Wintermute Spoiler Thread...

Thrasador

15 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Anyway the stream go straight up it....don't take the fork to the farm...go straight, when you get to the end there is a cliff, but you can hear crows....there is a dead body to the left when facing the cliff, he had a key and an energy bar.

Oh it was this guy who's got the darned key. I never did find this guy. Gotta go back up the stream now...before I give grams her box.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Haha, what a nice, ironic achievement name for finding all bank keys - "Too big to fail". :D

Could anyone please tell me how many non-storyline hidden caches exist in milton? I'm trying to do the "Cache mastery" achievement during my first Wintermute run and found some caches in Milton, but I don't know if I can move on or if I've missed further hidden caches because the achievement only pops up once you've also found the episode two caches.^^ 

I found two hidden caches so far - apart from the two storyline-related caches greymother tells you about for the flare gun and medicine, I mean. Are there more "random" hidden caches to be found in Ep.1?

(Please don't tell me where, if you know further cache locations - just if they exist.^^)

Cache locations I've found so far:

Reveal hidden contents

I've found one cache in a cave behind the radio tower (under some rocks in the back of the cave). Hint for it was inside the hilltop house near Milton.

The second cache was located behind the church next to a fallen tree. Hint for it was inside a car in Milton.

There is at least one  more. ;)

1 hour ago, SnowWalker said:

Oh it was this guy who's got the darned key. I never did find this guy. Gotta go back up the stream now...before I give grams her box.

It's a ways into the wide open space on the left side somewhere, he's at the foot of a cliff. Try to get some elevation somewhere near there and try to find the crows. I remember I went right first and was on a hill overlooking the farm and I didn't see anything dead or crows around there....so then I went back across the steam on some high terrain and I saw the crows, so I walked to the crows and looked down and saw he was below me like he fell off a cliff.

He's somewhere in that general area....I know I found him when I was walking the stream way out in the middle of nowhere on the edge of the map. 

30 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

He's somewhere in that general area....I know I found him when I was walking the stream way out in the middle of nowhere on the edge of the map. 

Found it and just started eps 2 now. Have to quit for a bit before I start it though. Going blind from here on in. Let me know when you've made it out of Milton or if there's anything else you want to know.

5 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Here's my Will, for starting the second episode  with

20170805161159_1.jpg

Where the hell did you find the ski mask?!

And nice work!

And no, I refuse to call the ski mask by the dumb name that I never pronounce right and my girlfriend makes fun of me...

17 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Found it and just started eps 2 now. Have to quit for a bit before I start it though. Going blind from here on in. Let me know when you've made it out of Milton or if there's anything else you want to know.

And thank you....I'll be a bit...maybe a couple days lol...

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

Where the hell did you find the ski mask?!

It was in the last deposit box before I opened the farmer's box. The key that dead guy had that you told me about. It's probably worked out that you only get certain things at a time with the boxes and you don't get that till second last, since I had all keys before except for that last key from the dead guy and I never got that um, balaclava neither. The other things that I got this time from the boxes were the exact same as before too, and in the same order, even though I think I used a different one to start with this time, than before...if you know what I'm tryin' to say, lol.

2 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

It was in the last deposit box before I opened the farmer's box. The key that dead guy had that you told me about. It's probably worked out that you only get certain things at a time with the boxes and you don't get that till second last, since I had all keys before except for that last key from the dead guy and I never got that um, balaclava neither. The other things that I got this time from the boxes were the exact same as before too, and in the same order, even though I think I used a different one to start with this time, than before...if you know what I'm tryin' to say, lol.

Oh I understand what you are saying...the rewards are the same regardless of which one you open, but they get progressively better the more you open....so you get the same items in the same order but it doesn't mater which box in what order...confusing to say but I think I get what you mean...

We should try to list all the keys and where they are then...

Are there any others that are hard to find....like not part of her quests....like the random dead guy I directed you to...

Like I'll find all the ones in houses, or cars, or places she sends me....are there any that are just like weird off the beaten path keys like that dead guy?

Or did I find the hardest to find one, lol?

10 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Oh random question....does predator meat give you parasite risk chance in Story mode? I actually haven't eaten a wolf yet...

The one I was planning on eating magically disappeared upon a reload...

The only key that was hard to find was that dead guy, and since you even found him I doubt you'll have trouble with the rest. All together there are only four and that's including the farmer's key. You can eat cooked wolf, I know that for sure. I've eaten four kg of it already and nothing happened.

Just now, SnowWalker said:

The only key that was hard to find was that dead guy, and since you even found him I don't doubt you'll have trouble with the rest. All together there are only four and that's including the farmer's key. You can eat cooked wolf, I know that for sure. I've eaten four kg of it already and nothing happened.

