On the verge of giving up with Ep.3

peteloud

As I said in an earlier posting, I am playing Ep. 3 at the hardest level and finding hard and very irritating.  

I have played around 3,000 games days of Survival with around 90% of that at Voyager to Stalker level so I am far from an inexperienced player. 

There are parts of Ep. 3 that I like very much but encounters with Timberwolves are too hard and not enjoyable.  I have spent almost a full game day looking for a survivor that is marked on the map and can't find the survivor.  I feel that I must have covered every square inch of the relevant area three times over.   I am freezing cold, very near to being out of food and water and out of ammunition.  The game has ceased being enjoyable, interesting relaxation.  I don't doubt that the game would have been easier, less irritating and more enjoyable if I had played at an easier level.

My irritation will cool down if I do something else for an hour or two.  Then I shall return to an 850 day Stalker Survival game to see what changes there are in this latest version of TLD.

Eventually I'll get back to Ep. 3 but I'll play at the middle level next time.

. . . . . . . .

Additional edit

I didn't give up.   I decided to bash on a rescue another survivor.     While searching for the survivor I went into an old barn.  I was in the closed area at the back, or left end, of the barn, the area with a wooden floor above it.  While in there I heard wolves I had my gun ready pointed at the door though which they must come to get me.

No, it wasn't like that, the wolves that were outside of the building were attacking me and and eventually killed me.  They were outside, I was inside, and there was a wooden wall between us.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 2

for the survivors you have to fire a signal flare for them to spawn. they'll respond by firing their own flare gun. otherwise you won't see them. There is a prompt text and Astrid does say something about signaling, but it's not immediately noticeable. Took me a bit to figure that one out and I had to trudge back to the church to grab the flare gun.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, peteloud said:

KinoUnko,

Thanks for that.  Clearly that was what I needed to do.  I didn't see any prompt text nor did I hear Astrid say something about signalling.

I have had a bellyful of it for the moment, back to survival.

You must have missed the prompt text about signal flare, I'm pretty sure I saw it and found survivors by this way.

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

As I said in an earlier posting, I am playing Ep. 3 at the hardest level and finding hard and very irritating.  

I have played around 3,000 games days of Survival with around 90% of that at Voyager to Stalker level so I am far from an inexperienced player. 

There are parts of Ep. 3 that I like very much but encounters with Timberwolves are too hard and not enjoyable.  I have spent almost a full game day looking for a survivor that is marked on the map and can't find the survivor.  I feel that I must have covered every square inch of the relevant area three times over.   I am freezing cold, very near to being out of food and water and out of ammunition.  The game has ceased being enjoyable, interesting relaxation.  I don't doubt that the game would have been easier, less irritating and more enjoyable if I had played at an easier level.

My irritation will cool down if I do something else for an hour or two.  Then I shall return to an 850 day Stalker Survival game to see what changes there are in this latest version of TLD.

Eventually I'll get back to Ep. 3 but I'll play at the middle level next time.

. . . . . . . .

Additional edit

I didn't give up.   I decided to bash on a rescue another survivor.     While searching for the survivor I went into an old barn.  I was in the closed area at the back, or left end, of the barn, the area with a wooden floor above it.  While in there I heard wolves I had my gun ready pointed at the door though which they must come to get me.

No, it wasn't like that, the wolves that were outside of the building were attacking me and and eventually killed me.  They were outside, I was inside, and there was a wooden wall between us.

I've played the episode on hardened survivor and it didn't seem to me to be too hard. And I am far from an experienced player.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

for the survivors you have to fire a signal flare for them to spawn. they'll respond by firing their own flare gun. otherwise you won't see them. 

That’s not what happened for me.

I found two survivors on my own w/o firing the flare gun.

I have yet to attempt to find #3.

-t

@peteloud  Sorry to hear your frustrations... and getting eaten through the barn wall sounds really annoying.  as for the timberwolves, things changed for me when I started using the terrain more to my advantage, but I may just have been lucky!

I also had to use the flare gun to find the 3 survivors, I am 80% sure that they didn't spawn until I fired the gun, coz I checked right past the spot where one of them appeared... so.. interesting what @turtle777 says about finding them without the flare gun (v. cool btw), I'd love to hear what other people's experence was...

43 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

That’s not what happened for me.

I found two survivors on my own w/o firing the flare gun.

I have yet to attempt to find #3.

-t

Yeah, the signal flare will just tell you roughly where they are - they're spawned in once the mission begins. Found 2 of them without the flare gun myself, as well.

