Survivor talk, might have spoilers.

FaT McMarlin

@Leeanda I like the bigger regions because it takes planning to things. I feel like I'm ML or Milton you have so little space to travel, that a simple trip to a forge doesn't take any time. I like needing to plan a few week excursion just to get stocked. I've also gone from Black Rock to Bleak Inlet all the way out to the Mindful Cabin in FA in a few weeks time in game. And I'm no where near ready to head home to PV. Just seeing what's out there for giggles. I've got no mission in mind. Just face whatever I come across.

Edited by FaT McMarlin
I can't proof read lol
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

@Leeanda I like the bigger regions because it takes planning to things. I feel like I'm ML or Milton you have so little space to travel, that a simple trip to a forge doesn't take any time. I like needing to plan a few week excursion just to get stocked. I've also gone from Black Rock to Bleak Inlet all the way out to the Mindful Cabin in FA in a few weeks time in game. And I'm no where near ready to head home to PV. Just seeing what's out there for giggles. I've got no mission in mind. Just face whatever I come across.

I can understand that..   I'm kind of a go where the mood takes me kind of person..  I do plan sometimes and mostly I stick to it,depending on weather usually..   

But it is nice to just wander round the fields in pv on a nice clear day ,no goals in mind and enjoying the scenery...    My only goal left in pv is to kill the moose with the bow. Something I've only managed to try once on this run.. elusive isn't the word😁

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I can understand that..   I'm kind of a go where the mood takes me kind of person..  I do plan sometimes and mostly I stick to it,depending on weather usually..   

But it is nice to just wander round the fields in pv on a nice clear day ,no goals in mind and enjoying the scenery...    My only goal left in pv is to kill the moose with the bow. Something I've only managed to try once on this run.. elusive isn't the word😁

Right now my "goal" is to convince the bear in FA to come out and play my favorite game "feed the survivor". But in a weird twist of imagination I might restock my arrows and start a hazardous feat of killing a bear in every region. Just to see how long it takes me to travel to every region and hunt one down. But I'll get to go back to BRP and hopefully record the radio hut battle with the TW packs that like to be so angry over nothing lol. 

Wandering is the best goal in game. Even if I've looked at the same fields hundreds of times, the sky is never the same. The art in this game is beautiful.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Right now my "goal" is to convince the bear in FA to come out and play my favorite game "feed the survivor". But in a weird twist of imagination I might restock my arrows and start a hazardous feat of killing a bear in every region. Just to see how long it takes me to travel to every region and hunt one down. But I'll get to go back to BRP and hopefully record the radio hut battle with the TW packs that like to be so angry over nothing lol. 

Wandering is the best goal in game. Even if I've looked at the same fields hundreds of times, the sky is never the same. The art in this game is beautiful.

As long as the bear doesn't see himself as the survivor. 😁.    It might've been easier when he was stuck on the rock bugging out..   it's amazing how many people just walked right past it into his cave without seeing it.    But if you do try the challenge I wish you luck..    they can be rather elusive on pilgrim but I doubt you'll have that problem..  it'll take it out on the arrows though.   

I'm way behind on my usual tally ,only 19 so far., But I've had a lot of blizzards . Luckily the pv farm bear respawns very quickly. Sometimes it's two days ,at most a week.. .

You right about the art, it's just breathtaking . I spend a lot of time just standing there watching the horizon or the bunnies scampering around.. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

As long as the bear doesn't see himself as the survivor. 😁.    It might've been easier when he was stuck on the rock bugging out..   it's amazing how many people just walked right past it into his cave without seeing it.    But if you do try the challenge I wish you luck..    they can be rather elusive on pilgrim but I doubt you'll have that problem..  it'll take it out on the arrows though.   

I'm way behind on my usual tally ,only 19 so far., But I've had a lot of blizzards . Luckily the pv farm bear respawns very quickly. Sometimes it's two days ,at most a week.. .

You right about the art, it's just breathtaking . I spend a lot of time just standing there watching the horizon or the bunnies scampering around.. 