Thanks again for your speedy and concise replies! :)

40 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

No prob. If I'm here I'll answer eventually. Depends on what's happening in the game how fast I do answer.

Sorry that I obviously can't help with the curing hides issue...

You mean there are no caves deep enough or buildings yet? I know there will be eventually...

Or you found a suitable place, but they won't cure....

If that is the case, then that too might be unlocked by Jerimiah or something.  I remember someone saying he teaches you to craft something out of deer. Grey Mother was bunnies....I remember I read that.

In the meantime you can try saving and reloading and/or quit out of the game and come back if you haven't in a while.

I believe Hinterland has admitted there IS a memory leak in the game currently....

12 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Or you found a suitable place, but they won't cure....

If that is the case, then that too might be unlocked by Jerimiah or something.  I remember someone saying he teaches you to craft something out of deer. Grey Mother was bunnies....I remember I read that.

In the meantime you can try saving and reloading and/or quit out of the game and come back if you haven't in a while.

I believe Hinterland has admitted there IS a memory leak in the game currently....

No, I was in two buildings, both of which the hides won't cure, or the guts. I'm betting it's an unlocking thing. I brought two hides with me, cured already, and brought another on the way through. Been trying to cure it ever since, lol. I've just left it somewhere for now. I had the same thing and then quit for dinner and went back in and it's the same so, what's a memory leak?

6 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

No, I was in two buildings, both of which the hides won't cure, or the guts. I'm betting it's an unlocking thing. I brought two hides with me, cured already, and brought one on the way through. Been trying to cure it ever since, lol. I've just left it somewhere for now. I had the same thing and then quit for dinner and went back in and it's the same so, what's a memory leak?

Eh....it's computer nerd jargon....

Basically my understanding is sometimes games start using up more and more of your RAM and instead of releasing it to load the next bits of information into memory, it progressively keeps more and more of the RAM until there isn't any more left...

Then your computer explodes and kills you....

No, j/k then usually the game crashes....or other weird crap starts happening like graphics artifacts.....and then the game crashes....

Then your computer explodes and kills you....

J/k...:P

I pretty much pulled that explanation out of my butt....so you made me curious if I was sharing the correct knowledge, or talking out of my butt.

So I Googled it and read the Wiki entry on the explanation and consequences of memory leaks...

I feel I gave you a fairly solid layman's terms explanation...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

Other than it is not always only affects RAM memory....it can eat up other types of memory too like hard drive memory...

Usually people are referring to RAM though when they speak of it...

21 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Then your computer explodes and kills you....

:D Is that why my computer seems to be working big time, overtime? My fans are whirring so fast they could power Great Bear Island. I mean, this game is not as cool as it looks, hahaha. The only other game that I play that gets the fans running that fast is FO4, and I think Dishonored 2 too. I crashed for the first time in years playing this game just yesterday I think it was, when I tried to start a fire with the magnifying glass. The starting duration meter got stuck right away, froze the game, ctd.

36 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I feel I gave you a fairly solid layman's terms explanation...

Okay, I think I've got it, kind of. Everything I've learned and done in the game that is no longer relevant should disappear from computer memory, but it's being retained instead, and so as far as how much memory is needed to run the game, it's not running very efficiently and taking up way too much memory, idk? Or does it mean the game is not remembering all that it should be, for instance, why I keep losing stuff, like that coal and also my stims. I had three or four stims stashed away but when I went to retrieve them, only one there.
Well anyway, it doesn't matter. It's for the techies to figure out.

5 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Okay, I think I've got it, kind of. Everything I've learned and done in the game that is no longer relevant should disappear from computer memory, but it's being retained instead, and so as far as how much memory is needed to run the game, it's not running very efficiently and taking up way too much memory, idk? Or does it mean the game is not remembering all that it should be, for instance, why I keep losing stuff, like that coal and also my stims. I had three or four stims stashed away but when I went to retrieve them, only one there.
Well anyway, it doesn't matter. It's for the techies to figure out.

It's more like the first one....

The items disappearing is a bug. I have no idea what is causing it.

In the playthrough I watched on day one, it seemed like items he picked up were no longer present after reloading when he died....

I am assuming you are losing stuff without dying...I don't know why that is happening, but I hope it doesn't happen to me...lol.

What did you lose? Did you drop it somewhere and it later disappeared? Did it disappear from your inventory while you were carrying it? Was it a specific container?

Lastly if you can remember the details....make sure you bug report it. They need to get this crap fixed...

Archived