There will be blood

Drifter Man

On 10/3/2021 at 3:39 AM, Drifter Man said:

I agree that 6 (in my case only 5) arrows are not enough... I was out of options, so I had to kill it with whatever I had. I like the bag, but I got mine from the Signal Fire and it only asks for a piece of leather once in a year or so. And I prefer the Bear Coat to the cloak. For meat, I'd rather hunt 4 deer than 1 moose - for the same usage of arrows and the same amount of meat, but with much less risk. But in BI I may need to change some habits.

Oh aye, one does what one must to survive.

I actually use the moose cloak over the bear coat when I get into the end game; I have cold set to max in the special settings and the two of them work well together, not least because the rate of decay of the bear coat on the inner slot is INCREDIBLY LOW (0.033%/day) and the moose cloak takes it much better than the bear coat when wolf/bear/moose struggles happen. Also, the ability to harvest and remake the cloak to 100% condition with four gut and "sixteen point six six six ... repeating of course" hours is ... pretty darn sweet.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:52 AM, Drifter Man said:

I notice an interesting phenomenon: blizzard without snow. Then I realize that it only happens when I am at the cave exit (which is a transition to another region). When I leave the exit zone, the snow reappears.

I've noticed that too, and not just there. It's kind of a bug, no doubt about it; I think I understand why it happens but I'm sure it's not an intentional effect. You can see the effect in normal caves too. However, not game breaking, just immersion breaking.

I submitted a bug about it a long time ago; I'll be looking to see if it gets fixed when the new update drops on Wednesday. I have a couple other long-standing ones in that I'm going to be checking out when the new version lands on my machine.

On 10/5/2021 at 6:08 AM, stratvox said:

I actually use the moose cloak over the bear coat when I get into the end game; I have cold set to max in the special settings and the two of them work well together, not least because the rate of decay of the bear coat on the inner slot is INCREDIBLY LOW (0.033%/day) and the moose cloak takes it much better than the bear coat when wolf/bear/moose struggles happen. Also, the ability to harvest and remake the cloak to 100% condition with four gut and "sixteen point six six six ... repeating of course" hours is ... pretty darn sweet.

Those are great points. In regions with mild weather (ML, CH, DP) you don't need the warmest clothes and the moose cloak can actually be quite economical.

Considering you can rebuild it from itself, investing exactly 16.6666660 hours (I think Unity works in single precision). It is amazing how much research they put into getting such an accurate estimate of the time needed to make a moose coat.

• Upvote 1

Day 815

Trip to Camp Office and back for arrows. ML is very wolfy today, wolves on all sides of Camp Office. It's a howling fest. I grab my 7 spare arrows I did not have space for when I left for BI the first time.

I get caught in a blizzard on the way back to Trapper's.

Day 816

With a can of gunpowder, 9 kg of scrap lead and 50 empty cartridges, I return to BI via FM in good weather.

D816_FM.thumb.jpg.fc39dab5dc6bbebd950a39693cf3b579.jpg

I bring the good weather to BI and use it to do a bit of exploration before nightfall. The winds and snow set in quickly. I stay too long and burn two moose steaks on my fire near the cave.

Day 817

More exploration in the direction of the Ravine's End Waterfall. I find a cave - probably the one that is too far from the Cannery for Aurora runs. I find a gunsmithing book, my fourth. That's great, it will get me halfway to Level 4. Also, a bottle of painkillers. Expired, of course.

D817_Cave.thumb.jpg.f3307e044d5b5aaddab44a27a7756ebd.jpg

My map is showing a corpse that I can't find, until I notice a ledge high above. I don't know how to get there. Perhaps from the other side, from the Ravine entry?

• Upvote 2

Days 818-820

The weather only allows me to work for short periods of time, usually in the evening. Winds rarely slow down - and I have the feeling that BI wind have some windchill "bonus" that makes them colder - even if the wind looks tolerable from my experience from other regions. I think I am able to find reasonably good locations for sheltered fires, but few of my fires survived more than one hour in BI. Feeding them stick by stick does not seem to work, either.

