Beachcombing Part 2 - What have you found?

hozz1235

Interesting thread ...

I've never really Beach-Combed, because I'm terrified of the cracking ice (I absolutely detest FM for this reason) and if I take off footwear and socks/pants, half the time I forget to put them back on!

But after reading here, I decided to give it a try, as I am just starting a new Pilgrim run and spawned in DP -- then quickly went to CH to establish a base in Quonset. 

In CH -- have found pretty much everything mentioned here ... with the exception of canoes/rowboats or the big boat. I have found quite a few fish, but they're floating in mid-air & also had a floating flare -- maybe the boats are invisible for me??

(X-Box 1 -- Pilgrim)

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, hozz1235 said:

Almost makes me wonder if there are multiple loot tables which "cycle".  I find that unlikely though.

I believe you may be correct about cycling.  After searching the entire CH coast over a period of 8 blizzards I found hatchets next to an overturned canoe but no other tools.  The last 2-3 blizzards have produced hunting knives and hacksaws - if I recall 3 of each - when none were found before.  Over that same 8 blizzard period red and blue flares were common - now they are unusual as if they have been replaced by other others that themselves become temporarily common.

One constant item is intact and broken arrows.  I am piling up so many arrowheads I won't ever need to forge any on this run.

So far I have found two Frozen Angler books.  As I am at Fishing 5 I would like to see the reading material cycle to Gunsmithing and Advanced Guns-Guns-Guns.

7 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Desolation this morning....1 cat tail, 1 dear carcass (presuming it wasn't a wolf kill,and one suitcase with a ragged hat and a decent wind jacket.  Should there be more than what I'm getting?  

Its very random. Sometimes you get a Day with just Carcasses, Sticks, Fish and maybe a bit Cloth. And on other Days there are Marine Flares, Boots/Leather, there can be a Ship with Flaregun and/or Flare Shells, Toolboxes and depending on Difficulty, lots of Hatchets. Sometimes i had even 3 Saplings in one round, which is amazing for Bow users, while on other Days, theres nothing useful.

Also i had the impression that after one or more rounds with great loot, there will be low quality spawns for the next Days.

After the first round when i tested it right after the Patch, Loot became worse after like 5 or a bit more Days. Then i spent alot of Time in ML and recently starting the Tale on my Loper, after going to PV Signal, i did a few Rounds on Beachcombing again, and again there was some high quality loot.

Im very sure that theres a internal cooldown on it.

16 minutes ago, Shadox said:

Its very random. Sometimes you get a Day with just Carcasses, Sticks, Fish and maybe a bit Cloth. And on other Days there are Marine Flares, Boots/Leather, there can be a Ship with Flaregun and/or Flare Shells, Toolboxes and depending on Difficulty, lots of Hatchets. Sometimes i had even 3 Saplings in one round, which is amazing for Bow users, while on other Days, theres nothing useful.

Also i had the impression that after one or more rounds with great loot, there will be low quality spawns for the next Days.

After the first round when i tested it right after the Patch, Loot became worse after like 5 or a bit more Days. Then i spent alot of Time in ML and recently starting the Tale on my Loper, after going to PV Signal, i did a few Rounds on Beachcombing again, and again there was some high quality loot.

Im very sure that theres a internal cooldown on it.

I admit I haven't done much beachcombing but those weren't much better than this one either,they were just mostly variations of wood.  I'll just have to keep checking then I suppose. I don't really spend much time in the beach maps but I'll stay in coastal for a few more days. Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I've only ever done beachcombing a few times in Coastal Highway but that was before the update. The ice cracking put me off a bit as I didn't think falling through the ice was worth the risk of getting a few small items but I know its been updated now to maybe even have a boat wash up.

I'm back in Coastal Highway now for the first time since I started a new save so I'm going to give beachcombing a go when I get settled in and see what I find and I'll post my findings on here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I admit I haven't done much beachcombing but those weren't much better than this one either,they were just mostly variations of wood.  I'll just have to keep checking then I suppose. I don't really spend much time in the beach maps but I'll stay in coastal for a few more days. Thanks.

You were BC after a blizzard, right?

The loot cycling continues for me at CH (Voyageur run).  The last few blizzards have produced 50 or more matches - 10, 12 or 20 at a time - found usually within backpacks.  Toques and Quality Tools too numerous to mention. Best clothing lately has been climbing socks in repairable condition and a Military Coat.  Lets hope the clothes cycling eventually tosses an Expedition Parka or Gauntlets onto the shore.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling

22 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Unless you're on pilgrim then you shouldn't have long to wait for one 😁.  Apparently there's some good loot to be had.

Yes I am playing in pilgrim, I like to not have to worry about wolf or bear attacks, I have played in stalker too but there is just as much loot. Interloper is just too much of a chore for me trying to stay warm and all that, I just like to relax and enjoy the game.

I stated in Pleasant Valley and I had no blizzards but when I went to Mystery Lake I had four blizzards, I had one in Forlorn Muskeg and I have had only one blizzard in Coastal Highway and I was inside when it happened.

I'm now just about to leave the Abandoned Mine No. 5 to go to Desolation Point so I'll get some beachcombing done there too.

Before I leave Coastal Highway I beachcombed once more and found one each of, Cedar Firewood,  Green Maple Sapling, Stick, Scrap Metal, Cat Tail Stalk.

7 minutes ago, Lone Walker said:

Yes I am playing in pilgrim, I like to not have to worry about wolf or bear attacks, I have played in stalker too but there is just as much loot. Interloper is just too much of a chore for me trying to stay warm and all that, I just like to relax and enjoy the game.

I stated in Pleasant Valley and I had no blizzards but when I went to Mystery Lake I had four blizzards, I had one in Forlorn Muskeg and I have had only one blizzard in Coastal Highway and I was inside when it happened.

