Survivor talk, might have spoilers.

FaT McMarlin

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm not trying to pressure you or anything,  we all play our own way,that's the beauty of this game.  Aside from the actual beauty of the game😊

I don't know what the setting is for attacks when sleeping etc on voyager anyway..  I'm only presuming it's off like it is on pilgrim.. 

But have more faith in yourself.... You'd be surprised what you can do..  I thought I'd last 5 minutes on stalker and even less on loper but I managed over a 100 days on stalker  and three weeks on loper..  both were ended by my own doing . Loper was intentional.  😊

You will definitely get attacked in your sleep in Voyager. I used to sleep outside on ledges and stuff, but a bear mauling that ended a run, and one wolf attack put an end to that. Granted, I know at least for the bear  I had meat on me while I slept, so there's that reason. The wolf attack I don't know. I had a fire going, maybe placed wrong and left a path for the wolf. Either way, I've been scared of out door sleeping since. But my fear of sleeping in caves does limit my exploration.  I really just want to limit as much risk until I hit 500. I'm at 202 days, 14 days off my record. As I casually walk into TW territory with fresh guts just to start a fight. Lol. But really it's the lack of control in those situations that makes me so nervous. I'm stationary and that scares the hell out of me. 

I've never tried stalker. But depending on how far this run goes, I'll try it next. My ultimate goal is to run on interloper. I'll get there. When I go back to HRV for a few weeks I'll kinda have to face my fears and just get used to it, hopefully. I may never be comfortable with cave sleeping. Even if I have to do it.

8 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

You will definitely get attacked in your sleep in Voyager. I used to sleep outside on ledges and stuff, but a bear mauling that ended a run, and one wolf attack put an end to that. Granted, I know at least for the bear  I had meat on me while I slept, so there's that reason. The wolf attack I don't know. I had a fire going, maybe placed wrong and left a path for the wolf. Either way, I've been scared of out door sleeping since. But my fear of sleeping in caves does limit my exploration.  I really just want to limit as much risk until I hit 500. I'm at 202 days, 14 days off my record. As I casually walk into TW territory with fresh guts just to start a fight. Lol. But really it's the lack of control in those situations that makes me so nervous. I'm stationary and that scares the hell out of me. 

I've never tried stalker. But depending on how far this run goes, I'll try it next. My ultimate goal is to run on interloper. I'll get there. When I go back to HRV for a few weeks I'll kinda have to face my fears and just get used to it, hopefully. I may never be comfortable with cave sleeping. Even if I have to do it.

Ah I see...    Hrv is definitely a cave only place, I could hardly ever find any on my brief journeys there though. But there is the bunker if you've done signal void.     

I don't know about fires blocking their pathing but I have seen someone using stone caches at the entrance and that seemed to work.  

I'm sure you'll do fine, you've made it that far already. 👍

19 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Ah I see...    Hrv is definitely a cave only place, I could hardly ever find any on my brief journeys there though. But there is the bunker if you've done signal void.     

I don't know about fires blocking their pathing but I have seen someone using stone caches at the entrance and that seemed to work.  

I'm sure you'll do fine, you've made it that far already. 👍

There's the SV bunker and a fully stocked prepper bunker, hunting so I'm going there to find the hunters revolver. And learn the region a bit. I've never used a rock cache,I hardly ever pick up stones lol. The fire should work the same way in a cave as it does in the wild. I think I placed it to far back to stay away from the wind, and that left a small gap for it. I don't know for sure what allowed it, but it's got me scared of cave sleep. Lol

I'll get to 500 eventually. I think once I get the achievement I'll take more risk than I already do.

2 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

There's the SV bunker and a fully stocked prepper bunker, hunting so I'm going there to find the hunters revolver. And learn the region a bit. I've never used a rock cache,I hardly ever pick up stones lol. The fire should work the same way in a cave as it does in the wild. I think I placed it to far back to stay away from the wind, and that left a small gap for it. I don't know for sure what allowed it, but it's got me scared of cave sleep. Lol

I'll get to 500 eventually. I think once I get the achievement I'll take more risk than I already do.

