Old habits don't die

PrincessAutumn

They just come back to bite you in the ass. :D

It's been a couple years since I've done this but back in my early days of playing the game if I was in a rush then I'd leave some stuff that was important/needed behind. An item that I notoriously left behind was the bedroll. The last time I did this was sometime in 2018, I was in the lobby of the upper Carter Hydro Dam and was headed to Pleasant Valley. I even checked to make sure I had everything(somehow the bedroll didn't register in my airhead brain lol) And I got going. I walked all the way to Pleasant Valley Farmstead and was doing some inventory management when I seen my bedroll missing. Son of a.. Whatever. There's beds here.

Now recently I've gotten much better with not rushing and always double checking my inventory before I go anywhere, whether it's a short trip or a long trek. In my current run, I am in Mystery Lake, I've already been to Bleak Inlet and Forlorn Muskeg. I was in the train car by the logging camp and my fatigue meter was almost at empty  and I didn't want to listen to the survivor complain about how tired she is or how heavy the pack is lol so I stayed the night. Woke up in the morning to some nice weather and I decided to get going before the game decides to slap me in the face with something. I head out and I'm not sure where I went to but when I checked my inventory, the bedroll wasn't there. -__-;; Now thankfully I wasn't in another region but still.

What are some of your moments you have forgotten things and didn't realize until later?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Oh lord mine would have to be the bedroll as well, as long as it’s not a bearskin one....those I jealously guard, as they are my trophy of vengeance and proof of survival of the affliction “bear rage”.

another is the 2L cooking pot, and cans, I lose those like kids lose buttons....

im bad about leaving animal skins behind, camp lanterns, or most pointedly the lamp oil jerrycan...I don’t think one has ever transitioned regions with me except maybe once or twice....

come to think of it, I lose everything but the guns, all of the time. Maybe I keep track of the guns better cause I’m a bayou girl lol...

ive lost those too. I’d lose my head if it wasn’t attached. Maybe that’s what the bears’ purpose is...

where was I? Can’t remember....

Tiff🦋

• Like 1

Hm, once I killed and quartered a deer in PV before heading back to the barn nearby to sleep as another blizzard was approaching, forgetting to grab my deer quarters. 

I came out the next day, and couldn't find it. Thankfully, during a brief expedition, I found it again  a few days later, but that's the last time I'll make that mistake! (I hope)

Bedrolls are also a pain. When I'm not even in a rush, they get forgotten. In the same PV run, I was sleeping outside when another blizzard hit, near whiteout standards. I stumbled towards the barn nearby, as I was sleeping outside for some reason or another. I eventually found it, my lantern nearly out of fuel. I got in and searched for a hay bed. Couldn't find one, so I grabbed my bedroll. One problem.. I rushed outside into the blizzard, hopelessly lost, and somehow found my bedroll and managed to get back in the barn with over 50% hypo risk, despite my clothing. It was disheartening to see, after the blizzard, that the long, painful walk was a few meters, in the clear morning. 

I've also had a habit of losing the can that you get in the early game. Pretty irritating, especially in sparse regions where those sort of things don't come easily. 

And that's just a few that I can remember 😂  

• Upvote 2

I'm sure I have forgotten things, but one mistake I continue to make is this:  At times, I will find a 2nd rifle to pick up (now I have 2 in inventory).  I forget to check the condition.  I come across a situation where I need to draw and fire quickly (wolf, bear, etc.)  Come to find out the rifle I picked up is in better condition that my loaded one in inventory....yup, go to draw and fire and....click.  Next thing?  S**t my pants.

• Like 1

During Winter's Embrace I forgot to bring simple tools to Timberwolf Mountain region.  Got multi-stomped by the Wing moose and had to rest 264 hours (4 broken ribs).  Carry weight and sprint capacity was shot.  During my exile, I fished, gathered wood and made plans.  On one of those many days I realized my hacksaw was down to 23% and no repair tools.  I took a chance going back out to the Wing cargo and was lucky to find another saw on the ground without moose, bear or wolf trouble. Had to thread the needle that day.  🙂  In the end I didn't go to the Summit after healing up, since I had used up one saw and part of the second on the  NW cargo crates and the Echo crates.  I might have scored the tools crate up there before my second saw failed, or might have climbed all that way to look, saw-less, at five unopened crates. 😐

I always forget stuff. In the game or real life it doesn't matter. In real life I have cargo pants and I keep what I need on me and everything I need in a single place when it's not on me.

In TLD I always try to carry what I need on me to survive that cannot be obtained easily because if I drop it I will forget it. Things like fire wood, food, water are easy to obtain and I don't carry much of that if any.

On 10/23/2020 at 2:37 PM, PrincessAutumn said:

I was in the lobby of the upper Carter Hydro Dam and was headed to Pleasant Valley. I even checked to make sure I had everything(somehow the bedroll didn't register in my airhead brain lol) And I got going.

That's similar to the story of how I first found Pleasant Valley, way back when the game had just 3 regions.  My bedroll was laid on the floor in the control room, and I set out to explore the dam.  I saw that back door and skipped it, opting to loot the rest of the lower dam and haul the goodies back to the three lockers at the top of the stairs by the front entrance.  After doing that, I had a little bit of daylight left, so what the heck, let's see what's out back. Imagine my surprise when the door wouldn't open!  I spent too much time trying to find a way to open that door, that night began to fall and a fog rolled in.  I didn't know about (and didn't think to look for) the ledge, so I waited out the night in real-time ("pass time" didn't exist) then explored the river and ended up in Pleasant Valley.

• Upvote 1