Screenshot for Screenshot Saturday

Ah my dear princess, my body is longing for your presence, but alas, woe unto us, we shall never meet for you have angered the gods of bleak inlet. One must never speak aloud of their holy streams of water, for it is frozen solid perpetually. Even the timberwolf is smiling upon your future demise as the weather shall turn sour against you on the lands of great bear... I am sorry....

Dr.Z, where did you capture such clear day? That cannot possibly be ash canyon? Perhaps hush river valley? Terrain looks much too treacherous for it to be other regions! Do tell, thank you!

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2021 at 6:41 PM, Stinky socks said:

Dr.Z, where did you capture such clear day? That cannot possibly be ash canyon? Perhaps hush river valley? Terrain looks much too treacherous for it to be other regions! Do tell, thank you!

It was a pleasant afternoon in HRV.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

@piddy3825, I feel like you need hot tomato soup and some fresh rosehip tea. That looks awful cold and uncomfortable. My Astrid feels sorry for your character. 🥫🍷

I was so cozy in my snow shelter... the reflective warmth of the fire had my feels like temp well over 40C, 
I was afraid my shelter would melt and then the cloths and sticks would catch on fire...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Crystal Lake at sunset

I'm up in Timberwolf. I started in DP, made arrows quick, booked out to CH, have hit a fair number of houses and gotten myself top tier clothing going on, then left there via cinder hills to PV and a straight shot up to the abandoned cache and the climb into TWM. Spent a night at mountaineer's, and crawled through echo ravine into ash canyon. Made angler's the first night by taking the finger canyon up, went up to the gold mine the next night, miner's folly the next after that, then down the front hill side to angler's and then up and around down to pillar's footrest and into the cave system down there, and came out at the Deer Clearing, where I spent a night:

screen_21a5ac57-0325-400a-8eea-061bb0873eed_hi.thumb.png.cdd2569b4d9bb62ce04359a314e2b003.png

Then I pushed on around and climbed the peak the next day. Spent an extra day up there because a blizzard blew up and it was too dangerous to travel.

So now I'm back at mountaineer's, have just killed a moose and a bear on the same day by the wing: 

screen_5029aedf-2a06-4032-89f8-be9d5aa682fb_hi.thumb.png.f9431781114b0284e5df3d8b845a7235.png

If I hadn't dropped him at the last second that would've been my second broken rib that day. Happily I dodged that bullet and now I'm set for a while. I've got well fed, technical backpack, crampons, and in a couple of weeks I'm going to have the satchel. Though I've got to admit part of me feels like I should go hammer my way over to HRV to get the moose satchel there, just because.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

@stratvox, you don't like to waste a lot of time. Fast traveler!

I'm sort of viewing it as a sort of challenge. I'm sort of making a custom difficulty that's like a cross between interloper and voyageur. In my head, I'm calling it "hunter" mode. I like having access to things like rifles and Cowichan sweaters and hatchets, but I also want intestinal parasites and interloper weather. I've also set animal detection of the player to maximum to make it harder to hunt. I've upped the animal's power to hurt me during melees, set wolf fear to max, and set both recovery settings to low. With these settings, it's taking four days to get back to max condition after a bear mauling, assuming nothing else goes wrong. Next time I iterate I'm going to start turning down the loot and maybe turning up the natural resources... but I'm going to get this guy pretty far in first because I want to see how the changes I've made affect the medium and late game; I'm just getting into the medium game now (I'm at a month in, he's wearing the bear coat from AC, waiting for a bear hide to cure at mountaineer's. I've got top notch clothing... I'm well set up. Now it's time to get the hunting relevant skills up. Deer are challenging when you're bow hunting and animal detection is set to max; you're a long way away from them when they start running.

I've got a moose hide curing, so the question is... do I wait? Do I make a bag and say to heck with HRV, or do I continue my run of grabbing the unique stuff right off the top? Do I make a moose cloak, and then head to HRV to grab the bag? Or should I go to HRV now and then come back to make the cloak? With the animal damage cranked, the moose cloak starts to look pretty good for its 25% armour value, and could be very handy to have in HRV. It's also day 35; with the cold settings that means I've got about another two weeks before it gets to the final temperature setting this guy's going to be living with for the long term; the cold is already cutting into the travel time of the day, so it's an open question as to which is better; get the moose cloak (its wind protection is also Top Shelf) then go to HRV or get that bag and come back before it gets harsher?

One of the things about this run is that there's voyageur levels of loot, i.e. a metric buttload. I've been almost entirely living on found food up to now, and I've no doubt that I can hammer my way through to HRV on the same basis (living on food found along the way). I came up ch -> cinder hills -> pv -> twm and would be going pv -> carter cave system -> wr -> ml -> mt -> hrv so the path is unlooted and I should have no problem finding food. Then again, that's just as true two weeks from now when I've got the cloak made and the coat I picked up in ac (yes, my outer coat is the bear coat; helps make the wolves less of a nuisance) repaired up to a decent level of condition.

Yeah, thinking on this, I've got lots of food here (a bear and a moose to cut up and transport to mountaineer's), and I'll be able to add a lot of insulation and armour value when this is all done. It makes sense to suit up before heading to HRV I think. I'll also be in a position to assess what it's like to travel in interloper cold in the best circumstances (which will be a first for me; the other times I've done it I was playing, you know, interloper, and stuff like cowichan sweaters and woollen long johns were just not available).

-- 

Heh, looking at this massive block of text... I guess the year of pandemic isolation's got me feeling voluble.

ETA: Oh yeah, that's right, I got stomped by a moose. This guy's definitely waiting before going to HRV for the satchel.

Edited by stratvox
belated revelation
  • Upvote 1

So, our pleasant valley adventures continue. After successful deep penetration into Ash Canyon, I didnt realize that I send all my prybars there for some ice fishing. Upon returning, oh hi little fella:)))

Screenshot_20210428-174738_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e6b982c4b6b7290ec8761e6324dd8d17.jpg

they 💝stinky. Anyways, where was I? Oh, yeah, so I had to do a round trip from Molly's farmhouse to community hall, because that's where my last drybar was. After retrieving her, I headed over to pensive lake through backcountry. 

There I met a wolf and after taunting me, I decided to fire at him. He charged and I missed. Chewed my meat and walked off after I whacked him with my hatchet. As he was running off, I knocked him down with a rifle. Being mad at him🙄I harvested 1 kilo of meat and dropped next to him. 

Proud of my achievement, took a photo and game crashed. Yeah😞

Fast forward, I am at pensive lake, making food.

Screenshot_20210428-174801_Gallery.thumb.jpg.205c2f978035ea42bdf7be924e9b1dea.jpg

now heading home, I decided to spare no wolf. They die from distance. I have enough ammo to feed them all, and besides, I'm heading to bleak inlet, where I can manufacture more where that came from.

At home, I realize I am out of wolf pelts, so I shoot two. Then third one as he's running away. It was a motion shot, like professionals do. Then one more barked from distance after I skinned them and I shoot that one as well when he's charging. 

Goid day. Ah, blood pressure going dwn.

Screenshot_20210428-174707_Gallery.thumb.jpg.23cf0712df64ad478577c9c36b8e4edf.jpg

well, then this happens.

Screenshot_20210428-174724_Gallery.thumb.jpg.73e4793c7c275ffc52acaf08607c9b43.jpg

Yeah, he wasn't too happy. Can you shoot through broken glass btw? Didnt know if there was invisi-barrier tech.

Screenshot_20210428-174717_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4af898a7880826bb710e786b29548fe4.jpg

I now have a lot of meat and a lot of skin.

• Upvote 3