Which one are you having issues with? May be able to give some clarifying clues.

Guest jeffpeng

I'm personally rather frustrated with Timberwolves myself. In open terrain they work really well, and while annoying (which is probably their superpower) they pose a genuine and new threat that is refreshingly different. So I personally give a big thumbs up for the concept.

As for the execution... well, as long as they have space to roam they do work really well. If they don't, their internal algorithm might have a seizure and turn them into path finding zombies. I've seen timberwolves running back in forth in about a meter of space, apparently stuck in some invisible box. I've seen them run around me, never finding me. I've been attacked by a pack of 4 approximately 20 times in a row for approximately 1 second before the pack disbanded and then came back and disband again and.... you get where this is going. All in all once you deprive them of enough space to maneuver they act really, really weird. Plus, yeah, they definitely have a problem with boundaries when it comes to calculating what they can bite and what not. They might be way smarter than the normal wolves, but they also have some serious issues.

12 hours ago, Nicholai said:

You must have missed the prompt text about signal flare, I'm pretty sure I saw it and found survivors by this way.

That prompt was very short, and only the first time I entered an area.  I almost missed it, or I'd be in the same boat.

I suppose I might have stumbled across survivors without the pistol, but having them fire back was definitely helpful.

TLD is actually a multiplayer game, only the survivor side is joined as single player, and they have some portal for multiplayers to join to take on the role of wolves and bears.

The timberwolves are clearly script-kiddies with a noclip hack because they can attack you when you are locked inside of an icehut, tucked into a corner of an abandoned shack near its furnace, back to the wall being attacked through the wood walls, when you're in the corner of an outbuilding with haybales they'll get you through the solid wall, and unlike in previous versions where standing on the stairs of a house  or inside of the wooden-fenced surrounding of a small hut or house where wolves will run at you then turn tail and run away, the timberwolves also panic but then come at you from some behind-side to chomp at you through the walls as well.

Unless its a transition into loading a new enviornment when entering a barn or building, any of those sheltered spaces might as well not exist for timberwolf ghosting-through-wall attacks.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:42 PM, KinoUnko said:

for the survivors you have to fire a signal flare for them to spawn. they'll respond by firing their own flare gun. otherwise you won't see them. There is a prompt text and Astrid does say something about signaling, but it's not immediately noticeable. Took me a bit to figure that one out and I had to trudge back to the church to grab the flare gun.

No, you don't need to fire the signal flare to spawn the survivors. They spawn as soon as the mission is activated and you enter the search zone - or maybe already as soon as the mission is active. I was able to find my first survivor in the little birch wood with the two burned/broken down houses without firing any flare round. I guess if you need to fire the flare gun - to spawn the survivors - i would not have been able to find the survivor. Maybe you need the flare gun to trigger some kind of signal to find them easier. Can't say anything about that because i haven't fired any flare round yet.

Edited by diosmio123

I found the first survivor without a signal gun. (Missed a clue) It was foggy and I was just walking along the river to keep my bearings. I don't use the map out of habit. Heard the sound of a fire and found a survivor.

The second survivor has not been able to find.  The hint was not repeated and I did not know about the signal gun. I was attacked by wolves and fighting back I probably sent one charge to the top. Very much was surprised when I heard the sound of a signal gun. So I found the second one.

With a third of the survivors generally no problem in the end was not.

I never fired my flare gun and I found all the survivors. Look for cleft caves and hollows. I have over 30 flares and I don't think I have used the flare gun at all. They are there. The one closest to Molly's house was the hardest to find for me but still took less than an in game day. You can find them all without the flares.

In my opinion the hardest difficulty mode is not that hard, sure the timberwolfs are annoying, but if you can land all of your shots (which isn't that hard to do) you can easily fend of those beast. The hard part is when you go into a struggle.  From my experience that is instant death, you will die. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The hard part is when you go into a struggle.  From my experience that is instant death, you will die. 

Perhaps I'm not playing at hardest difficulty (How can I know ? My game is a save from finishing Episode 1&2 Redux).

I got into struggles with Timberwolves twice, and while it took off a good chunk of health, it wasn't anywhere near to fatal.

-t

56 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

Perhaps I'm not playing at hardest difficulty (How can I know ? My game is a save from finishing Episode 1&2 Redux).

I got into struggles with Timberwolves twice, and while it took off a good chunk of health, it wasn't anywhere near to fatal.

-t

I think you can check that via the save/load menius. Tell me if im wrong.