The cold is punishing. Without fire, I run a lot, which saves me condition and leaves me exhausted at the end of the day, so that I can recover over a 10-hour sleep. It is risky, though: I wouldn't want to run into T-wolves in exhausted state.

In these conditions I explored much of this end of the Frozen Delta. I found a second hunting blind, with a deer carcass nearby, a ruined bedroll (good source of cloth) and more empty cartridges. A pack of T-wolves operated on a nearby island. I take care to avoid them.

D818_Blind2.thumb.jpg.927964cc779f3210e5362b023a33f03b.jpg

D818_Inlet.thumb.jpg.7a250fe3dae5b78efa765a62e3277cc6.jpg

Days 821-822

I'm done here and it is time to move to the next cave - the one I found after leaving the trailer on Day 809. I do it in two days: first haul of non-smelly things (mainly scrap lead), second haul with the rest of the moose, which is running out anyway. The weather makes every effort to slow me down, but the T-wolves leave me in peace. Apart from them and some cattails, I see nothing to eat in this corner of the map.

I find the third blind near my new cave, so I should have them all now. Some more empty cartridges...

D822_Blind3.thumb.jpg.d03d36e832d84d2ef1cb065b473d8038.jpg

• Upvote 2

Day 823

I run a fire in the morning, making water and waiting for warmer weather. I eat the last moose steak and climb a nearby hill to look for food. Nothing in sight. The weather gets worse.

In the afternoon in leave towards the third blind. My old campfire reminds me of my encounter with T-wolves a couple days ago - I should watch out, but they are not here today. Strong winds force me back.

Eventually I climb a high hill in the evening - possibly the highest peak in the area that I can reach. I find a dead campfire on the hilltop. There's a pack with 58% MRE - the only edible food, along with salty crackers, that I can still find on day 800+. This is great, it should put off starvation until tomorrow. Plus there is a cold cup of coffee. 800 days old, but who cares. I put it in my backpack.

D823_Hilltop.thumb.jpg.5909bc42a43d33ebd0bad79ac5518770.jpg

I start a fire sheltered by rocks and tree trunks and warm up. I collect sticks and take a look around. I find a wooden bridge under the hill - I do not notice anything else as the trees obscure the view, but the charcoal map reveals trailers there.

D823_Hilltop2.thumb.jpg.c8e1a1165021296c9878c77d47a1ff56.jpg

I warm up again and decide to go down there to the trailers for the night. I am not leaving anything critical at the cave - I am out of food anyway, save for the emergency reserve of cattails and crackers I always carry on me.

D823_Trailers.thumb.jpg.fb5d820f7e31723426c137b2d9bfcd6d.jpg

The trailers have some loot - a red flare and a hatchet, plus there is a fair amount of cloth in pillows and old bedrolls. I don't need cloth now, but in the long run it is a valuable and finite resource.

I take a look in the direction of the sea. There is an island but I am not sure if the ice can be crossed. Some T-wolves patrol between the cannery and the island, so perhaps it is accessible.

• Upvote 2

Day 824

OK - there is only one source of food, the T-wolves, so let's do it. I go to the cannery, approaching from the highway, and see them patrolling right next to the fence. I start a fire between two trailers first, to warm up. Even in this terrible weather it turns out to be one of my most successful fires so far in BI - it takes about 4 hours before the wind eventually finds a way to kill it.

D824_fire.thumb.jpg.a5cb6a9c8d04b787cb6d532937ddbe70.jpg

Then I go after the wolves. Unfortunately, this time I am pretty bad with the rifle. I end up firing 7 rounds and 2 arrows to kill them - and only two die on the spot, the other two run away. I'll never find them. I need the food, so I make a fire next to one carcass. I get enough time to get the meat out and cook two steaks - starvation averted - then the wind turns around and the fire is extinguished. In desperation, I carve out the meat out of the other carcass without fire. I take a heavy condition hit, but at least I have a supply of raw meat.

