Survivor talk, might have spoilers.

FaT McMarlin

21 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Sorry, I really thought I'd replied. I'm really interested in the name of said cliff. Lol

HRV is like BRP. Fun for a little, dangerous as can be, know a little of how to get around, mostly lost but still we go lol. From my understanding HRV takes a special survivor to enjoy all the time. And those survivors are really a sight to behold.

Water is always the first to go. Take one bottle and I'll make more as needed, or I stop at the mini bases and have a sip. Charcoal is second. Followed by Marine flares, only good in an extreme pinch. I feel like I've spent the majority of this run hauling things back to my display in PV. Soon enough I'm going to need to create another display for everything.

It's easy to forget when you just drop things. If I'm using something temporarily, I'll leave it where I'm at when it's used up. I never pick up my torches, leave them at guides and markers of where I've been. 

I don't think it has one..... I just follow the path to the right ,over the tree bridges and go right again until I figure it's high enough..drop everything. ...then ...wheeeeeeee😅.  

I think as much as BlackRock looks confusing ,it's really not..there are plenty of landmarks to guide you.but. it does take a while to figure out.

Hrv has nothing but trees,cliffs and lumps and bumps.   You do have the signal fires but you hvea to work out how to get there in the first place..  you can't really use the waterfalls either just because there's so many of them..    

Obviously I'm biased😁.  But I'd rather take on loper in BlackRock than pilgrim in hrv.

At least pv is pretty central so you don't need to lug everything across all the maps, though it might feel like it sometimes...  Even my cupboards are full up ,downstairs and the basement ..   i think I have one locker half empty in the basement, and I realised this morning that I searched quite a few places before the new food was added so I'm going to have to search everywhere again.   

I did lose some stuff though when I put it in the cupboard so I'll have to watch the condition of things before I move them..  

It's very easy to forget where you left things,so you're not alone...  A lot of people use the notes pages but I know it's bugged at the moment..  

I usually jot down the day I killed a moose or bear so I can check when it's due back .  Can't this run so I'm winging it,so to speak.. 

Edited by Leeanda

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I don't think it has one..... I just follow the path to the right ,over the tree bridges and go right again until I figure it's high enough..drop everything. ...then ...wheeeeeeee😅.  

I think as much as BlackRock looks confusing ,it's really not..there are plenty of landmarks to guide you.but. it does take a while to figure out.

Hrv has nothing but trees,cliffs and lumps and bumps.   You do have the signal fires but you hvea to work out how to get there in the first place..  you can't really use the waterfalls either just because there's so many of them..    

Obviously I'm biased😁.  But I'd rather take on loper in BlackRock than pilgrim in hrv.

At least pv is pretty central so you don't need to lug everything across all the maps, though it might feel like it sometimes...  Even my cupboards are full up ,downstairs and the basement ..   i think I have one locker half empty in the basement, and I realised this morning that I searched quite a few places before the new food was added so I'm going to have to search everywhere again.   

I did lose some stuff though when I put it in the cupboard so I'll have to watch the condition of things before I move them..  

It's very easy to forget where you left things,so you're not alone...  A lot of people use the notes pages but I know it's bugged at the moment..  

I usually jot down the day I killed a moose or bear so I can check when it's due back .  Can't this run so I'm winging it,so to speak.. 

I've been very nomadic this run and haven't had to question weather animals have spawned. But my last run I would track the bear at PV.

I take notes occasionally on things I've left but I'm forgetful of it. 

That's the best part of PV as a main base. Location is prime. Weather sucks but there's so many other things to do in other regions, I miss all the lovely weather there lol. I keep piles of things vs using containers. I find it easier to view what's there.

14 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I've been very nomadic this run and haven't had to question weather animals have spawned. But my last run I would track the bear at PV.

I take notes occasionally on things I've left but I'm forgetful of it. 

That's the best part of PV as a main base. Location is prime. Weather sucks but there's so many other things to do in other regions, I miss all the lovely weather there lol. I keep piles of things vs using containers. I find it easier to view what's there.

I think that bear has been bugged for quite some time...   In this run alone I've had him flying into space, glitching through the porch windows ,been able to walk through it, disappearing tracks and blood, and teleportation..   certainly keeps things interesting😁.  

You're not having issues with the notes/journals then?   

It is lovely weather isn't it😅.     Some acorns and trees would be nice  though.

I suppose that makes sense but dont you run out of space?  I know it's a big house but some things are pretty big.

34 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I think that bear has been bugged for quite some time...   In this run alone I've had him flying into space, glitching through the porch windows ,been able to walk through it, disappearing tracks and blood, and teleportation..   certainly keeps things interesting😁.  

