To Hinterland

Enigmaecho

My wish is that you don’t stop. I’ve been playing this game nearly a 1/3 of my life and that’s crazy to think about. I don’t think a player of the game feels the game couldn’t have been considered “complete” numerous times and yet you persist, with an enduring love and passion you continue to surprise us and while there is likely some desire for new projects internally I hope those are wants that don’t conflict with an ongoing development of the long dark. What the game is to me is something I’ve dreamed of since my young days of gaming, I’ve always wanted a game that kept growing and evolving  and by happenstance of the studio being built around its success the long dark is pretty close to just that. I’m no dev, I don’t know the first thing about programming, but to see a game on the scale of elder scrolls online(different everything under the hood I know)it gives me a hope that there aren’t technical limitations and that we could see the long dark continue to grow until the trans island line makes the full loop around the island, until we see what lies beyond bleak inlet and desolation point along costal highway, where the road heading out of Milton leads, what’s beyond the end of the road in pleasant valley and between Milton and keepers pass along the road we can see but not access, where is Rupert’s Landing and Port Mary. What’s on the other side of the island… I’m rambling, I just hope that tales is the beginning of a new chapter for the game and not the last fireworks before the finale, the new systems add so much and the implementation of the mystery and story to survival even more so. In closing wether it’s as old school “expansion packs” with the tales amount of content once a year or the same as the tales run throughout year I would happily pay either a yearly sub or a single price point per expansion to see the game continue long into the future, I’m sure I’m  not alone 

Edited by Enigmaecho
  • Upvote 15
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Enigmaecho said:

My wish is that you don’t stop.

I would like to second this. Thank you all you devs. You're likely overworked, and there are a lot of folks upset at recent bugs and whatnot. But I would also like to state that we're still playing the game, and we appreciate your bug squashing and angry-player tolerance.

• Upvote 6

Of course you are not alone! This game is so special and to see it grow through the years is wonderful. I personally wouldn't mind if a sort of definitive state arrives soon because it exceeded all my expectations a long time ago and I cannot ask for more. But if the studio decides to keep it as a side project while doing other things? With additional expansions like this one or maybe with smaller (and paid) updates every once in a while? Well, absolutely!

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, JohnLovesCoffee said:

Of course you are not alone! This game is so special and to see it grow through the years is wonderful. I personally wouldn't mind if a sort of definitive state arrives soon because it exceeded all my expectations a long time ago and I cannot ask for more. But if the studio decides to keep it as a side project while doing other things? With additional expansions like this one or maybe with smaller (and paid) updates every once in a while? Well, absolutely!

That’s not different than anything than your average studio Is my point though. I would rather the long dark be hinterlands primary focus and new projects be side projects for them to mix up their schedules and keep things fresh for the dev team but any game can hit an end point where the developers are ready to go for the next game but the players aren’t and I feel like I made a pretty good example with the state of the long dark, you could say it’s done we have a ton of regions and gear to fiddle with but on the flip there’s hundreds of miles of the island we haven’t seen or explored and that is where the split lies 

• Upvote 2

Thank you for your kind words and feedback! We are excited to continue our journey with THE LONG DARK, including the remaining updates for the Expansion Pass and the release of Episode Five. The future is bright! 

• Upvote 5
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

There really are limitless possibilities.  I'm just thinking about:

• Seasons!
  • Once the island is fully fleshed out, have a boat we can take to the mainland and go crazy from there!

That's  TLD 2😊

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dont hate me pls.

As much as i would want to see TLD grow beyond the TFTFT and ep 5 i think we are closing in on an ending here folks. The game is in development for many years now and i feel it all comes to conclusion. Hinterland did a great job producing a trully beautiful game with climate - one of my favorite games of all time. My nr 1 game for years now. I remember Raph saying something about moving to another project not so long ago and its not going to be TLD 2 (oh god how i would wish). We would all like to see TLD grow even further - i mean there are still a lot of stuff that can be added, so many great ideas from the community but they involve time and most of all money. I hope im wrong but i think that the expansion will be deployed fully by the end of the year and the next year will be for episode 5 wich will conclude and finish The Long Dark story and development. The studio will move to another title. 

On 8/23/2023 at 4:13 AM, James Hickok said:

Dont hate me pls.

As much as i would want to see TLD grow beyond the TFTFT and ep 5 i think we are closing in on an ending here folks. The game is in development for many years now and i feel it all comes to conclusion. Hinterland did a great job producing a trully beautiful game with climate - one of my favorite games of all time. My nr 1 game for years now. I remember Raph saying something about moving to another project not so long ago and its not going to be TLD 2 (oh god how i would wish). We would all like to see TLD grow even further - i mean there are still a lot of stuff that can be added, so many great ideas from the community but they involve time and most of all money. I hope im wrong but i think that the expansion will be deployed fully by the end of the year and the next year will be for episode 5 wich will conclude and finish The Long Dark story and development. The studio will move to another title. 

No hate, but two other games that this game can become like are Minecraft and No Man's Sky.

On 8/23/2023 at 2:13 AM, James Hickok said:

Dont hate me pls.

Knowing when to stop seems to be becoming a lost art. I hope they do stop and work on their next game. They can patch this game up and have it in a good state and just be done instead of pulling a paradox and DLCing it until it's unplayable. Besides, if they can get a nice fresh start on a new game there is a chance they can solve the issues that exist with this game. Hinterland obviously has great atmosphere ability which is a big plus and hopefully their new game does that well again while also being stronger in their weak areas.

Anyways I am certainly looking forward to playing this game. I will likely wait a bit after the release of episode 5 so I can play it in a patched form for the best experience.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I feel like "Please don't ever end it!"

But I also feel the thing of like, what if it's ruined?

I know there's time capsule, but what if it just kept going and buying the whole game was like, a 100$ and it was even more overwhelming for new players.

What if it became like spongebob where the creator is dead, but they keep going.  At that point it's just beating a dead horse.  Stop at season four spongebob!

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but microsoft ruined the feel of minecraft.  I still play 1.8.9 because that's the last version that Notch actually made.

Idk, this game is awesome though, just don't keep juicing it even once you're out of ambition and ideas.  (but not yet!)

I hear the argument to know when to fold them and i don't dispute that, I do however strongly feel this is not the time to fold em, The Long Dark was and remains wildly successful because it fills a niche a very specific niche in the survival game genre and so it doesn't matter what their next project is because a void will be left for everyone in the niche. Besides that, i don't see validity to the fears the game would become too unwieldy there is no lack of desire to push deeper into the island, no lack of curiosity to what happened to the island both in Wintermute events and survival timeline, the way they portrayed Tales from the Far Territories was it was the beginning of dlc content not the one and only drop, closing it out after this run leave so many roads, paths, railways left to map and explore, so many unsolved stories and lore bits, a ton of new equipment, collectibles, system upgrades, mechanic upgrades, new systems implemented, npcs in survival after a decade, all to just end it next year? to me that just doesn't make sense, it doesn't sit right, especially not after driving home how Hinterland lives and breathes because of The Long Dark, I'm all for them taking on new projects to grow, but The Long Dark is their Magnum Opus they should see all of Great Bear mapped and its stories told. Tales should've been a new beginning for the game not its grand Finale 

• Upvote 1