Must hit places for good loot?

Ankster91

I have been getting into tld survival now that I’m done with Wintermute and from my time browsing the forums and playing the game there seems to be certain super good loot in specific areas. I’m on a custom “pilgrim” mode and I’m interested in finding new loot. So: what are some high tier loot items that I might not find that y’all know about. I’m sorry if this seems vague or slightly confusing. 

Also are any items set loot? Like I’ll you find it there 100% of the time?

thanks

The motherload of loot is found on the summit of Timberwolf Mountain, you simply must go there at least once. Stuff for days and stunning views! Otherwise you can spend a good hour looting the dam in Mystery Lake. A couple of other good spots are in Pleasant Valley, the Farmstead and Signal Hill (which on lower levels spawns top level clothing always). 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Ankster91 said:

I have been getting into tld survival now that I’m done with Wintermute and from my time browsing the forums and playing the game there seems to be certain super good loot in specific areas. I’m on a custom “pilgrim” mode and I’m interested in finding new loot. So: what are some high tier loot items that I might not find that y’all know about. I’m sorry if this seems vague or slightly confusing. 

Also are any items set loot? Like I’ll you find it there 100% of the time?

thanks

There aren't a lot of different items... that is, there isn't a long list of "legendary" type loot, so I agree with Frozen Corpse, that a better way to enjoy this game is to truly explore each area of the map you're in as you go.  Try your hand at hunting each sort of animal (and hunting wolves on Pilgrim is a bit more challenging than you would think since they run away from you rather than attack).  Some of the best clothing is what you can craft yourself from the various animal hides.

As far as I can tell, there is really only one item that is guaranteed to be there 100% of the time... and that is the distress pistol at the bottom of the Ravine... and you'll have to find the mountain rope in Mystery Lake to get there (and that rope spawns in different locations or may not spawn at all... meaning you'll have to steal one).  Although it is an important item in stalker mode, you won't need to fire a distress pistol at all in Pilgrim mode.  Rifle and pistol spawns move around, but you will generally (repeat generally) find a rifle in PIlgrim mode in each different zone of the map, other than the transition zones.  The best overall weapon is the bow since you can craft both the bow and arrows (once you have a heavy hammer and can use one of the three forges in the game).  On Pilgrim, the heavy hammer is often found at or near the forge, but not always.

Throughout the game, you are in constant need of food, water, and wood for a fire.  Matches are precious, so finding a magnifying lens is important (although there are sufficent matches in Pilgrim mode to go for a long, long time if you're not lighting them frivolously).  There are several places where you can find a magnifying lens,  but again, they do move around among those places.

Hi there @Ankster91,

As @Comet777 says the motherload of loot is on top of the summit on timberwolf, and it can be fun working out how to get there. If your gameplay evolves in the direction of trying harder settings (interloper and beyond), then random loot becomes more sparse and you will want to start knowing where the 100% spawns are. But while you are in this golden phase of the game where you are still exploring on the easier levels, I agree with everyone else's advice, enjoy exploring everywhere, knowing where all the cars and buildings are will come in useful if you go for the harder levels...

There are usually 1-3 central buildings on a map. The camp office, Trapper's and the Hydro dam in ML. Hibernia in DP. The scrap yard and the hunting lodge in BR. The Qonset garage in CH. Those have good loot lying around and also lots of containers that can have stuff.

But as said on lower difficulties there is stuff everywhere. Way too much really. Even Stalker has abundant loot overall, though you may have to hunt a bit for specific items.

There is a moose hide satchel in Hushed River Valley. Though making it yourself isn't too hard if you can find a moose

Edited by Serenity

Timberwolf Mountain is the obvious go-to place for an influx of high end items.  However Hushed River Valley is a great place to pick up a free Moosehide Satchel, for a boost to your carry capacity.  The safes in Hibernia, Spence Homestead, Milton Credit Union, and Carter Dam also have a chance of spawning some rare items.  But even if the safe is a bust, Carter Dam is chock full of goodies to find.  And of course the prepper caches in Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley are packed with supplies.  The Coastal Townsite is another good loot-dense area to search.

Hushed River Valley.  I just came  back from my second run.  Between the two, I got three skill books, a new bow, two arrows, three hatchets, two knives, distress pistol (and 4 flare shells, two snow pants, two climbing sox, two wool underwear, the nose satchel, and numerous pelts, bullets, and natural medicines.

Edit: and an expedition parka!

Edited by Rashad82
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, peteloud said:

You are playing a Pilgrim game and you want advice on places which are particularly good sources of lot !

You will need a 40 ton truck and a warehouse in which to store the loot.

Stop playing the baby game, play at Voyager level.  It's meant to be a game about surviving in harsh mountain conditions not about safely walking around collecting loot.

Meh, I totally disagree. If it was "meant" to be one particular type of survival game, there wouldn't be a series of different levels, each with unique challenges. 

