Things NOT to do

Glflegolas

5 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

I assume that it was weather mostly and wildlife here and there but when mapping with no fire animals can see you and get to you before you cancel the mapping

I know 🙂 but it is PV so I'm not sure which  is worse😁

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Wolves both times.  Missed with my arrow on the first one, and the second one completely got the jump on me.  I was down to about 20% health the second time.  Of course the weather doesn't help.

Well I'm glad you made it ! Did you finishing mapping or give up?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Well, I'm out of Pleasant Valley so that's probably the worst of it.  Only Timberwolf, Hushed River Valley, and Ash Canyon left.

All the best places for Mapping then. All those high ledges and overlooks save a lot of time.  Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Get impatient and travel in a blizzard or heavy fog, even if you know the way, especially at night 

This is a sure way to get turned around in a way that will get you killed. I'm pretty familiar with TWM, and was making my way back from Ash Canyon when a blizzard hit right around dusk. I made it to the Forest Cave, and should have STOPPED there. But no, I was impatient, and wanted to get back to the Mountaineer's Hut. So I gathered up what wood I could find, and headed off into the storm on what, I thought, was a straight-line shot to the Hut. If I had been smart, I would have just followed the mountain wall around to the left, which would have led me right to the Hut, but no, I knew better...I KNEW  I could find Crystal Lake.  

What I ENDED up finding was ANOTHER cave...one with bones in it...yup, the bear cave under Echo Peak. The bear hadn't come home, yet, but probably would be, soon. Because I was freezing at this point, I built a fire, and still had wood and coal to spare. Didn't have the flare pistol (had mistakenly left it somewhere), but had a rifle...hmmm...question was, though, did I have enough wood and coal to wait out the blizzard AND the bear, who was bound to come along any time now? Probably not.

So, from the bear cave to Crystal Lake is a pretty straight shot right out of the cave...you just have to go in a straight line. I made a snap decision to try for it. So, back out into the storm I went. I was walking-running-walking, when I stopped, and thought, "This is dumb...I have enough wood, I should just go back to the cave and wait out the bear, blast him when he comes, then spend a comfortable night 'indoors. I mean the FIRE is still BURNING!" Yup...could just barely see the inviting glow through the blowing snow.

This leads me to my second tip: If you're going to do something in TLD that might save your life, commit to it, because if you don't, you will most likely die. While I was standing there deciding whether I should continue on or go back, who should loom up out of the murk but the same bear I was thinking of offing. Needless to say, things got ugly -- and bloody -- from there. Three attacks, and I went into my own Long Dark.

Could I have taken the bear out if I'd remained in the cave? Probably. I was ready for it, and far enough back in the cave to get two shots into it. Would the bear have missed me if I'd kept walking? Probably; I didn't see it until it was almost on top of me (of course I could have been unlucky and wandered into it, but my trajectory on THIS trip would have taken me diagonally away from it).

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Grab a glass of water, pet my cat to calm down, aaaand...restart.

• Upvote 3

DONT…

• Carry raw meat just so you can make a pie with it “later”.
  • Harvest guts from preplaced carcasses. Just don’t.
  • Go out playing with wolves.
  • Forget to take your bedroll.
  • Leave your hacksaw at the Hut.
  • Assume the bear is dead.
  • Release bunnies and ptarmigans.
  • Use antiseptic to cure food poisoning.
  • Carry 50 pieces of coal. 20 will do just fine.

18 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

DONT…

• Carry raw meat just so you can make a pie with it “later”.
  • Harvest guts from preplaced carcasses. Just don’t.
  • Go out playing with wolves.
  • Forget to take your bedroll.
  • Leave your hacksaw at the Hut.
  • Assume the bear is dead.
  • Release bunnies and ptarmigans.
  • Use antiseptic to cure food poisoning.
  • Carry 50 pieces of coal. 20 will do just fine.

I've done all of them except the antiseptic thing 😁

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

But why? Why on earth would you let go of a rabbit once you’ve caught it?!

So I can just cuddle it briefly,, and when I was doing the achievement,or rather trying to😁.  I haven't done either in a very long time though...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

New player here: In the year I've played TLD I've learned these few things.

Don't assume your torch is going to survive a wind gust. Always carry 1 or 2 emergency flares.

Don't pick fights with Timber Wolf packs unprepared, you look down and realize you're freezing, tired, thirsty and hungry and you've still got 5 wolves left in the fight.

Don't start harvesting a kill at dusk if you're uncomfortable with the aura. Wait until morning, the meat may need to be thawed, but at least you can protect yourself.

Don't sleep on random ledges with meat on you. Bears can get to some incredible places and will eat you while you sleep. Especially if you sleep right above a bear cave you didn't know was there.

Don't drop torches on rocks, the cracks and snow limit the fire protective radius and wolves will instigate a struggle.

Don't be afraid to die. Even with perma-death, every mistake and poor choice is a learning experience.

Don't be afraid to try things your own way. What works for others might not work for you. 

Don't stick to the same paths. You'll never find new resources.

Don't fall in love with bear fights, you'll live longer. 

Don't be scared of frostbite in the early game.  Yes it's a permanent health loss, but not detrimental to a successful run.

Don't ever think you're alone. Assume you're being stalked by a wolf you can't see or hear always.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Why not?

Murphy’s Law ;).

Early game, especially on Loper, when you don’t have any harvesting tools, you’ll need to defrost the carcass (an hour) and then harvesting the guts by hand will take another hour.

Since most people (at least me, anyway) usually tend harvest the meat and hide before guts, that’s about 3 hours you’ll be spending harvesting, usually out in the open, away from windbreaking terrain. The chances of wind staying calm for that long are pretty slim, and then the wolves come…

Oh yeah, and guts are too stinky to carry back from the inconvenient places the carcasses usually spawn in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Murphy’s Law ;).

Early game, especially on Loper, when you don’t have any harvesting tools, you’ll need to defrost the carcass (an hour) and then harvesting the guts by hand will take another hour.

Since most people (at least me, anyway) usually tend harvest the meat and hide before guts, that’s about 3 hours you’ll be spending harvesting, usually out in the open, away from windbreaking terrain. The chances of wind staying calm for that long are pretty slim, and then the wolves come…

Oh yeah, and guts are too stinky to carry back from the inconvenient places the carcasses usually spawn in.

Perhaps, "Don't harvest guts from pre-placed carcasses unless you have the tools and time to do so" ;)

• Upvote 1