I think the bears do see themselves as the top wild predator.... But I'm the apex predator of GBI. Only creatures I hunt for sport in game are the bears. Deer, rabbits and moose are overlooked unless I need the hide. I treat the wolf population with indifference. They leave me alone, I'll leave them alone. Hell I'll even chase deers into the wolves just so I don't have to deal with them lol. Let them get nice and full of deer.  They waste time more than any other resource.

Tom the PV farm bear seems slightly broken. Kill, harvest, blizzard, repeat. It's like clock work. At least in this run, I get a blizzard rolling in almost as soon as he falls over dead. 

Sun rise over FA at the Mindful Cabin. Such a beautiful view.

e2bd030d-e511-45af-904f-4d834b77c1e5.png

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I think the bears do see themselves as the top wild predator.... But I'm the apex predator of GBI. Only creatures I hunt for sport in game are the bears. Deer, rabbits and moose are overlooked unless I need the hide. I treat the wolf population with indifference. They leave me alone, I'll leave them alone. Hell I'll even chase deers into the wolves just so I don't have to deal with them lol. Let them get nice and full of deer.  They waste time more than any other resource.

Tom the PV farm bear seems slightly broken. Kill, harvest, blizzard, repeat. It's like clock work. At least in this run, I get a blizzard rolling in almost as soon as he falls over dead. 

Sun rise over FA at the Mindful Cabin. Such a beautiful view.

e2bd030d-e511-45af-904f-4d834b77c1e5.png

Bear and moose are fair game in my runs...  Wolf's and rabbits for hides only .or desperation .. I just won't bother with deer at all because I never get a one shot and it's a waste of ammo.  

Yep, he's definitely the most bugged bear in the game.. and the weather always goes south when I kill and start harvesting them... Typical 😁

That is a beautiful view...  Hopefully I'll get to see it first hand one day...  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Bear and moose are fair game in my runs...  Wolf's and rabbits for hides only .or desperation .. I just won't bother with deer at all because I never get a one shot and it's a waste of ammo.  

Yep, he's definitely the most bugged bear in the game.. and the weather always goes south when I kill and start harvesting them... Typical 😁

That is a beautiful view...  Hopefully I'll get to see it first hand one day...  

I'd love to visit Victoria Island, supposedly where Hinterland is located. If that is a true fact, I'm too lazy to Google it, the place must be gorgeous beyond words. Has to be apart of the inspiration. 

I like to leave the moose for emergency food. They always are there in the same spots and they carry so much meat I don't want to carelessly eat them. I've got to be desperately starving or in real danger of it. I don't like hunting deer. If you don't get a insta kill they seem to run directly towards the nearest pack of Wolves. In their last moment they give you the middle finger and laugh their last breaths away.  "Go ahead try and carve me up. You're going to be very popular soon".

• Upvote 2

I'd love to visit Victoria Island, supposedly where Hinterland is located. If that is a true fact, I'm too lazy to Google it, the place must be gorgeous beyond words. Has to be apart of the inspiration. 

I like to leave the moose for emergency food. They always are there in the same spots and they carry so much meat I don't want to carelessly eat them. I've got to be desperately starving or in real danger of it. I don't like hunting deer. If you don't get a insta kill they seem to run directly towards the nearest pack of Wolves. In their last moment they give you the middle finger and laugh their last breaths away.  "Go ahead try and carve me up. You're going to be very popular soon".

I've never seen anything but beautiful pictures of Canada..  maybe htl want to keep it secret,I don't blame them😁.    

The moose is really half wasted because  of the lack of continuous  need for the hide..  I don't think many wear the cloak and the satchel uses leather to fix. . It is nice to have a pile of meat there when you need it though. 

The only deer meat I have is from wolf kills I stole... Oh and one from when I needed one more shot to get level 5 archery.. there was nothing else around for miles, as it most usually is at pv farm.. 

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I've never seen anything but beautiful pictures of Canada..  maybe htl want to keep it secret,I don't blame them😁.    

