What is your "Golden Rule"?

oregonoutback

Hmm, a golden rule for TLD... well:

Practice throwing stones at everything.  Rabbits... Wolves... Bears... Deer... doesn't matter.  The more to pitch stones the more naturally your estimation of the throw will be.  We all know by now that a stalking wolf will charge as soon as you aim... well you don't have to aim to pitch a stone.  If you are practiced, you can always send them running any time they start to stalk you with a well placed throw.

Also, pitching stones to annoy bears is funny :D 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 1:10 PM, Dan_ said:

Sticks respawn with the blizzards, even if you don't need them now just pick'em and drop the bundle at convenient spots like caves, outside stoves, fishing huts and fire barrels. 

This can start to cause loading issues if you have too many piled up in one location.  We're talking like thousands of sticks on the floor, but at one point I had a safehouse that would crash the game on entering it about 1/3 of the time.  Took over 700 hours to burn up all the sticks, and resolve the issue.  So now I exercise a little restraint when grabbing sticks on my way here and there. 

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

This can start to cause loading issues if you have too many piled up in one location.  We're talking like thousands of sticks on the floor, but at one point I had a safehouse that would crash the game on entering it about 1/3 of the time.  Took over 700 hours to burn up all the sticks, and resolve the issue.  So now I exercise a little restraint when grabbing sticks on my way here and there. 

What about if you keep them in a container?

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

What about if you keep them in a container?

That would be fine, although the largest containers in the game hold 40kg, which would only be 266 sticks.  Even if you did have that on the floor, it's not gonna stress the game engine to render that.

With me I just kind of lost control. I had upwards of 2500 sticks laying on the floor that the game was trying to keep track of.  Especially if it's rapidly loading and unloading them as I grab 2 fish from the pile outside to toss in front of the fire, pass-time through cooking, and immediately take them outside.  Real-time, maybe 10 seconds between area transitions.  Too stressful for Unity to keep up.

Now I just limit myself to a handful of 80-stick piles, and I resist the urge to hoover up sticks until one of those piles is used.

8 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Just drop some in a container if it becomes too much of an issue. But then again, I only player loper and deadman, my stick piles never get that big anyway and usually I only drop 50 or so in a container in case the game suddenly becomes more difficult ( the opposite has happened... ). 

I don't like the hassle of picking them up one by one so I only drop if a container is unavailable. 

9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

This can start to cause loading issues if you have too many piled up in one location.

I noticed something like that awhile back... I had something like 800 sticks stockpiled in the camp office and it would take forever to load when ever I would try to step outside.  :)  After that I just started keeping stick stockpiles outside and that seemed to clear up the issue for me.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I used to have rules I followed, to a degree. My playstyle has changed from entirely sloppy and spontaneous, to "less sloppy, but still spontaneous" with each new "Big" update. So my rules have changes with them as well. Only one has stayed untouched... 

Be prepared for the unexpected. 

Guest jeffpeng
On 5/22/2019 at 5:57 PM, ajb1978 said:

Took over 700 hours to burn up all the sticks, and resolve the issue.

Admit it. You tried to induce climate change.

Always have enough resources to be able to make a warm fire. Matches, three sticks, and at least one coal (for interloper, you might need about three or four coal). Accelerant can also help start fires faster, even if the fire starter skill has been mastered.

• Upvote 1

I don't give into whims. They kill me.

When I go out, I know what door I'm going to go through next, what specifically I need to accomplish, and how long it will or can be allowed to take. Then I do that thing and only that thing. I also have a specific plan for what I'll do if I encounter hostile wildlife or weather (wether I'll turn back, detour to a second location, or soldier on, and how many resources I can use relative to the importance of the goal). I like to move around and travel, but I don't move on a whim - each leg of each journey is planned before I ever set out and I plan around knowing I don't want to endlessly sit in one region.