I'm now just about to leave the Abandoned Mine No. 5 to go to Desolation Point so I'll get some beachcombing done there too.

Before I leave Coastal Highway I beachcombed once more and found one each of, Cedar Firewood,  Green Maple Sapling, Stick, Scrap Metal, Cat Tail Stalk.

I'm pilgrim too... Every time I'm near a beach I don't get blizzards!😁. I'm usually as far away as you can get,like ash canyon.  If you beachcombed after a blizzard you should be getting something more than that...  Being indoors shouldn't affect your chance of some of the new loot on the beach.  

I know I haven't done much but I did at least find a couple of new things. 

Edited by Leeanda

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm pilgrim too... Every time I'm near a beach I don't get blizzards!😁. I'm usually as far away as you can get,like ash canyon.  If you beachcombed after a blizzard you should be getting something more than that...  Being indoors shouldn't affect your chance of some of the new loot on the beach.  

I know I haven't done much but I did at least find a couple of new things. 

I've only beachcombed twice in Coastal Highway, I'll do some more when I get back to Coastal Highway.

I did check the beach that is beside Waterfront Cottages on my way to Commuter's Lament but there was nothing washed up.

Its always nice to find some new things as its better than nothing. I hope to find a boat washed up.

1 minute ago, Lone Walker said:

I've only beachcombed twice in Coastal Highway, I'll do some more when I get back to Coastal Highway.

I did check the beach that is beside Waterfront Cottages on my way to Commuter's Lament but there was nothing washed up.

Its always nice to find some new things as its better than nothing. I hope to find a boat washed up.

I'd like to see the boat too. But you're right ,any loot is good😊

So far I have binge beach combed CH after 20 or so blizzards over a 50 day period - playing Voyageur. Some locations repopulate with loot even without blizzards.

The boat has appeared three times.  First time loaded with loot.  Second and third times contained just fish and a can of sardines.

Loot item variety is extensive.  Below is a list of items that DID NOT appear, subject to change as they may yet appear:

- Weapons - NO bows, revolvers, rifles or flare guns;

- Clothing - NO expedition parkas, gauntlets, wool ear wraps, cowichan sweaters, fishermans sweaters, combat pants, snow pants or balaclavas;

- Materials - NO metal, lead pieces, dusting sulfur, stump remover, gun cleaning kits, bedrolls, mag lens, lanterns, pots, gunpowder, acclerants or car barreries, 

- Equipment - NO heavy hammers, can openers, sewing kits, prybars or ropes, 

- Food - NO coffee or tea

One conclusion is that broken arrows are so common via beach combing that I won't need to go forging to make them on Voyageur.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blizzard Walker said:

So far I have binge beach combed CH after 20 or so blizzards over a 50 day period - playing Voyageur. Some locations repopulate with loot even without blizzards.

The boat has appeared three times.  First time loaded with loot.  Second and third times contained just fish and a can of sardines.

Loot item variety is extensive.  Below is a list of items that DID NOT appear, subject to change as they may yet appear:

- Weapons - NO bows, revolvers, rifles or flare guns;

- Clothing - NO expedition parkas, gauntlets, wool ear wraps, cowichan sweaters, fishermans sweaters, combat pants, snow pants or balaclavas;

- Materials - NO metal, lead pieces, dusting sulfur, stump remover, gun cleaning kits, bedrolls, mag lens, lanterns, pots, gunpowder, acclerants or car barreries, 

- Equipment - NO heavy hammers, can openers, sewing kits, prybars or ropes, 

- Food - NO coffee or tea

One conclusion is that broken arrows are so common via beach combing that I won't need to go forging to make them on Voyageur.

Thanks for your info gathering washed items, there are various items spawning on your list, albeit rare at the point of most people think it's impossible to get.

Revolvers can spawn very rarely on containers, as well as ammo. 

Flare guns and flare shells are incredible rare but possible, even on Interloper!

Metal pieces becomed more common recently, i think HTL have touched a bit the system without noticing the players. Quality tools are rare now.

All clothing pieces avaliable on Interloper but the ear wool wraps are avaliable via beachcombing. Containers can even have flight jackets, combat pants and other mid-tier clothing. Im not sure if items like the fisherman sweeters can spawn on lower settings, but it's likely.

Im gathering info to write a detailed table on the Wiki, but since loot tables are confusing and unbalanced right now, im gonna wait a bit more for later patches.

18 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I can't believe I just found a full box of matches on interloper.  Needless to say this changes things a bit.  Not saying it's bad, necessarily.

It's very very rare anyways, almost a 0.1%. Marine flares are relatively common, giving the player an additional renewable fire source.

However, I think it's a good change. Fire have been renewable for eons thanks to the maglens, now we have more options, albeit very limited for the rarity of items washing.

• Upvote 1

Got some more beachcombing done. On Pilgrim.

In Desolation Point I found Green Birch Sapling, Cloth, Stick, Ruined Coho Salmon Raw, Scrap Metal

I'm now back in Coastal Highway and decided to check the beach near Misanthrope's Homestead on my way back to Quonset Garage and I found Cat Tail Head, Green Birch Sapling, Stick, Reclaimed Wood.

I'm now back in Mystery Lake soon to be going to Ash Canyon then Timberwolf Mountain Summit so won't be beachcombing for a while.

On 4/27/2023 at 6:46 PM, Glacia said:

It's very very rare anyways, almost a 0.1%. Marine flares are relatively common, giving the player an additional renewable fire source.

However, I think it's a good change. Fire have been renewable for eons thanks to the maglens, now we have more options, albeit very limited for the rarity of items washing.

There's too many matches on Loper loot levels in general and now you are getting them here too...