Wintermute Spoiler Thread...

Thrasador

Hello, I was wondering if it would be okay for this to just be a Wintermute spoiler thread, so the whole thread is a spoiler.

Meaning don't read this thread if you don't want spoilers, and if you write spoilers in this thread you don't have to black it out...

Is that okay?

If so I have a list of spoiler questions, that I would appreciate if someone "in the know" can answer for me because they found itm/did it already...

First what action or completion of what quest triggers the move from Will's episode 1 to episode 2.

Are there maple and birch saplings, and if so where are they all, and do they look different in the new Wintermute update?

Can we make a bow? When?

Do we get a rifle? When?

Did you find a hunting knife? Where?

Do you find whetstones? Where?

What qualifies as wood for the old lady, and how much wood does she need? Can I give her sticks?

Can we craft the craftable clothes? I already have guts and hides....but it looks like crafting is slowly unlocked in the Story...

Are there any other people other than the old lady? Where are they?

Are there currently any quests that can be broken by finding or searching things too early or out of order? If so can you tell me which ones to be careful with or places I shouldn't go/search until after doing "what?"

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm still in early episode 2. Lots of these I don't know, but here's some of what I do:

Once quests are completed for Grey Mother, she will send you on your way. You physically leave the location. It's a bit of a hike, and you can't leave without completing the quests. Don't worry, it won't be a surprise. Be careful about what items you bring with you - you can't come back to pick up the rest of your stuff. 

So far I've found one maple sapling, in episode 2, and it would be hard to miss if its always there. 

By increasing trust with NPCs, you can gain items and clothing crafting recipes. That is also the only way to obtain a whetstone in episode 1.

Anything used to make fire can fulfill the firewood quest. Tinder works too.

There is at least one additional NPC in episode 2. The credits for episode 1 listed actors I don't think I encountered, so I may have missed some side content, but not sure. I would be interested to know if there were people I didn't find. 

Crap she sends you on your way?

You can still hang around town though if you want to right?

You are saying the path you take to get to Episode 2 is one way and you like can't climb back up or something at some point to go back to the Milton area...?

I never found a knife. It was annoying, but not terrible. 

Sorry, I was unclear. Once you finish all her quests she tells you how to leave. She won't engage in story related dialogue with you, but you leave whenever you feel like it.  I hung out in her house for a week after, boiling water, making tea, and waiting for my hides to cure.

And yes, it's one way, and it saves immediately after you leave. I lost my hatchet because I thought I could come back for it. Although I was quickly able to replace it, I was feeling pretty gloomy for a few minutes there.

I am frustrated in general with any game that limits your play area in a way like that.

It isn't a deal breaker, I still want to play, but I would have preferred none of that can't go back to that other big zone bull crap...

That means the OCD in me will want to walk every square inch of the area between the cave and Milton and all the space arond Milton to ensure I sucked every drop of resources out of that area. 

I will be moving on with a 50 kilo pack too...

Like there is a little area to the right after the first bridge with cars, that has mushrooms and stuff. It connects down to the stream full of cattails and another car down on the stream bed. On the far end of the stream there is a little path back up that has rosehips on it and it dumps you on the road by the last car before the woodcutting trailer....

Just now, Thrasador said:

I am frustrated in general with any game that limits your play area in a way like that.

It isn't a deal breaker, I still want to play, but I would have preferred none of that can't go back to that other big zone bull crap...

That means the OCD in me will want to walk every square inch of the area between the cave and Milton and all the space arond Milton to ensure I sucked every drop of resources out of that area. 

I will be moving on with a 50 kilo pack too...

You'll only be able to take 30 kilos with you; you can't have more than 30 kilos when using a mountaineering rope.

Take 30 kilos + mountain rope and good luck. It gets richer episode 2 so you shouldn't be too upset.

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

Hello, I was wondering if it would be okay for this to just be a Wintermute spoiler thread, so the whole thread is a spoiler.

Meaning don't read this thread if you don't want spoilers, and if you write spoilers in this thread you don't have to black it out...

Is that okay?

If so I have a list of spoiler questions, that I would appreciate if someone "in the know" can answer for me because they found itm/did it already...

First what action or completion of what quest triggers the move from Will's episode 1 to episode 2.

Are there maple and birch saplings, and if so where are they all, and do they look different in the new Wintermute update?

Can we make a bow? When?

Do we get a rifle? When?

Did you find a hunting knife? Where?

Do you find whetstones? Where?

What qualifies as wood for the old lady, and how much wood does she need? Can I give her sticks?

Can we craft the craftable clothes? I already have guts and hides....but it looks like crafting is slowly unlocked in the Story...

Are there any other people other than the old lady? Where are they?

