Wintermute Spoiler Thread...

Thrasador

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't tell if I want to call it or if I want to push on...the wolves are angering me....

I'm not tired...I just am not feeling it...

I did find a new coal cave before the blue trailer on the right side of the road....it's way back in there across from the cattail lake sort of....

4 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

He does a 'no commentary' -

Oh he doesn't speak....hrrmmmm.....well I guess not speaking if you have nothing whitty to say is better than babbling about nothing and sounding like a re-re....but I am not sure I could handle zero talkie....that may bore me....I'll take a gander while I go smoke.

I just booked it from the coal cave to the blue trailer because the cave I found was not warm enough, even though it was deep enough to cure....but a blizzard was incomming....so I needed a proper shelter....

4 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I just booked it from the coal cave to the blue trailer because the cave I found was not warm enough, even though it was deep enough to cure....but a blizzard was incomming....so I needed a proper shelter....

That's the way it goes on the island, lol. I've just found that little house on the hill. Went through the door to save it and that's it. Calling it.

12 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

That's the way it goes on the island, lol. I've just found that little house on the hill. Went through the door to save it and that's it. Calling it.

Cool, nite chief! See you if I ever sleep and wake up again....lol

4 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Ok, cool....so the crappy bedroll is really just a temporary bandaid to be harvested later after finding a better one....

Thanks so much for the speedy reply, I can stop chain smoking now on the deck...

Hullo Thrasador! I always make sure I have two bedrolls at any one time, one I take with me and one back at base. That way if a wolf attack unluckily shreds one I have a back up. There's enough ragged rubbish clothing in Milton and curtains and towels to tear up to make repairing your 34% one a doddle. So I'd hold off. You never know. 

There is another bedroll available to collect also, just before transitioning to Ep2, but yes, always good practice to keep a spare handy. :)

8 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Anyone find a knife anywhere else I could check before I ragequit and start over?

I really really really don't want to start over...

I'm still working with the shard of debris knife, never found another, and I've reached Ep2 just fine. I don't think you actually need one. Just make sure the knife's condition stays good. I've also survived a couple of weeks without a knife in survival mode, using an axe for all my cutting needs. Just keep it sharpened.

Haha, what a nice, ironic achievement name for finding all bank keys - "Too big to fail". :D

Could anyone please tell me how many non-storyline hidden caches exist in milton? I'm trying to do the "Cache mastery" achievement during my first Wintermute run and found some caches in Milton, but I don't know if I can move on or if I've missed further hidden caches because the achievement only pops up once you've also found the episode two caches.^^ 

I found two hidden caches so far - apart from the two storyline-related caches greymother tells you about for the flare gun and medicine, I mean. Are there more "random" hidden caches to be found in Ep.1?

(Please don't tell me where, if you know further cache locations - just if they exist.^^)

Cache locations I've found so far:

I've found one cache in a cave behind the radio tower (under some rocks in the back of the cave). Hint for it was inside the hilltop house near Milton.

The second cache was located behind the church next to a fallen tree. Hint for it was inside a car in Milton.

It may not be really on topic here, but I must share this funny moment: In my game, when the story about the Grey Mother´s daughter unfolded and she finally told Will what really happened to Lilly there´s this sad moment with loud violins playing at the end. Really moving. But then the cutscene ended and my character yawned sooo lowd, because he was tired. I nearly fell off the chair laughing ^^ Will was like: oh man this is so boring, get over it. :D:D

6 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Oh he doesn't speak....hrrmmmm.....well I guess not speaking if you have nothing whitty to say is better than babbling about nothing and sounding like a re-re....but I am not sure I could handle zero talkie....that may bore me....I'll take a gander while I go smoke.

There are a number of reasons I do not record commentaries.

1: When I used to record my voice on my old channel my game play suffered. So on my new channel I put game play in front of commentary.

2: In my living situation it would be hard to record commentary anyway.

3: In the only Commentary LP I ever did my game play sucked so much...I dubbed more than 3/4ths of my commentary after the fact.

4: Especially in The Long Dark it is a solo survival experience. If I were in the future to record Commentary...it would not be commentary so much as Role-playing the characters survival.

So in order to keep the experience pure especially in TLD...I've opted to do no more commentary perhaps ever.

Just a FYI.

26 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

There are a number of reasons I do not record commentaries.

1: When I used to record my voice on my old channel my game play suffered. So on my new channel I put game play in front of commentary.

2: In my living situation it would be hard to record commentary anyway.

