Wintermute Spoiler Thread...

Thrasador

17 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I hope you do too! Sorry your first go has been a little sideways. If you ever decide to start over again...you will kill it from knowing what to do now....

I have to decided to start all over again. It shouldn't take me too long since I know it all now. It would be very nice to have that bedroll benefit at the beginning as well and I"ll know to leave the farm alone until mother sends me there. Yep, I think I'm gonna do it. So if you progress further into eps 2 before I do, maybe can you start a new spoiler thread for eps 2 so I'll know not to read anything till I get there again?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Max trust with an NPC is 375. It would probably be worth it to stone a few rabbits. I collected quite a few behind the church. Also, you can pick up a snare on the workbench at the farm shed. I have seen a rabbit by the road in front of Grey Mother's, but didn't ever get to testing if it's possible to snare them there.

8 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

I have to decided to start all over again. It shouldn't take me too long since I know it all now. It would be very nice to have that bedroll benefit at the beginning as well and I"ll know to leave the farm alone until mother sends me there.

It shouldn't make a difference if you go to the farm first. I did that too. (There was a scary wolf on the road!)

Just now, abacusjax said:

It shouldn't make a difference if you go to the farm first. I did that too. (There was a scary wolf on the road!)

Yeah, going there doesn't really matter. I'll go there for stuff if I need to. I know all about the farm and everything in eps 1. I've already finished it, without the benefit of getting that bedroll in the cave or having a knife through most of it.

Btw, yesterday I tried to make a campfire with the magnifying glass and it made my game crash. Not sure if that's just me but it's the only time TLD has ever crashed on me, even before. I know it was the magnifying glass's fault because it got stuck on the duration meter for starting the fire. It got stuck, froze game and then crashed.

3 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

I have to decided to start all over again. It shouldn't take me too long since I know it all now. It would be very nice to have that bedroll benefit at the beginning as well and I"ll know to leave the farm alone until mother sends me there. Yep, I think I'm gonna do it. So if you progress further into eps 2 before I do, maybe can you start a new spoiler thread for eps 2 so I'll know not to read anything till I get there again?

I feel you made the right decision  (but I didn't want to force you or frustrate you)!

I am pretty slow and methodical with everything I do, so if I were to venture a guess you will surpass my progress a second time....aka lap me, lol...

Yes, I would be sure to explore that dead end in the cave on the right, harvest lots of extra deer meat with your shard, and try to stone some extra bunnies in that first bunny clearing. Then do your best to avoid wolf struggles by using torches. Also I wouldn't chop up cardboard or boxes, unless I was sure something was under them or in them by saving my game first and checking, and then reloading if there wasn't...

As you most likely already know you can make tinder straight from sticks,  or use cattail heads. No need to waste the precious shard of skinning and butchering on cardboard....

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

Yes, I would be sure to explore that dead end in the cave on the right, harvest lots of extra deer meat with your shard, and try to stone some extra bunnies in that first bunny clearing. Then do your best to avoid wolf struggles by using torches. Also I wouldn't chop up cardboard or boxes, unless I was sure something was under them or in them by saving my game first and checking, and then reloading if there wasn't...

As you most likely already know you can make tinder straight from sticks,  or use cattail heads. No need to waste the precious shard of skinning and butchering on cardboard....

Yep, I'm already past Mother's food part. I make tinder plugs from the newsprint but before I was curious if there were things hiding under boxes but I'm not curious about that anymore, lol. I've just left all the boxes. You might already know this as well, but you be sure to check the very last car in Milton, the one on the left when you're heading out of town on the main road towards the gas station, and check the truck out back of the gas station. Oh, and I found a real knife this time so I have both the shard and a knife. Btw, what dead end cave? The one by the radio tower?

38 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Yep, I'm already past Mother's food part. I make tinder plugs from the newsprint but before I was curious if there were things hiding under boxes but I'm not curious about that anymore, lol. I've just left all the boxes. You might already know this as well, but you be sure to check the very last car in Milton, the one on the left when you're heading out of town on the main road towards the gas station, and check the truck out back of the gas station. Oh, and I found a real knife this time so I have both the shard and a knife. Btw, what dead end cave? The one by the radio tower?

Ooooh Do you remember where you found the knife?! Please do....the reason I ask is because I started my game BEFORE all these patches and I want to verify I am getting the "extra tools added to Milton" or if I too need to start over to benefit from the added stuff....

Sorry bout the cave I guess I was unclear. I mean the very first cave you go through after the bunny clearing and before the first wolf.

That cave you pass through has a dead end to the right. The way out is left.  If you are a good explorer, like I am....I am sure you searched the dead end to the right, and found the stuff...

The two playthroughs I watched on YouTube, the people went left and got out and never went back to see what was to the right. I always check all paths to loot everything. Even before they added a bedroll to that cave there was a sewing kit and some other useful stuff in the dead end on the right...

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

Ooooh Do you remember where you found the knife?! Please do....the reason I ask is because I started my game BEFORE all these patches and I want to verify I am getting the "extra tools added to Milton" or if I too need to start over to benefit from the added stuff....

Sorry bout the cave I guess I was unclear. I mean the very first cave you go through after the bunny clearing and before the first wolf.

