If you could build a house...

hozz1235

9 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Now wouldn't it be cool if could do stuff like that in the game?   I'd be taking the hood off of one of the cars to use as a sled, which would be used to haul a couple of stoves to my new crib.  Of course, I'd have a team of Reindeer all hitched up to pull my hoodsleigh around as I went about looting and salvaging the region of its salvageable building materials.  All those planks laying around just waiting to be repurposed!  Imagine what you could do with all those pallets!  I can imagine flattening out all those left over tin cans and using them as roof materials.  

You're what?
Tin roof
Rusted!

Reindeer? Someone's getting in the holiday mood early😁

I'd probably expand one of the cabins up in Bear Creek Campground off of Coastal Highway (which is my favorite region by far), or I'd rebuild the Lonely Homestead in Pleasant Valley - I love the birch woods there, they are just so pretty.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 3:32 AM, Kranium said:

I don't like doxxing myself, so I'll only say interior/northern BC. Our ranch is surrounded by "crown land" & we have a number of horses and cattle etc.

I'm intimately familiar with the landscapes & weather in this game! lol

Sounds incredible. <jealous>

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've scoped out TWM's highest peaks thinking the vantage would be fabulous, but I was disappointed.  I am now moving on to AC's vantages to see if I can find a better homestead there.

<Wolf's Jaw Overlook> Fabulous view, but...all the burnt trees down below...here's a look:

Edited by hozz1235
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I've scoped out TWM's highest peaks thinking the vantage would be fabulous, but I was disappointed.  I am now moving on to AC's vantages to see if I can find a better homestead there.

<Wolf's Jaw Overlook> Fabulous view, but...all the burnt trees down below...here's a look:

Love that place. I always admired this wiew so ı forget to take screenshots lol.

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2021 at 4:06 PM, twyn1 said:

I'd probably expand one of the cabins up in Bear Creek Campground off of Coastal Highway (which is my favorite region by far), or I'd rebuild the Lonely Homestead in Pleasant Valley - I love the birch woods there, they are just so pretty.

Lonely Homestead would be perfect, I recently built a snow shelter in the birch woods as I find walking through that area rather enchanting. I only lasted four days, mind, due to the horrendous blizzards 🙄😄 Marsh Ridge, too, waking up to the muted, misty golden glow of the Muskeg 😻

• Like 2

I think I would like to fix up Mountaineer's Hut on TWM.

screen_b5e31423-2488-4af4-b478-1222b8b0301d.thumb.png.9b8a55b34a152b0534187b3d986c758e.png

First step into turning this place worthy of any vacation is to fix up that roof. Us survivors can't be expected to sleep while snow is falling on them. Second I would like to make some sort of grill for the fire place. Maybe some more containers... And an open window. Only then can the place be called home.

Edited by APixelatedLemon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, APixelatedLemon said:

I think I would like to fix up Mountaineer's Hut on TWM.

First step into turning this place worthy of any vacation is to fix up that roof. Us survivors can't be expected to sleep while snow is falling on them. Second I would like to make some sort of grill for the fire place. Maybe some more containers... And an open window. Only then can the place be called home.

ok, I took care of that for you, boss.  
It's kinda hard without the right tools, but I think I got you covered.  no pun intended...

screen_71c11e53-02d9-4730-9158-23812119e386_hi.thumb.png.cd9733a308cfc77dcf140ce00c0e7e20.png

screen_cbe25dd3-1e80-4bae-9593-ff85204e8562_hi.thumb.png.4c09c886ecccb7a243085e98b9649eba.png

it's a lot less drafty now and looks pretty decent from the inside.  only took 150 or more pieces of fir.  would have been a lot easier if I had planks...

as far as containers go, build rock caches.  since you can build 5 per map, that's roughly 150 kilos of storage capacity.  I built two out front and two in the back of the hut and the fifth I put by the fishing shack!  I'd rather have more shelf space though, right?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I'll be lashing four of those Enfields together and making a turret gun for my pallet fortress.

@piddy3825

in that case, I'd also want to use one of those old big round wire spools, so I could rig it up to spin around in my pallet turret and cover the entire area 360 degrees!
Why just survive, when you can construct and thrive!