The moose is really half wasted because  of the lack of continuous  need for the hide..  I don't think many wear the cloak and the satchel uses leather to fix. . It is nice to have a pile of meat there when you need it though. 

The only deer meat I have is from wolf kills I stole... Oh and one from when I needed one more shot to get level 5 archery.. there was nothing else around for miles, as it most usually is at pv farm.. 

I hunt them deer only for the pelt. I'd rather spend the condition damage to my equipment on meat that's going to last longer than a day.  Like the ptarmigan, they aren't worth hunting. No meat worth harvesting, no use for the feathers. 

I don't HTL keeps it a secret, I'm just lazy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I hunt them deer only for the pelt. I'd rather spend the condition damage to my equipment on meat that's going to last longer than a day.  Like the ptarmigan, they aren't worth hunting.

Really? That’s much my attitude towards rabbits… but deer can be a reliable and very cheap food source once you master the Hotzn Way (getting a wolf to kill the deer for you).

(Hope you don’t mind my butting in ;))

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Really? That’s much my attitude towards rabbits… but deer can be a reliable and very cheap food source once you master the Hotzn Way (getting a wolf to kill the deer for you).

(Hope you don’t mind my butting in ;))

Nah you're not butting in, your just joining the discussion. Everyone is welcome here. If we don't share how we survive, we may never give ideas to others or use the tactics offered up by others. 

I'll let the wolf hunt them down, but I let them eat. I'll grab the pelt after. Plus it's take hard to lure a deer to a optimal location. Walk around with fresh guts and the bears will follow you anywhere lol

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't have thought you really need the deerskin pants on voyager?  I presumed the loot was the same as pilgrim.. And there's a free pair in a memento cache.    It is easier to let the wolves do the work though,as @conanjaguar said. 

I haven't even got any ptarmigans ,until the fix anyway.. but I did see a video and they take a long time for very little amounts of feathers.  

I was kidding about their secret base😁.    It'd be cool to have a bat cave to work in though.

• Upvote 1

I'll let the wolf hunt them down, but I let them eat. I'll grab the pelt after.

I’m afraid I don’t quite understand your reasoning… a full deer (if it’s a stag) can have up to 12 kg of meat… at least 3-4 days worth of food even if you don’t starve yourself, and up to two weeks if you do starve yourself.

Plus it's take hard to lure a deer to a optimal location.

Definitely, but there is another way…

1. Alert a wolf and get it to stalk you.
  2. Keeping your distance from the wolf, get a deer between it and you. The wolf will automatically ignore you and target the deer.
  3. Watch nature take it’s course and take the spoils.
  4. Remember the Deadman’s Code: It ain’t smelly if it’s in your belly!

9 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Rember the Deadman’s Code: It ain’t smelly if it’s in your belly!

LMFAO. I don't care if it's smelly. Cooking level 5 is amazing.

I'm kinda a noob still and I'm not terribly comfortable with the wind and fire placement. I still don't recognize when the wind is shifting and I end up getting into a scuffle. I may ignore the wolves, but they don't ignore me. 

3 to 4 days is nothing when you get 2 bears to follow you home and killed right on your door step. Furthest a bear in PV has followed me was from Thomson's Crossing to Molly's farm house. Took a day, but I'm still new and prefer delivery. I'm not a seasoned survivor by any means. I'm comfortable hunting bears, fighting TW packs but walking around with any stink in Voyager is terrifying to say the least. I'm still to big of a chicken to try Stalker. Interloper lasted about a minute real time. I'll get there, but there's so much of this game that is panic inducing.

@Leeanda I think the basement at the airport might qualify, only thing it's missing is a aura key to enter, an ammunition workbench, and milling machine.

I like the look of the crafted gear. I don't know if the pants are necessary, but I layer them with snow pants under. Found the mukluck's day one in really good condition so I use them for foot wear. Ptarmigan as far as I've noticed are just fun to kill. They don't even notice when their buddy dies, right in front of them.