You're not having issues with the notes/journals then?   

It is lovely weather isn't it😅.     Some acorns and trees would be nice  though.

I suppose that makes sense but dont you run out of space?  I know it's a big house but some things are pretty big.

I don't know about in game notes. I play on Xbox and taking notes in game is way too time consuming without a keyboard, so I use my phone for notes. 

I really haven't had many bears glitch on me. Had one act like a TW after I shot him in the face 3 to 4 times and it just stood outside the car I dipped into when he wasn't dying.

Not really, craft items are kept in the basement, food is kept outside, drinks in the kitchen, random things in the living room with fire place. Displayed items in the front entrance. 

The best weather ever lol no m matter what, it's still better weather than FA lol

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I need to find the hunter revolver, and 2 rifle variants, I've got Vaughn's. I got lucky and had 2 maybe 3 hunters cache spawn for me. Just went and checked one in HRV. Going to CH for a loop around there, then I'll go to  BRP and then to AC to check the bunkers for the hunters revolver. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I don't know about in game notes. I play on Xbox and taking notes in game is way too time consuming without a keyboard, so I use my phone for notes. 

I really haven't had many bears glitch on me. Had one act like a TW after I shot him in the face 3 to 4 times and it just stood outside the car I dipped into when he wasn't dying.

Not really, craft items are kept in the basement, food is kept outside, drinks in the kitchen, random things in the living room with fire place. Displayed items in the front entrance. 

The best weather ever lol no m matter what, it's still better weather than FA lol

I play on Xbox too.  The keyboard doesn't appear so notes etc aren't an option at the moment. I don't really make notes just things like farm bear or pensive moose on that days diary page.   Then it's just a case of going on the day pages and looking for the bullet/pen  marker (or whatever it is😁) in the corner.  

Sounds more organised than my cupboards lol..    

I haven't been there for more than a few in game hours but if it's as bad as transfer pass then  I'm not surprised. .I'd take pv any day😁

38 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I play on Xbox too.  The keyboard doesn't appear so notes etc aren't an option at the moment. I don't really make notes just things like farm bear or pensive moose on that days diary page.   Then it's just a case of going on the day pages and looking for the bullet/pen  marker (or whatever it is😁) in the corner.  

Sounds more organised than my cupboards lol..    

I haven't been there for more than a few in game hours but if it's as bad as transfer pass then  I'm not surprised. .I'd take pv any day😁

I meant an actual keyboard you'd plug in. I haven't even looked at the note section since I picked up the game. To lazy to use the controller for typing lol

I try to be, it may be piles of crap to others, but it makes since to me. Just stand and drop. No matter what it is, or concern for time cured. Little things that's are easily lost get tossed in cabinets but it's all separated. Arrows, clothes, tools ECT. 

In my experience with FA the wind and cold are the worse offenders. Blizzards seem on par with PV frequency and duration. But it's always windy and cold. Even on Voyager there's hardly a time of day your warm. It's a cool place to explore, but I wouldn't go without some prepping. Even then it's so far out of the way it's hard to find a good reason to go. You've got to want to just explore for exploring sake.

14 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I meant an actual keyboard you'd plug in. I haven't even looked at the note section since I picked up the game. To lazy to use the controller for typing lol

I try to be, it may be piles of crap to others, but it makes since to me. Just stand and drop. No matter what it is, or concern for time cured. Little things that's are easily lost get tossed in cabinets but it's all separated. Arrows, clothes, tools ECT. 

In my experience with FA the wind and cold are the worse offenders. Blizzards seem on par with PV frequency and duration. But it's always windy and cold. Even on Voyager there's hardly a time of day your warm. It's a cool place to explore, but I wouldn't go without some prepping. Even then it's so far out of the way it's hard to find a good reason to go. You've got to want to just explore for exploring sake.

Lol.  Typing with the controller is so slow...    

I used to be a typist actually but on anything that uses an actual keyboard these days I have to do the old one finger typing... Nails like Freddy Krueger and on a pc I'm scared I'll wipe everything off it😁

I remember  once trying to see how many sticks a locker would take  ,turns out about 200 if I remember correctly ..  I got bored one day😁  

Doesn't sound disorganised to me, makes more sense than my storage habits. 

Urgh,wind....  I'm glad I turned the variability down , especially if it's that bad there.. 

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Lol.  Typing with the controller is so slow...    

I used to be a typist actually but on anything that uses an actual keyboard these days I have to do the old one finger typing... Nails like Freddy Krueger and on a pc I'm scared I'll wipe everything off it😁

I remember  once trying to see how many sticks a locker would take  ,turns out about 200 if I remember correctly ..  I got bored one day😁  

Doesn't sound disorganised to me, makes more sense than my storage habits. 