The thing I love about Pilgrim mode is that it feels the most real to me. Like the disclaimer says at the start of the game, wolves don't typically attack people. And even with the supply line difficulties mentioned at the gas station and other places, there would be an insane amount of *additional* loot around in every single home, shop, and garage. And there would likely be more small sheds and shops around, as repairs and parts are always needed in remote areas.

Tons of everyday things are also missing, like lighters, binoculars, chainsaws, etc. that could make the game either much easier or much more complicated, depending on what a player would be allowed to do in game. 

At the end of the day, you make the game your own. If you like to play on Pilgrim and don't have to worry about every freaking wolf biting your face off, you create different goals. And there are still blizzards, bears, moose, falls, weak ice, electrocution, etc. etc. etc. to navigate through skillfully. 

• Upvote 4

Timberwolf mountain summit is great along with all the containers throughout the map. Just make sure you have a good hacksaw. (If you break it trying to cut open a container, that container becomes unlockable). And hushed river valley has great loot in the hidden stash boxes littered throughout the map. 

Post deleted and forum member warned.

Please refrain from insulting other players or their preferred play styles. If you don’t enjoy something that’s fine, and it’s fine to say “that’s not for me I like X instead” but don’t ascribe a value judgement to the thing you don’t enjoy.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4

For as "small" as the map is, Desolation Point has some good loot to be found. 

There is always a bow and at least one arrow at Katie's Corner (except in Interloper). Condition of the bow varies, but there is usually also a deer carcass there, with a broken arrow, and a back pack with varied loot. Beachcombing along the edge of the weak ice can wash up a wide variety of items. The mine itself, that you use to transition into the region, can have a variety of items, as well as coal. The other mine on the map will also have varied loot, and coal, always coal. The Riken is there with a Forge, and varied loot. The Lighthouse has varied loot, and a spectacular view. The Old Stone Church can sometimes have awesome loot if you find the rifle or revolver there. Hibernia is generally a loot hunter's dream, though RNG can be a bit trollish sometimes, but often has a good amount of loot, and possibly some high quality stuff. The cars along the road, and Scruffy's Cave also can have some good stuff, and on Pilgrim, Scruffy will never be an issue (no need to fear the big bad cave wolf).

Every region in the game has potential for good loot, it all depends on what you consider "good loot" to be, and what you are willing to go through to get it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Interloper, Signal Hill is typically a great early spot to get to, after hitting the Farmstead of course. It is then a quick run to Winding River Cave to the open cave spot for the potential bedroll, and up the hill to the right for the saplings if you have the hacksaw. Get by the wolf(s) into the Dam and check the lockers preferable a prybar in your inventory. This should get your clothing quite a bit better, then hit the Ravine for the flare gun, Optionally harvesting the deer carcasses along the way, and grabbing reishis.

• Upvote 1

Like most have already said: TWM Summit has loads of loot - more than you'll ever need for a good long while. It ranges from loads of food supplies, to items than can provide a surplus of materials like clothing to be harvested for cloth for example. If you're planning to hit this motherload, be sure to bring a good hacksaw! Started my journey to the summit and I'm planning to see this motherload with my very own eyes.

Other notable sweet spots (my faves at least):

Signal Hill - Chance to loot a rifle with ammunition lying around. Found Ski Boots here which provides good warmth and wind protection, there's also decent amount of food within the premises.

Hydro Carter Dam & Hibernia Processing - Plenty types of loot from clothing, tools and raw materials for crafting. Both have a vault within the premises. Among the things you can acquire from the vault are Mukluk gauntlets/Boots which provide good insulation and requires little resources to repair.

Trapper's Homestead, Mountaineer's Hut, Pleasant Valley Farmstead - Apart from being good bases, you can find a surplus of handy survival tools here (RNG can make spawns vary though). Loot ranges from rifles, ammunition, tools like hatches, huge sources of wood. Also all locations have work tables so it's a good place to get your crafting on.

Depends on what you are looking for. 

The summit on Timberwolf Mountain and Hushed River Valley probably have the most / most valuable loot items. In both cases though, getting to them is not an easy task at all ;) Also both locations rank pretty high in giving you that feeling of accomplishment once you've found the loot - it is definitely well deserved! As a "downside", both locations are pretty far away from everywhere else, so you're probably not taking all of that loot elsewhere ;)

If you're just starting out a game on Voyager or Stalker and trying to give your character a head-start, I would trek to Milton Town or Coastal Highway,  and loot every single house. There's so much food & clothing items / cloth to be found there!

And on Interloper rivers & lakes make the best early-game loot spots IMHO (cat tails!).

Actually I don't really have a favorite loot spot. Which speaks for the fantastic balancing in TLD. Every region has a lot of spots that are definitely worth going to. 

Edited by melcantspell