• Upvote 2

LMFAO. I don't care if it's smelly. Cooking level 5 is amazing.

I'm kinda a noob still and I'm not terribly comfortable with the wind and fire placement. I still don't recognize when the wind is shifting and I end up getting into a scuffle. I may ignore the wolves, but they don't ignore me. 

3 to 4 days is nothing when you get 2 bears to follow you home and killed right on your door step. Furthest a bear in PV has followed me was from Thomson's Crossing to Molly's farm house. Took a day, but I'm still new and prefer delivery. I'm not a seasoned survivor by any means. I'm comfortable hunting bears, fighting TW packs but walking around with any stink in Voyager is terrifying to say the least. I'm still to big of a chicken to try Stalker. Interloper lasted about a minute real time. I'll get there, but there's so much of this game that is panic inducing.

@Leeanda I think the basement at the airport might qualify, only thing it's missing is a aura key to enter, an ammunition workbench, and milling machine.

I like the look of the crafted gear. I don't know if the pants are necessary, but I layer them with snow pants under. Found the mukluck's day one in really good condition so I use them for foot wear. Ptarmigan as far as I've noticed are just fun to kill. They don't even notice when their buddy dies, right in front of them.

Sorry I meant in real life, when I was talking about a bat cave😁.   But yes it would be a realistic kind of bat cave.

But yes, I did pay a brief visit to the hangar and a milling machine would be good.   

I know what you mean, I do too.  I usually wear the wolf coat over an expo coat,  and combats over snow pants..  insulated boots, even though they are heavier because they're warmer.  . I don't need to rush for anything really but I do like to  get the bunny hat and gloves made as soon as possible. Both for warmth and looks.   And I won't go to some maps until I have the bear roll..  

I don't know why you keep saying you're chicken when you're quite happy fighting twolves and luring bears around..  I'd gladly take on the moose and a wolf together than just one of those .

56 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Sorry I meant in real life, when I was talking about a bat cave😁.   But yes it would be a realistic kind of bat cave.

But yes, I did pay a brief visit to the hangar and a milling machine would be good.   

I know what you mean, I do too.  I usually wear the wolf coat over an expo coat,  and combats over snow pants..  insulated boots, even though they are heavier because they're warmer.  . I don't need to rush for anything really but I do like to  get the bunny hat and gloves made as soon as possible. Both for warmth and looks.   And I won't go to some maps until I have the bear roll..  

I don't know why you keep saying you're chicken when you're quite happy fighting twolves and luring bears around..  I'd gladly take on the moose and a wolf together than just one of those .

It's the bear roll really worth it? I've found one, but left it behind. What maps are that cold? FA is cold, but I wore the wolf coat there instead of running home and getting the bear coat. I'm not sure what other coat I have on. It's worked well so far.

It's easy to move and run and fight. Sitting still in a harvest menu is what makes me sweaty and nervous. At least to me bears and TW are way easier cause they only want to eat you. Combat is the only option. Normal wolves can be easily distracted and are ADD hunters that might come back. I don't know who said it on YouTube, but I've found this to be true, sitting still in this game is a death sentence. You stay put to long, no more food. Harvesting and cooking meat brings in new friends. Blizzards allow your new friends to get really close. I make mistakes allot. Combat is really the only area I'm confident I know what I'm doing in. 

Lol, if given the chance I'd gladly live in a cave starting today lol 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

It's the bear roll really worth it? I've found one, but left it behind. What maps are that cold? FA is cold, but I wore the wolf coat there instead of running home and getting the bear coat. I'm not sure what other coat I have on. It's worked well so far.

It's easy to move and run and fight. Sitting still in a harvest menu is what makes me sweaty and nervous. At least to me bears and TW are way easier cause they only want to eat you. Combat is the only option. Normal wolves can be easily distracted and are ADD hunters that might come back. I don't know who said it on YouTube, but I've found this to be true, sitting still in this game is a death sentence. You stay put to long, no more food. Harvesting and cooking meat brings in new friends. Blizzards allow your new friends to get really close. I make mistakes allot. Combat is really the only area I'm confident I know what I'm doing in. 

