Episode 3 Wolves

Gabbysdad

6 hours ago, Kaj said:

Same here, I just want the story and do not want to deal with this silly timberwolf mechanic. 

How do we turn off the timberwolves or make them run away like wolves in episode 1 & 2

Timberwolves run away when you deplete their morale meter. Shots hit decrease their morale more significantly than shots missed, though the latter has some effect too.

The wolves in Episode 3 aren't the same wolves as 1 and 2.  The black wolves in 1 and 2 are solitary, more skittish, and on Green survivor will flee more often than not.  (Come to think of it I don't know that I've ever been attacked on Green..only Capable or Hardened.)    The wolves in Episode 3 are Timberwolves, and when traveling as a pack their morale is much higher than solitary wolves.  They attack even on Green Survivor, and as was stated above you have to break their spirit before they will leave you alone.  A lone Timberwolf in my experience will always run away from you, mainly because you just killed all his friends and he's learned his lesson.

6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The wolves in Episode 3 aren't the same wolves as 1 and 2.  The black wolves in 1 and 2 are solitary, more skittish, and on Green survivor will flee more often than not.  (Come to think of it I don't know that I've ever been attacked on Green..only Capable or Hardened.)    The wolves in Episode 3 are Timberwolves, and when traveling as a pack their morale is much higher than solitary wolves.  They attack even on Green Survivor, and as was stated above you have to break their spirit before they will leave you alone.  A lone Timberwolf in my experience will always run away from you, mainly because you just killed all his friends and he's learned his lesson.

The first wolf, the one eating a deer, is the only one who ever gave me trouble on a Green playthrough of Episode 1. Though, you are right, the wolves in Episode 2 never attacked me, but Old Bear has no issues with trying to eat your face off. And I wasn't willing to risk chasing wolves from kills they were guarding, since the description of Green Survivor clearly says "Wildlife may attack, but are less aggressive.". In Episode 3, the first black pelted wolves, going to Molly's barn at the start, did give me some issues on my Green Survivor run, about the same as they did on my Capable Survivor run, though the rest after those 2 ran away. The Timber wolves in Episode 3 are less aggressive in Green, seem to be easier to break Morale on, and the packs are small, very small, compared to Capable or Hardened.

Would love to turn this feature off. Its breaking immersion, its annoying, and its pissing me off that you are literally looking at a meter, and working just to deplete it. You know you dont get a lucky shot in, you need to watch the meter and countdown. And if you run out of bullets, you are dead. Nothing else works, period. Contrary to everything said in the game itself.

Scripted wolf attacks while working on the survivors, sure. But delete the meter.

Edited by aspiranten
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My game must be bugged, I wasn’t listening to the story when the father gave me the rosary I went outside and seen a Timberwolf take off running, I figured the rosary was to keep them away somehow. But after further research they are supposed to attack in packs ? Everytime I get anywhere near one it takes off running scared I havnt had a single encounter the entire episode...now I have to start over to get the wolf pack achievement

• 1 year later...

[sorry for mistakes I'm not a native speaker] I agree. I'm playing games only for a good story. I don't like to spend time to learn how to kill/scare some virtual game creatures. This is more frustrating than satisfying for me. Also in episode 2 I was frustrated by the Old Bear challenge. Without walkthroughs I wouldn't make it. When I finally did it, it wasn't fun but relief that the story will finally progress. And I believe I'm not the only one - on YouTube video solution how to kill the Old Bear there are lots of comments that people got stuck on this challenge and got killed by a bear about 40(!) times. When I finally killed the Bear I got a badge on Steam that says only 10%(!) players got it. So I think it speaks for itself...I understand that some players want more adventures and risk and like to learn virtual tricks but there should be a choice for people who just want a good story.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Dum_Gen said:

This is quite an insight. Just checked Steam achievements stats, they look very interesting.

Apparently, only around 20% lived through 10 days mark in a survival game but less than 5% on players finished ep.3.

At the same time, not surprising numbers with the WM release schedule...

Yes, I was also suprised! Idk - maybe more players play survival mode or challenge mode 🤔 But still for me it's strange that so few people play the story mode till the end. I think it can be because of difficulty. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/6/2020 at 3:27 AM, aspiranten said:

Would love to turn this feature off. Its breaking immersion, its annoying, and its pissing me off that you are literally looking at a meter, and working just to deplete it. You know you dont get a lucky shot in, you need to watch the meter and countdown. And if you run out of bullets, you are dead. Nothing else works, period. Contrary to everything said in the game itself.

Scripted wolf attacks while working on the survivors, sure. But delete the meter.

You can hold timberwolfs at bay with flares. Both types work but with marine flares, You should keep Your distance, as closing up too much leads to a brief attack.
Normal flares are chasing the wolfs away most of the times, so You can chase them - very satisfying 😉 
Throwing flares depletes moral too (if You hit or come close) and You can grab the flare again for protection and another try.

Just checked on the way to the crash site at PV in Wintermute - Capable Survivor.

