have been inconsistent within the game in labeling the maps.  On that note, I'm happy to report that, so far, as I've rechecked, Keeper's Pass IS consistently labeled "Keeper's Pass (North/South) and I was the one in error for thinking it was labeled Keeper's Path in some places.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

and the corresponding one that Santana was the "god of maps" (implying that it should be BRM just because he named his map "Blackrock Mountain").

No his map is called Blackrock and he is the god of maps or do you know any better than these ones? : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1901570789

He only proposed to call it BRM in said thread and because I have the utmost respect for his work and his argument makes the most sense to me, I decided to use BRM as well. Of course calling his word gospel was ment as a joke but I guess that got lost in transmission - really no need to take this so serious, I certainly don't ;)

37 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

No his map is called Blackrock and he is the god of maps or do you know any better than these ones? : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1901570789

He only proposed to call it BRM in said thread and because I have the utmost respect for his work and his argument makes the most sense to me, I decided to use BRM as well. Of course calling his word gospel was ment as a joke but I guess that got lost in transmission - really no need to take this so serious, I certainly don't ;)

Perhaps one reason why your statement about Santana flew over my head was because I'm not a PC player and I'm not on Steam and, as such, I've never seen his map.  I've repeatedly said this is "not worth" an argument, so where are you getting the impression that I'm taking this too seriously.  I do object when people pull "official" BS on things that are, by no means, official.  Th e confusion and the issue will subside... just as it has between CH and CH (Coastal Highway and Crumbling Highway... which I believe is "officially" mapped as something like "Inter-Island Connector" (IIRC.. and no, I'm not going to run across the map to check that one out either).

Cheers... I am going to take another long vacation from this website.  Bye.

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Key word:  "should".  In your opinion, is it happening that way?

There  are a lot of good people on this forum, sure there's a few not so good but they are by far outnumbered. It's the same in my neighborhood but Maybe I'm just lucky I  live where I do.   

Having said that people are scared , something on this big a scale is bound to make people act out of character ,but they are for the most part still good people..  I haven't changed ,I'll still defend others if I feel the need and I will always offer help and support of any kind if asked. I'd like to think others feel the same . Whether that's naive or not I don't know but that's the way I see things.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Leeanda said:

There  are a lot of good people on this forum, sure there's a few not so good but they are by far outnumbered. It's the same in my neighborhood but Maybe I'm just lucky I  live where I do.   

Having said that people are scared , something on this big a scale is bound to make people act out of character ,but they are for the most part still good people..  I haven't changed ,I'll still defend others if I feel the need and I will always offer help and support of any kind if asked. I'd like to think others feel the same . Whether that's naive or not I don't know but that's the way I see things.

That's why you are one of the nicest people I know on this forum. I see things the same, as do most people on this forum, which is why I love it so much, but there always the minority.. 

I don't want to get involved in this acronym argument, quite frankly it's ridiculous to me, but I thought I'd let you know @Leeanda that I completely agree. Covid should make a difference with people getting along, as we can all relate to one thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Covid should make a difference with people getting along, as we can all relate to one thing. 

In actual practice, a worldwide calamity like COVID makes people frightened and uncertain, which drives them towards reassuring, simple explanations with a sense of community.  That is to say, conspiracy theories.

Social media like Facebook and Twitter love these conspiracy theories, because they produce the most page views (and ad revenue) through vigorous and protracted argument.  So they target the most vulnerable members of their user base using very sophisticated software to get them on board, radicalized, and engaged.

So blame human nature and social media for why we're not getting along better.

@I_eat_only_wolf_meat Unfortunately, you are correct. Social media is both a blessing and a curse. 

It's a shame that people can't just get along, but at least most people here, and people I know, seem rational and nice. And I would hope not many people believe the conspiracy theories. However, when you have no idea what's going on, we believe the false facts because, as you said, they are explanation, albeit untrue ones. 

At least, as already said, the majority here get along well.  Arguments are to be expected when people have different views, though I try stay out of them, since it's not my place to get involved.

Guest jeffpeng
On 12/16/2021 at 2:29 PM, ChillPlayer said:

Well, nice to still be called young at my humble age of 42 - for my kids I'm ancient :D

When I was 36, that's 4 years ago, my son, then 4, thought I'm making some dad joke when I told him how old I am because he was like convinced no person could be THAT old.

Also, about the original issue:

Well, idk, imho idk. Btw: wtf?

And, to contribute to this can of worms:

In actual practice, a worldwide calamity like COVID makes people frightened and uncertain, which drives them towards reassuring, simple explanations with a sense of community.  That is to say, conspiracy theories.

Social media like Facebook and Twitter love these conspiracy theories, because they produce the most page views (and ad revenue) through vigorous and protracted argument.  So they target the most vulnerable members of their user base using very sophisticated software to get them on board, radicalized, and engaged.

So blame human nature and social media for why we're not getting along better.

I had that discussion with my wife today. Basically my stance is: if you let badly understood, yet proven to be inherently malevolent systems (humans) interact with each other without some form of guideline restrictions (such as ethics and morals), you cannot expect that the emerging properties of the resulting system to be, well, good. Basically: everything socially driven needs a reason for it to turn out beneficial - or it won't.

Edited by jeffpeng

I have not read every comment on this thread, so I will just state my personal opinion here:

All the regions have at least 2 words in the name (an adjective and a noun), making abbreviations fairly easy to use. Mystery Lake, ML. Pleasant Valley, PV.  Coastal Highway, CH. Basic, straight forward stuff. If using the same formula, Broken Railroad would indeed be BR. 

Then, you have Crumbling Highway. On the Steam forums (and possibly here, I haven't been here very long) they use CrH. Lowercase r. 

The only region that does not follow the same pattern is Timberwolf Mountain, abbreviated TWM. Timberwolf is one word in the game, meaning the W would be should not exist or should be lowercase, if following the same pattern as the other regions. TwM or TM would follow the same pattern. 

Of course, this is assuming that lowercase letters are acceptable to everyone... 

Blackrock is the region name. It's one word, so technically it would be B if following the same pattern as the other regions. The only reason this is difficult to work with is because it has no adjective (unless you consider black the describer of rock, even though the game considers it one word). 

So I say it should technically be called B. Do I like that abbreviation? Not really lol. I would prefer BRM, but mountain is not in the region name. If we can decide on being less picky, I vote for BRM. 

• Upvote 3