Moose

omoon66

I’m dying, Microsoft. I don’t know if I can wait a second longer for your stupid certification on the new update. Dear forum members, patch up a few of my wounds, moose wounds. How do they work? Devs said they’re peaceful and aggressive, so does that mean that unless you shoot them, they don’t attack you? Or are they just like wolves and bears, wanting to eat you when they see you? Also, is the moose cloak better than the bearskin coat? How’s that moose bag? I’m dying to know, please.

seems like moose gives you broken ribs affliction, pretty detrimental from the sounds of it. haven't had a close encounter with a moose myself. I did take one down with couple shots from a rifle, probably got lucky. still waiting for the hide to cure so I can see all the hubbub about the satchel. 

13 minutes ago, KinoUnko said:

seems like moose gives you broken ribs affliction, pretty detrimental from the sounds of it. haven't had a close encounter with a moose myself. I did take one down with couple shots from a rifle, probably got lucky. still waiting for the hide to cure so I can see all the hubbub about the satchel. 

Did it try to trample you on sight? Or did it not see you?

48 minutes ago, omoon66 said:

Did it try to trample you on sight? Or did it not see you?

I treated it like a bear. dropped to a cliff ledge before shooting. Also just finished a satchel. takes up accessory slot, adds 5kg to carry weight, up to 35kg. feels a little weak sauce for late game item, but not terrible I guess.

I have been trampled by a moose. To get the important thing out of the way first... hunt them like bears. I killed my moose on TWM from a fallen tree near the wheels at the entrance to the region.

To make the long story short... saw him, shot at him, missed, he startled and ran off. I went gathering firewood and he came back down and came across me from very short range. I got hammered (and I mean hammered). 

You don't end up losing that much condition... looks like about 25%. However, you get a broken rib. Recovery takes two bandages, painkillers, and 120 hours (!) rest time to recover. While you have the broken rib, no sprinting and no climbing... which meant I was stuck on TWM. You're looking at ten to fifteen days game time before you're going to be back at it. Also, I lost a lot of carrying capacity... was down to 22.something kg when fully rested... so expect to be direly encumbered while recovering. It's also quite hard to end up tired out enough to sleep a lot each night when there is no sprinting... and finally, because you're probably going to be spending a lot of time inside, you're looking at a very strong risk of cabin fever.

I ended up dying about halfway through the recovery. Which sucked. But was my own fault.

8 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I have been trampled by a moose. To get the important thing out of the way first... hunt them like bears. I killed my moose on TWM from a fallen tree near the wheels at the entrance to the region.

To make the long story short... saw him, shot at him, missed, he startled and ran off. I went gathering firewood and he came back down and came across me from very short range. I got hammered (and I mean hammered). 

You don't end up losing that much condition... looks like about 25%. However, you get a broken rib. Recovery takes two bandages, painkillers, and 120 hours (!) rest time to recover. While you have the broken rib, no sprinting and no climbing... which meant I was stuck on TWM. You're looking at ten to fifteen days game time before you're going to be back at it. Also, I lost a lot of carrying capacity... was down to 22.something kg when fully rested... so expect to be direly encumbered while recovering. It's also quite hard to end up tired out enough to sleep a lot each night when there is no sprinting... and finally, because you're probably going to be spending a lot of time inside, you're looking at a very strong risk of cabin fever.

I ended up dying about halfway through the recovery. Which sucked. But was my own fault.

Wow, very good to know indeed! I will be cautious around these beasts. New kid on the block ends up the king of the Great Bear island hood, becoming equal to, or deadlier than Mr. Bear! That better be a good coat and bag that you can make

I don't think it's 120 hours of rest, I believe it's just 120 hours of time passing. And broken ribs stack! I had three from a moose who never got far enough away from me between stompings to drop agro. You also need to be careful when treating multiple broken ribs that you're treating the right one. If you just take 8 painkillers, you'll have taken all 8 for the first rib by default, leaving your second one completely untreated, and wasting 4 pain killers. 