Oh yeah, I checked to the right in that cave. I can't not check down all corridors of caves, lol and I have a good method for remembering where to go and where to check next in massive caves so that I don't get lost or go the same ways again.
The knife that I found was not there the first time I went to this place so I don't know if it's from the patch or just random good luck but it was with the dead guy up at the radio tower. The corpse sitting up against the rocks. Right on the ground beside the can of beans. The first time I played it there was only the can of beans.

43 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Oh yeah, I checked to the right in that cave. I can't not check down all corridors of caves, lol and I have a good method for remembering where to go and where to check next in massive caves so that I don't get lost or go the same ways again.
The knife that I found was not there the first time I went to this place so I don't know if it's from the patch or just random good luck but it was with the dead guy up at the radio tower. The corpse sitting up against the rocks. Right on the ground beside the can of beans. The first time I played it there was only the can of beans.

Dammit....I guess I need to start over...I just got beans. I was afraid of that....unless you find another knife before I start over lol....GOD DAMMIT HINTERLAND!!!! God forbid we not punish people stupid enough to start playing Wintermute on the first day...

Yes I quit and reload to "cheat bad losses."

I guess please let me know if you notice another knife somewhere...

Just now, Thrasador said:

Dammit....I guess I need to start over...I just got beans. I was afraid of that....unless you find another knife before I start over lol....GOD DAMMIT HINTERLAND!!!! God forbid we not punish people stupid enough to start playing Wintermute on the first day...

Maybe it's random though, idk? I can't remember the patch notes talking about a knife...but I'm not sure.

3 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I'm playing again in a bit so I still have a lot of places yet to clear so if I find another I'll let you know...but I highly doubt they'll give you two knives.

8 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Maybe it's random though, idk? I can't remember the patch notes talking about a knife...but I'm not sure.

The patch notes just said they added more tools to the town of Milton....it was fairly vague.

I am going on the assumption the knife you found is now static, and I don’t get one because I started my game before the three patches.

This could be a poor assumption, but it is my gut....

Anyone else find a knife by the dead guy near the radio tower with pork and beans?

Anyone find a knife anywhere else I could check before I ragequit and start over?

I really really really don't want to start over...

If there indeed WAS multiple potential places for knives I would guess the gas station or the farm...

But I suppose there still could be one in ANYONE'S house.

My gut says that dead guy is static after the patch though, because it is so out of the way. Man I just totally looted up there too. I cleaned out the deer and stoned and harvested the two bunnies and got all the coal, rosehips, and cattails....

12 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

The patch notes just said they added more tools to the town of Milton....it was fairly vague.

Oh yes, I did read this. Start over, it took me less than three hours to do her first two missions and because I knew what I was doing this time, I went to her place directly before doing a lot of looting. I gathered her wood and stuff and went to the gas station to loot that at the same time, before she tells you to. As a result I picked up tons of paper to give her and filled up her fridge the first time I opened it. Well I got it up to 9,??? and then cooked a ton of tea to finish it off. Now I still have the whole town to loot which means all the food that I find is mine. I only had to give her one chunk of meat too. We spent so much of our resources on keeping ourselves completely full in the first run that we end up having nothing left by the time we do her food mission. I am ten million times better off this time, and haven't had one wolf struggle yet either.

4 minutes ago, SnowWalker said:

Oh yes, I did read this. Start over, it took me less than two hours to do her first two missions and because I knew what I was doing this time, I went to her place directly before doing a lot of looting. I gathered her wood and stuff and went to the gas station to loot that at the same time, before she tell you to. As a result I picked up tons of paper to give her and filled up her fridge the first time I opened it. Well I got it up to 9,??? and then cooked a ton of tea to finish it off. Now I still have the whole town to loot which means all the food that I find is mine. I only had to give her one chunk of meat too. We spent so much of our resources on keeping ourselves completely full in the first run that we end up having nothing left by the time we do her food mission. I am ten million times better off this time, and haven't had one wolf struggle yet either.

Well I AM happy for YOU, m8! I suppose if I go again, I get a bedroll....there's that....bleh I am just soooo methodical and slow...you really have no idea. I have like loot OCD, and I am sooo careful.....grrrr. I don't deserve this...

AND I got three hours of sleep today so I am tired and fussy...

I might hold out until: 

A. Someone else finds a knife by that dead guy or...

B. Someone else or you find a knife somewhere else I can check out....

If I find no knife in the second spot I will absolutely start over I guess...

If that is the case, Hinterland REALLY needs to make patches patch save games....or just add a knife and bedroll to the inventory of people who should have gotten one, but they screwed over.

Starting over is like double screwing me over....I didn't find one, I can't get one, and I have to do it all over again...

Just now, Thrasador said:

Well I AM happy for YOU, m8! I suppose if I go again, I get a bedroll....there's that....bleh I am just soooo methodical and slow...you really have no idea. I have like loot OCD, and I am sooo careful.....grrrr. I don't deserve this...

I am very thorough as well. I have to get every stick etc. But this time I knew where it all was because I've found it all before. I finished it and without a bedroll or knife through most of it and I left no stone un-turned either. But, I want a good start in eps 2 and I don't care about the whetstone now. I'll get that in the second part.

Archived