When TLD bleeds into real life…

TiffTastic

I've been on a winter vacation in Northern Europe, and decided to cross a frozen lake on feet - as if it was the most normal thing to do.
On the other side, I was looking for a place to get on shore, as it started to get dark (it gets dark very early in the winter) and found this nice wooden peer - looking to be a perfect solution. As I was walking up on it, passing the house, I saw some lights inside.
The owner turned out to be less than enthusiastic about me walking through his property.
I could not fathom what his problem was...

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, AdamvR said:

I've been on a winter vacation in Northern Europe, and decided to cross a frozen lake on feet - as if it was the most normal thing to do.
On the other side, I was looking for a place to get on shore, as it started to get dark (it gets dark very early in the winter) and found this nice wooden peer - looking to be a perfect solution. As I was walking up on it, passing the house, I saw some lights inside.
The owner turned out to be less than enthusiastic about me walking through his property.
I could not fathom what his problem was...

Did you think “Its getting dark soon, time to look for shelter”?

😁

• Upvote 6

This habit predates TLD by about 30 years but it fits: I always carry a knife and a lighter any time I leave the house. I used to have a nice Zippo that disappeared on me at some point, but a cheap plastic Bic works just as well most of the time.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I can remember being out for a walk somewhere with a friend, and as we were heading home we walked down a long slope, and I caught myself thinking that this would give us a nice wee speed bump for a bit. Then I realised that I wasn't actually thinking about the real world. Oops.

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:21 PM, ajb1978 said:

This habit predates TLD by about 30 years but it fits: I always carry a knife and a lighter any time I leave the house. I used to have a nice Zippo that disappeared on me at some point, but a cheap plastic Bic works just as well most of the time.

I can relate… I always carry a fire striker, tinder, and a knife “just in case”.

• Upvote 2

Had a conversation with someone today about their holiday to Iceland. They told me about a place where you can walk and come across a wrecked plane and I immediately pictured one of the new crashed aircraft in TLD, thinking "oh is there one up there as well? I've not found that one yet." No, brain, they're talking about a real place!

I looked it up and it has a very TLD vibe, you have to admit:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/adventureblogbucket/assets/uploads/2017/09/22114607/Lenny-K-Photography-Solheimasandur-plane-wreck--1024x598.jpg
(photo by Marcus Holland-Moritz )

• Upvote 4
  • Like 7

@ajb1978 and @conanjaguar Me too.  For years I have had a leatherman multi tool on the left side of my belt, a sheath knife on the right, a note book, pencil, elastic and a lighter in my pockets.  My winter coat has an actual survival kit in the massive pockets.

That airplane picture is cool.

Even though I don't reload bullets I still collect brass 😅.

• Upvote 1

Too surreal, but this weather change IRL was more like weather in TLD:

In the evening it was a light blizzard.
In the morning the blizzard had stopped, it wasn't clear, but gray sky.
Before afternoon it cleared up, sun even came out, looked so cozy outside.
Then in like 20mins it was thick fog outside, visibility was less than 100m for sure. For me working on computer I had the effect like on one moment it is sunny and one glance later it is full fog mode 😅 All that was missing is some ominous ambient music.

• Upvote 2

It happened today as we walked in the forest nearby I usually roam, and know enough to get roughly where I am and where to go, even if not always the exact spot. I figured I’d like to go northward, and my first thought how to figure out where that is was ‘oh, I just need to drop a stick’… oh wait… A little  later I met a very inviting, straight birch branch on the ground I almost leaned down to pick up…

I might have overbinged TLD the last couple of days..;)

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Saw my English teacher throwing away newspaper and my brain was going “Noooo! I can use that for tinder!” 
Almost fished it out of the trash can ( I’m a loot goblin in both games and irl ) but instead I just asked If could take the remaining newspapers home.

Another thing I do that I saw somebody else comment on here is keeping a pocket knife one me at all times. Never know when it’ll come in handy. 

• Upvote 1