Wintermute Spoiler Thread...

Thrasador

35 minutes ago, Partofla said:

Anything firestarting seems to qualify as wood for the old lady; best thing to do is go find a branch and cut it down or go through the abandoned homes tearing the furniture apart.

I gave her tons of newsprint and paper and her bin counted it.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, abacusjax said:

1 hour ago, abacusjax said:

By increasing trust with NPCs, you can gain items and clothing crafting recipes. That is also the only way to obtain a whetstone in episode 1.

And the old lady is the only NPC in episode 1 so....

29 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Wait can't you climb the rope back up to get more of your stuff? Or does it break?

I am the mountain goat masta, I will mountain goat that crap or die trying....prolly die ;)

You don't rally need to. There is plenty of loot around. In fact you may find that it's better to travel light and concentrate more on maintaining the gear you have than stockpiling. It's different than the sandbox in the sense that it's less " I gotta save all my stuff to survive as long as possible" and more like your on a quest and you can always find what you need to keep going.

Is the weather scripted to be constantly snowing on the way to Milton?

Did anyone have a clear day on the way to the blue trailer/church, or am I just being RNG cursed?

By doing some repairs and finding a few things on the way I got my "feels like" temp to -3°C which is a nice day in The Long Dark....should I move it, or wait for better?

36 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

And the old lady is the only NPC in episode 1 so....

Yeah, this is a hidden reward, though, I think. All the other unlockables are defined in the journal as soon as you meet an NPC. This one comes with the sharpening knowledge entry, and she didn't tell me she was giving it to me, and there was no indication that I had received one.

I went to the farmhouse before I got to Milton at the beginning of my game. Found everything there. Found the house keys, got in. Found the locked box in the office keys, everything. Never found a safe deposit box key and I can't find one now either.  Now I'm there again trying to find the safe deposit box keys for grey mother but they're aren't here. Did I screw myself and break the game by going to the farm right away? Because I had no idea whatsoever then that I was in a place where I wasn't supposed to be yet, and all I could think of at the time was hooray, I found shelter. There was no indication that I shouldn't be there. Do I really have to restart the whole game now? Also, the wolf I killed in the barn is gone too but I hadn't harvested it and he's replaced now by another live wolf. Wth? Why was I able to get into this farmhouse if I wasn't supposed to? :(

8 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I went to the farmhouse before I got to Milton at the beginning of my game. Found everything there. Found the house keys, got in. Found the locked box in the office keys, everything. Never found a safe deposit box key and I can't find one now either.  Now I'm there again trying to find the safe deposit box keys for grey mother but they're aren't here. Did I screw myself and break the game by going to the farm right away? Because I had no idea whatsoever then that I was in a place where I wasn't supposed to be yet, and all I could think of at the time was hooray, I found shelter. There was no indication that I shouldn't be there. Do I really have to restart the whole game now? Also, the wolf I killed in the barn is gone too but I hadn't harvested it and he's replaced now by another live wolf. Wth? Why was I able to get into this farmhouse if I wasn't supposed to? :(

Never mind, sorry, lol.

12 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Never mind, sorry, lol.

I think when I was watching the dumb dude play, he found a wolf in the farm house with a tractor outside and a workbench inside...the wolf was gnawing on a dead corpse inside the farm house. Scare away or fight the wolf and then search the corpse...I think he got the key off the body...and the box I think is in the house proper with the key from the blue truck dash board. I think the box was on the floor in the little computer room area...

5 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

So anyone remember any clear days on the way to Milton or is it snowing the whole time?

Yeah, I killed that wolf already the last time, but his carcass disappeared and he spawned again this time around, and that safe deposit box key is somewhere else anyway. The key in the barn is for something else. It didn't snow for me on the way to Milton but I have had a few storms. Thankfully they don't seem to last very long. One or two long storms is about all I've had so far.

2 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Anyone else got an invisible wolf at the church? So weird.

They may have just patched that one...

I know from watching that awful playthrough there is a wolf eating a deer directly in front of the church...

And thanks for the weather update!

I have had light to moderate snow the entire time since leaving the cave...:/

32 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

They may have just patched that one...

Well I was playing tonight and the invisible wolf was still there, and I've got patch 3. This time I walked up to the deer and even though I could hear the wolf growling like he was right on top of me, that's all it was, just his audio. I proceeded to harvest the deer carcass since I was badly in need of food, thanks to Grey Mother, and all the while the wolf's apparently ravaging it and not caring about what I'm doing :D 

Btw, when I went to that farm right away at the beginning instead of going to Milton first, and then had to kill that wolf...that's what finished off my steel shard knife. It wasn't long after that it was completely ruined. In fact, I left it on the table at that farmhouse, way back in the beginning. I played quite a bit of the beginning parts without having a knife or hatchet at all. Going into eps 2 now and I still only have a hatchet and it's already down to 32%

24 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Well I was playing tonight and the invisible wolf was still there, and I've got patch 3. This time I walked up to the deer and even though I could hear the wolf growling like he was right on top of me, that's all it was, just his audio. I proceeded to harvest the deer carcass since I was badly in need of food, thanks to Grey Mother, and all the while the wolf's apparently ravaging it and not caring about what I'm doing :D 

Btw, when I went to that farm right away at the beginning instead of going to Milton first, and then had to kill that wolf...that's what finished off my steel shard knife. It wasn't long after that it was completely ruined. In fact, I left it on the table at that farmhouse, way back in the beginning. I played quite a bit of the beginning parts without having a knife or hatchet at all. Going into eps 2 now and I still only have a hatchet and it's already down to 32%

So it's down to 32% even after getting the whetstone from Grey Mother?

