Moose

omoon66

I just had my first encounter with a moose.  I had just started a new game and was gathering sticks and I could hear one over a rise nearby, and planned to get a look at it once I had all the sticks, but then I hear it running toward me and I look up in time to get trampled by it.

If this is how they are their attack mechanic is the same as the wolves.  As soon as they're aware of you from any distance they attack to kill.  It didn't even see me before it decided to attack.

1 hour ago, writeright1 said:

I just had my first encounter with a moose.  I had just started a new game and was gathering sticks and I could hear one over a rise nearby, and planned to get a look at it once I had all the sticks, but then I hear it running toward me and I look up in time to get trampled by it.

If this is how they are their attack mechanic is the same as the wolves.  As soon as they're aware of you from any distance they attack to kill.  It didn't even see me before it decided to attack.

Yeah I still have personally seen one, but I’ve seen YouTube videos. If they detect you, they won’t start to go after you, they will will stand there looking at you for a few seconds and if you leave, he won’t follow. But if you don’t leave, he will charge you. A force to be reckoned with, though.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:19 PM, epower said:

Trappers Homestead to be precise and he was right on the "lawn" as it were. 

image.thumb.png.433423e50ce45a7853e544de66573991.png

I also saw one, perhaps the same one, on the creek ice just South of the Hydro Dam. 

That moose tends to flee often and I've had it run off to the left and disappear into the rocks and never to be seen again. I'm pretty sure it's broken. It seems to get stuck somewhere in that rock ridge and can't come back out.

I made the moose hide coat and the satchel. De coat is great for bad weather! But I've  noticed the satchel gets wet very easily. My character is also wearing deerskin boots and pants, but they get much less wet than the satchel in bad weather? I thought the moose hide was known for water resistence?

Does anyone know.... do moose respawn? I haven't seen the moose back at the spots where I hunted them (Unnamed Pond and Trapper's Cabin). The hides have dried and weeks have passed by and haven't seen them back?

Bullwinkle is hostile AF!  

First time I ran into him was on the bridge at DP above Matt's truck.  I had just been mauled by a bear and was limping home at like 40%.   He made some kinda noise, like "better run, chump!"  It wasn't much of a warning.  I could not run, but he sure could.  The stomp left me near death and lurching around.  As soon as I stood he made that noise again.  I tried to dodge out of his way but fell to my death. Ignominious!

Second time I saw him behind the gas station at CH.. I thought "it's payback Moose-bitch!"  I had the rifle and shot him in the side below the ribs, he turned and charged me.  I got off another panic shot right in the face which had no noticeable effect.  Got stomped.  I got up thinking "well this is not smart but I don't care" and shot him again, which killed him.

he had tons of meat, and that valuable hide, but I died to a wolf b4 it ever cured

I start my second playthrough last night and want to experience stalker difficulty, so I decided to start in Mystery Lake… a familiar map. Long story short, spawn near Alan’s cave in late afternoon, encounter a wolf and manage to get away from wolf (thanks to the rabbit "hero"). It was very cold, so decide to go to the dam instead of the camp office as wolf was blocking the way. While running toward the trailer near the dam, a Moose warning sound off behind me. Turn around and saw a Moose behind me in my blind spot, the trailer was very close, but too late. The Moose chase me down and stomp me. After the Moose finish with me and move away, I get up and move quickly towards the trailer and away from the Moose. Heard the Moose warning sound again, the trailer was so close, yet so far away, the same Moose run me down the second time. I get up the second time and walk a few steps to get in one of the trailer.  Encounter another near death (base on the daily log, my lowest condition on the 1st day was 3%) due to hypothermia. Here my status 12 hours later.20180108113451_1.thumb.jpg.f7e6abadd1cae3fdcd0a45d02e71bba6.jpg

20 hours ago, weixing said:

I start my second playthrough last night and want to experience stalker difficulty, so I decided to start in Mystery Lake… a familiar map. Long story short, spawn near Alan’s cave in late afternoon, encounter a wolf and manage to get away from wolf (thanks to the rabbit "hero"). It was very cold, so decide to go to the dam instead of the camp office as wolf was blocking the way. While running toward the trailer near the dam, a Moose warning sound off behind me. Turn around and saw a Moose behind me in my blind spot, the trailer was very close, but too late. The Moose chase me down and stomp me. After the Moose finish with me and move away, I get up and move quickly towards the trailer and away from the Moose. Heard the Moose warning sound again, the trailer was so close, yet so far away, the same Moose run me down the second time. I get up the second time and walk a few steps to get in one of the trailer.  Encounter another near death (base on the daily log, my lowest condition on the 1st day was 3%) due to hypothermia. Here my status 12 hours later.20180108113451_1.thumb.jpg.f7e6abadd1cae3fdcd0a45d02e71bba6.jpg

Crouch next time or hide behind a tree after he tramples you. Maybe you have time to get away next time...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 6:35 PM, KinoUnko said:

seems like moose gives you broken ribs affliction, pretty detrimental from the sounds of it. haven't had a close encounter with a moose myself. I did take one down with couple shots from a rifle, probably got lucky. still waiting for the hide to cure so I can see all the hubbub about the satchel. 

The moose is no joke man. It's like a bear but MUCH more deadly. I literally escaped a tussle with one by probably .5 seconds. Check out the "Near Death Experiences" topic for the full story.

• 4 months later...

I've encountered moose in ML on the frozen river near the hydro dam, near the Trapper's Cabin, and near the lone cabin on the far side of Unnamed Pond.  As epower said, if you are stomped once it takes 120 hours of rest or passing time to heal (plus the first aid).  If you are stomped twice, the second one takes 168 hours of rest or passing time to heal (they heal concurrently).  For me, the most likely way to die, after multiple wolf attacks, is getting caught in a white-out blizzard away from shelter.  I've found the moose-hide satchel's extra 5kg carrying capacity makes it practical to carrying 5 cloths and 15 sticks (2.75 kg total) always.  With that, assuming your clothes are good enough to withstand 45 minutes of blizzard cold, you can make a snow shelter and wait out the storm (or pea soup fog).  However, if I can find and kill a moose in my present game, I want to try the moose-hide cloak.  For a small decrease in warmth, the cloak offers much more protection with half the sprint decrease compared to a bearskin coat (I was wearing a bearskin coat when I died in my last game because I couldn't outrun a pair of wolves).

As I've described in my survival story I've met a moose in the river near the dam, then in the front lawn of the Trapper's cabin (I like to think it was the same one moving around). Another one in the swamp near the Hunter's lodge. I've been threatened quite a few times but truly attacked only twice, and trampled once. Stalker level.

That was the beginning:

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 9:07 AM, epower said:

So Bullwinkle did his stomping thing on me.  Shot him at Trappers, he charged, and I prudently dashed inside.  I emerged too soon and he was waiting for me.  One broken rib to go please.  I can confirm that it takes 120 hours of rest, be it sleep or playing cards passing the time, to fully heal a busted rib affliction.  Worked out to nearly 12 days of in game time, which seems about right for a thousand pound animal stomping all over your thorax.  Most inconvenient and painful.

I can confirm this too! Same thing happened with me. Took me 3 arrows and a bullet to take Bully down. Not before he broke a rib. I've got 67 hours of healing in, my character suffered cabin fever affliction three times, and I'm getting seriously tired of being constantly encumbered and unable to sprint. Take care not to get trampled!

Archived