OCTOBER DEV DIARY

5 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

)So I definitely think we need to come up with a better business model for games like TLD, but I also think there's so much gross and exploitative monetization going on in the games space right now that people are really pushing back against anything that isn't a straight up purchase, and I totally understand why (I'm a gamer and consumer too!).

That's so tough! I really think the game could have been Wintermute only with Survival as a DLC/Expansion. I feel we got 2 games for the price of one. But it would have been tough to do that from the start because it's my understanding that it was a surprise how popular Sandbox mode was! 😆

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that!

• Upvote 1

Excited to see the conclusion to Wintermute, as well as the Cougar, Trader, and Safehouse Customization. It's been a long ride with you guys, but I appreciate the dedication and constant support. Ten years is a long time to support a project, and I'm always more than happy to buy whatever DLC or merch you guys put up to continue supporting it: love this game and will continue playing it for many years to come. Curious to see what your new projects are as well. Kudos.

• Upvote 5

Appreciate the update and I do enjoy reading the dev diary prose. Looking forward to Part 6 and whatever the future holds. I feel like the DLC was money well spent. Take your time.

In terms of value, I feel like Part 3 brought the most bang for the buck. Ptarmigans, DIY fishing holes, and cooking recipes were just awesome additions for existing and new maps! Obviously the other Parts had upside for new maps, items, but for overall practical long term survival, Part 3 is top tier. I really hope Part 6 will dethrone it with new items and add more cooking recipes, especially for recycled cans. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Thank you to Hinterland for your continued development and care of this game and it’s players. It’s something that is unique and has grown over time -telling a story rather than the copy-paste-repeat of a lot of modern games.  I appreciate the description of the thinking behind the future projects. It seems sound and still reveals they are in the works, in a tactful way. Excited to see what Hinterland develops next, and to see what else they intend to bring to TLD. 

• Upvote 4

I mentioned yesterday I was not interested in an advanced Custom Settings system, however thinking about it again I think it could be interesting if it came with a shareable preset system. Basically players could create sets of custom settings and save them as presets which could then be shared with the community. This would make the system appealing to me. What do you think?

Edited by yoli
  • Upvote 1

I mean that is how the current system works for custom settings, so yeah, it'd be good if a way to share custom settings continued to exist.

Perhaps a QR code would be better than a Base64 string. (On second thought, perhaps not.)

Edited by nautofon
second thoughts

54 minutes ago, nautofon said:

Perhaps a QR code would be better than a Base64 string. (On second thought, perhaps not.)

Or both, so people have options. I don't like using QR codes, even though I have a smart phone that can read them. Options are good. Mainly I would like to see a way to save the share code without having to screenshot it and then try to figure out if that is an O or a 0, or an l or I or1, etc. Currently the share code font can be a bit confusing, especially on smaller screens (looking at you Switch and Steam Deck) or at lower resolutions on computer monitors or TVs.

2 hours ago, yoli said:

Basically players could create sets of custom settings and save them as presets which could then be shared with the community. This would make the system appealing to me. What do you think?

Yes, this ^^^. But how do we share between platforms? I want to share a code from my game on PC with my (adult) kids, who are playing the game on XBox, without them having to go to a PC and write the code down, for example. Not sure how that can be done in a Singleplayer game that does not have Crossplay.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nautofon said:

I mean that is how the current system works for custom settings, so yeah, it'd be good if a way to share custom settings continued to exist.

Oh, I didn't know this actually existed :) This was not obvious to me though, maybe they could improve this, and enable users to bring their own presentation text, maybe graphics so the new modes display in a similar way as the built-in modes (of course with a distinction that these are user modes).

Edited by yoli

I'm wondering how many settings are actually possible ,without my Xbox going into meltdown from a memory overload😁

Looking  forward to seeing what they'll be though..  I think my only one would be to have each animal have their own passive/non passive settings...oh and optional glimmer fog.

Are the accessibility options being changed too?

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

Not sure I like being able to craft a crafting bench in any interior to be honest. Having only the few that players know of in the world just sounds better to me. Anyone else feel similar?

Not really. From the picture, it looks like it will consume a good amount of resources to craft, probably take a good bit of time, and possibly be limited in what you can craft there (hit things with a heavy hammer on it- maybe not a great idea?). It, along with other items shown, don't look like they are going to be "quick, inexpensive, and easy" to build and set up just anywhere. The only places I can see myself even wanting to build one might be in HRV, at the train station in Transfer Pass, at the Poacher's Camp in FM, or similar locations with no or few workbenches available. And of course- can we build and place in in outdoor bases like caves? I live in caves (vanilla Stalker) a lot, and that's where I *might* want to have one. In my cave base or bases, so I can craft animal skin clothing and such.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Not really. From the picture, it looks like it will consume a good amount of resources to craft, probably take a good bit of time, and possibly be limited in what you can craft there (hit things with a heavy hammer on it- maybe not a great idea?). It, along with other items shown, don't look like they are going to be "quick, inexpensive, and easy" to build and set up just anywhere. The only places I can see myself even wanting to build one might be in HRV, at the train station in Transfer Pass, at the Poacher's Camp in FM, or similar locations with no or few workbenches available. And of course- can we build and place in in outdoor bases like caves? I live in caves (vanilla Stalker) a lot, and that's where I *might* want to have one. In my cave base or bases, so I can craft animal skin clothing and such.

I think it said places with loading screens only? I may be wrong but that's going to count out places like transfer pass and definitely no open caves.. not sure about transition caves though .

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

Not sure I like being able to craft a crafting bench in any interior to be honest. Having only the few that players know of in the world just sounds better to me. Anyone else feel similar?

But what if it cost you a rare and valuable resource to do so, like a hacksaw or a prybar or some other metal tool. That would prevent the problem I think. I've always thought it a little bizarre that I can't just sit on the floor and make arrows. lol

Edited by Sherri
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Leeanda said:
59 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Expand  

I think it said places with loading screens only? I may be wrong but that's going to count out places like transfer pass and definitely no open caves.. not sure about transition caves though .

Oof. I need to read the whole thing again, even though I've read it several times, lol. I missed that. So no 2 layer caves, though empty bunkers do have loading screens. So that may be an option in some regions.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Gentleman Bastard said:

+1 from me. The game is forcing us to travel with those rare locations and I do like that. Otherwise I would become too lazy...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Oof. I need to read the whole thing again, even though I've read it several times, lol. I missed that. So no 2 layer caves, though empty bunkers do have loading screens. So that may be an option in some regions.

I also wondered if the tales bunker had one in.. in hrv anyway...

But I never thought of the empty preppers..  

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

i am SO excited about all this, i love the new stuff thats gonna be added into the game!! im so proud of you guys for constantly updating and enhancing this game further despite everything

and as for the possibility of another game... thats amazing. i will play literally anything you guys could make and im positively curious to see how it will turn out!

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Upvote 2