On 2/11/2020 at 5:29 AM, RLGA said:

My game must be bugged, I wasn’t listening to the story when the father gave me the rosary I went outside and seen a Timberwolf take off running, I figured the rosary was to keep them away somehow. But after further research they are supposed to attack in packs ? Everytime I get anywhere near one it takes off running scared I havnt had a single encounter the entire episode...now I have to start over to get the wolf pack achievement

@RLGA Maybe You can load an older saved game and play that a bit until You get the achievement. Then continue with Your latest "real" save.

Edited by mfuegemann
typo
  • Upvote 1

On 2/11/2020 at 5:29 AM, RLGA said:

I wish I had that bug :D Cause I don't like that animals attack me unlike in previous episode in green mode. 

On 3/13/2021 at 11:17 AM, mfuegemann said:

You can hold timberwolfs at bay with flares. Both types work but with marine flares, You should keep Your distance, as closing up too much leads to a brief attack.
Normal flares are chasing the wolfs away most of the times, so You can chase them - very satisfying 😉 
Throwing flares depletes moral too (if You hit or come close) and You can grab the flare again for protection and another try.

Just checked on the way to the crash site at PV in Wintermute - Capable Survivor.

Also I just learned on YT that the snow shelter protects u from the attacks of animals and u can shot them from there so I will definitely make one. But first I have to  kill/scare the Timberwolfs that attacks me right now and collect the sticks and cloths to make a shelter.

I also managed to protect from them several times at the beginning of episode 3 just by hiding in the houses and passing some time there like at least 1 hour - when I went out later, they were gone. But later during the game it didn't work or maybe it was a bug or sth at the beginning. Probably that's why I managed to live some time in the game cause these Timberwolfs are frustrating.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, Siago said:

Yes, I was also suprised! Idk - maybe more players play survival mode or challenge mode 🤔 But still for me it's strange that so few people play the story mode till the end. I think it can be because of difficulty. 

I haven't finished Episode 3 yet. I, too, got annoyed with the Timberwolves and just abandoned it.

I've always played Survival Mode with Timberwolves switched off ever since!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2021 at 6:20 PM, Pillock said:

I haven't finished Episode 3 yet. I, too, got annoyed with the Timberwolves and just abandoned it.

I've always played Survival Mode with Timberwolves switched off ever since!

How can you switch off Timberwolves? 🤔I just heard u can just avoid them in survival mode by not going to the "Timberwolf area"

3 hours ago, Siago said:

How can you switch off Timberwolves? 🤔I just heard u can just avoid them in survival mode by not going to the "Timberwolf area"

You can't. The TW will attack You while You bring the people home. You have to make Your stand. But You can take Your time preparing before rescuing the next person. And You can drop the person to fight the wolfs. 

• 2 weeks later...

The timber wolves are definitely annoying and almost made me give up on the story mode, ammo is sparse and you could be using 5-10 bullets for each encounter for a long journey I'd find Id be attacked maybe 3/4 times. The only thing I found worked without using bullets was popping a flare but not throwing it. Just keep hold of it and they seemed to not attack 

7 hours ago, BexBa said:

ammo is sparse and you could be using 5-10 bullets for each encounter for a long journey I'd find Id be attacked maybe 3/4 times.

This famous quote comes to mind.

“Zero-six, you've been shot down, life is tough. You're a combat aviator, start acting like one. Remember your training, put some angles between you and your pursuers. Evade and survive, and we will bring you home.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things.... They will find you in episode 3.  There are at least 4 spots that it is programmed for you to run into them.  
so tactics come next.  When you find the victims, TAKE YOUR TIME.  You know you will be attacked shortly after grabbing the victim.  So for the first victim, be prepared to get to the draft Dodgers cannon and wait.  For the remaining victims, bait the Timberwolves but stay within easy return to the survivor’s fire.  The fire will hold them at bay if you stay behind the fire in relation to the wolves.  From there, shoot them until you break morale.  This will require running away from the fire and then back towards it to bait them back.  

second, use high ground.  Avoid wide open spaces BECAUSE THEY WILL ATTACK.  on high ground, you can slip down the side of a Boulder where they can’t reach you, and you can dump the survivor (not where the wolves can get them of course). 

in short: take your time, make good use of eternal fire, don’t waste ammo, keep near high ground or shelters.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 12:58 PM, Siago said:

I'm playing games only for a good story. I don't like to spend time to learn how to kill/scare some virtual game creatures. 

said:

Same here, I just want the story and do not want to deal with this silly timberwolf mechanic. 

How do we turn off the timberwolves or make them run away like wolves in episode 1 & 2

Good grief. I'm looking over the TLD Steam page trying to figure out what gives people the impression that they won't have challenging survival mechanics to deal with including dangerous wildlife. 🤦‍♀️

It says it right on the 'box' folks.

You might want to look into point-and-click, interactive-fiction or choice-based narrative game genres. Survival might not be your jam if the wolves & bear wreck the game for you or if you think they don't belong in the game. 😆🤷‍♀️

The bear gave me a headache for sure but damn it felt good to beat him!

Edited by Sherri