Urgh,wind....  I'm glad I turned the variability down , especially if it's that bad there.. 

I've got a laptop, but it's basically a glorified mail center 😂😂😂😂😂 whatever works for you lol Freddy nails might help against the wolves.

Lol that's allot of sticks. Don't even think I've had more than 50 at once on me lol

I get bored and walked the rail line from CH all the way through to the FBL. The wind, I think, balances the map for Voyager. Not as many wolves as I thought there would be so it's more about not being detected and taking the longer route. Plus the bears are nicely placed and if you do get detected at distance, you can get to the bears territory and force them to leave if you don't want to spend a flare or need to. The weather feels like the main villain in FA. I think I've spent 12 to 15 days in FA if I recall correctly.

Edited by FaT McMarlin
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I've got a laptop, but it's basically a glorified mail center 😂😂😂😂😂 whatever works for you lol Freddy nails might help against the wolves.

Lol that's allot of sticks. Don't even think I've had more than 50 at once on me lol

I get bored and walked the rail line from CH all the way through to the FBL. I think it balances the map for Voyager. Not as many wolves as I thought there would be so it's more about not being detected and taking the longer route. Plus the bears are nicely placed and if you do get detected at distance, you can get to the bears territory and force them to leave if you don't want to spend a flare or need to. The weather feels like the main villain in FA. I think I've spent 12 to 15 days in FA if I recall correctly.

Lol. 😁

I'm a huge fan of wolves so I have a house full of stuff ,but I wouldn't use my claws on them😁. The nearest real ones are probably a few hundred miles away in zoos.  

Plenty of crows around here though, and boy are they noisy😀  

It took a while to get those sticks, but even I struggled to carry more than about 70 at a time. Not with all the other things I drag around.

Avoid and evade is a good tactic, and that is a very long walk ...   

How do you get a bear to leave anywhere without shooting it?  

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Lol. 😁

I'm a huge fan of wolves so I have a house full of stuff ,but I wouldn't use my claws on them😁. The nearest real ones are probably a few hundred miles away in zoos.  

Plenty of crows around here though, and boy are they noisy😀  

It took a while to get those sticks, but even I struggled to carry more than about 70 at a time. Not with all the other things I drag around.

Avoid and evade is a good tactic, and that is a very long walk ...   

How do you get a bear to leave anywhere without shooting it?  

I'd love to go see wolves in real life, in the wild. They really don't mess with humans unless they are incredibly desperate or rabid. Videos of them chasing prey as a team are beautiful for the red tooth and claw of nature.

It's a very long walk and worth it if you've got the time for nothing.

I kite bears with a minimum of two scent lines and a very nerve wreaking walk to where ever I'm planning on harvesting. Dangerous as it gets, but it's effective. For wolves that are stalking you, just head into bear territory and towards the bear. It's not long into the bears path before the wolf will leave and then you're just dealing with a slow moving bear.

I live next to a small flood zone and I get more buzzards than anything. 

7 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I'd love to go see wolves in real life, in the wild. They really don't mess with humans unless they are incredibly desperate or rabid. Videos of them chasing prey as a team are beautiful for the red tooth and claw of nature.

It's a very long walk and worth it if you've got the time for nothing.

I kite bears with a minimum of two scent lines and a very nerve wreaking walk to where ever I'm planning on harvesting. Dangerous as it gets, but it's effective. For wolves that are stalking you, just head into bear territory and towards the bear. It's not long into the bears path before the wolf will leave and then you're just dealing with a slow moving bear.

I live next to a small flood zone and I get more buzzards than anything. 

So would I.  They are beautiful animals.   

I've got plenty of time and if the settings right it's nice to just wander around and enjoy the views.

You do like it dangerous don't you😁.     I hate bear attacks which is one of the reasons I'm on pilgrim.. but they don't walk slowly towards you on it. They either run away or run at you ,very very fast.... 😁.  There's no in-between.  

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

So would I.  They are beautiful animals.   

I've got plenty of time and if the settings right it's nice to just wander around and enjoy the views.

You do like it dangerous don't you😁.     I hate bear attacks which is one of the reasons I'm on pilgrim.. but they don't walk slowly towards you on it. They either run away or run at you ,very very fast.... 😁.  There's no in-between.  

I love it lol but it's only dangerous if you get to close the bear and traveling to the bear. Wolves no matter what you smell like will run from the bear.

