Where do you plan to place a base in the Airfield map?

This is for those who likes to have a base on each map like me. Before visiting the map I thought the airfield will be no brainer. Then I got to the airfield and thought: Resources incredible, but it is not a home. Then I saw Mindfull and Drift cabin. Scenery is incredible (if one can see more then 2m, which is not guaranteed on this map). Then I found Justys Hovel. I think it will be my choice. It is not far from the airfield should I need some crafting. It feels cosy.

On the other hand, maybe I should create semi-bases from all cabins and from the hangar as well. Just leave some food, water and basic materials everywhere. So there is no problem just go out lightly and find a good place to spend a night.

• Upvote 2

I really like the Mindful Cabin, but its too far from everything. I also want cozy bases, thats why i always pick jackrabbit instead of quonset as Base in CH. Living in the Hangar is not an option.

Currently i rather view the BR Hunting Lodge as TFT Outpost, since its in a old region and like halfway between FA and my main Base, Trappers Hut.

If i had to pick a FA Base, id probably go for Island Cabin. It has the same cozy feel like Mindful Cabin, but its close to fishing, and closer to the Hangar for crafting or getting rid of insomnia without herbal tea.

Edit: one Advantage that Mindful Cabin has over drifters is that theres a road outside that leads to the airfield and that trailer near the FA Entrance, which makes navigation through the map very easy even if you have dense fog. Might help those people having trouble with lots of fog in FA.

Edited by Shadox
  • Upvote 1

Brittle Cave is a better base than Island Cabin, imho. The key for long term living in FA are the bears; both Island and Mindful are within striking distance of the two bears on the map, but so is Brittle Cave of the bear that lives under the big pile of rocks close to the downed helicopter that's not Final Approach; and there's better hunting around Brittle Cave than there is around Island Cabin. The one fishing cabin is also close to it. There's also a cave close to Justy's Hovel (Rusty Shovel? ;)) which looks like a good possibility, but I've not yet spent the time in it to know if the hunting near it is any good. The paucity of caves on the other side of the map near Mindful make living on that side of the map a lot dodgier imho, as caves generally make better dwellings than cabin, esp. cabins that only have potbelly stoves with their sole cooking surfaces. I have some more exploring to do around there... there's the flash flood cave but it's a little remote from the hunting compared to Brittle on the other side of the lake. I'm hoping I may have yet to find another cave on the Mindful side of the map that will be nice and close to the herds of deer that congregate in the wooded area near the foot of the cliff over there.

It's kind of too bad that there are no caves anywhere on the high pass... pretty much no good shelter at all up there.

• Upvote 1

I've laid my stuff out at the Airfield Hangar. It is miles away from being homely, but I'm not really considering it as a "primary base camp" yet, my current playthrough is migrating through the vanilla maps and will return to The Far Territory when it's bigger to try my hand at a permanent base deeper in. My thought process is:

• It has a Forge, which will be useful for converting time, scrap metal, fuel and food into productive time working on tools!
  • Basement for fighting Insomnia, for what it's worth
  • Serves as an "exit stop" for the entire Far Territory as a whole, with the one-way cliff shortcut leading out of The Far Territory being so close nearby.
  • With the safehouse customisation features coming in future, I expect that at least some of the Airfield Hangar's issues as a home could be mitigated. At bare minimum, you could definitely make it feel more like a proper home

I view the actual Airport as a place to go to do certain things. I've actually been doing my worktable stuff at Junker's rather than in the airport. I've had insomnia a few times now because I've spent the vast majority of my time a long way away from it. The basement being the only place to avoid glimmer fog means ... I don't try to avoid glimmer fog, I just take the insomnia. It's not a very harsh affliction, has almost zero affect basically, so other than it hampering condition recovery somewhat it might as well not be there. That, of course, may not be so good when I return to my personal custom setup, but right now I'm playing Voyageur because I need to get the stim plus blizzard badges (esp blizzard badge because the wind thing sounds pretty sweet) so I'm playing one of the built-in difficulties. The reason for that is the only condition recovery in my preferred custom is low recovery while sleeping; in this context insomnia could turn into a real problem.

The airport, though... good place to visit if I need to make something, and totally worth looting because there's TONS of stuff there, but ... not a place to live. The hunting close by is not really that good; there are other places on the map with much better hunting, and the size of the place (FA should stand for Freakin' Astronormous) means that it really takes too long to travel from the airport to where the good hunting is and back again; there are other places to live closer by.

• Upvote 1

Between the hangar and the cave underneath Justy's, there is usually a herd of deers and does. From the cave itself, if you go north on the big frozen pond, there are 2 rabbits' spots. Finally, at Justy's, just behind the cabin, there is a rabbit's hole, and there is another one if you head for the rope. In between the cave and Justy's Hovel, there are only 2 wolves patrolling, easy to deter or eliminate.

So, Justy's Hovel seems fine enough, with the cave just down the cliff (spawning some coal over time), the deer herd grazing between there and the Hangar, several rabbits' spots nearby (you can even go as far as the hunter's blind if you want more rabbits without wolves). More than enough to eat from!

On a side note, you need light to craft arrow shafts but crafting arrows in the basement can be done without any light... I can't remember if it was the same before...

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty fine at the Hangar. That is, after I managed to not freeze inside of it (custom game with mostly Interloper settings). Contrary to what people say, there is actually good hunting (rabbits on the track, deer nearby in the back) and it's easy to get to Drifter's Island avoiding the predators. But I agree that it's a bit boring to keep walking from the storage to the bed to the door outside where you can make your fires, and learning how to reach the underground workbench without light was a PitA (thank gods I found a lantern). If safehouse customization would be only what the Movable Containers mod does, I'd be happy already.

But yeah, Midnful Cabin is the nicest spot of the map. I just with I had more reasons to stay around there.

Mindful Cabin and Justy's won't feed you long on Loper.

Hangar area and Island Cabin has plenty of rabbits, and fishing at Island Cabin. For longer term, that's the better choice.

Another consideration: how far to a warm outdoor cave too sleep off Cabin Fever. Not good at Mindful Cabin.

-t

Assuming that the Transfer Pass is going to be a hub to many future expansion pass locations... I've set up a base there. Cozy, deer nearby and hopefully at a very central spot for future regions. I don't really see myself making a base in the airfield from what I've heard about the fog, and sheer size of the region. But I haven't been there yet so we'll see. Only downside is no workbench.

Love the view from Island Cottage.  Put a chair on the porch with some sippin' whiskey...  Good view of my rabbit snares below.

Mindful Cabin has an awesome view as well.  And I do like the idea of a loft.  Bigger porch.  Harder to get to.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 2

On 1/17/2023 at 5:33 AM, acada said:

Right? And about the hangar. Is it just me? I think walking from wall to wall inside takes more time inside than outside. When we had just small buildings, it was negligible. But in hangar I use autowalk.

Makes sense though - hangars need LOTS of room.

Island cabin most of the time. I store my crafting materials at the hanger because if I am going there, it is to craft. I actually go to the Final Approach to get rid of cabin fever so, I can hunt the nearby bear and moose. Thats pretty much my loop. Drift Island to pass the time, Final Approach to Hunt and get rid of cabin fever, the hanger to craft, go back to Final Approach to pick up the meat I left behind, and go back to the island.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...