3: In the only Commentary LP I ever did my game play sucked so much...I dubbed more than 3/4ths of my commentary after the fact.

4: Especially in The Long Dark it is a solo survival experience. If I were in the future to record Commentary...it would not be commentary so much as Role-playing the characters survival.

So in order to keep the experience pure especially in TLD...I've opted to do no more commentary perhaps ever.

Just a FYI.

I wasn't trying to "dis" you, everyone has their own style. I get what you are doing and why you are doing it, as far as your creative choices. Some people may prefer it your way, and some people may prefer it silly like GrayStillPlays videos. My personal preference leans twords Grey's way, but I watched some of the run that was linked and you wre doing well...

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

I wasn't trying to "dis" you, everyone has their own style. I get what you are doing and why you are doing it, as far as your creative choices. Some people may prefer it your way, and some people may prefer it silly like GrayStillPlays videos. My personal preference leans twords Grey's way, but I watched some of the run that was linked and you wre doing well...

Oh I know you weren't trying to dis me. Most people just ask why...so I wanted to get that on the table.

I watch Gray myself along with some others and while they do a mighty fine job...I personally would probably not record sound in TLD for commentary even if I could. Simply because TLD is specifically about Isolation...not about connecting with others if you will. You are it...you are the last person...who are you talking to?

Perhaps I'm too much into Role Playing.

That said if my location changes I could RP characters from around the world since I can do many accents.

Other games though...I probably would.

Hey @Scyzara, sorry I keep having to restart since the patches didn't update my already started playthrough from Day 1, I am not yet far enough along to be of much assistance yet. I would have hoped being a member of Hinterland's staff they would have given you a cheat guide so you could help others, lol.

I know if you take the time to browse this whole thread a few other caches may have been brought up. I have heard about something under a rug in a house, an urn on a fire place, and a blue container or something under a bed.

I don't even know how to trigger the caches, and I am assuming this is a different achievement/task than locating all the deposit box keys.... it sounds like it must involve Grey Mother telling you about it, or finding a note?

So far Ross, SnowWalker, and I have mostly been chatting in general while spilling random nuggets of knowledge here. I haven't really gone through it and gotten it organized or anything so the stuff is all over the thread. It's like a madman's diary in here...

We have all shared a few caches, and a few keys if you dig around...

Hopefully someone with gumption will write a hint guide, or update the Wiki or something at some point, as I want to know where everything is too.

I mostly just wanted a thread to talk about any found secrets of Wintermute, without having to black every post out, lol...

PS The three of us have been flying a little "fast and loose" with the double posts and whatnot. Try not to whip out the "ban hammer" if you go through it all...

No one has been bickering or arguing....yet, lol.

Don't worry, I never use my famous hammer 'Fluffnir' on anything but wolves. Oh well, and maybe forum trolls. But not on people. 

And I certainly don't get any secret hack or cheat versions of the game because I'm not employed by HL.

@cekivi and me are community moderators - just some friendly neighborhood long-term players who help out on the forums voluntarily if time permits. ;)

8 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Cool, nite chief! See you if I ever sleep and wake up again....lol

Hope you got some sleep, I got a few. That little house will be perfect timing to do right now also since I have to now also go to the farm, which is nearby, for Mother's last quest which will bring me back to the bank but I'll have both keys...and then I can leave episode one, again :)

Btw, just in case you don't know it, I'm female. I just wonder if you do know when you call me mate or chief...not that woman couldn't be those.

1 minute ago, SnowWalker said:

Hope you got some sleep, I got a few. That little house will be perfect timing to do right now also since I have to now also go to the farm, which is nearby, for Mother's last quest which will bring me back to the bank but I'll have both keys...and then I can leave episode one, again :)

Btw, just in case you don't know it, I'm female. I just wonder if you do know when you call me mate or chief...not that woman couldn't be those.

Soon you'll be caught up to where I am now in Ep 2...and We'll be discovering things more or less at the same time. Until you pass me. ;)

3 hours ago, June said:

Will was like: oh man this is so boring, get over it. :D:D

Hahaha, that's like a letsplayer was playing one of Mother's cut-scenes and she's at the part saying 'They are all gone now' and then Will chimes in right after she says that saying 'That guy who had to drink his own pee doesn't sound so crazy now' :D

1 minute ago, RossBondReturns said:

Soon you'll be caught up to where I am now in Ep 2...and We'll be discovering things more or less at the same time. Until you pass me. ;)

Probably not though. It took me days to finish eps 1 the first time. This second time I knew everything so it went fast.

Archived