Or did you not do enough crap to earn it?

Also, how the heck many things did you skin with the knife?

44 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

So it's down to 32% even after getting the whetstone from Grey Mother?

Or did you not do enough crap to earn it?

Also, how the heck many things did you skin with the knife?

None. Like I said, I found that farm before I found Milton and I had only cut up mostly cardboard crap and stuff like that before killing the wolf there. That was the second wolf I had killed with the shard and it finished off that knife. I hadn't skinned any animals before the knife died, except for the one on the cliff during the beginning tutorials.
Also, I did everything Grey Mother asked of me and even more than she asked of me but she still didn't give me a whetstone, and I was at very good standing with her. There were some things you could do extra for her that were not mandatory and I did most of that too but not all of it because  I forgot to get her a freaking rabbit pelt. I guess I didn't get the whetstone because I forgot to give her one freaking thing. I'm guessing that you have to get to hundred % trust with her before you get that whetstone, and that means doing a hell of a lot of extra stuff....which is giving her more stuff. Rabbit pelts earn you the most trust so now that I'm thinking about it, killing a ton of rabbits and giving her all the pelts could possibly get you up to a hundred % with her a lot faster, but it was tough enough just giving her all the things that you had to give her.

Huh, well that blows @SnowWalker

Well, others in the thread say there are more whetstones to be had in Episode 2. 

Also, the second patch said "added more tools to Milton"

I don't know what that means if you already left Milton for episode 2, but if you haven't, you could try re-searching a few houses to see if anything was added after you searched it...

Not sure if having searched every house negates the patch or what...it was just a suggestion...

I noticed after talking to her, in my journal it lists items she needs and like you stated fresh/cured rabbit pelts are worth 50 trust....you coukd stone a couple and give them to her...

My knife is at like 73 and I harvested the deer meat in the tutorial obviously....then totally skinned the deer in the bunny clearing before the cave, the deer after the cave, the deer behind the church, and 4 rabbits. I haven't had any wolf fights though. I think totally harvesting a deer/wolf fights eats about 10 condition each....

Maybe wolf fights are more than 10.

I am trying not to use it on cloth/boxes...

So tinder counts for Grey Mother's first quest for wood? So I should turn all news paper items into tinder and drop them in her fire bin?

Do cattail head tinder count as tinder? Like could I just give her 40 cattail heads and that would be that?

UPDATE: Yeah it all counts it seems, but the stuff to wood computation is peculiar....like 21 cattail heads counts as 0.5 wood out of 30....so based on that I'd need like 1200 cattails heads to complete her initial request. I found quite a few cattails in episode 1, but I'd guestimate its more like 100 total on the map....

4 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I noticed after talking to her, in my journal it lists items she needs and like you stated fresh/cured rabbit pelts are worth 50 trust....you coukd stone a couple and give them to her...

Yeah, I had meant to get her one more rabbit pelt and that would have put me over a hundred trust, but I forgot. I was kind of starving by the time she let me have the rope so I moved on hoping to find more food...so that's all I was thinking about at the time. I had the rabbit snare set up at the farmhouse for getting an easy rabbit but forgot to check it which also means, I forgot to bring my snare with me too. That one is no biggie. I should have taken it and set it up behind the radio tower instead, or go up there and stone one but my stomach was in the red anyway.

2 hours ago, Thrasador said:

So tinder counts for Grey Mother's first quest for wood? So I should turn all news paper items into tinder and drop them in her fire bin?

She takes the newsprint and rolls and stacks of paper as is, you don't have to make tinder plugs. I forgot to try the cat tail tinder though.

5 hours ago, abacusjax said:

Did you have the dialogue with her about sharpening tools? 

No I never did get the dialog for sharpening tools but I'm guessing that she will if you're up to 100% trust with her. I was up pretty high in trust but not quite a hundred.

4 hours ago, Thrasador said:

My knife is at like 73 and I harvested the deer meat in the tutorial obviously....then totally skinned the deer in the bunny clearing before the cave, the deer after the cave, the deer behind the church, and 4 rabbits. I haven't had any wolf fights though. I think totally harvesting a deer/wolf fights eats about 10 condition each....

I don't know. My shard died pretty quickly and unexpectedly. I didn't harvest anywhere near what you did either. Just boxes and two wolf struggles. I skinned that first deer at the crash site and I might have skinned the one behind the church with the shard also but I can't remember. I think I skinned that deer behind the church with my hatchet later on. I can't think of anything else that I did with that knife but it was a goner by the time I got to Milton. I was pretty happy to get that hatchet and I kept a close eye on it's condition. Thankfully it only degrades two points at a time with skinning carcasses and chopping cedar and fir limbs. Now at the start of eps. 2, I think it's down to 25% so getting a whetstone now would be nice, lol. The wolves that I fought were total surprises that jumped me out of nowhere and I'm pretty sure one was scripted.

Archived