If you could build a house...

hozz1235

7 hours ago, past caring said:

True. But resources are plentiful and you've got lots of storage space. And you're rarely too far from shelter if you do get caught by the weather.

hmmm, maybe for the entire map, but they were talking about the farmhouse.  Nothing really nearby the farmhouse that could count as abundant resources.  you have to walk a fair distance just to gather firewood which is dangerous in itself if you are playing voyager or stalker mode considering the constant wolf patrols.   I guess you could duck into the barn for safety, but other than that it's a pretty good distance between safe spaces and the farmhouse.

• Upvote 3

I would choose the birch forest in PV (Lonely cabins) since there's alot of birch bark and i, well, i get into alot of trouble.

A house similar to community hall with the addition of a workbench, that would be a good spot if it wasn't patrolled by a bear and sometimes a moose. I can live fine with the PV weather.

18 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

hmmm, maybe for the entire map, but they were talking about the farmhouse.  Nothing really nearby the farmhouse that could count as abundant resources.  you have to walk a fair distance just to gather firewood which is dangerous in itself if you are playing voyager or stalker mode considering the constant wolf patrols.   I guess you could duck into the barn for safety, but other than that it's a pretty good distance between safe spaces and the farmhouse.

Well, it depends , I suppose.....my answer was on the basis of "If I could build a house....." it would be for a home, a long term stay. And to me, that also requires that you've already gone some way to establishing yourself on Great Bear - you're not still scrabbling around to trap your first rabbit or craft your first deer skin pants.

Maybe in my current run I am lucky, but;

1. Wolves tend to patrol either of the orchards West or South of the farmhouse - they're easily avoidable. But I am at day 300 and something, so wolves themselves are a 'resource' for me now.

2. The trees lining the frozen river leading East to the barn near Heartbreak Bridge regularly drop branches and twigs - as do the trees around the barn itself. Wolves don't patrol that route. And there's rabbits around the barn to be trapped.

3. There's plenty of reclaimed wood to be harvested inside the farmhouse when you first arrive. Get yourself set up and then go gathering firewood.

4. The route leading directly from the farmhouse East to the barn regularly has a couple of deer in the orchard - again, no wolves about, but I accept it's a bit of a pain if you only wing them and they run off over half the map and you end up getting caught, either in a storm or by a wolf. However, those deer are prime candidates to be scared into the vicinity of the wolves that are South of the farmhouse - let the wolf kill the deer and then you kill the wolf.
Edited by past caring
clarity

@past caring looks like you've made some valid points regarding the long term viability of the Farm house as a good place to build and thrive.  Have you perhaps considered a career in Real Estate?  Seems you have a natural knack at pointing out the good features while downplaying the bad!  Are you sure you're not a Realtor in real life?  😉

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, past caring said:

Maybe in my current run I am lucky, but;

Viable, yet lengthy treks for resource gathering compared to other locations.  Also, I would recommend some "bread-crumb trails" leading back to the farm house - those blizzards in PV can be horrific, not to mention there are not many easily-identifiable landmarks around the house (orchards).

Guest jeffpeng

Since accessibility is not a concern I'd build it on that little island in the south-east of Coastal Highway, the one you can't get to, but I guess most people have tried at some point. I'd stand on the porch watching all those poor souls falling through the ice, with a cup of coffee in hand, shouting the occasional "You can do it!" over the ice.

Ah. Retirement.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

Ah. Retirement.

"You can do it!"

my belly is still jiggling from the massive guffaw that burst outta me when I read your post spilling my fresh cup of coffee all over my keyboard.  lol, the things retired people do to keep themselves amused.   My dad always said that youth was wasted on the young.  I'm starting to understand what he meant by that!  

• Upvote 3

On 11/3/2021 at 8:14 PM, piddy3825 said:

After very much internal debate, I finally found my ideal spot.

It would involve razing the broken lighthouse in Bleak Inlet.
I would go course salvage that 6 burner stove, why waste a good stove!screen_99204f45-ee60-400f-a161-ac04423f12e0_hi.thumb.png.6b4f94a1e890757ed30a4b95f777986d.png

First off, the view from the top of the hill there is fantastic.  The dock is in fairly good shape too, so when rescue final does come,
I'll be able to see em coming and can run right down and meet them at the waters edge...  