Lol, if given the chance I'd gladly live in a cave starting today lol 

You left a free bear roll?    Those things are like gold...😁.   I only make them if I don't find one.. it's the difference between needing a fire in a cave or not..  but I've never really spent much time making fires and boiling water . I'll live on what water I find ,then I'll make loads of water at the same time cooking a ton of bear meat.   I usually end up with about forty bottles which I'll take a few of to drop in the next map.    

I used to just make do with the regular bedroll until BlackRock was added,  I nearly died twice ,once in BlackRock itself and once in keepers north because even with the best gear on I nearly froze to death during blizzards.   It might become obsolete when I can make the new bedroll but then I don't know what I'd do with the bearskins .  I know I don't need the hides but it seems odd to not take them as well as the meat and guts. 

Ah I see... Well I can understand that..  I have played stalker and it did get a bit annoying to be stalked,ran away from then stalked again.  .

But the twolves I find more annoying, they just don't stand still long enough to do anything.  Trying to hit a moving target is hard for me and they are terrible for darting around..  .. unless you get really cornered but it's pretty much too late by then😁

Unless an animal is near you when a blizzard starts then there shouldn't be any around.  They despawn,or should..   

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

You left a free bear roll?    Those things are like gold...😁.   I only make them if I don't find one.. it's the difference between needing a fire in a cave or not..  but I've never really spent much time making fires and boiling water . I'll live on what water I find ,then I'll make loads of water at the same time cooking a ton of bear meat.   I usually end up with about forty bottles which I'll take a few of to drop in the next map.    

I used to just make do with the regular bedroll until BlackRock was added,  I nearly died twice ,once in BlackRock itself and once in keepers north because even with the best gear on I nearly froze to death during blizzards.   It might become obsolete when I can make the new bedroll but then I don't know what I'd do with the bearskins .  I know I don't need the hides but it seems odd to not take them as well as the meat and guts. 

Ah I see... Well I can understand that..  I have played stalker and it did get a bit annoying to be stalked,ran away from then stalked again.  .

But the twolves I find more annoying, they just don't stand still long enough to do anything.  Trying to hit a moving target is hard for me and they are terrible for darting around..  .. unless you get really cornered but it's pretty much too late by then😁

Unless an animal is near you when a blizzard starts then there shouldn't be any around.  They despawn,or should..   

Yeah, I found it in the Cole filling station. Just had to go up the elevator to the little building over the tracks. 

I'm still to chicken to really sleep in caves. I'll get there eventually lol. 

With the TW, i really try to back myself into a corner. The darting nature is what prompted me to set up a funnel at the radio hut. They can twist and turn all they want, but to get me, there's only the one path. And if you're ready to loose death that direction, it's just a matter of pulling the trigger the first time you get the chance.

Pretty sure they are around before I start. I probably should kill off everything around me, but I just get lazy or over confident in the power of fire. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Yeah, I found it in the Cole filling station. Just had to go up the elevator to the little building over the tracks. 

I'm still to chicken to really sleep in caves. I'll get there eventually lol. 

With the TW, i really try to back myself into a corner. The darting nature is what prompted me to set up a funnel at the radio hut. They can twist and turn all they want, but to get me, there's only the one path. And if you're ready to loose death that direction, it's just a matter of pulling the trigger the first time you get the chance.

Pretty sure they are around before I start. I probably should kill off everything around me, but I just get lazy or over confident in the power of fire. 

Well I try to sleep indoors to save wear and tear on the bear roll but caves can be quite cosy.. except the bears anyway😁  

There are some caves with ledges of sorts where you can sleep out of reach of bears/wolves..  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I still don't recognize when the wind is shifting

That sometimes happens to me too, whenever I get too greedy ;). Generally, though, there is rule of thumb to follow. On average, windchill rises or drops at a maximum rate of 2C per hour. Windchills of -6C or less will usually hold for an entire day. Usually.

