House rules

Salty Crackers

20 minutes ago, Sir Major M.oos.E Sr. said:

This is a nice way to play the game. I often play that way. You can stay  alive for quiet a while even well fed. If you starve yourself you could reach day 500 i think. Never tried to get that far. Thats too boring.

others things you could do are a naked run or at least no crafted clothing, collect all cracker boxes and beef jerkies, travel in any weather or goat down every rope climb ☠️

Yeah, one of the streamers I follow Turkeysteam did a cattail accounting type run on Interloper and last I heard he said there was about 1600 cattails so it can definitely take you a good ways even without hunting.

24 minutes ago, dbmurph22 said:

Yeah, great point.  Not having to wait the 20 minutes was a massive change.  Think of how much it impacts people doing Deadman runs, too.  I think it really, really affected that.  All those moments of fractional loss from temp that added up, now gone or minimized.  Not to say it's still not difficult, but having coal get going right away was a big shift.

However, I have noticed that the fire is getting hotter from the coal a bit slower?  Is that just me?

That was the most game changing thing ever because honestly other than birch bark that you can just leave your are Not sitting in front of fire and pass 20 minutes of time or on deadman start a fire way earlier.

I cant remember in which update that was in but I was pretty disapointed when I figured that out.
I dont know if the fire gets hotter slower. Never payed attention that close

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dbmurph22 said:

Yeah, one of the streamers I follow Turkeysteam did a cattail accounting type run on Interloper and last I heard he said there was about 1600 cattails so it can definitely take you a good ways even without hunting.

I guess the amout of cattails is somewhat correct. Never counted them. Also there are around 90 cans, 15 boxes of crackers, 30 packs of jerky and chips, hundreds of teas and some coffee. You only have to loot everything very quick

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, dbmurph22 said:

Yeah I don't do the scare preds from carcasses tactic - I've seen it done, but I've never felt like I should do it.  

13 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Waving away wolves with stones .... yeah, I see that being stupid. 

But yeah, in the end: everyone plays their game 😉

A lot of the animal behavior in this game is kinda silly but that is actually a legit strategy 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

YOU REMOVED CABIN FEVER LOL!!!!!!

“I removed health recovery while standing but I can just wait inside indefinitely til can rest when tired” lol. 
  Yeah. I guess that’s Basically interloper hahaha. 

It still takes over a week to recover from a bear mauling. Even if I enabled cabin fever, I could just wait a week in a cave with top-tier clothing without cabin fever risk at all. My thinking is that of your character is willingly living in a cave out of fear of going crazy indoors, they're probably already crazy. 

I just wanted to get rid of the single most annoying thing to micromanage in the game. Hibernation as a strategy was big back when I first started playing, when there were still public leaderboards for days survived. My goal isn't to get to an arbitrary number of days survived, but to explore the world and actually enjoy my time surviving.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir Major M.oos.E Sr. said:

This is a nice way to play the game. I often play that way. You can stay  alive for quiet a while even well fed. If you starve yourself you could reach day 500 i think. Never tried to get that far. Thats too boring.

others things you could do are a naked run or at least no crafted clothing, collect all cracker boxes and beef jerkies, travel in any weather or goat down every rope climb ☠️

Also cool - thanks a lot for your reply 👍😀

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
5 hours ago, dbmurph22 said:

Oh wow. Assuming a daily calorie average of 3000 (which might be a bit low, I admit) that's 53 days worth of food to live on cattails alone.

2 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

My thinking is that of your character is willingly living in a cave out of fear of going crazy indoors, they're probably already crazy. 

Best argument against Cabin Feaver I've heard in a long time :D

• 2 weeks later...

my house rules:

• always crouch when i go examine a corpse, or harvest carcasses, or read (assuming that the survivor is kneel or sit), and other similar activities

• never use ridiculous goating

• don't grind for skills; make it progress with natural use, or read books

• only prepare teas / cook food when i need it

• use tinder plugs/cattails (when available) even after fire skill 3

there must have some others, but i can't remember at the moment.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2021 at 6:33 AM, PiterZ said:

I really liked this thread. I am impressed with all your ideas. They are really very inspiring. I've been going to play Interloper level for a while without even creating a bow. Only eat what I find. Don't hunt for anything - not even poor rabbits :). To live in peace with nature - without killing. I would only kill time :) Or play as a total vegetarian - not eating meat at all - even canned fish :) And then see how long I will live on the Interloper level :)
I have to play that sometime. Or maybe some of you have already tried to play like that?

