How does storm lantern/lamp oil condition effect burn time etc?

XLWatercube

@XLWatercube I liked this question so I did some research on the topic. It seems you are the first person to ask this, so I couldn't find any solid data. I dug up some circumstantial evidence though that might help shed some light.

On a number of occasions groups of people have pondered adjacent questions, like "is a torch or a lamp more effective in burn time?" (so into which should you invest your lamp oil?). Apart from coming up with the obvious answers of weight vs resource availability, storms and high winds as a factor and things like wild life deterrent potential, all contributors to these threads and experiments reported the same burn time respectively for the lamp across the particular game version they were playing. Since we can assume that the oil that went into fuelling those lamps and the lamps themselves were of varying conditional degree, it does not seem to factor into burn time.

Hope that helped ^^

• Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng

Interesting indeed. I actually did a quick check and no ... it does not affect burn time as far as I can assertain. One hours consumes exactly 0.25l of lamp fuel weather it is at 100% or 53%.

The storm lantern's condition doesn't affect its operation in any way.  As for whether to use a torch or storm lantern...well I guess that depends on what you have more of.  A crafted torch costs 1 cloth, however it only costs .10L of lamp oil.  In turn it burns for about an hour and a half.  Compared to the storm lantern that burns exactly 4 hours on 1L of lamp oil.  This means if you need to stretch your lamp oil to its maximum potential, torches are the way to go.  1L of lamp oil will provide 15 hours of light via torches, and only 4 via storm lantern.

That said, lamp oil is far more renewable than cloth, torches require a separate source of ignition, and can be blown out in high winds.  So I will always prefer the lantern.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 4:16 PM, jeffpeng said:

Interesting indeed. I actually did a quick check and no ... it does not affect burn time as far as I can assertain. One hours consumes exactly 0.25l of lamp fuel weather it is at 100% or 53%.

Damn, I've been repairing low-condition storm lanterns all this time for nothing. I always assumed condition and performance were related. ¬¬

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Morrick said:

Damn, I've been repairing low-condition storm lanterns all this time for nothing. I always assumed condition and performance were related. ¬¬

I've never had it happen yet, but I've always assumed that the lantern is less likely to get destroyed in an attack if it is at a higher condition to start with.  Also, I've found the condition does not deteriorate unless you allow it to run out of fuel while lit.  If you manually extinguish it, it will stay at the same condition regardless of the number of times you light it.

I usually just "trade up" if I find a lantern in better condition than the one I'm carrying.

20 hours ago, Morrick said:

I am reasonably sure the lantern degrades over time like most other items but I might be wrong.

Edit: I see someone has already beat me to the punch on the fact.

Edited by XLWatercube
Realization

On 1/6/2020 at 5:04 AM, Sceh said:

@XLWatercube I liked this question so I did some research on the topic. It seems you are the first person to ask this, so I couldn't find any solid data. I dug up some circumstantial evidence though that might help shed some light.

On a number of occasions groups of people have pondered adjacent questions, like "is a torch or a lamp more effective in burn time?" (so into which should you invest your lamp oil?). Apart from coming up with the obvious answers of weight vs resource availability, storms and high winds as a factor and things like wild life deterrent potential, all contributors to these threads and experiments reported the same burn time respectively for the lamp across the particular game version they were playing. Since we can assume that the oil that went into fuelling those lamps and the lamps themselves were of varying conditional degree, it does not seem to factor into burn time.

Hope that helped ^^

It did thank you.

14 hours ago, XLWatercube said:

I am reasonably sure the lantern degrades over time like most other items but I might be wrong.

Edit: I see someone has already beat me to the punch on the fact.

If it does decay, then it decays much more quickly IF you run the lantern right out of fuel.  A ways into one of my 500-day runs, I repaired a lantern to 100% and it stayed at 100% for a very long, long time.  Then, on one occasion, I allowed it to run out of fuel and it dropped immediately to 99% right after that usage... and then stayed at 99% until I ended the run at 500 days.  I'll test it more thoroughly on my current run (which is early into the run) and let you know what I determine.

10 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

If it does decay, then it decays much more quickly IF you run the lantern right out of fuel.  A ways into one of my 500-day runs, I repaired a lantern to 100% and it stayed at 100% for a very long, long time.  Then, on one occasion, I allowed it to run out of fuel and it dropped immediately to 99% right after that usage... and then stayed at 99% until I ended the run at 500 days.  I'll test it more thoroughly on my current run (which is early into the run) and let you know what I determine.

Awesome I appreciate it.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:15 PM, XLWatercube said:

Awesome I appreciate it.

Just an update on my lantern decay test... Standard Pilgrim difficulty (not custom), 20 days since repaired to 100%, lantern carried in inventory the entire time, several uses (usually to find way to the bed after dark) but never allowing the lantern to run out of fuel, condition is still at 100%.  Test continuing.