Oh you've got both bunkers then..  that's handy..  I wanted that teddy bear in the sv one.. 😁 

I never use stones either.. not since I got the hit the bunny achievement.   Took a while as I couldn't work out the right distance for it, just went nuts throwing them randomly in the end😁.    

I know there's the two ice caves in hrv but I don't know which one has the wolf in it..  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Oh you've got both bunkers then..  that's handy..  I wanted that teddy bear in the sv one.. 😁 

I never use stones either.. not since I got the hit the bunny achievement.   Took a while as I couldn't work out the right distance for it, just went nuts throwing them randomly in the end😁.    

I know there's the two ice caves in hrv but I don't know which one has the wolf in it..  

So the wolf is in the cave closest to the entrance to HRV. Just go to the prepper bunker by lonely cave, make sure you've got meat on you. Enter ice cave and throw a few stones. If the wolf is there, you can shoot it from the elevated ledge with the climbing rope or if your lucky you can exit the cave and the wolf will glitch through the walls onto the lonely cave area. There's not supposed to be predators there and when the wolf comes out of the walls, it's terrified and runs constantly. One shot for the bleed and eat lol.

When I got the stone throw achievement I wasn't hunting. It was my first 15 min in game and I was learning the ballistic drop of stones, threw the rock, hit a bunny I didn't know was there and I laughed thinking achievements in this game were easy lol 😂😂😂😂😂 of how I was wrong.

I saw the teddy bear in the FA hanger. Reminded me of COD zombies and I wish I could pick it up. I know it's dumb, but I'd carry that teddy bear like my bow, never leave home without it. I think it would be cool to be able to fully loot a place, want a picture from the wall, you've got to carry it in hand home. Like the bed sheets somewhere, fold them up and take them to your base. Granted, coding this game can't be easy, and I don't think base building should really be a priority or an option. But some simple accessories you could add to your home would be nice. Even if they don't provide any boost to you at all.

7 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

So the wolf is in the cave closest to the entrance to HRV. Just go to the prepper bunker by lonely cave, make sure you've got meat on you. Enter ice cave and throw a few stones. If the wolf is there, you can shoot it from the elevated ledge with the climbing rope or if your lucky you can exit the cave and the wolf will glitch through the walls onto the lonely cave area. There's not supposed to be predators there and when the wolf comes out of the walls, it's terrified and runs constantly. One shot for the bleed and eat lol.

When I got the stone throw achievement I wasn't hunting. It was my first 15 min in game and I was learning the ballistic drop of stones, threw the rock, hit a bunny I didn't know was there and I laughed thinking achievements in this game were easy lol 😂😂😂😂😂 of how I was wrong.

I saw the teddy bear in the FA hanger. Reminded me of COD zombies and I wish I could pick it up. I know it's dumb, but I'd carry that teddy bear like my bow, never leave home without it. I think it would be cool to be able to fully loot a place, want a picture from the wall, you've got to carry it in hand home. Like the bed sheets somewhere, fold them up and take them to your base. Granted, coding this game can't be easy, and I don't think base building should really be a priority or an option. But some simple accessories you could add to your home would be nice. Even if they don't provide any boost to you at all.

Well perhaps that's what they mean by base building.. we don't really know yet..  I was looking forward to the photography stuff they mentioned but I'm not sure that's going to happen now.  

I do want that teddy though😁

34 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well perhaps that's what they mean by base building.. we don't really know yet..  I was looking forward to the photography stuff they mentioned but I'm not sure that's going to happen now.  

I do want that teddy though😁

The teddy should be ironic and keep the bears at bay.... LMFAO but really, it should be a decoration.

The real aspect that drew me to the game was the no base building. What's there is there. You can't create contraptions impossible for creatures to use, the world is as is. You can't build traps, you guy to improvise with your environment. This is also my first and only survival game ever. I'm really loving the game as is. Bugs and glitches aside, I can't wait to see what they bring out next. 

3 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

The teddy should be ironic and keep the bears at bay.... LMFAO but really, it should be a decoration.

The real aspect that drew me to the game was the no base building. What's there is there. You can't create contraptions impossible for creatures to use, the world is as is. You can't build traps, you guy to improvise with your environment. This is also my first and only survival game ever. I'm really loving the game as is. Bugs and glitches aside, I can't wait to see what they bring out next. 

