Has your luck ever been TOO good?

ajb1978

Like..inconveniently good?  So good it does a 180 and becomes kinda bad?

So here's a story.  I am currently on a 100% completion run, meaning all buffer memories, all cairns, all notes, break down everything I can (with some sentimental exceptions), etc.  I just finished Pleasant Valley, and had a stroke of good luck towards the end that resulted in me capturing the final two buffer memories on consecutive nights, leaving me with an entire cooked bear I now had to move out of the region.  Next stop: Timberwolf Mountain!  Took me two trips, but I lugged the whole 31kg of bear meat up to the Mountaineer's Hut.  Lo and behold, I had left behind quite a stash of food, most of which had degraded to the 40% range, but hey I was WELL provisioned to collect the last 2 buffer memories from the zone!

Except I spotted a Moose just as I was making my return to the Hut...and you simply do not pass up an opportunity to hunt a Moose.  So I dropped off my meat, grabbed one of the rifles I left behind, loaded that puppy up...  It took two rounds but I dropped that Moose.  I immediately harvested all the meat, intending to come back and get the hide/gut later.  And I had to Esc-Cancel out of the harvest because night had fallen and an Aurora was in the sky.  Dropping everything but the bare essentials, I hightailed it to the Chasm Cave to grab a buffer memory.  Yahtzee!  It was one of the two I was missing!  I then remembered that while memories are chosen daily, if you don't actually leave/re-enter the region (be it going indoors, or leaving the region entirely) the the change won't actually take effect.  So I went to that explorable cave near the Y cave, turned around and immediately left.  Went back to the Chasm Cave..and holy monkey I got the final buffer memory for the region that same night!

So here I am...a full cooked bear...a full uncooked moose...a whole bunch of old-world food to eat...  My luck was too good.  I have too much...  I am the Saitama of the quiet apocalypse.

Guess I can afford to spend extra time hunting cairns.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

My last long interloper run I had parasites and around day 10 of the affliction I bagged a moose and managed to find just enough mushrooms around the Hydradam to cure them and the extra meat allowed me to survive the affliction through the days I could get barely get around. 

Nope... had it been me, that moose would have stomped me... actually that just happened to me moments ago in Milton.  All set to leave the region after looting everything, hides curing nicely, lots of saplings curing as well, got everything I needed but the Magnifying Lens so I was going to climb out to Mystery Lake to try to grab one from the Trapper's Cabin or Camp Office and then come back to craft.  On my way out, notice rabbit skins had cured, so I decided to head up to the trailer to craft the hat first.

Ah... the lure of them meeses... I told myself not to do it, but I just had to take a shot.  Now I'm stuck here until my ribs heal... dang Milton and it's climbing ropes.  Oh well, other hides should be cured in time so I should get all my clothes crafted before I head to Mystery Lake.  If the moose shows it's head again though, I will take it out first... now it's personal!

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

In this game... not yet. :D

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all"
     - Albert King

Yep... while ribs were healing, I shot a wolf and l lost track of him in a blizzard as he was bleeding out.  Looked a bit the next day and gave up.  The next day I stumbled upon him and decided to harvest him up.  Meat was at 12%.  I cooked it and ate some - food poisoning bam.  Put some venison on to cook, took antibiotics, and decided to roll out the best and sleep for 1 hour.  Accidentally started a second hour of sleep instead of picking up my bedroll.  Burned the venison.  Decided to say frak it, and went to bed for the remaining 9 hours to get rid of the food poisoning... a glimmer of good luck... I actually woke up from that sleep with both food poisoning and ribs healed.  Went outside the cave and shot that dang moose dead! dead! dead!  Maybe now I'll have a run of good luck for a change.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Guest jeffpeng

Starting near BR in FM beelining for Trapper's I found in two days, in this order:

- Mackinaw Jacket at Spence's in the safe
- Ear Wraps at Spence in the crafting bench
- Underwear on a random corpse near high blind
- Random matches at Poacher's
- A Thin Wool Sweater on another random corpse near Max's
- Mackinaw Jacket at Trapper's in the safe
- Maple Leaf Toque at Trapper's in the locker
- A bear charging me upon leaving Trapper's
- No bandage in my inventory
- The Long Dark

My current sandbox, I have downed 3 moose within 86 days, found an Expedition Parka, 3 wool long johns, 4 rifles, 2 revolvers, have 7 pair of climbing socks, 2 pairs of Mukluks, 2 fisherman's sweaters, have an entire drawer filled with work pants, have over 150 rounds of revolver ammo, 76 rounds of rifle ammo, and enough whetstones, sewing kits, flares, and other miscellaneous tools I genuinely think I could sit bored in Milton for about 400 nights with ease. And I haven't stepped foot in 4 of the zones yet.

On the flip side, I've had sandboxes where I hadn't even found a knife, axe, or weapon to hunt with to craft the pair of pants I didn't spawn with and couldn't find.

So yes, I have had sandboxes that were stupidly good luck prone.

• 1 month later...

Bloody hell it happened again!  I'm holed up at my main base in Milton, and I'm like...oh dear, I'm out of cured leather.  I check my notes, I have 33 stashed on Timberwolf Mountain, guess it's time for a field trip.  I arrived, slept, grabbed my leather, turned to leave...ANOTHER MOOSE.  I was not planning on hauling a moose back to Milton but I mean I guess I can work out the logistics of that.  Too much food is a good problem to have.

Edit: Got 'im in one shot :) (I only had 9 rounds to begin with up there.)

20190819190046_1.jpg

Edited by ajb1978
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:53 AM, ajb1978 said:

Bloody hell it happened again!  I'm holed up at my main base in Milton, and I'm like...oh dear, I'm out of cured leather.  I check my notes, I have 33 stashed on Timberwolf Mountain, guess it's time for a field trip.  I arrived, slept, grabbed my leather, turned to leave...ANOTHER MOOSE.  I was not planning on hauling a moose back to Milton but I mean I guess I can work out the logistics of that.  Too much food is a good problem to have.

Edit: Got 'im in one shot :) (I only had 9 rounds to begin with up there.)

20190819190046_1.jpg

You don't need to haul it all back to Milton - leave most of the guts to cure in the Mountaineer's Hut for repairs and bowmaking when you get bored on other maps and come back to TWM. 
Also, leave most of the meat uncooked outside the hut - even if it degrades to 0% before you come back, you can still cook it and boost it up to 50% condition.  If you cook it and leave it, there's no way to reheat / refresh the condition.

5 hours ago, Gazbeard said:

You don't need to haul it all back to Milton - leave most of the guts to cure in the Mountaineer's Hut for repairs and bowmaking when you get bored on other maps and come back to TWM. 
Also, leave most of the meat uncooked outside the hut - even if it degrades to 0% before you come back, you can still cook it and boost it up to 50% condition.  If you cook it and leave it, there's no way to reheat / refresh the condition.

Oh I did leave the guts, and swapped the fresh hide out for a cured one I'd left behind the last time.  And I left 4 steaks behind for when I return, to get re-situated, but I'm still hauling the rest back to Milton.  That's "home" this time around.  The other regions are vacation homes.

• Upvote 1