Note: Pilgrim difficulty eliminates the chances of a wolf attack damaging the lantern while it is being carried.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Further update on my lantern decay test... Interloper Custom - Item Decay Rate left as set in Interloper at Very High, Baseline Resources and other loot settings set to Pilgrim levels (to make finding a lantern quicker), Passive animals to ensure I survive longer than a week.  Found lantern and repaired to 100% on Day 2, now on Day 8 and lantern is still a 100% (same as on the other file, I am carrying the lantern in my inventory at all times and using it when necessary, but making sure I never run it out of fuel.

11 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Further update on my lantern decay test... Interloper Custom - Item Decay Rate left as set in Interloper at Very High, Baseline Resources and other loot settings set to Pilgrim levels (to make finding a lantern quicker), Passive animals to ensure I survive longer than a week.  Found lantern and repaired to 100% on Day 2, now on Day 8 and lantern is still a 100% (same as on the other file, I am carrying the lantern in my inventory at all times and using it when necessary, but making sure I never run it out of fuel.

Addendum:  Now on Day 22 of this test with the Item Decay Rate set at Very High.  Lantern is still at 100%.  I'm concluding the test now.  As far as I can see, the lantern does not decay.

• Upvote 2

On 1/15/2020 at 12:37 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

Addendum:  Now on Day 22 of this test with the Item Decay Rate set at Very High.  Lantern is still at 100%.  I'm concluding the test now.  As far as I can see, the lantern does not decay.

I see thank you for keeping me posted on your testing

On 1/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, yollarbenibekler said:

Note that if you're planning for a long run (5000+ days), using storm lantern is better because crafting a torch requires cloth and cloth is not a renewable resource. You can extract lamp oil from cooked fish but you can't extract cloth from anything renewable.

Technically, unless the loot tables have changed in this version, there is renewable cloth from beachcombing along the Coastal Highway and connected waterfronts. The only resource not confirmed to be renewable are antibiotics.

Guest jeffpeng
On 1/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, yollarbenibekler said:

Note that if you're planning for a long run (5000+ days), using storm lantern is better because crafting a torch requires cloth and cloth is not a renewable resource. You can extract lamp oil from cooked fish but you can't extract cloth from anything renewable.

You don't usually "craft" torches. You dump wood into a fire and pull it out as torches. As long as this is in the game (and I hope that they eventually change this) there are very few reasons to spend the time and resources to actually craft torches manually.

Guest jeffpeng
6 hours ago, ogreranger said:

Who the F**k plays this game for 5000 plus days?

Well I certainly don't xD Personally even 1000 days is a bit bonkers to achieve, let alone 3652 days. (10 YEARS) So ... no, you shouldn't plan for 5000 days. Some records are just not worth pursuing .... like ..... the world record in not brushing your teeth. It's just not fun, it makes no sense, it will cost you all the friends you ever had, and it's sure as hell not healthy :D 

I always wondered what is the percentage meaning on the lamp oil. Is the percentage of oil quality or the container quality? And does it mean the lower quality oil not burn, burn not so bright? Or you cannot put it into lamp when it is 0%? If it is container quality, does it mean, you loose it when it is 0% because the container leaked all of it?

For the pursuing long play time. I don't know, pursuing some number is not my cup of herbal tea. I am playing TLD against myself. Plus I set my personal goals. For now I want to get all skills to level 5. But maybe I will abandon it because of mending skill. Plus I want to visit properly all locations in map in one run. I visited them in my current 236 day voyager, but honestly I spent just few days in TWM, because I did not found it entertaining to be hunted by everything what moves.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 11:47 PM, XLWatercube said:

I was wondering what storm lantern condition or lamp oil condition does (if anything) to effect burn time etc.

Uffa. Rarely do I visit the forums and come upon a question which I have not yet seen before. This is such a question, +1 for that. I have never noticed any difference in the usage of lamp oil, and some TLD scientists seem to have more or less verified that already in this thread. However, that is actually a nice idea, as a larger fuel consumption would be an incentive for us to repair the lamp. Which is something I have never seen any need for, and therefore never done.

A long time ago, I have suggested - I think it was in the Wish List section - that we should be able to slip and fall in the mines, and that such falling should have a chance of shattering an already damaged lamp to pieces. Imagine that, losing your source of light in the belly of the Earth and not having another one. Good game.

• 1 year later...

Honestly, this topic made me curious. I mean, I have never asked myself this question. But, as I understood, there is no way it affects the burn time if we talk about a storm lantern. Just like jeffpeng said above, one hour consumes exactly 0.25l of lamp fuel, whether it is at 100% or 53%. But, if we are talking about a torch or storm lantern, it is a bit different, I guess. Well, I hope I will never need one of them, even if I will need one, I have the best flag pole light, and it lights up almost the entire area around the houses! I won't even need a storm lantern or a torch.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:17 PM, ajb1978 said:

torches require a separate source of ignition, and can be blown out in high winds

Agreed, having to use a match every time to light it feels dangerous, even though I have plenty of them. And I like the look of having a lantern in my hand vs a torch.

Did anyone also forget about fire hazard while walking around in the house with an open flame?!