Well it's like most games of its type really, in one respect anyway.....if you don't want it don't use it.   Pilgrim loot is so abundant so I really don't need most of it so I just leave it where it is.    Aside from the sardines which I'll never touch at all.. it's one of my little rules...   

I was happy with the game three years ago and I'm still happy with it now so the Devs are doing a great job..  sure the bugs can be frustrating but everything else more than makes up for them.. as long as it's playable I don't care,  it's worth it just for the beautiful scenery and those little moments that take your breath away.

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Well it's like most games of its type really, in one respect anyway.....if you don't want it don't use it.   Pilgrim loot is so abundant so I really don't need most of it so I just leave it where it is.    Aside from the sardines which I'll never touch at all.. it's one of my little rules...   

I was happy with the game three years ago and I'm still happy with it now so the Devs are doing a great job..  sure the bugs can be frustrating but everything else more than makes up for them.. as long as it's playable I don't care,  it's worth it just for the beautiful scenery and those little moments that take your breath away.

I save sardines until cooking 5 and then I have my fill of them.

Voyager has allot of loot as well that I leave till I need it. This run especially I've been wandering around most of the time, so taking everything to a central location doesn't seem wise. I'll need it eventually and it will be there. 

4 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I save sardines until cooking 5 and then I have my fill of them.

Voyager has allot of loot as well that I leave till I need it. This run especially I've been wandering around most of the time, so taking everything to a central location doesn't seem wise. I'll need it eventually and it will be there. 

You can have mine if you like😁. There's loads in bleak.... Just when I think I've found them all, I break a crate or something and there's even more.

I do like to leave some things in more strategic spots ,  where there's less animals or resources. Or where there's a higher chance of getting stuck  because blizzards are common.

38 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I'm pretty dumb when I panic, hit the wrong buttons and bam, here's my bow, Wich isn't giving safety at those ranges.

“To err is human, to really screw up, you need to play TLD.”
- Me

I’m still mostly a glory-seeking noob in hardcore ‘loper’s clothing :D. I have yet to make 50 days on any difficulty 😞.

4 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

- Me

I’m still mostly a glory-seeking noob in hardcore ‘loper’s clothing :D. I have yet to make 50 days on any difficulty 😞.

To forgive is divine....  so forgive yourself.....😊We all make mistakes ,no matter how long we've played it for..

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

You can have mine if you like😁. There's loads in bleak.... Just when I think I've found them all, I break a crate or something and there's even more.

I do like to leave some things in more strategic spots ,  where there's less animals or resources. Or where there's a higher chance of getting stuck  because blizzards are common.

Lol I guess I need to go back to BI , but I'm bringing a pistol and ammo. I don't know it well enough to play bow games again nor do I want to expend the flares.

If BRP was in PV's location I'd make it my home. PV is so central I feel it's very efficient for a home. I'm bad about leaving bear meat everywhere. Some cooked, most raw. Sitting in the snow waiting for me to come back

• Upvote 1

I know this sort of started as a conversation between you (@FaT McMarlin) and @Leeanda.
I've not read through all of it yet... but are you just discussing survival strats?

I've not been keeping up with the forums over the last few days, but I can certainly talk strategy if no one here minds me in the discussion.
Of course, you do have an experienced and capable "guiding star" already.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

- Me

You'll get there!!! As a fellow noob, I'm really enjoying the Voyager experience. Lots of forgiveness in mistakes. You'll still need to be careful, but I find it's a good difficulty to start with. I did 100 days on Pilgrim just to learn the basics, got tired of the bears running from me and started Voyager. What difficulty are you running?

7 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I know this sort of started as a conversation between you (@FaT McMarlin) and @Leeanda.
I've not read through all of it yet... but are you just discussing survival strats?

I've not been keeping up with the forums over the last few days, but I can certainly talk strategy if no one here minds me in the discussion.
Of course, you do already have an experienced and capable "guiding star" already.

Well it started taking about what happened in certain places in regard to bodies you find and the damage to the world. But it morphed into just random talking. Strategies we find useful, tips, tricks and whatnot is perfectly fine. I made the conversation public so anyone can join and talk. If you want to discuss something or you've got a question or answer, post it. I can't speak for Leeanda or ConanJaguar but I'll do my best to chat with anyone. I can't learn what you've discovered if you don't share. 