I can only throw in my one experience with killing a moose: 
I shot one with an bow, three times. The first two times, I was far enough away that he just started running around. The third time, he charged me. I ran inside. When I came out an hour later, all three arrows were sitting on the ground outside the door. This implies to me that they were 'rejected', after it refused to die, as the game has some wonky logic to try and avoid arrow loss. When I went after him again, I got him running around after hitting him with another arrow. I hit him at least one more time (it might have been two) before he charged. This time I had no-where to hide, so I switched the the rifle and shot him in the face. Fortunately, that took him down. 

It's not much, but it might be a data point in favour of having to finish the job, on a moose... 

48 minutes ago, cullam said:

I can only throw in my one experience with killing a moose: 
I shot one with an bow, three times. The first two times, I was far enough away that he just started running around. The third time, he charged me. I ran inside. When I came out an hour later, all three arrows were sitting on the ground outside the door. This implies to me that they were 'rejected', after it refused to die, as the game has some wonky logic to try and avoid arrow loss. When I went after him again, I got him running around after hitting him with another arrow. I hit him at least one more time (it might have been two) before he charged. This time I had no-where to hide, so I switched the the rifle and shot him in the face. Fortunately, that took him down. 

It's not much, but it might be a data point in favour of having to finish the job, on a moose... 

Ah so that bug hasn’t been fixed. Crap. Well, once the darn certification is done , I’ll (or maybe someone can) test it by shooting a moose from a cliff or duck into a car (but I doubt there would be any cars nearby) 

On 12/12/2017 at 9:54 PM, stratvox said:

From what I hear (I died before the moose hide cured) the moose cloak is spectacular at keeping your clothing dry when the weather sucks.

I should have made the cloak instead. :D Looking at the stats it seems more useful than the satchel... weight between wolf and bear coat, least penalty to sprint of the three, and 90% waterproof.

So Bullwinkle did his stomping thing on me.  Shot him at Trappers, he charged, and I prudently dashed inside.  I emerged too soon and he was waiting for me.  One broken rib to go please.  I can confirm that it takes 120 hours of rest, be it sleep or playing cards passing the time, to fully heal a busted rib affliction.  Worked out to nearly 12 days of in game time, which seems about right for a thousand pound animal stomping all over your thorax.  Most inconvenient and painful.

1 hour ago, epower said:

So Bullwinkle did his stomping thing on me. 

I’m assuming that’s the official community name :D.

1 hour ago, epower said:

Shot him at Trappers, he charged, and I prudently dashed inside.  

How close to Trapper’s? The only moose in ML I’ve heard of from people was by the cabin near Unamed Pond, is that the one?

Moose seem to range outside their "zone" a little more than some of the other critters.  I've also seen a moose near Trappers, and the bark rubbings are north of unnamed pond.

I'm also not sure if they respawn at all.  I have a moose zone on Forlorn Muskeg; lots of visibility, but after I turned the moose into a satchel I have been going back a couple times a week for a good month or more and haven't seen another one in the area, although the markings persist.

(ETA: This is on a default settings Pilgrim game)

11 hours ago, omoon66 said:

What difficulty/spawn setting did you have? Mine is on very high and haven’t seen one

Low.  All my animal spawns are set to low except for fish set to medium.  Still weighing that one. 

Here's my Custom difficulty setting code if that's helpful:  8pmk-kgpq-Kgq2-mGaF-bgAA

16 hours ago, epower said:

Low.  All my animal spawns are set to low except for fish set to medium.  Still weighing that one. 

Here's my Custom difficulty setting code if that's helpful:  8pmk-kgpq-Kgq2-mGaF-bgAA

Thanks, I’ll try it out some time. I’ve heard that people see lots of moose on low setting, but barely any on very high. Devs will have to fix that fo’ sho’

Archived