Anyone find any Ptarmigans yet?

It has occurred to me that maybe the ptarmigan flock rotate among several spawn points.  Cause a flock to flee one point and they "move" to another spawn point.   It may not be immediate but say occurs on the next day.  Meanwhile the flock is then nowhere to be found until then.  That would account for someone seeing a flock at one spot but when someone goes to that spot the flock is not there.  

So don't frighten the birds or you might have to wait a day at another spot to see them again.  Kill off the entire flock and then the flock is gone until more birds "spawn". 

Just a guess. 

I've found quite a lot in comparison to others here. ML has a flock at Lake Overlook (one on the hill opp Camp Office). I've found quite a few in TWM. Summit had two flocks (one near the cave and the other nr Tail Section on the hill opp the opening.). Ash Canyon had the most number I've found till now. Near the gold mine between the birch saplings and the corpse, Miner's folly, near the cave diagonally opp Climber's cave on the same level. These are just a few places that I could remember.

The only thing is, unlike the rabbits, if you scare them or miss hitting them, they'll fly off and not return to that spot for a while.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:49 AM, hozz1235 said:

Like you said, if you use stones, you only get one out of the flock.  I was hoping they would fly a short distance and then land, but they fly away and despawn.  I'm wondering if a stealth, fire-hardened arrow approach would let you get more than one (like we can do with deer).

Yes it can.  I killed six ptarmigans with 7 FHA (1 missed) and wiped out the flock.  Problem with a stone is it only stuns a ptarmigan so one has to break stealth to get to it in time.  

The ptarmigan flock finally returned to the slope below the electric utility pole on the hill to the right of the approach road to Blackrock Prison.  FHA (and level 5 archery) seems to be the way to go if one wants to get more than one (by using stones).  I had level 5 archery before the update so really don't know how easy or hard it would be if I couldn't crouch to shoot.  Now Geltaz could probably nail the entire flock from the road but I would never be that good. 

If one looks carefully the presence of the flock can be seen from the road.  

At a guess I would have said that the ptarmigans near Blackrock Prison spawned again about 14 days after I wiped out the flock.  Then I happen to be passing by, 4 days later, when a timberwolf had killed a ptarmigan at that location.  So I have no real idea of how often the ptarmigans spawn.  😅 

Seeing them fairly often as I was running all over Great Bear with my charcoal. Marsh Ridge on Forlorn Muskeg I killed 4 of them and made myself a batch of broth. Then I seen them at the Camp Office and the Overlook cave on Mystery Lake. Hushed River they were by the Peak Cave. Mountain Town I seen them near the transition cave going to Hushed River. Also seen them by the Broken Railroad transition from Forlorn up on the hill. 

Yesterday i took a trip from Coastal highway where i was fishing and piling up lantern oil to Blackrock via PV,TWM,AC. I have seen or heard the birds in every region so my conclusion is that they are plenty. I have more than enough feathers of them since you dont need much and started to ignore them when i past them. I havent seen any burdock plant yet. Maybe ill find some in Blackrock when i will reloot it today. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2023 at 9:29 PM, Admin said:

As a reminder for those unaware, we are currently working toward a fix for the following issue: Ptarmigans will not spawn when playing in Custom Survival

For more information, please visit: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/13754630088852-PC 

When can we expect a new patch? Does the fix require to start a  new custom game or will existing saves work ? Just I'm wanting to start a new custom run and don't know if I should hold off until the new patch. Thanks 

On 7/5/2023 at 1:55 AM, James Hickok said:

Yesterday i took a trip from Coastal highway where i was fishing and piling up lantern oil to Blackrock via PV,TWM,AC. I have seen or heard the birds in every region so my conclusion is that they are plenty. I have more than enough feathers of them since you dont need much and started to ignore them when i past them. I havent seen any burdock plant yet. Maybe ill find some in Blackrock when i will reloot it today. 

I've been seeing burdock plant in my travels in all regions so far 

On 6/23/2023 at 6:49 AM, hozz1235 said:

Like you said, if you use stones, you only get one out of the flock.  I was hoping they would fly a short distance and then land, but they fly away and despawn.  I'm wondering if a stealth, fire-hardened arrow approach would let you get more than one (like we can do with deer).

I have been using FHA with survival bow and basic (level 1) archery skill and have been able to pick off the entire flock one at a time if I'm careful not to get too close.

On 6/26/2023 at 2:19 AM, James Hickok said:

Dont you think that skinning them takes too much time - i mean over 2 hours by hand for a single one. I think it way too long. Took me more than 8 hours to skin 4 of them. 

I was thinking that the time needed to pluck all the down should be about 1 hour by hand and double that with a knife. Cause really thats what you are doing is plucking the down... Not peeling the whole skin.

• Upvote 2

Found another ptarmigan nesting site in Blackrock.  It is located 'north' from the Bricklayer's Retreat on a small hill roughly about as far from the Retreat as the birch sapling that I always find near there and west of the sapling.  This nesting site can be mapped.

I also came across one or more ptarmigans on the snow on the path to the Whistling Perch (hunter's blind).  No nest, no flock, just one or two birds.  Kind of surprised to see them.  

4 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Yeah, I've heard them all along - little stinkers are just teasing me!

Well I'm just glad I'm not completely nuts.        I don't really spend much time on higher ground so I presume that's why I'm hearing them now..

Let's hope there's a fix soon.     My ingredients aren't looking very good.