Late game activities

Cranky

Short and skinny version: whittling or having a smoke while I waste the day away just enjoying the scenery. 

Like many of you there comes a point in survival mode where I’ve already explored every region and set myself up a base in each that I always return to just to see how much longer I can survive. Currently my stalker run is about 250 days and going strong, plenty of food and resources stalked up at each location and more than enough bullets/arrows/fishing  gear/snares to keep me going for as long as I don’t let stupid happen.

At this point I want to kick back and enjoy the scenery. But in doing so I would still like an activity to do that doesn’t consist is hunting or fetching endless amount of wood. What I really would like is to whittle or have a smoke (perhaps I could have found a pack of old stale cigarettes or jar of tobacco or weed) while sitting on a porch, up in a watch tower, by the lake side, or on a mountain top and just watch the day/night go by. 

I think it would be cool if some kind of meaningless activity could be implemented for us who have made it far enough in the game and have nothing more to explore or do to pass the days away. 

Ideas, thoughts?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cranky said:

for us who have made it far enough in the game and have nothing more to explore . . .

Nothing More to explore ???  

Show us your charcoal maps and lets us see if we can find ares that you have not fully explored.

• Upvote 1

@peteloud, you wanna see my char maps of each region, that’s your response to a wishlist list idea? Lol, didn’t expect to get challenged on my exploring abilities. 

I’ve not achieved faithful cartographer, nor map every part of every region on every run. Having played about 20 runs and spending a whole lot of time in broken railroad, mystery lake, desolation point, coastal highway, pleasant valley, twm, and mountain town I really see no need to remap what I already know so well. Useless to do so in my opinion. I’m sure I’ve missed a corner of hrv or ac (maybe there is a way to get above the climbers cave but no one in these forums seems to have nor have I found a way up) or wherever but that was not the point of my wishlist. 

Thanks for chiming in tho, I suppose I could go for faithful cartographer or harvest every car battery in the game since whittling ain’t happening anytime soon. 

Edited by Cranky

Actually I found FC to be really fulfilling. It takes you to places that you would not otherwise go because you look up that slope and think nothing is up there but when doing FC you see that dark spot on the map and you know you have to go there and map it and you find something up there like a sapling that you never found before.

I have done FC twice now. Of course you only get the achievement once, but you can see your progress in the journal regardless. I am thinking to do it again in my current run to keep my game interesting. My current run is very very cold so FC would take some planning and a lot of condition hit. I love it :)

But i also dont harvest every battery. I don't get a kick out of that.

• 3 weeks later...

IDK what are you looking for but actually complete the collectibles in the journal; notes, buffer memories, cairns, polaroids and surveyed locations (FC). It will take you some time don’t know if it is what you want, otherwise, kill a bear with stones as a challenge xD (IK you cant do that).

On 6/5/2021 at 9:48 PM, Sito said:

like a sapling that you never found before.

Yes, totally keep finding these here or there

4 hours ago, FatDolphin95 said:

kill a bear with stones

He just whines and runs away. At one point, he began ignoring me. Speaking of bears and late game, nothing gets my old blood pumping than a charging bear as I frantically keep unloading my rifle at him. Takes about four bullets. If he is too close....well, prepare your body, dear boy.

13 hours ago, Leeanda said:

If you really want a challenge try to find all the cairns! I'm sure not many people have.

I for one do this every time I play. It's the last thing I do before I leave a region and move on to the next.

• Like 1

Makes it harder as I don't think there's a set amount in each area! I always try to find as many cairns as possible but half the time I can't remember where half of them are! My best run is about 80! But on this run I've only found about 70 and I thought I'd been more thorough!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it would be fun to have something like some musical item or something.

I have a hard time with late game. Some, like the suggestions above, have a fairly easy go of finding the excitement to chart every corner of the map, break everything down, find cairns and such.  I'm genuinely happy for them.  

I can't do that.  Even in the "chill" state of mind...I still can't do that.  At some point the activities that some find satisfaction as a relaxing obsession, becomes to me like filling out a tax form.  So I wouldn't mind something to be added that's chill-specific.  Maybe it will help that for relaxing runs or parts of them that are.

Otherwise I'll probably be coming up with a new idea for a run that I have to figure out how to not die from or seems cool at some level. 

• Like 1

Devs could make a little treasure hunt for finding a good old pipe, that would fit the setting really well. Imagine climbing the Ash Canyon mountains, sitting down to grind some tobacco and lighting up your trusty pipe while enjoying the scenery. My satisfaction would be immense.

On 6/26/2021 at 2:01 AM, Leeanda said:

Makes it harder as I don't think there's a set amount in each area! I always try to find as many cairns as possible but half the time I can't remember where half of them are! My best run is about 80! But on this run I've only found about 70 and I thought I'd been more thorough!

Actually they are in fixed locations, that's how I find them lol. I made myself a spreadsheet that has every cairn for every region, along with the message and backer # just to be thorough. For me the real nightmare is trying to collect all buffer memories, because THAT is random. And they don't cycle, it's random every aurora. So if there's 5 messages on one particular computer, you only have a 20% chance per aurora of getting the memory you want. In other words if you've got 4 of 5 collected, every time there's an aurora you have an 80% chance of striking out and getting a duplicate!