Wet Crampons

Booch

That sounds weird. I was running around in a blizzard (I want the badge) and my crampons got 43% wet. They are at 96% health.  Went inside and started a fire to dry everything out.  All clothes dries in an hour or so except for the crampons.  They went up to 46% wet.  Literally put them under a stove and let it run for another 4 hours. Came back...46% wet. It's been 2 in-game days and they are still 46% wet.  Bug?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

I think they're bugged. Mine have been 6% wet for days now, inside sitting on a table lol. to test, i sat them on the floor next to a stove and lit a fire for an hour. no change. I'm going to report it as bugged.

I was kinda hoping I wasn't the only one. Appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

I don't really know how metal that is strapped to your shoes can be wet or frozen, but on the other hand NOT letting it freeze would provide 100% protection for a satchel or ear wrap worn on the inner accessory layer.

My biggest problem is I keep calling the darn things crumpets. I've done it like 20 times now.

• Like 1

Hey did some messing about on this; it looks like the state is not updating until you equip the crampons, and then they show the new wetness value.

If someone else can test to see if that seems to be the case, that'd be awesome; it would allow a bug report that would probably allow them to home right in on the software issue that's causing this.

• Upvote 2

On 12/16/2020 at 9:08 AM, stratvox said:

Hey did some messing about on this; it looks like the state is not updating until you equip the crampons, and then they show the new wetness value.

If someone else can test to see if that seems to be the case, that'd be awesome; it would allow a bug report that would probably allow them to home right in on the software issue that's causing this.

Confirmed! I put on the crampons and their wetness diminished almost immediately.

@stratvox why don't you go ahead and report the bug since you noticed it :)

I think the correct method is put crampons on the table or on the ground. Then drop one cloth. Now right click on the cloth. Drag cloth over crampons and use the mouse wheel to rotate it here and there. This way you can dry them. :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, acada said:

I think the correct method is put crampons on the table or on the ground. Then drop one cloth. Now right click on the cloth. Drag cloth over crampons and use the mouse wheel to rotate it here and there. This way you can dry them. :D 

Lol. What about going to a cliff, drop them, right click and then jump. Probably dry quickly on the way down.

Edited by Booch
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

As of v1.93 it appears that wet crampons stay wet, apparently indefinitely...

I ended up getting dunked trying to grab an item that was very far out on thin ice... I was able to run out to pick it up, but even with "sure footing" I wasn't able to get back before falling through.  Ever since, the crampons register as wet... however there is no percentage displayed - just says "Wet."

When I got back to the Mountaineer's Hut, I kept a fire going for 3 days (with the crampons sitting right next to the fireplace) but the crampons have still not "dried out."  (I did try reequipping them as mentioned in previous posts - but they still just register as wet, again without a percentage)

Does anyone have any new information about this?
Those who have submitted a trouble ticket with Hinterland, have they said whether or not they were looking into it?

If not, I'll submit a ticket myself... but I wanted to know first if it was already being worked on.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

On 1/24/2021 at 4:44 PM, ManicManiac said:

As of v1.93 it appears that wet crampons stay wet, apparently indefinitely...

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I'd noticed this myself (crampons 5% wet) but without any performance drop or degrading (they are still 100%) I didn't worry about it that much.
But as noted up the thread, they only dry out if they are equipped. I just got caught in a blizzard on my way back to the Climber's Hut and needed to light a fire to dry my clothing out when I got there. Lit fire, dropped clothing and crampons, cooked up a bunch of food ready for tomorrow's excursion - clothing at 20% - 30% wetness dried out in no time. Crampons stayed 5% wet after 3 hours in front of a roaring fire - until I put them on, then they dried out.

I reported it and got an email back. The problem is not that they're wet; the state is what it's supposed to be according to the game "rules" all the time; the problem is that the UI is not updating properly until certain kinds of events happen, like equipping them. There's probably an event loop of some kind on the crampons that's not sending messages properly to update the UI for the player, but another routine forces the UI update to happen, and my guess is that's in the "equip" code somewhere... maybe it's updating because when you equip items it can affect the overall layout of the usual UI, so the "equip" routine queries the entire state of a piece of equipment and updates the UI, e.g. when you equip a bow queries have to happen to be able to put things up like the arrow capacity, rifles get graphics about how many bullets are loaded plus how many you have in your pack, and so on, so that ends up forcing the crampons to send a message detailing its current state, including its wetness and then the equip routine does the UI updating.

All that's speculation without being able to see the code, of course. I really don't have any particular insight into how the internal plumbing of TLD works... but this would make a lot of sense to me.

Edited by stratvox
edited for clarity
  • Like 1

I had crampons that got 3% wet and stayed that way - I only equip them to climb a rope.  I had heard about having them equipped, so when I went to bed I put them on.  I was not going to be walking around with them.  They were dry when I woke up.  

When the devs finally decide whether crampons can be repaired they'll probably make the extra effort to deal with the wetness bug. 

I would also note that when my game loads (and possibly every time I pass through a transition) the weight of my revolver and rifle, even when loaded, reverts to the unloaded weight unless it was equipped.  Equip the firearm and the weight updates until possibly the next transition if the firearm was unequipped in the meantime.  Makes for a bit of a surprise if one closely adjusts the weight carried to be just unencumbered then equip the firearm(s) and become encumbered.  😲