Beachcombing Part 2 - What have you found?

hozz1235

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Are you supposed to empty the beach before new stuff spawns,

Oh... I didn't even see this question.  Yes, if you have items that occupy the spawn locations, then nothing new will spawn until those items are picked up, or at lest moved.  I don't think I've ever come across an instance where a spawned item de-spawns and gets "refreshed."

Even if it's literal trash... we do need to get rid of it if we want something else to wash up there.  

:coffee::fire::coffee:
@conanjaguar Good catch.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Oh... I didn't even see this question.  Yes, if you have items that occupy the spawn locations, then nothing new will spawn until those items are picked up, or at lest moved.  I don't think I've ever come across an instance where a spawned item de-spawns and gets "refreshed."

Even if it's literal trash... we do need to get rid of it if we want something else to wash up there.  

@conanjaguar Good catch.

Well in coastal I only left the palette the first time round and I still got the rancid fish and the hat so I presume that things will still wash up just not in that exact spot.   

It's a good job bleaks being nice at the moment and visibility is great. 

I'm still probably going to get wet, I don't know this beach that well😁

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

@Leeanda
I was just talking about the classic beachcombing mechanics.
I have a feeling that things washing up from blizzards (especially considering we have things like boats and lockers and so on...)  I think those are separate than the things that wash up via the classic mechanics. 

It's a good observation though, and of course I can't see the source code so I can't know for sure either way.

I think having Hinterland weigh in on it is probably the best way to get confirmation of how it's supposed to be working.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm still probably going to get wet

Put on some crampons... that will help quite a bit with thin ice (which sounds silly seeing that in text form... or saying out loud :D).

If you don't have crampon's remember that an improvised version is craftable now. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
I was just talking about the classic beachcombing mechanics.
I have a feeling that things washing up from blizzards (especially considering we have things like boats and lockers and so on...)  I think those are separate than the things that wash up via the classic mechanics. 

It's a good observation though, and of course I can't see the source code so I can't know for sure either way.

I think having Hinterland weigh in on it is probably the best way to get confirmation of how it's supposed to be working.

Well I'm confused already ..  I've just done some beachcombing in bleak and I'm finding flare shells which I thought weren't from the original mechanic?    And I haven't had a blizzard yet either.

I've only cleaned up half the beach and the weather is not great so I doubt I'll be able to clear the rest of the beach up .  

28 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Put on some crampons... that will help quite a bit with thin ice (which sounds silly seeing that in text form... or saying out loud :D).

If you don't have crampon's remember that an improvised version is craftable now. 

I do have crampons on, I wear them most of the time anyway as it helps reduce damage from my many would be sprains..😁.   Thank you🙂 

Maybe @Admin could shed some light on the mechanics. It'd be very helpful.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm finding flare shells which I thought weren't from the original mechanic? 

perhaps not, but the loot tables for the original mechanic was being updated as well.  I just imagine that the "regular" wash-ashore stuff is still functioned as it always did.  The new bit (other than the loot table refresh) was the part that triggers after a blizzard.   ...but again, I can't know for sure.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

perhaps not, but the loot tables for the original mechanic was being updated as well.  I just imagine that the "regular" wash-ashore stuff is still functioned as it always did.  The new bit (other than the loot table refresh) was the part that triggers after a blizzard.   ...but again, I can't know for sure.

Hence my confusion...      

To be honest though I'm not bothered about the actual loot it's more the excitement of finding something unique to the game..   I want to see the boat🙂

• Upvote 1

Pre blizzard this morning gave me lots of sticks and flare shells. Post blizzard I got a knife,a bunny corpse🥺. ,a corpse with a hat and soda, an empty suitcase and one green sapling. 

And I got a good dunking😄

• Upvote 1

When a blizzard comes it totally refreshes the beach with the new mechanic. If you don't pick up things that have washed ashore, they will disappear with the next blizzard. 

The same goes for the boats unfortunately. Don't sleep in fishing boat or else it will disappear from under your feet if a blizzard comes 😂. Not sure if you can place a bedroll in there in the vanilla game because I was using the place anywhere mod at the time. 

Love the new mechanics though. I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone figured out if fishing boats spawn in Interloper?

Yet another blizzard... Double locker ,two worn coats inside, one flare shell😊. And a canoe with three ruined coho ,two broken arrows and an axe.  .  

And I nearly went in again😄

No chance of trying to sleep in the canoe .😄

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Yet another blizzard... Double licker ,two worn coats inside, one flare shell😊. And a canoe with three ruined coho ,two broken arrows and an axe.  .  

