What's your Long Dark game look like?

cekivi

What's your Long Dark game look like?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, on the forums there's always the open question of what do the people who make posts and comment mainly play? XBox players have a different experience than PC gamers. Are the forums over populated with Stalker enthusiasts or are one of the other difficulties better represented? I was curious to know the answer so I thought I'd ask.

For me, I game on a PC and play the difficulty I feel challenged by. Lately that's been Stalker but I'll probably start a new Voyager playthrough for the next major update ^_^

This is version 2 of this poll since the original was missing several options...

7 hours ago, cekivi said:

Are the forums over populated with Stalker enthusiasts or are one of the other difficulties better represented? I was curious to know the answer so I thought I'd ask.

I rather have the impression most of the forum users seem to mainly favor voyageur, they just tend to shift a bit more (new people register, are active for a few weeks, then disappear again).

It's rather a small crowd of long-time forum residents who probably form the biggest group of the Stalker enthusiasts. We're just more persistent and harder to get down. :silly:

Exceptions (like long-time Pilgrim players or shifting Stalker players) do exist as well, of course.

I mostly play Voyageur because of its balanced gameplay. I tried Pilgrim once, but it was simply too easy - by the end of day 1 I already had what I needed to survive way past day 200 it felt. I tried Stalker two times now, and both ended in quick, horrible (and horribly preventable) deaths :D

Pilgrim's a far nicer experience now that the rest mechanic has been rebalanced so that you can actually sleep normally now, instead of a horrifying wide-awake eternity. I have a friend who plays that setting and loves to chill out to it, more power to him.

Me, I love Voyageur. Perfect balance. Now that I've reached 40 days for the first time I feel I've got a proper handle on the game, and can afford to relax a little and take in more of the ambience, enjoy the serenity. Of course, that never lasts long and my heart starts hammering as per usual as I desperately try to stay ahead of yet another oncoming blizzard in Pleasant Valley. Good times! Not sure what I'm going to do do when my knife wears out though... time to get planning the long game!

I have always played Pilgrim on the XB1.  Am I afraid of being mauled by a wolf?  Kinda.  But mostly I use Pilgrim because I want a more realistic, dare I even say meditative, experience.  In game lore there's a reason the animals are aggressive, and I will happy enjoy that in the story mode. But for sandbox I really want it feel like real life, which can get boring but it can also be beautiful, exciting, and full of wonder.  

me, i'm an xbox gamer and my preference is solely stalker. that's probably the reason my high is just 57 days :P

i play on stalker simply because pilgrim is basically god mode and voyageur, while a tad more realistic and funner gameplay wise, is still too simple. when i first started playing back in september last year, i played my first.. i wanna say 4? (forgotten the exact number) sandboxes in voyageur. i had nowhere near mastered anything in this game, but i just kinda plunged headfirst into stalker and never looked back :P

i guess i crave those near death experiences, and stalker gives me more of them. it really pushes your (theoretical) survival instinct and is just much funner in my opinion :D

the only map i have legit fun playing on voyageur is timberwolf mountain. but anything other than that, i think there's too much loot and wolves arent enough of a challenge unless youre sick. fluffy just doesnt have that same intimidating charm on voyageur :P

• 3 weeks later...

I just enjoy wandering around the world sometimes, but i usually stay at the camp office, because i am so close to other houses, and also there are the ice fishing places, to get tonnes and tonnes of fish per day. I just sleep in the one that has the door, and fish when it is light. That gets me fish and then i head back to the office to cook the fish and boil some water. Easy life, yes, but when story mode comes out, i will go on a harder version.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice poll !!

I haven't seen much of a difference between any of the modes. I haven't played them all since this month's update (too busy digging the new challenges).  Pre Update  I have played all 3 difficulty levels and they all look and feel the same to me. 

After playing in the three difficulties, I'm staying with Voyager, for me it has the perfect balance with wildlife, although I would prefer it being harsher on the weather conditions, and less loot. There is something with the amount of wolves in Stalker that changes the game completely for me... is just too action-based.  

• 2 months later...

This is actually my very first post. I've had TLD for a while but now have just started to really play it.

For the most part I have multiple characters running. Most of my gameplay has been using random...actually my longest survival thus far is in random at a measly 3 days- being that I started in Timberwolf Mountain and made it to PV I'm happy with it...and eventually will be uploading the LP.

It's a super beautiful game and I'm just taking my baby steps.

Thanks for making it. Now to read the board and learn some tips.

When I was first learning game mechanics I played pilgrim a lot, I still like to, whether because it relaxes me or a new update is out so I'm testing the features. Now i try and play voyager more, I've tried stalker but I don't play it nearly as often as the other two. I'm about to reach 40 days on one of my games, a first that I am extremely happy with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: I now play mostly on Voyageur.

Every time I have to start with a new sandbox I play as as though I don't know where any of the resources are. After all I'm someone new how would I. Of course I cannot forget what I learn as I have played each sandbox, but I can apply it in a logical manner. So I always play as if I'm finding things and using them for the first time, not as If I know where I'm going or what I might find.

Just keeping it real.

• cekivi locked this topic

Archived