Things NOT to do

Glflegolas

Actually when it comes to preplaced carcasses, either harvest everything, or leave it alone. The moment you touch it, the decay meter starts, and they're already damaged to begin with. If you're not prepared to take everything, take nothing.

• Upvote 6

With Tales from the Far Territories, I have a few more tips. Don't...

• carry a bunch of pre-made pies or pancakes on you, "in case you need the buff". They deteriorate very fast, 20% per day. If you want to make a bunch for long-term storage, put them outside.
  • wander around Forsaken Airfield when the visibility is poor, unless you like getting horribly lost.
  • try looking for Transponder Caches without a flashlight. Aurora wolves are very dangerous and won't flee from gunshots, flares, or even flaregun rounds that miss.
  • worry too much about insomnia. It might be annoying, but it's only dangerous if your condition is really low and you need to recover it by sleeping.
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Depends can you play interloper well?

I don't know.. I've only just played it lately but I lasted three weeks without a bedroll. until I got bored with it..  but I've done a stalker run too which lasted over 100+ days..

• 1 month later...

Never rage shoot bears that just mauled you expecting RNG to give you a kill. Especially after the second mauling. Just stop the blood loss and move on. Trust me.

Never assume your survivor is well prepared enough that you cannot be killed by one crappy decision. Because you can. Particularly by rage shooting bears.

Never assume you can shoot 3 wolves just outside the PV farmhouse and harvest them in peace and in proximity to cooking facilities, because you ABSOLUTELY can get mauled by a bear while doing so. And if it happens, never rage shoot the bear. Not that I’ve ever done…oh well, I absolutely did that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

On 10/8/2023 at 7:31 PM, TiffTastic said:

Never rage shoot bears that just mauled you expecting RNG to give you a kill. Especially after the second mauling. Just stop the blood loss and move on. Trust me.

Never assume your survivor is well prepared enough that you cannot be killed by one crappy decision. Because you can. Particularly by rage shooting bears.

Never assume you can shoot 3 wolves just outside the PV farmhouse and harvest them in peace and in proximity to cooking facilities, because you ABSOLUTELY can get mauled by a bear while doing so. And if it happens, never rage shoot the bear. Not that I’ve ever done…oh well, I absolutely did that. 

Never ever laugh at live bears. Unless you can quickly duck into a vehicle or under a fallen tree after taking the shot, that is...

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

With the addition of the Travois, here are a few don'ts I have collected.

• Don't go on a long Travois-trip without carrying along a cured deer hide and gut. The Travois wears out as it's dragged along, and having the Travois need repair in an undesirable location (without supplies on hand) can be a very unpleasant surprise.
  • Don't haul car batteries without a Travois. They're just so. darn. heavy.
  • Don't load more than 20 kg on the Travois if you need to portage. Otherwise, portaging will mean multiple trips.
  • Don't travel in the dark with a Travois. It's impossible to equip a light source when dragging it, which can make it very hard to see where you're going.
  • Upvote 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:38 AM, Smellyfries said:

Don't try to mountain goat in The Ravine

This was a strange choice by HL.  Was the goal of killboxes was to keep us from goating down into a part of the map where we couldn't get out, and ... die?  Why not let us goat down there and just die from exposure or hunger or something instead of instant death?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Why not let us goat down there and just die from exposure or hunger or something instead of instant death?

Especially now that you can actually escape from The Ravine by going through Bleak Inlet, so why not just let us Mountain Goat down, sprain every ankle and wrist, and have to go the long way around for not just being patient and looking for a rope?

10 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

This was a strange choice by HL.  Was the goal of killboxes was to keep us from goating down into a part of the map where we couldn't get out, and ... die?  Why not let us goat down there and just die from exposure or hunger or something instead of instant death?

1 hour ago, Smellyfries said:

Especially now that you can actually escape from The Ravine by going through Bleak Inlet, so why not just let us Mountain Goat down, sprain every ankle and wrist, and have to go the long way around for not just being patient and looking for a rope?

I put a suggestion on the wish list to remove the instakill walls in general and in the ravine citing exactly those sentiments and the admin team responded that they would take the request into consideration.  I hope they do, because what's the difference if my character is going to die because I goat down into an area that I can't get back out or I just die from making the first step.  dead is dead, but at least it shouldn't be instantly because I make a foolish decision to press my luck.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

New Tip: Choosing the wrong base

Given that The Long Dark is an open-world sandbox game, having a safe, secure base to return to at the end of your adventures is important. While players' opinions on the best bases are quite varied and subjective, there are a few objective criteria that help make a good base:

• Conveniently located in the region
  • Can navigate during daytime without a light source
  • Has a firebox indoors or just outside
  • Has an interior
  • Has a bed
  • Plenty of storage
  • Multiple food sources in the local area
  • Doesn't have live wires
  • Few predators in the immediate area
  • A Forge and/or Ammunition Workbench is not too far away

It is difficult to get a base that meets all these criteria, but the more criteria on the list the base checks off, generally, the better. The page on Safehouses gives a few suggestions for each region.

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:12 PM, Glflegolas said:
  • Don't load more than 20 kg on the Travois if you need to portage. Otherwise, portaging will mean multiple trips.

Counterpoint: DO load more than 20kg on the Travois, but put your high-quantity low-weight items in there. Carry your batteries etc. in your pack.  Like 20kg of cattails you hoarded from the Muskeg. If you need to portage. drop the travois, go where you need to go, then drop those 2 batteries you're lugging the hard way. Go back for the travois, take everything into your pack, and pick up the travois.

When you get past the blockage, deploy the travois, then dump all those cattails directly back in, then shove the car batteries back in your shirt pocket. A lot less trouble than picking up hundreds of cattails off the ground.

• Upvote 3

On 2/2/2024 at 7:00 AM, Gryphon said:

Hi all! Where locate the saves files for the Steam version of the survival mode game are now? Sometimes a stupid death occurs. I would like to save at least occasionally...

FYI this isn't the best place to post something like this. If you can't find the answer through independent searching, https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/forum/31-survival-mode/ would be the best thread to post this question in.

However that out of the way I actually do have an answer--assuming you're using Windows, Survival saves are located: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\Survival

• Upvote 2