Are there currently any quests that can be broken by finding or searching things too early or out of order? If so can you tell me which ones to be careful with or places I shouldn't go/search until after doing "what?"

Saplings are useless, can't make anything with them in episode 2. Same thing with wolf pelts. Only thing worth carrying over from episode 1 are guts and deer hides. 

Cannot make a bow in episode 2. You'll find a rifle about a third of the way in episode 2. Hunting knife is in one of the fishing huts but I never needed it that much, just used my hatchet in fights/cutting stuff. Plenty of whetstones in episode 2 if you look around carefully.

Anything firestarting seems to qualify as wood for the old lady; best thing to do is go find a branch and cut it down or go through the abandoned homes tearing the furniture apart.

Old lady lets you learn how to craft rabbit mittens. Episode 2 lets you learn to craft deer skin stuff.

No one else living I found in episode 1. Old lady was kinda terrifying.

3 minutes ago, Partofla said:

Saplings are useless, can't make anything with them in episode 2. Same thing with wolf pelts. Only thing worth carrying over from episode 1 are guts and deer hides. 

Cannot make a bow in episode 2. You'll find a rifle about a third of the way in episode 2. Hunting knife is in one of the fishing huts but I never needed it that much, just used my hatchet in fights/cutting stuff. Plenty of whetstones in episode 2 if you look around carefully.

Anything firestarting seems to qualify as wood for the old lady; best thing to do is go find a branch and cut it down or go through the abandoned homes tearing the furniture apart.

Old lady lets you learn how to craft rabbit mittens. Episode 2 lets you learn to craft deer skin stuff.

No one else living I found in episode 1. Old lady was kinda terrifying.

Thank you very much for all the time you took to answer all that @Partofla!

Also, thank you to @abacusjax!

I suppose once she teaches you all she has to teach you, that is the ideal time to loot all her stuff...?

2 minutes ago, Partofla said:

Happens one or two more times in episode 2. Was not happy about it either but you make do and leave behind the stuff you consider less valuable.

What?! Can you tell me when and where the other two happen, so I don't lose even MORE crap please?

One way ropes to limit our game play is bush league...

2 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

What?! Can you tell me when and where the other two happen, so I don't lose even MORE crap please?

One way ropes to limit our game play is bush league...

If I remember correctly, there's a rope at the destroyed lookout (which was the former lookout). Can't go down it with more than 30 kilos but you can go back down the trail so that's no big deal.

The other one is at the very end when you're in the dam. Time is somewhat of the essence so while I guess it might be possible to go down, drop things off, go back up and pick up the rest, I didn't want to risk it. Left behind one or two items that I was not happy leaving behind but overall felt okay with the equipment I still had. But this is at the end of the episode so shouldn't hit hard until episode 3 or 4 comes out.

10 minutes ago, Partofla said:

If I remember correctly, there's a rope at the destroyed lookout (which was the former lookout). Can't go down it with more than 30 kilos but you can go back down the trail so that's no big deal.

The other one is at the very end when you're in the dam. Time is somewhat of the essence so while I guess it might be possible to go down, drop things off, go back up and pick up the rest, I didn't want to risk it. Left behind one or two items that I was not happy leaving behind but overall felt okay with the equipment I still had. But this is at the end of the episode so shouldn't hit hard until episode 3 or 4 comes out.

So the ending of episode 2 involves leaving the game area through the dam to the connector map that goes to Plesant Valley? And it is a time sensitive quest?

Just now, SnowWalker said:

One way ropes...you gotta be kidding me? There's no such thing. A rope is a rope.

It's an old rope....it tears and you fall...go up and read/spoil it if you wish. These guys are spillin the beans for me and I appreciate it...

Just now, Thrasador said:

So the ending of episode 2 involves leaving the game area through the dam to the connector map that goes to Plesant Valley? And it is a time sensitive quest?

Last answer for the night, bout to go to bed.

Episode 2 ending has you go into the dam during the aurora when everything works. You have to explore it and figure out how to get out before day cause if the aurora ends, you end up trapped and that's no good. Or at least that's the gist the game gives off. It's not super time pressing, cause the night can last a long time, but you never know.

4 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Sorry m8, I was PMing JAFO when you must have asked me...

I put it in a very self explanatory place though at least ;)

I can't find the answer to the whetstone. Also, houses galore, but no knives anywhere to be found, lol.

Just now, Partofla said:

Last answer for the night, bout to go to bed.

Episode 2 ending has you go into the dam during the aurora when everything works. You have to explore it and figure out how to get out before day cause if the aurora ends, you end up trapped and that's no good. Or at least that's the gist the game gives off. It's not super time pressing, cause the night can last a long time, but you never know.

Ok, well go to bed....maybe someone else can answer later...or you can tomorrow. Can you loot/explore most of the dam, before that final time sensitive quest?

Archived