Things NOT to do

Glflegolas

I recently found a sleeping bear in BI.  I wanted to test a few techiniques so I did a save backup, before playing with the sleeping bear.

I won't tell you what I learned.  I suggest that when you come across a sleeping bear you do the same, backup a save then mess about trying a few things.

24 minutes ago, peteloud said:

I recently found a sleeping bear in BI.  I wanted to test a few techiniques so I did a save backup, before playing with the sleeping bear.

I won't tell you what I learned.  I suggest that when you come across a sleeping bear you do the same, backup a save then mess about trying a few things.

I play on Xbox - no backups.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, peteloud said:

I assume what you found is that it takes some effort to actually wake a sleeping bear in the game.  What the player doesn't know, however, is how close the bear is to waking up naturally to go back to resuming it's patrol.  In this case, bad timing can get you killed (oops - to be more precise... can get you mauled... whether the bear leaves you alive or not is reliant on an entirely different set of parameters).

So, to put in in a more boring speech - The surest way for a player to make sure the bear they shot is dead is to check their journal first.

Edited by UpUpAway95

11 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Don't go to sleep for eight hours with a bleeding wound.

Self-explanatory.  R.I.P. my 83 day interloper survivor.

Sorrry for your loss.  On this same note... do not go to sleep without making sure your antiseptic works (if you're using the bottled stuff rather than the old man's beard dressings).  I once lost a character to infection because I failed to note that my 45% antiseptic failed to do its job.

• Upvote 1

Just now, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I didn't even know that could happen.  Probably because I usually use the lichen for that purpose because it's lighter.

Yeah, it caught me by surprise as well.  The lichen is definitely my preference... even more so since that happened.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

I've used 39% antiseptic and it worked weird (though that was on voyager)

It's RNG.  Once the condition of it gets below 50% (i.e. in the "yellow" zone) there is a small chance it can fail.  It's the same as it is with food giving you food poisoning... always RNG.  I've even accidentally eaten raw meat and not have it give me food poisoning.  In that case, the odds are extremely high that it will give you food poisoning, but not quite 100%.

ETA:  They also claim that sodas can never give you food poisoning regardless of condition.  I no longer believe them since I have gotten food poisoning once from a 6^ can of Stacy's Grape soda.  Again, the odds must be extremely low... I've probably played 2000 to 3000 hours in this game now and only had the one instance happen... but it did happen, so it can happen again.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mfuegemann said:

If possible, don't use low condition hacksaws on containers. If they brake, the container is ruined too and cannot be opened afterwards. 

I did not know that.  That is a good piece of advice! 
Especially if you know the container's contents are something you could really use.  

• Upvote 1

If possible, don't use low condition hacksaws on containers. If they brake, the container is ruined too and cannot be opened afterwards. 

I've never had that happen and I've done it  quite a few times!  Including today actually

I try to open the container I think has the best chance of having simple or quality tools first when at the summit.  That way, if the hacksaw's condition falls too far, I can repair it (even if I have to scrap some other tool for the metal first).

41 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Happened to me once on my interloper run.  I was looking forward to the contents of that cargo container, too.

That's some bad luck. Maybe its just more likely on harder levels?  Probably not but its just a thought! 

Its too easy on pilgrim, the tools are always in the same container and there's about 3-4 hacksaws inside! 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That's some bad luck. Maybe its just more likely on harder levels?  Probably not but its just a thought! 

Its too easy on pilgrim, the tools are always in the same container and there's about 3-4 hacksaws inside! 

No, I had it happen to me and I was on a voyager run, or maybe it was pilgrim... but I had to reload my save to try again with a higher quality hacksaw. But in regards of loot, I find the same type of tools or food in each container I open, making me think it's the same no matter what.

4 minutes ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

No, I had it happen to me and I was on a voyager run, or maybe it was pilgrim... but I had to reload my save to try again with a higher quality hacksaw. But in regards of loot, I find the same type of tools or food in each container I open, making me think it's the same no matter what.

Maybe I'm just lucky then, so far anyway.   Good job you could reload though, shame to lose all that loot!!  Seems to be the same. I just tried the weapon one with them off in the settings wondering what would be in there and all I got were cleaning kits!😀  It would've been more use if I'd got the ammo at least  I could've harvested them!

17 hours ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

Fewer containers spawn into the tail section on Interloper overall.  The general type of contents in the containers that do spawn contain the same sort of loot as those same containers would in Pilgrim (exception the higher quality items that simply don't spawn at all in Interloper).  Pilgrim also has more items in each container because Pilgrim allows for a higher "container item density" than interloper.  No specific item inside the containers is absolutely guaranteed; that is, I have done test runs with Pilgrim loot settings that have not spawned an additional hacksaw inside a container at the summit, some are missing the rifle, some don't have a heavy hammer, some don't have an expedition parka, some have two.  There is a random factor at work in addition to the various settings that control loot types and loot amounts.

Also through such testing, I have determined that the best way to have Loper amounts of loot with a chance at finding things like an Expedition Parka is to set the Baseline Resource Availability setting to Very High (as it is in PIlgrim) and then set all the other loot control settings to the same as Interloper:  That is:  Item Decay Rate to Very High, Loose Item Availability to Low, Empty Container Chance Modifier to High, Starting Gear Allocation to Low (so players spawns without matches or bedroll), and Reduce Container Item Density to High.  This will ensure that the same amount of containers in the world are empty and there will be fewer loose items next to corpses as in interloper and that far fewer containers will contain more than one item, but still allow high quality items to randomly spawn on occasion.  One should note that this will also allow knives, hatchets and bows to spawn.  However, the overall amount of loot will not be as overwhelming as it is in Stalker, Voyageur or Pilgrim.

Conversely, one can have PIlgrim amounts of loot without hatchets, knives or higher clothing by setting Baseline Resource Availability to Low and then the other settings to Pilgrim levels.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

Just a reflection out of my current interloper run: Don't give up too soon. The game will let You know, when it is time for the long dark.
I started in DP and it took me 20 days to find a sleeping bag. Before that I was in the AC gold mine and on top of TWM. I had to build a snow shelter once to sleep off a bear attack on my way to the summit. At this point I was tempted to end the run. Now I am equipped with full tools and a bow and on my way to cooking level 5.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pro-tip: the ballistic vest found in Blackrock Prison does NOT prevent broken ribs from a moose stomping!  I tested this myself on the moose spawn outside the prison.  At 80% armor, I took very little damage from the stomping, but still got broken ribs.