Cooking Improvement

Patriot

So...our idea of a gourmet feast is throwing a slab of meat onto a hot stone?
Practically speaking I like it. However, I would like cooking to expand. Slice or cube up some meat throw it in a pot add some mushrooms and/or milk make a dish out of it. Discover or find recipes. Cooking can be expanded to be much more interesting a feature. As much as I love meat everyone craves some flavor in their diet.

I think the systems for cooking and the general variety of foods in the game is fine as is.  I think it might seem a little silly if a survivor who might reasonably be preoccupied with trying to stay alive, waste too much time pining for Basil and Coriander (cilantro).

Personally I don't think this would add any real gameplay value, and if it's not much of a value add... then perhaps it's not worth the time and resources it would take to overhaul systems that aren't broken.

:coffee::fire:
Frankly I don't think this aspect of the game needs "improving."
If Hinterland wants to overhaul things to better fit what they want for their game, then fine... but I don't see a need for it in this particular example.

Edited by ManicManiac

21 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

I'm in for a more varied cooking system. Doesn't have to be super tedious with lots of ingredients. Some simpler stuff like meat stew, reishi mushroom soup or even dried meat (which could be great travelling food in late game) will do.

Lots of suggestions has been made about crafted meat jerky. Some even suggested that players should not allowed to eat 0% food regardless of cooking skill, and introduce meat jerky as an alternative. I really cannot agree more with that idea. I can also think of some simple but proper "dishes". In wilderness, it does not need all ingredients to make "soup" or "stew". But I was thinking of salt as a very rare, but new resource, which can be used in cooking and somewhere else in the game. Salt idea is also suggested in this forum... 

i would love to see that it would onlt require two new items to develop: salt and beef jerky. for the other ideas i like it. when you travel in the long dark your food takes a lot of space but when you stay in your little homestead for some time it would be nice to pass time  by cooking more complex  meals that could be heavyer but contains more calories.

here my list of ideas to elaborate and you can add whatever you want by quoting it

-a cooking pot could be needed

-adding two or three condiments example here: salt pepper, oregano, mint, thyme etc

- adding harvestable plants in the game that needs to be eaten in recipie for example mushrooms, leaves etc beacause for now any plants that exist are for medicine (we have cat tail for recipies)

-being able to find eggs or potatoes or any type of basic aliment for recipie in friges or freezers.

I like the idea of other benefits. Like a slower burn of calories, faster sprint speed, bonus condition and such. Increased calories and heavier meals makes sense as well, but that alone would be a waste in my opinion. Only time I find myself short on food is when I'm very unlucky or caught in a long lasting blizzard.

I don't often agree with manic but in this case I do. With the game how it is adding complicated recipes would offer no benefits to your survival and infact would be detrimental due to the time and effort they would require. Now if they added in a mental health system or something like that then it could be something I am interested in but yeah, as it is I would never eat anything complicated.

I still think that making jerky could be good though. It wouldn't increase the number of calories or anything, but it would reduce weight and reduce the smell that wolves can pick up on potentially making the extra effort worth it for travel. I like having things we can decide to do to prepare for future events.

Also meat shouldn't be decaying in the first place. How does it go mouldy in -20 degree weather?

• Upvote 2

I've long been a proponent of a recipe system, to create meals that provide benefits above and beyond simple calories.  Hypothetically, say Menu A grants a 50% reduction in rifle/bow sway, Menu B lets you sprint 25% faster, Menu C halves condition loss from falling through the ice, etc.  Temporary buffs of course, but something that would provide an incentive to do more than slap a steak on a stone.  Maybe you'd want to prepare Menu B and C before embarking on a beachcombing endeavor.  And to make them a little more deliberate, the buffs only apply when the food is eaten hot.  Sure go ahead and prepare them in advance, but you've gotta light a fire if you want the special effect.  And similar to coffee, the duration of the buff corresponds directly to how much of that item you've consumed.  Esc-cancel halfway, you get half the duration.

:coffee::fire:

On 9/15/2019 at 1:31 AM, ManicManiac said:

My overall thoughts on the subject:

I'm not in favor of anything in this game that would suggest that alcohol has any positive affects for a person in a survival situation that would out weigh the detrimental effects...  I think that would be an irresponsible message.

Alcohol may make one "feel" warm but it actually makes a person more susceptible to hypothermia (and dehydration).  The idea that alcohol makes you warm is a very old and very incorrect idea.  It's a depressant and diuretic (among other things), not things one would want in a situation like the one we see in this game.

We already have antiseptics in the game already so I will address that counter point right now.  There are also already much better ways to get calories than getting them from booze - so I wanted to address that counter point right away as well.

Alcohol is not only unnecessary for survival, it's largely more detrimental to survival.

I will argue that the the detrimental effects are a boon to the game. Get yourself some ol' moonshine in ya and you're ready to brave the cold. You'd be unaware of having Hypothermia if ya had it so if you were reckless then if you made it home alive you might find yourself with a few dead digits IE Frostbite. 

48 minutes ago, Patriot said:

I will argue that the the detrimental effects are a boon to the game. Get yourself some ol' moonshine in ya and you're ready to brave the cold. You'd be unaware of having Hypothermia if ya had it so if you were reckless then if you made it home alive you might find yourself with a few dead digits IE Frostbite. 

The problem is just like Maniac said, this would send a irresponsible message. It may even affect the games rating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patriot said:

It sounds like a terrible idea with nothing but drawbacks? Why would you drink it?

• Like 2

I think the benefits, such as they are, for consuming alcohol get seen or considered in a favorable light, while the detrimental effects, which are potentially numerous, get relegated to more minor nuisances than potentially significant dangers.  I would assume, if someone was very, very careful, in game, alcohol consumption might not have really bad impacts, but one cannot ignore that there can be really bad impacts.  How bad depends on how the devs look at the issue if they were to decide to implement such a thing.  In the current game structure, the negative potential seem to outweigh the positive potential by a good margin.

• Like 1

I would be glad to get some options to cook different meals. Not for any benefit. Just for the variability. You know, you can just roast the venison, but when it happened and you are in someone kitchen with some spice and maybe starch or potatoes, you could cook  a stew.

The jerky: I love jerky and I would be glad to be able to make my own in the game. it is incredible for travelling.

About alcohol. I agree it would be not good message. The only use I can think of is to postpone cabin fever for one night. Get a cup and sleep inside. But get hangover the next day (reduced carry, reduced stamina, reduced shooting skills) and of course again cabin fever. This could be solution for the nonsense you get the fever, there is bilzzard outside and you still cannot sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 3:47 AM, Patriot said:

sounds interesting in that point of the view haha yes in real life alcohol can let you feel warmer it could be great if it is 10 degrees outside but when ya hitting some -40 degrees  it is suicide to drink alcohol beacause in the game you dont event feel the cold so there is no advantage to hide the hypotermia effect on you if it is not having some blurry effect to have fun for 15 mins but i dont think this is the game for that. the only thing great that it could do is significantly help you sleeping but on the other side it makes you colder if you go outside... hmm 

i still aprove for the food idea though haha

Edited by oplli