IGN STORY MODE REVEAL + TEASER

Raphael van Lierop

Not trying to be mean or anything but i am utterly confused.

Not only are the attires of the two characters vastly different as opposed to what we have found so far, are this the kind of improvisation with clothing we will get with the finished product or is it a starter set? Which makes me wonder if we begin the story at the beginning of the disaster oooor jumping in some months (years?) after the incident? :|

And boy, did it take a darker turn! If i knew about this game in advance i'd support it in kickstarter for its game value but i can't say i like the story much, it's disappointing to me really. Were i the only one thinking the game was about to survive, to hold on until a certain time limit were met and then we got rescued out of the inflicted danger zone? This is a very different setting than what i expected. I hope this isn't a game we will have to kill people in order to survive, that's what Tomb Raider did wrong in the newest game in my opinion and what made Legend, Anniversary and Underworld better. I mean, you actually had a tranquelizer gun as an alternative aaaall the way. :roll:

On a sidenote :arrow: : I know this might be a production secret, but may i at least know if the garment of the female character around her neck is supposed to be a military wool blanket? The red stripe makes it look identical to the Norwegian Military Surplus Wool Blanket and i think that's awesome.

And boy, did it take a darker turn! If i knew about this game in advance i'd support it in kickstarter for its game value but i can't say i like the story much, it's disappointing to me really. Were i the only one thinking the game was about to survive, to hold on until a certain time limit were met and then we got rescued out of the inflicted danger zone? This is a very different setting than what i expected. I hope this isn't a game we will have to kill people in order to survive, that's what Tomb Raider did wrong in the newest game in my opinion and what made Legend, Anniversary and Underworld better. I mean, you actually had a tranquelizer gun as an alternative aaaall the way. :roll:

I'm really, really disappointed with this, too. Probably the BEST thing about The Long Dark to me is that it isn't unnecessarily violent. You hunt to survive and death is not a gorefest. With StoryMode having NPCs, I was expecting some arguments or less than friendly encounters, probably a few more corpses in the vein we see now but less frozen, but not standing there watching people beat someone to death. Is it likely to happen in a realistic survival scenario? Unfortunately, yes. But TLD always seemed to not be focused on that aspect of survival, showing that survival is grim without factoring the worst of humanity into it. This is the big selling point I use when telling people about The Long Dark.

I'm really, really disappointed with this, too. Probably the BEST thing about The Long Dark to me is that it isn't unnecessarily violent.

They never said there wouldn't be violence... It's not a FPS or Kill-Everything-In-Sight game, but right from the earliest days it's been stated there would be some very grim and challenging decisions to be made -- even in one of the earliest teasers

[bBvideo 560,340:1t29okna]

[/bBvideo]

Wow, I'd completely missed that teaser somehow.

More violence is not a deal-breaker for me, as long as it's believable, germane to the story, and doesn't simply turn this beautiful game into just another first-person splatterfest. From what I've seen so far, I have faith in the devs.

More violence is not a deal-breaker for me, as long as it's believable, germane to the story, and doesn't simply turn this beautiful game into just another first-person splatterfest. From what I've seen so far, I have faith in the devs.

Definitely not a splatterfest... in fact, the violence is the least favorable option because it has more serious consequences in this game [e.g. death, etc]... That's also why it's not filled with 50 types of weapons, missile launchers, ray guns, etc... Fighting is a last choice decision -- but the violence may demand you make some personal moral decisions of when to get involved, back away or walk away, hide, etc. etc. etc. When added, it's for a very specific reason or purpose... 8-)

You can read and listen to some of the early interviews explaining it more by going back to the early posts in viewforum.php?f=49

Definitely not a splatterfest... in fact, the violence is the least favorable option because it has more serious consequences in this game [e.g. death, etc]... That's also why it's not filled with 50 types of weapons, missile launchers, ray guns, etc... Fighting is a last choice decision -- but the violence may demand you make some personal moral decisions of when to get involved, back away or walk away, hide, etc. etc. etc. When added, it's for a very specific reason or purpose... 8-)

You can read and listen to some of the early interviews explaining it more by going back to the early posts in viewforum.php?f=49

Well said. I have no problems with what was revealed in the teaser. I'm looking forward to it!