Dispite my affinity for bear encounters, day 225 or there about this run, I've killed 19 or 20 and I've never been mauled. I'm pretty damn good at ambushing them with head shots. One of these days a bear will get the best of me and revenge for all bear kind. I don't even wear the bear coat normally. Just eat them.

7 wolf struggles and won them all, dispatched just over 100 wolves. 

Only killed 2 moose  cause I needed the hide and I was desperate for a large source of food in Milton, still have some of the meat there waiting lol.

It may have changed in the Milton basin the other day, but I had more bear kills than deer, I still might but I'll have to check.

2 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I love it lol but it's only dangerous if you get to close the bear and traveling to the bear. Wolves no matter what you smell like will run from the bear.

Dispite my affinity for bear encounters, day 225 or there about this run, I've killed 19 or 20 and I've never been mauled. I'm pretty damn good at ambushing them with head shots. One of these days a bear will get the best of me and revenge for all bear kind. I don't even wear the bear coat normally. Just eat them.

7 wolf struggles and won them all, dispatched just over 100 wolves. 

Only killed 2 moose  cause I needed the hide and I was desperate for a large source of food in Milton, still have some of the meat there waiting lol.

It may have changed in the Milton basin the other day, but I had more bear kills than deer, I still might but I'll have to check.

I've killed about the same for bears but most have been flare gun.... The last rifle shots are the one where I nearly got mauled when it glitches through the porch...    Moose ,only about 12 I think. Which is low for me but they've been rather elusive lately..  lonely meadow in mystery has  a ton of meat piled outside😁. Wolves are about the same amount but I don't really kill them unless I need a hide .. except in bleak because of that annoying yapping all night..   

You've been incredibly lucky not to get mauled .    But this game does like to throw surprises at you..

7 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've killed about the same for bears but most have been flare gun.... The last rifle shots are the one where I nearly got mauled when it glitches through the porch...    Moose ,only about 12 I think. Which is low for me but they've been rather elusive lately..  lonely meadow in mystery has  a ton of meat piled outside😁. Wolves are about the same amount but I don't really kill them unless I need a hide .. except in bleak because of that annoying yapping all night..   

You've been incredibly lucky not to get mauled .    But this game does like to throw surprises at you..

I've only had to flare gun one and I believe that was CH on the winding roads. Popped 4 or 5 with it that were being stubborn and not dying fast enough.

If the wolves just left me alone they could get super fat and happy and live long lives until I needed a new pelt for my repairs. I'd run deer their way and "feed" them. But they wake up and choose violence.

I don't really spend time in ML. It's a big transfer region for me, I have no idea where that meadow is!!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I've only had to flare gun one and I believe that was CH on the winding roads. Popped 4 or 5 with it that were being stubborn and not dying fast enough.

If the wolves just left me alone they could get super fat and happy and live long lives until I needed a new pelt for my repairs. I'd run deer their way and "feed" them. But they wake up and choose violence.

I don't really spend time in ML. It's a big transfer region for me, I have no idea where that meadow is!!

They can take a while to die can't they...  I feel like that sometimes,and use a lot of ammo doing so😁 

Lol.  I don't think they're going to make it that easy..   and I find herding deer almost impossible.they run wherever they feel like it... Bunnies though are very easy. 

Do you know unnamed pond?   It's between there and clear cut.  It's not the official name for it but it's been given it by a few of us. It's one of my more regular and reliable moose spawn areas.

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

They can take a while to die can't they...  I feel like that sometimes,and use a lot of ammo doing so😁 

Lol.  I don't think they're going to make it that easy..   and I find herding deer almost impossible.they run wherever they feel like it... Bunnies though are very easy. 

Do you know unnamed pond?   It's between there and clear cut.  It's not the official name for it but it's been given it by a few of us. It's one of my more regular and reliable moose spawn areas.

Some die so fast though. One or two shots. Others have a gazillion arrows in them and they just won't go down.

Deer do run dumb ways. But on occasion they go where you want and distract an unseen wolf.

I kinda know what you're talking about. My next trip through the region will take me exploring. I need to anyway. I don't spend that much time there at all.

5 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Some die so fast though. One or two shots. Others have a gazillion arrows in them and they just won't go down.

Deer do run dumb ways. But on occasion they go where you want and distract an unseen wolf.

I kinda know what you're talking about. My next trip through the region will take me exploring. I need to anyway. I don't spend that much time there at all.

I suppose it does seem a small place compared to some areas but I find it quite cosy...  And for those who've played since day one it's probably given them some very fond memories. I can't imagine having just the one region though..

15 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I suppose it does seem a small place compared to some areas but I find it quite cosy...  And for those who've played since day one it's probably given them some very fond memories. I can't imagine having just the one region though..