And I nearly went in again😄

No chance of trying to sleep in the canoe .😄

Sounds like you're getting the new BC loot!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Sounds like you're getting the new BC loot!

I have had the rowboat and ruined fish once  but that was at the very start of the run..  looking forward to seeing the bigger boat though😊.  I'm not trying in bleak again, it's a bit of a weird coastline for wandering around on. Especially since the weather is lousy after the blizzards too, one dunk was enough😁

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I have had the rowboat and ruined fish once  but that was at the very start of the run..  looking forward to seeing the bigger boat though😊.  I'm not trying in bleak again, it's a bit of a weird coastline for wandering around on. Especially since the weather is lousy after the blizzards too, one dunk was enough😁

To avoid "diving", in CH, I walked the whole coastline testing the thin ice and placing tinder to form a "boundary".  It took me quite a while, but now I can quickly BC without fear and splashing in.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

To avoid "diving", in CH, I walked the whole coastline testing the thin ice and placing tinder to form a "boundary".  It took me quite a while, but now I can quickly BC without fear and splashing in.

That's a good idea thanks..   might have to use sticks though ,I'm one of those odd people who use tinder even at level 5😁

15 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, unfortunately BI isn't a very good spot for "stress-free" beach combing...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, unfortunately BI isn't a very good spot for "stress-free" beach combing...

That's why I fell in...  I came down the hill from over the bridge and walked as near to the bridge as I could.. I heard the cracking and took two steps back,like I usually would but the ice kept cracking and in I went.. when I tried to turn round and follow my original path the warning just kept coming back on.. I only just made it without another dunking..   

There's also some very big differences between the edge in one place and then in another just a few metres away, especially round the back of the lighthouse. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

My usual routine once I get to BI is to lure the bear close to the fishing hut for a bow shot.  Once killed I have 15 days (at least on Voyageur) of beach combing without bear concerns.  The area from the bridge to beyond the lighthouse island is not frequented by wolves.  So far I have not tried my luck on beach combing in the area beyond the bridge past the cannery.

15 hours ago, Blizzard Walker said:

My usual routine once I get to BI is to lure the bear close to the fishing hut for a bow shot.  Once killed I have 15 days (at least on Voyageur) of beach combing without bear concerns.  The area from the bridge to beyond the lighthouse island is not frequented by wolves.  So far I have not tried my luck on beach combing in the area beyond the bridge past the cannery.

@Leeanda and I play pilgrim, so I think we mostly had in mind the ice cracks situation which is trickier than in other coastal regions, but indeed, that's something else to worry about for those who play other levels!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PilgrimReaper said:

@Leeanda and I play pilgrim, so I think we mostly had in mind the ice cracks situation which is trickier than in other coastal regions, but indeed, that's something else to worry about for those who play other levels!

I wouldn't risk shooting that bear with anything other than the flare gun , especially not the bow (my aim is appalling)...  But one flare in the rear seems to be instant kills for me 😁.   They've become rather temperamental even on pilgrim lately..    I can understand the higher levels keeping away from the cannery side though,the island seems to be swarming with wolves.

• 2 months later...

I believe the classic mechanics of items washing up are still operating as usual with the addition of special wash ups during blizzards. What I do find on Voyageur is that the classic mechanics wash up items now include interesting items like marine flares, MRE's, knives, saws, rifle shell casings, rifle rounds, arrows (whole and broken) and wires in addition to the usual sticks, cedar limbs, fir limbs, cloth, metal, leather, birch saplings and maple saplings.  Even if I don't want the items (like cattail heads) I am sure to take them or at least move them to allow something else to spawn.

Post blizzard items can include just about everything you find in the game except the highest tier clothing and heavy hammers. My most recent lucky find was Maple Syrup.

After the last blizzard in CH I found the special wash up items in suitcases, lockers, etc but the classic mechanic items were missing - pointing to them being triggered separately.

In CH after intensive beach combing over 300 days I have a huge surplus of hatchets, knives, saws, marine flares, maple saplings and birch saplings.  Over 40 found rifle shell casings will make the trip to the ammunition work bench more productive.  Diligent searching has added about 20 rifle rounds to my inventory.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:05 PM, Pencil said:

I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone figured out if fishing boats spawn in Interloper?

I had 2 or 3 of them spawn before the Cooking update but they were all empty. Been in CH for about 3 ingame weeks to beachcomb and stack up on lantern oil and after every blizzard (typically onie in two days) i picked up the washed stuff. Found loads of stuff but didnt see the boat. Didnt get the red toolbox either. Before the update i got like 4  in one ingame week. 

• Like 1