D824_Twolf_carcass.thumb.jpg.326a55b954cac0a048c0a03f86601fd4.jpg

I return to the trailers for the night.

Day 825

A blizzard rages long into the afternoon. I eat cattails from my emergency reserve to push off starvation, although I consider letting myself starve again. Eventually the blizzard ends and I return to the cannery. First, I search it for a safe place for a fire - ideally a fire barrel. Nope. Not a single one. Is there no way to burn a safe fire in here? In the end I start a partially sheltered fire and cook some meat. While it is cooking, I take another look around and find a trailer. Great - I can stay here for the night.

D825_Cannery.thumb.jpg.0ef6e2acbdebe77335dcb0b5ff4a401d.jpg

I continue cooking and making water into the night, even after the Aurora lights the sky. The wind reduces the fire but I am able to feed it stick by stick. Meanwhile I roam the area and search it. I continue even after the fire goes out (I keep a few sticks to be able to start another, otherwise I have spent them all), returning to the trailer for warmth. Eventually I find the famous rope - or at least I think it's the rope that leads to the workshop. After a brief hesitation, I climb up. I end up in an office and can go out on a roof, but I am not sure where it ends.

The Aurora is ending - it is foggy now. I am freezing. Enough for tonight. I return to the rope and jump down - I don't see why they couldn't make this climb a two-way one. As I run back to the trailer, I end up nose to nose with a T-wolf. The pack must have spawned while I was up there. It howls, calling its friends. I fire several shots from the revolver - one hits. This clears the way to the trailer. I run to the door, but another T-wolf blocks the way. A struggle ensues. I choose the revolver - they say it is very effective on Level 5 - and yes, the fight ends quickly and I take little damage. As soon as I get up, I open the door to the trailer. Safe for now.

Man, I am so tired of this region. Let me just get this over with and get out of here. I want to chart it, search for resources, and get out. Only return to do repairs or make ammo. This place is uninhabitable: horrible weather, no shelter, no way to keep a fire going for longer than 30 minutes, no food, and wolves spawning on you out of nowhere.

• Upvote 2

Day 826

I sleep until midday - this has become my routine in BI lately, to make the best use of the relatively warmer afternoons and night Aurorae. I leave the trailer, crouched, expecting the remaining three T-wolves lined up and ready to attack me. Instead I just hear one wolf die nearby (the one I shot last night). I tiptoe to my food stash and start cooking. Soon I see a T-wolf patrolling the yard. I kill it with the bow. When I go over to collect the meat, another one sees me. I run back to the fire and try to ward off the attacker by firing the revolver, but I miss. I win the struggle easily with the revolver again - it is over just after it starts. It looks like it was a very good idea to wait for Level 5 before coming down here.

The wolf morale bar is still up and a while later I can hear a wolf approaching, growling. Then it suddenly runs away and the bar vanishes.

Fog descends on BI later in the day. This is a seriously rare event and must be taken advantage of, before it is gone. I check out the woods around the cannery to collect some sticks - I keep running out of fuel - and notice that the other T-wolf pack is still patrolling on the ice. I end up searching the space under the wooden jetty. I find some old clothing and also a blue toolbox, very handy - I don't have to haul one over here when I need to repair the hacksaw. I go on and run into a pair of T-wolves - probably the ones I dealt with earlier today. They howl and approach me. I start a fire and take aim at the closer one with the rifle. I expect it to charge or dodge, but it does neither and just keeps walking towards me. I pull the trigger and kill it. The remaining T-wolf runs away in panic and I get the eponymous achievement.

D826_1.thumb.jpg.e4775b18739f7f353de94680c856609f.jpg

I notice a short but very perceptible delay between the hit and the moment the wolf yelps and collapses. Seems to be a new thing, but it may also be specific to T-wolves - I haven't killed anything else lately. In any case it looks unnatural.