Edited by FaT McMarlin
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Of course, you do already have an experienced and capable "guiding star" already.

Anything goes really  And as @FaT McMarlin said anyone's welcome😊.      Guiding star?    That's everyone but me then, I'm liable to get those two killed with my advice😁

• Upvote 2

I do have several of my runs chronicled.  In them, I do try to keep a sort of running commentary on the reasons I made particular decisions and I often try to explain strategies I employ.  Often why they work for me and how other's might use them for their own benefit (should it fit in with their playstyle, that is).

I'm always around to try to answer questions as well (at least to the extent of my own considerable experience).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Lol I guess I need to go back to BI , but I'm bringing a pistol and ammo. I don't know it well enough to play bow games again nor do I want to expend the flares.

If BRP was in PV's location I'd make it my home. PV is so central I feel it's very efficient for a home. I'm bad about leaving bear meat everywhere. Some cooked, most raw. Sitting in the snow waiting for me to come back

The prison in pv?   Well I can see why but I think it'd detract from the openness  which to me is it's best feature..  plus I'm like you and leave meat everywhere so I need the space😁

• Like 1

Just now, Leeanda said:

The prison in pv?   Well I can see why but I think it'd detract from the openness  which to me is it's best feature..  plus I'm like you and leave meat everywhere so I need the space😁

Oh, I meant keeping the regions the same as they are, just switch the places. I think BRP would be awesome in a central location. Want to get to the other side of the map, get through the TW. Plus it would be neat to look out of TWM and see a valley one way and a canyon the the next.

@ManicManiac That seems very interesting! Where do I find this chronical? What's your best advice for noobs wanting to develop better game instincts? What's a rule you follow that you developed for yourself that's really helped you stay alive? 

5 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I do have several of my runs chronicled.  There I do try to keep a sort of running commentary on the reasons I made particular decisions and I often try to explain strategies I employ.  Often why they work for me and how other's might use them for their own benefit (should it fit in with their playstyle, that is).

I'm always around to try to answer questions as well (at least to the extent of my own considerable experience).

Any and all advice greatly received 😊.   

I am rather curious about the attacking while sleeping though..   I never had that issue on stalker for some reason . 

11 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Oh, I meant keeping the regions the same as they are, just switch the places. I think BRP would be awesome in a central location. Want to get to the other side of the map, get through the TW. Plus it would be neat to look out of TWM and see a valley one way and a canyon the the next.

@ManicManiac That seems very interesting! Where do I find this chronical? What's your best advice for noobs wanting to develop better game instincts? What's a rule you follow that you developed for yourself that's really helped you stay alive? 

Oh I see ,sorry...  😅.   I thought you meant just the prison ..   

I'd like to see a few places swapped round actually....    I like desolation point but don't really go very often because I'm not keen on coastal highway. 

I'd swap ash for forlorn maybe...  

33 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I am rather curious about the attacking while sleeping though.

I know that over the years that has flipped back and forth (though some of those times, I think it could have just been glitched out), that bears and wolves could attack our survivor in their sleeping bags (if they were unfortunate enough to choose to sleep out in the open with their wandering route - or close enough to the wandering route to be in their detection radius).  Granted that you likely knew that already...

I've not put myself in that position in quite a long while, so I don't know what the current status of that being a risk might or might not be.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I know that over the years that has flipped back and forth (though some of those times, I think it could have just been glitched out), that bears and wolves could attack our survivor in their sleeping bags (if they were unfortunate enough to choose to sleep out in the open with their wandering route - or close enough to the wandering route to be in their detection radius).  Granted that you likely knew that already...

I've not put myself in that position in quite a long while, so I don't know what the current status of that being a risk might or might not be.

Well I know that is off in pilgrim settings.    But I was careful to sleep in caves that were not near known wolves/bears ,if possible.. I was daft enough to carry some food around,but only one scent marker . And I always had a fire between me and the entrance,though not blocking it in any way...    I've never had the chance to work out the detection range... 

I just find it surprising that it never happened as it's one of the things I was expecting the most.