Ya know, Pid - after spending some time here I also think this would be an awesome place for a renovation.  Something about cooking outside while an aurora is in effect and the night sounds seem to be unique here.

• Upvote 2

screen_615bce05-4fdc-4879-adb2-d60839b5463f_hi.thumb.png.14d8cd948ebef8784806be75c5edb15c.png

I've always liked the view from Signal Hill in Pleasant Valley. This is just a preliminary idea, but I would raze the Radio Control Hut and have the Hunting Lodge from Broken Railroad moved here and renovated. I would also have a Prepper's Cache built under it, with a secondary emergency hatch I could access from a lower part of the hill, just in case I were to return home with the groceries in dire weather and I needed a quick shortcut to my lair. ;)

Alternatively, I'd build a similar housing solution and place it roughly where the Abandoned Lookout is located in Coastal Highway. That's another spot with a decent vista and in a region with better weather.

Edited by Morrick
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

sure would take a lot of excavating thru solid rock though, especially if you located your house up there on signal hill.

Ah, you're right. I didn't think about it. Thank goodness I'm not a house designer, haha!

5 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

betcha your glad you found those detonators in episode 4, am I right?

Boom boom boom! :D

• Like 2

I've always wanted to make a base up on the Summit of TWM.  

It be cool to glass in the open portion of the fuselage and build a proper house around the outside of the tail section, incorportating the wreckage into a functional bit of living space.  It might be a bit a stretch to constantly have  to climb that rope, but then again, just imagine how buff you'd be and howbig your biceps would be after doing all those pullups!

Found another great view location in Mystery Lake.

Top of the rope climb area with the cave.  I think it's called Lake Overlook

screen_b9288616-5485-46b8-8f06-18553c0824e6_hi.thumb.png.cc7f2560b899252718812a79e8692ca5.png

I don't know why I'm carrying that lantern in the middle of the day, but I did just come outta that dark cave.
pretty good view from up here.  got some rabbits running around so a little fresh meat everday without too much effort.  Never seen a wolf or a bear up here either, so that's a bonus too

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, RandomPlayer said:

I've always wanted to make a base up on the Summit of TWM.  

It be cool to glass in the open portion of the fuselage and build a proper house around the outside of the tail section, incorportating the wreckage into a functional bit of living space.  It might be a bit a stretch to constantly have  to climb that rope, but then again, just imagine how buff you'd be and howbig your biceps would be after doing all those pullups!

Build this off the back of the fuselage!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Found another great view location in Mystery Lake.

Top of the rope climb area with the cave.  I think it's called Lake Overlook

screen_b9288616-5485-46b8-8f06-18553c0824e6_hi.thumb.png.cc7f2560b899252718812a79e8692ca5.png

I don't know why I'm carrying that lantern in the middle of the day, but I did just come outta that dark cave.
pretty good view from up here.  got some rabbits running around so a little fresh meat everday without too much effort.  Never seen a wolf or a bear up here either, so that's a bonus too

One of the first places I posted - great spot!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

One of the first places I posted - great spot!

oops, didn't mean to steal your thunder!  It is really a great view point of the lake.  I could see a big A frame construction with floor to ceiling windows so it would feel like your standing on the edge looking out over creation!

Image a nice hot tub and outdoor fireplace on the deck...

• Upvote 1

Just now, piddy3825 said:

oops, didn't mean to steal your thunder!  It is really a great view point of the lake.  I could see a big A frame construction with floor to ceiling windows so it would feel like your standing on the edge looking out over creation!

Image a nice hot tub and outdoor fireplace on the deck...

Dude, you nailed it!  Maybe even a glass floor overhanging the cliff!

On 11/2/2021 at 2:38 PM, hozz1235 said:

What if there was no such thing as cabin fever?  Hmm..couldn't one also get "cave fever"?

Nah. One would just turn into some primitive caveman covered in animal furs, tossing sticks and stones at the wildlife ...
...oh...  wait...

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

....  wow, what a view!

It is beautiful! I do love Coastal Highway -- maybe relocate one of those cozy Campground cabins here, add in a little 2-burner stove and re-arrange/upgrade the furniture a bit and it's a definite yes!

Edited by twyn1
spelling/grammar