I have also noticed that the noise made by crows has changed. It scared me at first, before I realized it is probably something that came with the Episode 4 update. The sounds tend to sync together and become very loud. I already miss the old sound, it was so characteristic for TLD, you could hear it all the time.

Why does Hinterland keep "improving" things that are perfect? :(

Anyway, I take the meat out of the wolf carcass, cook some, then return to the trailer to warm up. The blood at the door reminds me of last night's proceedings, although I didn't bleed and neither did the wolf I fought.

D826_2.thumb.jpg.6137c0042e2757fd3648c981ab3592bf.jpg

The day ends and the Aurora appears. I want to continue exploring the cannery. I search again for the rope, at first in the wrong building. Eventually I find it and climb back to the office upstairs. From there I see only one way out - jump back down from the roof. It leads me to a safe room with a makeshift bed and a fire barrel. I notice the room is warm - felt +12C. I search it by the lights of the Aurora. Where to go from here? Some junk, including old palettes, is blocking a doorway. Maybe I have to break it down? I found an improvised hatchet in the room and I break the planks. Still no way to open the door. I check the temperature: felt +9C, around midnight. I am not comfortable sleeping here unless I start a fire in the barrel. But it is a safe place for cooking.

I go to the next room and find myself at the rope again. I return across the yard to the trailer to get some sleep. The Aurora is blinding.

D826_3.thumb.jpg.f8aaa5a3743b838acbb46d99212e2dff.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I quit the game and I don't think I'll be coming back to this again.

Bleak Inlet has been an utterly unenjoyable experience - a region designed with the intention to kill you - but I could get over that. What broke it for me was when I realized that there are triggers along the obstacle course that lead to multiple wolfpacks spawning in the yard. First one when you go up the rope - that's how the first wolfpack spawned on me a few nights ago. A second one when you jump down on the ship and go upstairs in the warehouse with the two hugging corpses on the ground floor. A third one further down the obstacle course. There may be more - I don't care. I was armed to teeth up there and I could deal with them. But they are meant to catch you up there if you aren't prepared. That's not nature's design, that's Hinterland's design 👎

I had always appreciated how TLD's nature was impartial - randomly dangerous, but paying no regard and no attention to the struggles of my little survivor. I am not interested in playing through scripted events. You can keep them in the story mode, but they have no place in the sandbox. Sandbox has always been my story and there is no reason why nature should spawn a pack of wolves to go after me when I step on a particular spot in the world.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the whole Timberwold dealio just doesn't fit in that well. While wolves do hunt in packs, this particular implementation just doesn't shake out quite right. I don't blame you.

That said, once you climb the rope, they can't touch you until you drop back down. And you get to the ammo bench/mill without having to drop back down anywhere they can path to you. I simply make a dash for the rope & safely pick them all off from "up top" areas.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, Drifter Man said:

But they are meant to catch you up there if you aren't prepared. That's not nature's design, that's Hinterland's design 

I'm not sure if your game is bugged or if you dropped to some place where you shouldn't, reading about your troubles finding the rope in the first place. But once you've made the climb you are save from T-wolves (or any predators at all), they cannot reach you on the upper levels. Yes they might spawn on the ground when you are parkouring your way to the workshop but they can never reach you. Just keep calm and make your way to the workshop - beware though:

there is usually a T-wolf inside the workshop which also seems to be more resiliant than others. Enter the workshop while crouched and with rifle in hand

I've spend more than a month in the Cannery waiting for an aurora and can provide some additional tips:

- If you have to wait for the aurora, you will miss T-wolves pretty soon because they at least provide some meat - they are easiest killed from above.

- After you've killed a few of them and are wearing the wolf coat, you will have quite some troubles killing one because they run away on sight of you and if you wound one, it will run very very far away. So approach croached and shoot to kill.

- Wood should not be a problem for a long time, there are tons of palettes worth days of fire. No palettes are blocking the way to the workshop though, guess you took a wrong turn somewhere.

