Legendary or rare animals?

survivor123

I would like to see rare or legendary animals added to survival mode. A scared bear, white wolf, red eyed rabbit, black deer. You could hunt them for a special pelt to craft a unique gear item or place thier trophy at your base for base customization. Each area could have a certain animal to find. The black deer at mystery lake etc.  Or you could  find books called "Legends of bear Island" that would show thier locations.

• Upvote 8

It's been mentioned once or twice in the past, including by me😊.  I'd love to find the ghost stag from story in survival...     Or a great black bear to hunt and stick on my wall..  

🤞

And welcome to the forum.😊

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 3

I made a post about this recently called 'Legendary Game Hunting' and support this idea fully. Personally, I would love it if the Old Bear was in survival mode, and why stop there? Spice up the mid to late game with around a dozen or so legendary creatures and fill Great Bear Island with these random and potentially deadly encounters. Hunt at your own risk! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Despite the "rares" already in Story and Challenges, what benefit would there be to have them in Survival (besides the challenge).  Personally, I would need a good reason to risk my life to hunt them, such as an Improved Bearskin Coat.

Head on the wall and a nice cosy rug on the floor........without mods😁

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Despite the "rares" already in Story and Challenges, what benefit would there be to have them in Survival (besides the challenge).  Personally, I would need a good reason to risk my life to hunt them, such as an Improved Bearskin Coat.

For the ghost stag, maybe a snow-camo cape or something that reduces visual detection range by critters?

• Upvote 2

On 8/5/2023 at 10:56 AM, Stranzua said:

I made a post about this recently called 'Legendary Game Hunting' and support this idea fully. Personally, I would love it if the Old Bear was in survival mode, and why stop there? Spice up the mid to late game with around a dozen or so legendary creatures and fill Great Bear Island with these random and potentially deadly encounters. Hunt at your own risk! 

Rabbit of Caerbannog - Wikipedia

Rabbit of Caerbannog from Monty Python and the Holy Grail maybe?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:06 AM, survivor123 said:

I would like to see rare or legendary animals added to survival mode. A scared bear, white wolf, red eyed rabbit, black deer. You could hunt them for a special pelt to craft a unique gear item or place thier trophy at your base for base customization. Each area could have a certain animal to find. The black deer at mystery lake etc.  Or you could  find books called "Legends of bear Island" that would show thier locations.

Thank you for your suggestion. We appreciate it! 

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2023 at 1:13 PM, Leeanda said:

It's been mentioned once or twice in the past, including by me😊.  I'd love to find the ghost stag from story in survival...     Or a great black bear to hunt and stick on my wall..  

🤞

And welcome to the forum.😊

*Shudders* you want the Old Bear hunting us in survival…are you nuts! 😜

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Enigmaecho said:

*Shudders* you want the Old Bear hunting us in survival…are you nuts! 😜

I'm on pilgrim so I should be the hunter😁.  Plus a rifle is much better than the spear...   But otherwise ..no way.i... I hated that bear stuff...

As for me being nuts...well that's a separate thing entirely😅

• Upvote 1

With Signal Void introducing more environmental storytelling into the survival sandbox than ever before, I would support the idea of the "Tall Tales" elements from Wintermute to crossover to Survival Mode.

Perhaps even more legends as well (as previously mentioned elsewhere in the thread)...

image.thumb.jpeg.9c49a77c248b91262bc3708e2cb6331b.jpeg

:coffee::fire::coffee:
[Addendum]
Though please... nothing actually "super-natural" 😋

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 4

I'd only be in favor of this if the legendary animals would be exceptionally rare to spawn.

I mean, 'survive 100 days and you'd be lucky if you saw one of them' levels of rare.

I think it would fit in if they gave the player a reaction like "Woah! It's the Ghost Stag!" every time you saw one, instead of "Okay, off to hunt the Ghost Stag.... Again".

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Feels very Red Dead Redemption 2 to me, which is not necessarily a good or bad thing as I generally enjoyed the hunting aspect of that game. I do agree that it should be rewarded accordingly with the additional challenge though, it’s been a bit since I played RDR2 but I recall not bothering with some Legendary animals as the only rewards were cosmetic items or gear that didn’t feel worth the time or effort. About halfway thru the game I did start to feel a bit exhausted by what began to feel like a collect-athon of various item types, and that was with the use of horseback, maps, and fast travel.  

If it weren’t for Rockstar’s strong storyline and characters, I probably would have abandoned RDR2 (as I’m not a completionist-style player), and TLD Survival Mode obviously doesn’t have the equivalents to offer. However, I’m sure Hinterland is aware of potential balancing risks, and if they decide to add the feature to Survival they’d put their own spin on it without adding ‘bloat’. 

On 8/18/2023 at 1:39 AM, cattailstalker said:

Legendary animals as the only rewards were cosmetic items or gear that didn’t feel worth the time or effort.

My recollection is that the legendary's drops actually are needed for some pretty good gear upgrades.

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

My recollection is that the legendary's drops actually are needed for some pretty good gear upgrades.

No, the gear upgrades were tied to the challenges. Legendary animals only gave clothing, except for technically the legendary panther, which was apart of the hunter challenges.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...