Having played less than a year, I can't imagine this game without the entire island. I remember when they announced the expansion I laughed to myself thinking I'd never learn the island lol. Just so much to learn. I can appreciate having played for so long that you got to explore the island as it was introduce. That's a different level of knowledge.  It's cozy, but it's not remote and cozy like AC. One of these days I'm going to pack up and move there lol. Stock out the bunker as a trophy room. Line the floors with bear hide. Walk around bare foot.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Having played less than a year, I can't imagine this game without the entire island. I remember when they announced the expansion I laughed to myself thinking I'd never learn the island lol. Just so much to learn. I can appreciate having played for so long that you got to explore the island as it was introduce. That's a different level of knowledge.  It's cozy, but it's not remote and cozy like AC. One of these days I'm going to pack up and move there lol. Stock out the bunker as a trophy room. Line the floors with bear hide. Walk around bare foot.

I've only been playing about three years but I've watched a few videos .boy! s it different.   I doubt I would've played it then as the urge to roam is pretty strong.. 

And going in that dam when the wolf was still living there....   I'd rather not...seriously creepy😁 

It'll take some time to learn the maps ,I'm still learning,even the ones I thought I knew well..

I think the real test is finding where you want to go in a blizzard and not getting lost.. if you can do that then you're pretty much set.

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've only been playing about three years but I've watched a few videos .boy! s it different.   I doubt I would've played it then as the urge to roam is pretty strong.. 

And going in that dam when the wolf was still living there....   I'd rather not...seriously creepy😁 

It'll take some time to learn the maps ,I'm still learning,even the ones I thought I knew well..

I think the real test is finding where you want to go in a blizzard and not getting lost.. if you can do that then you're pretty much set.

I saw a clip from the first build of the game when you searched a stick for a chance at a stick. 

I wish fluffy was still in the dam. Kinda wish there were more wolves that were in larger buildings.  If the time capsule was available for Xbox, I'd defiantly give some of the older builds a good ol try.

I can run through PV in a blizzard. I had the story bug where the final call from Molly wouldn't come through, but the blizzard would. Spent quite a bit of time running around PV attempting to figure out what I didn't do to advance the story. Turns out it was a bug. But if a storm is rolling through PV, unless I need to save clothing condition, I get running. Even though it's dangerous to do if you get lost , I've got PV somewhat in the bag.

I want to learn at the very least TWM, AC, BRP and CH like I know PV. I spend allot of time on that side of the map. Just wish there was a forge in AC somewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I saw a clip from the first build of the game when you searched a stick for a chance at a stick. 

I wish fluffy was still in the dam. Kinda wish there were more wolves that were in larger buildings.  If the time capsule was available for Xbox, I'd defiantly give some of the older builds a good ol try.

I can run through PV in a blizzard. I had the story bug where the final call from Molly wouldn't come through, but the blizzard would. Spent quite a bit of time running around PV attempting to figure out what I didn't do to advance the story. Turns out it was a bug. But if a storm is rolling through PV, unless I need to save clothing condition, I get running. Even though it's dangerous to do if you get lost , I've got PV somewhat in the bag.

I want to learn at the very least TWM, AC, BRP and CH like I know PV. I spend allot of time on that side of the map. Just wish there was a forge in AC somewhere.

Lol..    I think the average lifespan was about three days then😁.    The time capsule would be great for consoles... 

I had a permanent blizzard in episode three so had no choice😁.   But there aren't really any dangerous drops in pv like there is in ash or twm...   But running across those wide open fields can get a bit disorientating  sometimes.   I spent some time hiding under the bridges for my blizzard badge.

49 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Lol..    I think the average lifespan was about three days then😁.    The time capsule would be great for consoles... 

I had a permanent blizzard in episode three so had no choice😁.   But there aren't really any dangerous drops in pv like there is in ash or twm...   But running across those wide open fields can get a bit disorientating  sometimes.   I spent some time hiding under the bridges for my blizzard badge.

Lol I don't remember what I did for the badge. Probably just ran through the storms lol

3 days seems super short but with no experience with the limited regional access, that may have been a really long time. No way to forge or hunt. That had to be scary as it gets.

1 minute ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Lol I don't remember what I did for the badge. Probably just ran through the storms lol

3 days seems super short but with no experience with the limited regional access, that may have been a really long time. No way to forge or hunt. That had to be scary as it gets.

That work just as well, aside from the clothing damage it gives . But it will level up sewing quicker😊 

It looked scary...  Everything seems to have changed so much from what I've seen.   I'd really like to have tried it back then.