When you are on the roof of the trailer, there's a plank leading to the next building in the Cannery.

- The room outside the workshop is warm enough that you can sleep through a blizzard with decent clothing, without a fire going on (at least on stalker).

Edited by ChillPlayer
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for reading and commenting. As great as the game used to be, I has been disappointing me lately. Wolves spawning out of thin air because there needs to be a "story" was the last straw and I stopped playing TLD afterwards.

Lately I have seen a shift in the game towards this kind of heavy-handed design putting the player's character at the center of the universe (in survival mode I mean). It didn't use to be like that and it made TLD special. It made me feel small in the world, insignificant, and it felt real. But I see that this TLD is gone.

I wonder which was the last version that still worked for me. It would definitely have to be before they made animals stop moving when you aren't looking at them... I still have no clue why they did that.

Anyway, thanks again and to everyone who has been following my exploits and sharing the fun in the past few years. Time to say goodbye!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, Drifter Man said:

Thanks for reading and commenting. As great as the game used to be, I has been disappointing me lately. Wolves spawning out of thin air because there needs to be a "story" was the last straw and I stopped playing TLD afterwards.

Lately I have seen a shift in the game towards this kind of heavy-handed design putting the player's character at the center of the universe (in survival mode I mean). It didn't use to be like that and it made TLD special. It made me feel small in the world, insignificant, and it felt real. But I see that this TLD is gone.

I wonder which was the last version that still worked for me. It would definitely have to be before they made animals stop moving when you aren't looking at them... I still have no clue why they did that.

Anyway, thanks again and to everyone who has been following my exploits and sharing the fun in the past few years. Time to say goodbye!

Arrrgh... the notorious @Drifter Man quitting? This cannot be real! You are one of the reasons I keep coming back to these forums. It's been a while, I have taken an unintentional break, but it's important to know that people keep returning here from the early days...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 3:58 AM, Hotzn said:

Arrrgh... the notorious @Drifter Man quitting? This cannot be real! You are one of the reasons I keep coming back to these forums. It's been a while, I have taken an unintentional break, but it's important to know that people keep returning here from the early days...

Professor @Hotzn! I can't complain I didn't get a good run for my money from TLD. I lived ~800 days in the Dam... I met Fluffy while she still was at home there... I bled out numerous times while tearing up my socks... I found my way to the top of TWM without a bedroll... I dropped the fish (bam!) on Crystal Lake... I became officially dead, then doubly dead, and then triply dead in one run of the Deadman challenge... I respectfully handed over my only pair of Combat Pants to the bear at Spruce Falls... I jumped off the Ravine rail bridge to avoid death from starvation... the list could go on.

In large part, my enjoyment of TLD has been due to the great community here, which helped me stay focused on my silly projects. And whenever the going got tough, I pictured Old Hotzn standing in the Cave of Engines, looking East... what would he do in my situation?

I hope you will stay around. I guess I'll be dropping in from time to time, too.

• Upvote 3

On 12/23/2021 at 3:16 PM, Drifter Man said:

I hope you will stay around. I guess I'll be dropping in from time to time, too.

That's great to hear! I've been following your posts since the early days of the Man in the Dam and was really sad to hear that you were quitting TLD for good. Your posts are some of the most entertaining and well-written stories on the forums, and have been for over 5 years. 

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

Oh, this totally went under my radar. 😞

Yes, there are some things I'm also not particularly fond of when it comes to some changes. My biggest gripe, personally, is with how unintuitive some mechanics work, and that you need to learn the special sauce recipe in order to succeed, while the special sauce recipe is not only not obvious, but can also change without notice. Timberwolves are their own bag problems when it comes to this, and it's for that reason Bleak Inlet at least is just not on the map. I'm taking a 35ish days Interloper to Blackrock at the moment, I fully expect to end the run there, but I want to have at least given it a shot in earnest.