Woooow, so much boohooing over nothing. It seems people have fogotten everything is in alpha, things will change, the studio has a direction and a story they want to tell. That's the one thing that hasn't been influened by us and won't be. I'm happy for it to. As for me I am totally STOKED!!! This story looks promising! The art looks amazing! I can't wait for spring. :lol:

It looks like an interesting take on what may happen if we were all suddenly thrown back technology-wise 200 years.

Though I'm not a fan of 'artsy' style graphics I've already set aside money in my Steam account to buy this.

I generally buy one game a year and it looks like The Long Dark is it for 2016.

The simulated realism is the main thing that makes me like this game over others.

That's more important than realistic-looking graphics (which is the 2nd priority for me).

Sincere thanks to the Hinterland Team for making a great game and their continued work on it.

• Hinterland

Thanks for all the comments!

I can understand how for some people the dark tone in the Story teaser may feel out of place, compared to what they have experienced in the Sandbox so far, where there has been more of a "blank slate" for you to create your own story.

For me, the violence in the trailer is only a small part of it -- it's mostly hopeful, to me. I think if you consider the contrast between the beauty of the environment in the game, and the harshness of gameplay, you can imagine how we would like to explore those same ideas in narrative. This has always been an experience meant to ask the question, "how far would you go to survive?". The story will let us explore this with you, in new and different ways.

is there, by chance, a youtube link?

the xbox one honestly cannot even run the ign website. edge crashes every single time i try to watch this -.-

in addition, however, by reading the comments, i think that a darker gameplay and violence and strong choices will really add on to the game. as the above comment says, it really pushes the whole "how far would you go to survive?" idea. and i mean, it isnt like you have to become a ruthless murderer, massacring and cannibalizing every person you come across. its a completely optional decision. you can get by just off the land, or scavenging abandoned houses and cabins. to me, a darker feeling would complete the feel of the game. its how it was always meant to feel in the first place. so +1, hinterland team! i am so excited for the story mode *-*

d i mean, it isnt like you have to become a ruthless murderer, massacring and cannibalizing every person you come across. its a completely optional decision. you can get by just off the land, or scavenging abandoned houses and cabins.*

I certainly hope you are correct about that, since this is a game of choice, being a sandbox after all; Ends up indirectly forcing you into the kill-other-people-or-else-you'll-die-of-starvation-and-whatnot-and-loose-the-game-because-you're-a-wuss, if that would indeed end up being the case then i'd retract everything i liked originally about this game and close the case as hogwash. I state that in absolutely no personal manner but only as feedback from a gamer/buyer's perspective. :idea: I apologies still if this offends anyone still, but that might indicate that you yourself are a little bit too into the game in return, yes? :geek:

It might be what make people like The Long Dark more as it reminds them of The Road and whatnot, personally i think people that enjoys conditions as introduced in that movie; Got some unseen issues while i myself almost got depressed watching that movie, how can people seriously enjoy that? :| It was literally stated as a 'feelbad' film :!: Perhaps i'm missing a bigger picture here but whatever, that's not the point.

I mean, if it absolutely have to be included then i hope it better ends up as an observation and nothing more at least, considering that you choose to have no part of it. Or else i'd have to say i like the unfinished product better along with my imagination. Lacking these things was one of the main things i liked about The Long Dark, i have purposefully avoided games like The Forest and Ark Survival Evolved to not get into that 'murder=survivalism' concept which i again find rather... underwhelming, as it (as they themselves are trying to achieve through immersion) inspires, and it inspires to nothing good and any artist should understand that, question is; Do they care? :shock:

For those worried about the violence, That is going to be part of your decision making process and morals, how you avoid it or use it is your gameplay. If TSHTF in real live you would have to make the same choices, avoiding all contact will be all but impossible and it wont be all rainbows and candy i can assure you. Dont ask for immersion and realism then complain when its delivered.

I certainly hope you are correct about that, since this is a game of choice, being a sandbox after all; Ends up indirectly forcing you into the kill-other-people-or-else-you'll-die-of-starvation-and-whatnot-and-loose-the-game-because-you're-a-wuss, if that would indeed end up being the case then i'd retract everything i liked originally about this game and close the case as hogwash.

The sandbox will remain intact, so I don't think the introduction of the story mode need change your experience at all. The solitude and (wo)man-against-nature challenge are appealing and I have enjoyed playing the sandbox for a time. Now I am eager for the story content that was part of the original appeal I saw in the Kickstarter - the challenge of endless survival and Steam achievements only motivate so far .

