Anyone find any Ptarmigans yet?

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

For pc yes....   🙂 

Hopefully consoles aren't far behind.

What console you play on? I and my mother-in-law both play on Xbox Series X and my wife plays on Xbox Series S.

Edited by Cattleman

Just now, Leeanda said:

I use Xbox one s...  Pretty old these days 🙂

Thats what I started on when TLD first came out to Xbox... Gave it to our daughter when we upgraded to the Series X... Then my mother-in-law bought us a Series S so we could all play minecraft together online.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cattleman said:

Thats what I started on when TLD first came out to Xbox... Gave it to our daughter when we upgraded to the Series X... Then my mother-in-law bought us a Series S so we could all play minecraft together online.

I would've upgraded but I'm not a fan of digital..   I prefer the antiquated discs🙂

I do have a pc but I can't play it on there at the moment..  I do prefer Xbox though despite Microsoft ... 

Which do you prefer?

Just now, Leeanda said:

I would've upgraded but I'm not a fan of digital..   I prefer the antiquated discs🙂

I do have a pc but I can't play it on there at the moment..  I do prefer Xbox though despite Microsoft ... 

Which do you prefer?

I used to game on PC MANY years ago... But anymore I prefer to game on console. Definetally prefer Xbox over any of its competitors. I get the preference of discs... But aftet we started having children I very rapidly converted to digital. Only took 2 or 3 of my favorite game discs getting destroyed. Plus I like the easy of being able to move from one console to another and still be able to play MY game without having to carry the disc along. Alot of the games we have are owned by one person but 2 of us play simulatiously... So digital makes sense, at least on Xbox.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cattleman said:

I used to game on PC MANY years ago... But anymore I prefer to game on console. Definetally prefer Xbox over any of its competitors. I get the preference of discs... But aftet we started having children I very rapidly converted to digital. Only took 2 or 3 of my favorite game discs getting destroyed. Plus I like the easy of being able to move from one console to another and still be able to play MY game without having to carry the disc along. Alot of the games we have are owned by one person but 2 of us play simulatiously... So digital makes sense, at least on Xbox.

Ah, small hands get everywhere don't they🙂.  Like the old video recorders were used as a toaster😁 

I must admit I did freak out when my console didn't want to give me my disc back for a few minutes...  

I can understand why you use digital ,I'm just wary about them. I do have a few downloaded games but they seem to have more issues than discs .

• Like 1

ok, finally found some in HRV at:

The ice cave entrance south of Mammoth Falls.
Another flock on the south shore of Monolith Lake.
More near Pensive Vista!
Peak cave too.
Yet more by the NW cave.
On top of a hill SW of Reclusive Falls.
Above the river, NE of Hushed River.
East (up above) of the entrance to HRV.

@Cattleman, you weren't kidding!

Edited by hozz1235
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

I've checked several known Ptarmigan locations on my custom run and have yet to see any.  Any other Custom players seen them since the update?

<edit> ok, finally found some in HRV at the ice cave entrance south of Mammoth Falls.
Another flock on the south shore of Monolith Lake.
More near Pensive Vista!
Peak cave too.
Yet more by the NW cave.
On top of a hill SW of Reclusive Falls.

@Cattleman, you weren't kidding!

Lol, told ya.

I'm in the process of establishing an outpost in Ash Canyon to map and look for more.

6 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Finally found these fluffbirds in Mountain Town, and I probably over-hunted them out of excitement so I may have sterilized the map.... Which would be very disappointing.

They respawn quite quickly.  I wiped out the flock of 6 near Monolith Lake and within 2 days, one had returned.

Just now, hozz1235 said:

They respawn quite quickly.  I wiped out the flock of 6 near Monolith Lake and within 2 days, one had returned.

That's good to hear.

For better or for worse, I seem to have permanently depopulated the entire world of Timberwolves due to my extremely aggressive attitude towards them. I mean I went out of my way to kill them simply because they exist, retrieve my arrow, left them to rot. The last couple times I've been to Blackrock and Bleak Inlet on my 1300-day custom game, I've only encountered solitary Timberwolves who've always run.  Regular wolves respawn, but I was quite shocked to find that my last few passes through Blackrock went entirely uncontested by any predators at all. Like...none...and I was on the main roads too. Regular wolves, Timberwolves, bears...all gone. Again, not a complaint, just one of those "Okay, maybe I should set a spell and knock it off with all my killin" moments.

So I was a bit worried that I may have done the same thing to my fluffbirds.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found (or Confirmed) ptarmigan nesting site on Skeeter's Ridge on the hill opposite of the hunter's blind.  When present they would be hard to miss if walking between the abandoned prepper cache and the Skeeter's Ridge basement (and plane crash site).  

Also Found (or Confirmed) ptarmigan nesting site near the Homesteader's Respite cabin between the cabin and the climbing point.   

If disturbed the ptarmigans will fly away and it would be possibly some days before they return.  They may also unspawn for a while sort of like how the moose can be at a spot then not be at a spot then be at the spot, etc. 

I think this thread can be safely "retired".  It was created when the bug existed of no Ptarmigans in custom games.

18 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

If disturbed the ptarmigans will fly away and it would be possibly some days before they return.

I've culled a whole flock and seen one back the next day so not sure what their respawn timer is.  Guess I could run some experiments...

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would add that I saw ptarmigan nesting on the snow nearish to the Camp Office.  I have been waiting for the deer that usually would amble through that general area but maybe the ptarmigans replaced it.  Also I haven't seen the wolf that would go through that area either so maybe it was removed to protect the nesting site.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Thought I would add that I saw ptarmigan nesting on the snow nearish to the Camp Office.  I have been waiting for the deer that usually would amble through that general area but maybe the ptarmigans replaced it.  Also I haven't seen the wolf that would go through that area either so maybe it was removed to protect the nesting site.  

I have still seen the deer there,but it's a lot rarer now..

• Upvote 1

I have seen a timberwolf near Blackrock prison on the icy marsh to the right of the prison approach road detect and go up to the ptarmigan nest near the power transmission pole site and go after the ptarmigans.  Since I play Pilgrim it flees when I approach but I would not be surprised if it would go and kill/eat all the ptarmigans at that nesting site.  

Currently at Mystery Lake and haven't seen any wolves at the train derailment site, by the Camp Office, or along the tracks to Forlorn Muskeg.  Not to say that there were no wolves at all as there were several on Mystery Lake and along the tracks between Carter nearly to the train loading area, but I am surprised at how comparatively few I have seen.  Probably just not looking at the right time and place.  

3 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

All of them?  I'd think a wolf would be lucky to get one before the rest fly off!

He was kind of running away from me ,then just went nuts.😁  by the time I'd fully got to the top there were two live ones left and he was eating another one. He ran briefly but every time I tried to get a sight on one he'd knuckle in and beat me too it..  it was quite funny actually