• Like 1

@hozz1235One thing to keep in mind about any house built on a summit is that you'll be blown away much of the time by high winds, and you'll have to carry food and other supplies up a steep hill. IRL, I live near the ocean, but it's on an inlet nearly 7 km inland from the open Atlantic. I'm on a small hill but surrounded by trees on three sides, which keeps my house from flooding or being too cold in the winter.

Below is a photo of a cabin I visited IRL this October. Very secluded in the woods; doesn't it remind you of TLD?

IMG-20211009-02156.thumb.jpg.66ce8562b0ad474686e492e74dcfb572.jpg

The view from your doorstep is great...

IMG-20211010-02163.thumb.jpg.3ee5663b0af3269d695aa012bf9e740c.jpg

IMG-20211010-02166.thumb.jpg.476f395767e1806605e8eb27e9720c9b.jpg

...and there's a nearby cliff to climb too!

IMG-20211011-02256.thumb.jpg.f66c6ae08f6d90962d74cb74dc61cee3.jpg

I will have to come back here someday in the winter to take some more "TLD-like" photos, haha

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Glflegolas said:

@hozz1235One thing to keep in mind about any house built on a summit is that you'll be blown away much of the time by high winds, and you'll have to carry food and other supplies up a steep hill. IRL, I live near the ocean, but it's on an inlet nearly 7 km inland from the open Atlantic. I'm on a small hill but surrounded by trees on three sides, which keeps my house from flooding or being too cold in the winter.

Below is a photo of a cabin I visited IRL this October. Very secluded in the woods; doesn't it remind you of TLD?

Those are some great ideas and photos!  But remember in my initial post, "Don't worry about accessibility or any of that other "silly" stuff! :)  Just for fun."

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Okay, I don't know why it inserted that video again and now I can't remove it...please ignore!

But....I did find a really nice location!  First thing to go would be the fence...  See it below:

Ahh, welcome to Bleak Inlet.  Where it's colder than the icy heart of your cheating exwife.   Outstanding view!  

btw, Hozz, you reek of meat!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

I hope you do go back in the winter and take some pics.  looks like a great place to do a little winter outing for the weekend!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

The view from your doorstep is great...

IMG-20211010-02163.thumb.jpg.3ee5663b0af3269d695aa012bf9e740c.jpg

IMG-20211010-02166.thumb.jpg.476f395767e1806605e8eb27e9720c9b.jpg

...and there's a nearby cliff to climb too!

IMG-20211011-02256.thumb.jpg.f66c6ae08f6d90962d74cb74dc61cee3.jpg

I will have to come back here someday in the winter to take some more "TLD-like" photos, haha

Great pics! That's a beautiful looking place especially with  the autumn colours!  Have to say though I thought it reminded me of Generation zero!

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:32 AM, Kranium said:

I don't like doxxing myself, so I'll only say interior/northern BC. Our ranch is surrounded by "crown land" & we have a number of horses and cattle etc.

I'm intimately familiar with the landscapes & weather in this game! lol

I'm currently a bit south of interior/northern BC -- one of the most beautiful (mostly) wild places I've lived.  ☻ Cheers and warm winds to you and yours.

• Upvote 2

On 11/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, piddy3825 said:

After very much internal debate, I finally found my ideal spot.

It would involve razing the broken lighthouse in Bleak Inlet.
I would go course salvage that 6 burner stove, why waste a good stove!screen_99204f45-ee60-400f-a161-ac04423f12e0_hi.thumb.png.6b4f94a1e890757ed30a4b95f777986d.png

First off, the view from the top of the hill there is fantastic.  The dock is in fairly good shape too, so when rescue final does come,
I'll be able to see em coming and can run right down and meet them at the waters edge...  

Piddy -- I ♥ your choice and agree it's a beauty spot.  However, respectfully submitted : Where is this post-apocalypse, humanity-has-been-mostly-sunset, final "rescue" coming from? Hehe.... cheers mate. ☻

1 hour ago, friedmandesigns said:

Piddy -- I ♥ your choice and agree it's a beauty spot.  However, respectfully submitted : Where is this post-apocalypse, humanity-has-been-mostly-sunset, final "rescue" coming from? Hehe.... cheers mate. ☻

they are obviously not coming...  however, a survivor only survives as long as they have hope in their heart, otherwise they fade into the long dark

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1