Anyways: it's been a good ride. I've learned a lot from you, as I am sure many others have. Really do drop in from time to time 🙂

On 12/24/2021 at 1:16 AM, Drifter Man said:

Yes, please do. I've been on these forums 'only' since late 2018, but I have always read and enjoyed your adventures. And I'm frankly annoyed that Bleak Inlet and the stupid Timberwolves got the best of you. The community could use your expertise and guidance, and who knows, maybe in turn make you change your mind about the game. ;)

In any case, all the best and Happy New Year! :coffee:

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 1:53 AM, Drifter Man said:

Say it aint so. Although I haven't been around nearly as much since the more recent updates, you @Drifter Man will always be a big part of TLD for me. I poured over your pages of vast knowledge and wisdom and applied it to the Kegstand as my own little piece of TLD history. I guess I have fallen out of love for TLD just a bit too so I can't blame you one bit. It was always a delight to stop back in the forums every month or so and see what you were up to. Let's raise a birch bark tea together for one last time. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, jeffpeng said:

Timberwolves are their own bag problems when it comes to this, and it's for that reason Bleak Inlet at least is just not on the map. I'm taking a 35ish days Interloper to Blackrock at the moment, I fully expect to end the run there, but I want to have at least given it a shot in earnest.

I always thought the run I was describing in this thread would be my last one - but preferably a long, very long one. I had the plan to start writing about it once I am well past 1000 days. The objective was to search the whole map first, thoroughly, and achieve all there is to achieve. Then to see, what's next? What can a survivor do when there is nothing more to do, and the expiration date is still years away? But the first objective meant suffering through Bleak Inlet - a region that is, in my opinion, poorly designed from the ground up - and there I realized if I have to suffer though it, then it is not worth playing. Good luck at Blackrock!

On 12/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, jeffpeng said:

Anyways: it's been a good ride. I've learned a lot from you, as I am sure many others have. Really do drop in from time to time 🙂

On 12/31/2021 at 2:16 PM, Morrick said:

The community could use your expertise and guidance

On 1/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, Gooner77 said:

I poured over your pages of vast knowledge and wisdom and applied it to the Kegstand as my own little piece of TLD history.

I suspect I am getting way more praise than I deserve, but it is great to know so many people found my writing useful and inspiring to start their own great virtual adventures. See you around and keep warm out there :coffee:

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 8:37 AM, Drifter Man said:

I suspect I am getting way more praise than I deserve, but it is great to know so many people found my writing useful and inspiring to start their own great virtual adventures. See you around and keep warm out there :coffee:

Could a good challenge bring you back? 🙂Also love your writings 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually reading this just inspired me to go back to my 800+ run (been doing jigsaw for the last month. Got bored after doing Blackrock) and finish mapping Frozen Delta. The cold and lack of food drove me out but now I want to head out through the FM cave and find the other 2 hunters blinds and take out that moose up there. Blackrock got me used to dealing with cold and condition loss. Firewood is definitely an issue too. Maybe I will see how long I can stay there with fishing and searching for wood.

Truthfully... I always go back to TLD. I was waiting for the despawning carcass bug to be fixed to I could start a new run with some more difficult settings but I cant wait now. BI is brutal and will be some more good training for my soon to be new character. It will be Astrid this time. She is not so whiney. But she will have plenty to whine about with the new settings I am planning!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back in BI thanks to Drifter Man. My first attempt went bad. I started from my main base in CH, packed up some meat, lantern fuel and whatever else I needed and headed out to ML to get to the FM cave that would take me to the upper frozen delta which I wanted to finish mapping and bag that moose. The journey was easy. Weather was good all the way, although cold. The trestle bridge always makes my heart race but I got over it and made my way to camp office in ML. I had 2 pots sitting on the stove which I grabbed, warmed up a bit,  then headed to FM and my usual path through the marsh, which I can do in full fog or blizzard and not fall through the ice. 