The episodic structure will, I hope, ensure we get additional areas and gameplay features added onto the sandbox throughout the year to meet the demands of the story.

Though I'm not a fan of 'artsy' style graphics... The simulated realism is the main thing that makes me like this game over others.

That's more important than realistic-looking graphics (which is the 2nd priority for me).

I totally get where you're coming from, but one of the things I'm struck by when playing the game is how the graphics work to immerse you in a way that I think a totally realistic art-direction wouldn't. You can pick out details in the distance that would otherwise be too blended into a mess, and you'd probably find yourself more distracted and confused trying to work out what you could interact with and what you couldn't.

The art style works well to draw you into the game world.

thank you for the link bethany, going to watch it now :)

and in reply to all the comments about the art style of this game, i for one REALLY like it. i cant really give a detailed reason why. i just kinda do. but everyone i have shown the game to just bashed the art style and i always kinda just sat there like "dude, what is wrong with you?"

i think the art style is brilliant. however, im not saying that more realistic graphics wouldnt be fun. i would love that, too, if that ever becomes an idea in future updates. my reason being that this is the most realistic survival game i have ever seen in my life. and realistic graphics would give it even more appeal in that direction.

but there have been so many times in this game that i just stopped and could not stop staring over the mountain ranges at a sunset, or up at the night sky as the (absolutely flawless) music kicks in, in the background. so i'd be completely satisfied either way

For me, there´s no question about the art style and graphics of the game. It´s unique and beautiful, stunning and memorable. It´s real and surreal at the same time. Snow-, wind- and sound effects are of its own class. And realistic as hell if you ask me.

Same goes for the trailer. I´m in love with that style of art. I mean, there are many approaches to games by many developers in this kind of style, but Hinterland just nails it! It´s beautiful! Just look at the characters. That woman holding that bow. Wow! I´m super excited about the story mode. I personally think it felt like a love story :)

As for the comparism to the movie "The Road": if you classify it as a "feelbad" movie, you just didn´t watch closely. Of course it´s dark. It´s very dark. It´s melancholic. But it raises the question: how far would you go to survive? Same as The Long Dark. Also it´s pure poetry. Go read the book by Cormac McCarthy ;) (it won the Pulitzer Price btw)

I always like dark moods in movies and games, and TLD just fits so perfectly in there. Can´t wait for story mode! Keep it up Hinterland! ♥♥♥

I actually like the teaser trailer, it sets the right mood for what we are going to encounter and have to endure. For one it states clearly that mankind didn't just vanish in a single moment and we are the only survivor left, no, as one would expect after "a catastrophic" global event the world falls a part piece by piece day by day until barely anyone's left. And given what cruelties people are capable to do to each other when they are well fed and have a roof over their head, imagine what those people would do if they actually had to fight for survival.

So the "violent" scene in the trailer some are upset about is justified and even needed to some point, it tells the player: this is no jolly outdoor trip where everyone is singing Kumbaya but a harsh no-bs survival situation, you have to make decisions and they will influence you and the people around you in one way or another. To this respect the trailer reminded me somewhat of The Walking Dead game series which sole gameplay consists of decision making and dealing with the consequences.

The only thing I don't like no matter how many times I watch the video is the red nose of the lady, it seems out of place.

But let's not forget that story mode will only give us playtime for about 12hours a year. Compared to the several hundred hours many of us have spent in sandbox, story mode will - to me - always be just a nice (or not so :twisted: ) diversion from sandbox. That's not to say that I won't appreciate the story, on the contrary I look very much forward to it, I will play every episode and I'm curious if and how the story experience will shift my sandbox gameplay. But the main thing for me will, as far as I can tell now, always be sandbox and I am grateful that hinterland decided to continue sandbox in the final release ;)

I'm really excited for Story mode and even more excited for loads and loads more maps for sandbox. Cracking game, had it on 5.1 surround sound the other day. The fire was ROARING, the wind was 'a' blowing and I was a happy happy boy! Keep those sandbox regions coming!! 5+ brand new areas realeased at once would equal mind blown!!!

Back to the teaser, I think the dark grim survival tone, like The Road, is perfect for this game and is kind of what I've been envisioning. When everything has been taken from us, can we hold onto our humanity? Is there room in this new world FOR humanity?? Will nature take back her once beautiful land?? Can I be a part of it and how will I meet my end?!?!

I can't wait to find out !

Archived