The long dark canon?

RegentRelic

I have found many details in survival mode that imply that survival takes place long after wintermute, but I have found more that doesn't add up. There plenty of characters in survival that aren't named and could be Will or Astride. Has anyone found hard evidence that survival is part of the long dark canon or just wintermute.

Canon ? I don’t think we need more weapons 😜

To me it always felt that Survival takes place many months after Story mode. The abundance of corpses doesn’t make sense if the “event” just had happened. Meeting other people / survivors in Story mode makes sense because it takes place recently after the “event” had happened.

-t

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

These are Long Dark Stories....

On 2/20/2019 at 8:56 PM, FunkyFuggerson said:

Raphael when describing the Old Island Connector stated it was a burned down forest. Presumably some sort of electrical fire happened and lit the entire forest and all the houses up. It makes sense, seeing as all the trees are either felled or have a lack of snowy foliage. The fire most likely came from the second earthquake knocking down all the electrical poles, the same can be most likely said for the coastal town. The blocked road also came during the second quake, the guy in the light house said the roads up here hadn't collapsed like the ones further south or what not. Not sure why they would charge a toll, would that even be legal? But then again we haven't seen any sort of police or military presence so far, Great Bear is a hypothermic, lawless land! Kinda makes you wish to see some sort of Mad Max fights in CH, perhaps with sleighs and sled dogs? Blowing each other up with rifles, bows, and wolf cannons, id say "Someone should mod that," but then the Admin would get mad at lil' ol' me :(

On 11/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, turtle777 said:

Canon ? I don’t think we need more weapons 😜

😂😂😂😂, Wow, I just had a mental image of firing an artillery shell right into the middle of a pack of 4 wolves,Battlefield style.Wolf ragdolls.

Lol, don't know if it's just me but, even after hundreds of hours playtime,  the wolf fear and hatred still gets me.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, turtle777 said:

To me it always felt that Survival takes place many months after Story mode. The abundance of corpses doesn’t make sense if the “event” just had happened. Meeting other people / survivors in Story mode makes sense because it takes place recently after the “event” had happened.

This is always the way I've seen it too.

Though you could argue that crashing a plane in survival mode wouldn't make much sense, because you shouldn't be able to fly a plane months after the event. Unless it's only a localized incident. 

Guest jeffpeng

I always had this feeling creeping up my spine that survival mode really is just the game without a narrative and we kinda run around for no reason whatsoever. Almost as if there was no higher purpose to it. Crazy, I know.

Guest jeffpeng
25 minutes ago, stay puft said:

nameless story-less faceless

feetless, aimless, hopeless, purposeless and looking at the way our attire develops eventually: tasteless. *sigh*

On 11/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, Lonelyloper said:

Though you could argue that crashing a plane in survival mode wouldn't make much sense, because you shouldn't be able to fly a plane months after the event. Unless it's only a localized incident. 

In Survival Mode, we write our w own story. We aren't Will or Astrid, unless we choose to name out characters that. I play it like my survivor has been wandering, not completely lucid, not remembering what happened, until she is healed up enough to act with reason and logic, instead of instinctively, like an animal, like she has been since the plane she was on crashed. And I also always role-play her as having been a survivor of the crash on TWM, not the small plane in Milton (or the new one in PV).My Survival character(s) have been scraping by, until the day they can see things more clearly, and can begin using more planning and strategy to keep going.

6 hours ago, stay puft said:

Agreed

I don't think there's any connection to story mode at all in Survival mode your a nameless story-less faceless survivor...   

This. And we write the story, instead of it being written for us.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, stay puft said:

Agreed

I don't think there's any connection to story mode at all in Survival mode your a nameless story-less faceless survivor...   

Yup, remember that Survivor mode used to be called Sandbox, and the original intent was that Sandbox was just a temporary testing environment, and Story mode would be "The Game".  Sandbox was originally going to be retired at launch.  But the devs recognized that Sandbox had taken on a life of its own, and believed (correctly) that the majority of their player base preferred Sandbox.  So Sandbox became Survivor, and is an entirely alternate mode to Story.  A separate universe, if you will.

• Like 3