After transitioning the cave, I step out into BI with brutal wind and 2 arrow down cold. The visibility is good so I decide I still have some day left and I can map from the cave entrance then go look for the other 2 hunters blinds. Mapping cost me about 20% condition loss but didn't worry me. I can still look for the cave that is supposed to be to the right of the FM transition cave. I wanted to make a camp  there. On the way I spot the moose. Great! But I don't have time for him now, need to find that cave. It's getting colder and my condition is dropping so I have to retreat back to the transition cave. While warming up I check my inventory. NO RIFLE!!! What??? I forgot to bring the rifle and bullets?!?

Feeling like a loser I head back out to ML to reconsider things. I'm low on meat after fooling around in BI with nothing accomplished, but there is some gamey raw meat waiting for me at the camp office so I grab that after warming up then head back to CH where all my bullets are. I still have time in the day so I cook up the meat and I have a full deer to feed me for the return journey. Before bed I check my storage to transfer the stuff I will need. Bullets. 12. Check. Riffle. Waiting for me at ML. Check, but dont forget dummy! 2 Pots. Also waiting at ML. Clothes in good order. Check. Matches. Check. Ok sleep and a clear but cold morning so off we go.

I make it to ML camp office as a blizzard sets in so I drop all my meat outside so it does not lose too much condition and sleep and pass time until morning. I grab the riffle and the pots and head out to FM with 2 arrow down cold but I can make it. Through the cave I warm up then it is off to find my cave. The moose is there on my way. Excellent! I sneak around him and follow the circular contour of upper frozen delta until I find the cave where I will set my camp. I have been here before but I hadn't mapped it, so I do it now while I still have some warmth.

The day is done and my stomach growls so I go to chow down a steak and WHAT?!? I left my meat at the camp office????? Damn it! I don't want to lose the well fed buff so I grab the riffle and load it with 10 rounds. Usually it takes me 6 or so to down him. I head out to find Bullwinkle and hopefully  a good spot to shoot him from. Well I find him but no good spot to shoot from. I circle around and round but I can't find any concealed spot. Should I do it or not? I hate a moose stomping and there is no out running that guy. Maybe if I crouch and sort of hide behind a tree he wont see me if I miss. My heart is pounding and my hands shaking as I raise the rifle. Yes literally. The game gets in to you. I am always careful with the rifle. Aim. Relax. Aim, adjust. Relax. Aim. BAM! I wait for the roar of rage and the running toward me and the pain that I will now endure but instead he grunts and keels over dead!

I run over and hover over my new source of meat. Checking my stats I have some heat and hunger left. There is also some day left but it is too windy to light a fire. I chance it and harvest 5k of meat. Still some day and heat. 5k more. Still good. 5 more and the hide then run back to the cave and start cooking. Eat the first steak just before losing the well fed buff.

What a nice rush! I still have one more hunters blind to map but now I have food :) BI is really brutal!

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:14 AM, Sito said:

Truthfully... I always go back to TLD. I was waiting for the despawning carcass bug to be fixed to I could start a new run with some more difficult settings but I cant wait now. BI is brutal and will be some more good training for my soon to be new character. It will be Astrid this time. She is not so whiney. But she will have plenty to whine about with the new settings I am planning!

I agree, TLD has a great "return to" potential as a game. Good luck in BI.

I tried the female survivor once, I called her Jennifer Interlopez. I abandoned that run, I couldn't get used to the voice.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I find Bleak Inlet quite enjoyable - but that's probably because I always switch Timberwolves off completely in the Custom settings.

I've encountered them in the Story Mode, but that's led directly to me not playing Story Mode at all since shortly after Episode 3 was released! I just can't be bothered with them - they only make the gameplay worse, in my opinion. But the Custom survival mode does allow you to play TLD without them, and it's still a lot of fun. It's got the same feel for me as it ever did - if I hadn't started looking at the forums again recently, I'd have forgotten that Timberwolves ever existed!

Bleak Inlet does feel a little empty, I suppose (though there is a bear). But it's still one of the more challenging regions to start out on, even without wolves.

• Like 1