Improvised Structures

Haze

It would be cool to see if you are able to build improvised structures to protect you from the environment.

E.G: An improvised fence/barrier.

•This would be made from possibly reclaimed wood scrap and metal/sticks
Scrap metal could me melted down  at a forge or crafted at a workbench using tools to make metal barbed wires to upgrade the fence.

•This can be used as a defence against wolves only scaring them and making them bleed temporarily if they come into contact with the barber wire fence.

•Bears can to easily destroy this structure they will take minimal damage from the barbed wire.

• Blizzards and strong winds can wear down this structure’s condition over time but can be fixed using basic materials.

0BF127E2-32C0-4B45-A8E5-C2AF194F8E94.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Counter points:

• they will likely weigh a ton if you have to make metal at a forge and then carry it around in case you ever decide to build a fence.

• gun is much more effective and/or it would make more sense to hunker down in a car/cave/house vs building a fence if you plan to stay in some place fair amount of time.

• if there is a blizzard coming, you'd be better off in a structure vs being outside and protected by fence.

It's a pleasure to not have to bother with building in this game... at least there's no Preston prattling on that "another settlement needs to your help" and settlers complaining that they don't have enough beds... I don't spend hours in this game trying to get wall A to snap with floor B, etc.... and when I want to do that, I can always play that game or a myriad of others that involve building things.

As others have said, the materials for building structures are generally going to be too heavy to be practical to move about in this game.  Furthermore, building things should realistically take a lot of time and calories... and a more involved set of animation that just a depleting circle on a black screen showing the passage of the time (i.e. something this game simply wasn't designed to show).

The environment is the game is wild and beautifully illustrated.  I would not want to start chopping down the trees in order to clutter the landscape with a bunch of makeshift structures.  I prefer the philosophy of "leaving only footprints, and taking only pictures."

ETA:  Another problem that arises frequently in FO4 is NPC's being unable to path among objects the player has built.  TLD has enough issues with animal pathing as it is.  Adding in player-made structures would likely complicate those issues even more.

Edited by UpUpAway95

If there weren't premade luxury buildings and caves, prioritizing these sort of things would make more sense, but currently not really. There could be something added for modifying interior aesthetics and storage options but I too am glad there aren't the usual "build a mansion with 3 wood and 2 iron" and "to construct a satellite dish you need 60 metal and 1 computer chip" type of nonsensical building mechanics in TLD like in many other survival games

Edited by Mistral

Kind of hard to drive fence posts into frozen ground. Putting wire fence (obstructions) around porches and small existing area's to make them safer would make sense though. There are certainly defensive things one would do if we were being hunted by wolves on a regular basis. 

It would be very realistic to make improvised barriers as the O.P. suggests. Heck, one would devise some sort of traps/snares as well. 

Regardless from other crafting wishes etc., i would like to have a safehouse customization as it was notet on the early roadmap. Just to be able to repair the roof at the hut in TWM would be great or the ability to make the church a base with a fence. Or the possibility to build an anteroom like the one at the farmstead in order to give you the possibility to observe the area in front of you before actually going outside.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Karl Grylls said:

Regardless from other crafting wishes etc., i would like to have a safehouse customization as it was notet on the early roadmap. Just to be able to repair the roof at the hut in TWM would be great or the ability to make the church a base with a fence. Or the possibility to build an anteroom like the one at the farmstead in order to give you the possibility to observe the area in front of you before actually going outside.

Yeah I agree it would be nice to upgrade structures already there

I was hoping they could add more stuff in the radial menu next to the campfire and snow shelter some other item you can place 

i don’t want this game to be like minecraft or some other survival game requiring you 50 wood and 50 metal to build a structure of some sort that’s not what I meant at all.

maybe in the radial menu there could be space for a tent that can store items in some kind of container:

1 hour ago, Haze said:

Yeah I agree it would be nice to upgrade structures already there

I was hoping they could add more stuff in the radial menu next to the campfire and snow shelter some other item you can place 

i don’t want this game to be like minecraft or some other survival game requiring you 50 wood and 50 metal to build a structure of some sort that’s not what I meant at all.

maybe in the radial menu there could be space for a tent that can store items in some kind of container:

We can build up to 5 rock caches in each zone to use as extra storage containers.  They can be placed outdoors almost anywhere.  The only limitation other than the zone maximum is that they can't be placed close together.  None of the resources used to build it (i.e. 50 stones) are lost when you dismantle it.  The snow shelter basically serves as "a tent."  It's noted drawbacks are that it consumes cloth to build, sometimes consumes cloth to repair, isn't terribly warm and you can't build a fire inside it, and it isn't easy to place in many locations in the world.  I don't see how a tent structure would function any differently... it would only look different.  A further likely drawback to a tent is that you would likely require a bedroll in order to sleep inside it; whereas, the snow shelter at least allows the player to sleep without necessarily having a bedroll in their inventory.

Upgrading houses is a different matter.  I'd like to be able to clean up the interiors more than we already can.  This could be accomplished by allowing us to harvest more of the items inside them.  For example, I see no reason why all the broken bed frames in the Hunting Lodge cannot be harvested with a hacksaw in the same way as the metal shelves anywhere else.  However, I don't really agree with letting us fix the roof on the Mountaineer's Hut or otherwise repairing or changing the exteriors of structures.  These buildings in their state of ruin are part of the basic artistry of the game's landscape itself and allowing us to alter them would feel "Minecrafty" to me. 

The next thing we know, we'll be wanting to rebuild the dock in Bleak Inlet to access the cannery more easily or rebuilding the fallen lighthouse despite there already being an intact one in Desolation Point... where we're apparently already wanting to rebuild the church instead.  Adapting the game's coding to accept all these player-made changes and account for their effects (e.g. making what is currently an outdoor area into an indoor one) would basically require Hinterlands to rebuild the game from scratch.  I'm not going to ask them to do that.

The way the game is structured now, structures would be pre-determined and have specific footprints and requirements for placement.  That is why the snow shelter can be frustratingly hard to place especially when one finds what one thinks is the absolutely perfect location for it.  It just doesn't fit.  A tent would be not that different from a snow shelter just has different integral components. 

I really would like to see a kind of "Clear Room" command which would clear tables, clear counters, clear shelves, put chairs back up against a table, close cabinets whose doors were ajar and similarly for drawers that were not completely closed.  The broken doors and drawers, TVs on the floor, the cups, plates, bowls, cutting boards, and anything that was non-functional would just be swept away.  Alternately, though sort of immersion-breaking, make non-functional/interactable items like cups, utensils, bowls, plates, and such that were on tables, counters, and shelves not interfere with placement of items on the tables, counters, and shelves. 

If it is not a container or can't be interacted with then there should be the option to make it "go away".  But that would be a lot of work for the devs, I would expect, so highly unlikely but I would really like it. 

• Upvote 1