TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Five -- "Last Horizon", Launches June 24th at 10AM Pacific

Admin

On 6/20/2024 at 4:44 PM, stratvox said:

I think that the high pass region is going to be the last region added to TFTFT. I do think that part 5 of Wintermute will feature a coastal region, based on that picture of the steam-powered sail ship in the teaser image for it:

r/thelongdark - Episode 5 title revealed

Like I said at the time, if you think about it, a sailing ship with an aftermarket steam engine installed would be a good way to get around the world after the Flare, because none of those technologies are reliant in any way on properly functioning electrical circuits so they wouldn't get destroyed by it.

Please forgive the off topic post, but that ship really reminds me of the Karluk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_voyage_of_the_Karluk

recommended reading if anyone is interested:

https://www.jenniferniven.com/the-ice-master

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Is there any reason why you shouldn't?   I'd love to see it.

Spoilers lol...  

I'll probably have seen half the map on here or ytube before I've even downloaded it

12 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Just signed off on Monday's update video. It's over 10 mins long and full of great stuff. I'm so excited for you all to see it that I'm almost ready to leak it to you myself. The team has really outdone themselves with this update, and I personally think it's one of our best update videos yet. I know it's infuriating to read this and still have to wait a few days. And I'm sure there will be some surprises and upsets on Monday, but just at this very moment I feel so proud of the team and this is the best best part of the update process -- just before it drops, when I can imagine all your faces when you open it up and see what's in store...

The team's just putting the final touches on things and we're finalizing the release notes and all that last-minute stuff...but it's not far now. See you on Monday at 10AM Pacific. 

Man I feel this - the longer my career as a web applications developer goes... the more I've experienced that pre-launch excitement. There will be complainers - there always is - but hold fast to your pride in your work & those of us who will be over-the-moon.

I can't understate how rare it is to love a game that also gets so much love from its studio & has grown so far beyond its original plan. Such an accomplishment. The Hinterland team should be so proud of this. 😁

Edited by Sherri
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Please forgive the off topic post, but that ship really reminds me of the Karluk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_voyage_of_the_Karluk

recommended reading if anyone is interested:

https://www.jenniferniven.com/the-ice-master

I hope that Will and Astrid don't hop on the Karluk to get off Great Bear - that didn't end too well as I recall.  Hmmm - next game?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Just signed off on Monday's update video. It's over 10 mins long and full of great stuff. I'm so excited for you all to see it that I'm almost ready to leak it to you myself. The team has really outdone themselves with this update, and I personally think it's one of our best update videos yet. I know it's infuriating to read this and still have to wait a few days. And I'm sure there will be some surprises and upsets on Monday, but just at this very moment I feel so proud of the team and this is the best best part of the update process -- just before it drops, when I can imagine all your faces when you open it up and see what's in store...

The team's just putting the final touches on things and we're finalizing the release notes and all that last-minute stuff...but it's not far now. See you on Monday at 10AM Pacific. 

OMG, all the HYPE!

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2024 at 4:18 PM, bysinda said:

People who scream on steam are never happy 

Sorry for the late answer to this but anyways, honestly that's probably true but you gotta admit they're right when they say it should be finished before the dlc.

• Hinterland
1 hour ago, rush247 said:

Sorry for the late answer to this but anyways, honestly that's probably true but you gotta admit they're right when they say it should be finished before the dlc.

I guess this is a matter of opinion. What you would be saying essentially is "you should have stopped developing/improving Survival until Episode Five was finished." TALES was a way for us to continue updating Survival -- which most of our players wanted -- in a paid format (which most of the players we asked said they were happy to do). 

But there was no version of continuing to update Survival for free any longer. If you've enjoyed any of the free stuff we've added to the base game since Dec 2022, you can thank TALES for that stuff. Most of the new stuff added in TALES was significant work and stuff we couldn't have really justified doing, and we wouldn't have been able to commit to a specific roadmap if we didn't know people would be paying for it. We've put an entire game's worth of features and content into TLD through TALES, well beyond a standard DLC.

Survival has been "finished" for a while. We've just been continuing to update it while we worked on Wintermute. I could see why people would be upset at us for selling Story Mode DLC before we finished WM. But the other thing...I guess I just see it differently, because I have to pay the bills. 😅

• Upvote 9
  • Like 1

It will be bittersweet when tld reaches its end...  Not that I'll stop playing it..

.  Unless there's a chance of future dlcs or tld2😁 maybe...one day????

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I guess this is a matter of opinion. What you would be saying essentially is "you should have stopped developing/improving Survival until Episode Five was finished." TALES was a way for us to continue updating Survival -- which most of our players wanted -- in a paid format (which most of the players we asked said they were happy to do). 

But there was no version of continuing to update Survival for free any longer. If you've enjoyed any of the free stuff we've added to the base game since Dec 2022, you can thank TALES for that stuff. Most of the new stuff added in TALES was significant work and stuff we couldn't have really justified doing, and we wouldn't have been able to commit to a specific roadmap if we didn't know people would be paying for it. We've put an entire game's worth of features and content into TLD through TALES, well beyond a standard DLC.

Survival has been "finished" for a while. We've just been continuing to update it while we worked on Wintermute. I could see why people would be upset at us for selling Story Mode DLC before we finished WM. But the other thing...I guess I just see it differently, because I have to pay the bills. 😅

Dude, as someone who has been playing this game for 10 years, I say you did a great job. When I look back, I see where the game has gone in 10 years, do not leave the game after the 5th episode, announce the 2nd season and the additional 2nd DLC, we have grown with this game, we have accumulated a lot of memories, maybe we want this to continue for a while. You and We love the team very much. Best regards

• Upvote 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I get that, and it being finished is what a lot of potential buyers are waiting for so you do have a big payday to look forward to. 🤑  Speaking of that are the price increases still planned?

On 6/21/2024 at 4:37 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Oh im so hyped... I wont be able to play it until next month 😭 but im so excited to see whats coming and especially excited about the whole glimpse into episode 5 👀

9 hours ago, dominik89 said:

Dude, as someone who has been playing this game for 10 years, I say you did a great job. When I look back, I see where the game has gone in 10 years, do not leave the game after the 5th episode, announce the 2nd season and the additional 2nd DLC, we have grown with this game, we have accumulated a lot of memories, maybe we want this to continue for a while. You and We love the team very much. Best regards

This omg!! I was 11 when i first encountered this game... to think its been 9 years! I honestly dont know how my life would be without tld 😅 

• Like 2

I hope there will be a way for players to choose the post death afflictions that would be applied after the second try mechanic. Add them to custom settings to apply at game start. While I would most likely not use them I feel like the community could cook up some challenges with them. This would depend on how they actually work though.

16 hours ago, mintietcatm said:

This omg!! I was 11 when i first encountered this game... to think its been 9 years! I honestly dont know how my life would be without tld 😅 

I was about 25 years old and in the middle of my university degree

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland
41 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Will the last part of the Tales also be the same as the others,as in you only need to have done  the first two once?

Yes, if you've already completed Signal Void and Buried Echoes, you can go straight to the new Tale.

• Upvote 6

Just now, Raphael van Lierop said:

Yes, if you've already completed Signal Void and Buried Echoes, you can go straight to the new Tale.

Thank you..  I can escape from the zone without finishing buried echoes again then...  If the glimmer fog ever goes away😁

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2