I may ignore the wolves, but they don't ignore me. 

Agreed, those things are like seeking missiles on some difficulties (looking at you, Stalker), but there are a few… nonviolent… ways to deal with them.

• Torches or flares. Temps should be low enough and matches plentiful enough that you don’t have to carry dozens of torches (like I do 😁), just one or two 100%ers. When a wolf barks at you, drop the torch (or flare) and aim a weapon in it’s general direction. Just never, ever, throw the torch.
  • Campfires… should usually scare a wolf off. <coughs> I say usually…
  • You can sneak past wolves pretty easily, even with high detection range, just crouch and be patient, Voyageur temps should be low enough that you won’t freeze while doing that.
  • You can distract wolves with rocks, they will run to investigate wherever they land.

Ptarmigan as far as I've noticed are just fun to kill.

Crom laughs at them. Laughs from his mountain…

Interloper lasted about a minute real time.

I think that’s about everyone’s first Interloper run in a nutshell :D.
“Where am I, it’s cold”… ooh, sticks and bunnies… *bark*… “YAAAAUAUUGHH!!!”

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

That sometimes happens to me too, whenever I get too greedy ;). Generally, though, there is rule of thumb to follow. On average, windchill rises or drops at a maximum rate of 2C per hour. Windchills of -6C or less will usually hold for an entire day. Usually.

Agreed, those things are like seeking missiles on some difficulties (looking at you, Stalker), but there are a few… nonviolent… ways to deal with them.

• Torches or flares. Temps should be low enough and matches plentiful enough that you don’t have to carry dozens of torches (like I do 😁), just one or two 100%ers. When a wolf barks at you, drop the torch (or flare) and aim a weapon in it’s general direction. Just never, ever, throw the torch.
  • You can sneak past wolves pretty easily, even with high detection range, just crouch and be patient, Voyageur temps should be low enough that you won’t freeze while doing that.
  • You can distract wolves with rocks, they will run to investigate wherever they land.

LMFAO,I didn't even make it sticks.  Just the warm embrace of a wolf. Let's see what's around, 2 steps later and I'm restarting in Voyager 😅😂😂🔥 

I understand the mechanics and I do pretty good with them when I'm not surprised. My issue like you said, I get greedy and don't recognize the shift. And I'm pretty dumb when I panic, hit the wrong buttons and bam, here's my bow, Wich isn't giving safety at those ranges. I normally carry torches lit everywhere cause I eventually will  be confident in my game knowledge to play interloper and I want to develop good habits. Pretty decent and evasion, but when I harvest, I do dumb things and win dumb prizes. I'm a noob here and I'm perfectly ok with panic and bad decisions. I really want to hit 500 days, and it may be this run or one of the next thousand. There's so much to take in for a game with such simple design. I love it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Well I try to sleep indoors to save wear and tear on the bear roll but caves can be quite cosy.. except the bears anyway😁  

There are some caves with ledges of sorts where you can sleep out of reach of bears/wolves..  

I'll get brave for outdoor sleeping soon enough. I'll do it, but the entire time the screens black I sweat and my brain goes nuts lol guess I need to go get the bear roll and try it out!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, conanjaguar said:

Also, thank you for all the tips and advice. I'll try to use them, but panic is my go to. I can't wait for my instincts to develop more!!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I'll get brave for outdoor sleeping soon enough. I'll do it, but the entire time the screens black I sweat and my brain goes nuts lol guess I need to go get the bear roll and try it out!!!!

I'm not trying to pressure you or anything,  we all play our own way,that's the beauty of this game.  Aside from the actual beauty of the game😊

I don't know what the setting is for attacks when sleeping etc on voyager anyway..  I'm only presuming it's off like it is on pilgrim.. 

But have more faith in yourself.... You'd be surprised what you can do..  I thought I'd last 5 minutes on stalker and even less on loper but I managed over a 100 days on stalker  and three weeks on loper..  both were ended by my own doing . Loper was intentional.  😊