I think somebody once counted all the cattails that you can harvest playing on Interloper.  It accounted for an incredible amount of calories iirc.  
The Vegan Challenge, that would be a good self imposed challenge regardless of difficulty level.  Can't eat meat and cannot craft any clothing using animal skins.
Have you tried playing this way yourself?  I might give that a whirl next time I'm feeling bored with the game.

• Like 1

I have a way less idealistic approach than most in this thread, my house rules:

- don't play custom settings except for exploring a new region
- don't explore a new region the first time on a run that matters
- use whatever the game gives you to survive
- don't bore yourself to death

I never even realized until this thread though - or I've simply forgotten it - that with cooking at 5 you can eat ruined food lol. I left a good amount of calories rot, which I won't from now on. This skill is the single most important for me because it allows me to put wolf and bear on the menu plan but I never forced leveling it with micro amounts of cooking (rule nr 4).

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
23 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

I never even realized until this thread though - or I've simply forgotten it - that with cooking at 5 you can eat ruined food lol.

This took me ages to figure out as well. And, frankly, I think it just shouldn't be a thing. Cooking V is op as freeze anyways.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:31 PM, piddy3825 said:

I think somebody once counted all the cattails that you can harvest playing on Interloper.  It accounted for an incredible amount of calories iirc.  
The Vegan Challenge, that would be a good self imposed challenge regardless of difficulty level.  Can't eat meat and cannot craft any clothing using animal skins.
Have you tried playing this way yourself?  I might give that a whirl next time I'm feeling bored with the game.

Hey Survivor,
I've never tried to play like that before, but I have to try sometime. Then I will let you know ❤

On 12/26/2021 at 9:32 PM, jeffpeng said:

This took me ages to figure out as well. And, frankly, I think it just shouldn't be a thing. Cooking V is op as freeze anyways.

I fully agree with you my friend.
In my humble opinion, the more spoiled the food, the less calories it should have.
food with 0% condition. 
it should contain at most 10 calories.

Guest jeffpeng
8 hours ago, PiterZ said:

In my humble opinion, the more spoiled the food, the less calories it should have.
food with 0% condition. 
it should contain at most 10 calories.

Actually an interesting concept - but then again a lot of food spawns at relatively low condition anyways, and when I eat a bar of chocolate 10 days past due date I'm pretty sure it makes me just as fat. So .... yeah, but actually no.

I mean there is a working mechanic in the game that disincentivizes consuming spoiled food if at all possible. You have to be in real dire straits to roll the dice on 5% or even 0% sardines. But with Cooking V said mechanic is just disabled, even it doesn't even say that on the label. Personally I still think that this got into the game unintentionally, and then they just kept it there, just as much as eating spoiled food is something you can't do from the radial menu, but from the inventory it works.

I think the reason for that is that they don't want to anger existing players by removing this in all likelihood accidental mechanic. And there is even good reason for that as other games have been "fixed to death" before. It's sorta lose-lose-rock-and-a-hard-place-kind of situation.

Edited by jeffpeng

6 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Actually an interesting concept - but then again a lot of food spawns at relatively low condition anyways, and when I eat a bar of chocolate 10 days past due date I'm pretty sure it makes me just as fat. So .... yeah, but actually no.

I mean there is a working mechanic in the game that disincentivizes consuming spoiled food if at all possible. You have to be in real dire straits to roll the dice on 5% or even 0% sardines. But with Cooking V said mechanic is just disabled, even it doesn't even say that on the label. Personally I still think that this got into the game unintentionally, and then they just kept it there, just as much as eating spoiled food is something you can't do from the radial menu, but from the inventory it works.

I think the reason for that is that they don't want to anger existing players by removing this in all likelihood accidental mechanic. And there is even good reason for that as other games have been "fixed to death" before. It's sorta lose-lose-rock-and-a-hard-place-kind of situation.

Before Cooking V I eat as much food below 20% as possible immediately before bed, as long as I have antibiotics. No matter how many instances of food poisoning you get, you only need 2 antibiotics and 10 hours of sleep to cure it, and you lose no condition while sleeping. There isn't much of a point in conserving antibiotics as the only use after Cooking V is treating Infection, which is very easy to prevent that late in the game.

If really desperate, this also works on raw meat and fish, which can cause food poisoning even after Cooking V (but raw predator meat will give you a TON of parasites risk, so don't eat it under any circumstance!)

Guest jeffpeng

You don't lose any condition sleeping off treated with antibiotics - but you don't regain any either. If you don't need that - well, fine.

2 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

You don't lose any condition sleeping off treated with antibiotics - but you don't regain any either. If you don't need that - well, fine.

I play with healing during sleep disabled, so I never noticed. Still a viable strategy, but if you really need the condition back, just wait until you're healthier.

• 2 weeks later...