more control over sound please

Fender Bender

It would really be appreciated if we could have more control over game sounds in the "Options" menu, more specifically the ability to adjust the volume of waterfalls (dang that's loud in the headphones relative to other sounds!) and wind.

Please and thank you!     🙂

• Upvote 3

yes please!  Also the waterfall sound is extremely directional.  i.e., much louder when facing.   Also could the sound of your gear rattling around be reduced relative to ther sounds.  PLEASE.  So annoying when enjoying the ambience of the game.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would personally love to see more volume sliders also.

I get that waterfalls are intended to be loud, but for me, they're unbearable.  So much so, that i mute my whole monitor while i'm near one.  I've also seen a lot of variation when watching others play TLD in regards to the volume of the waterfalls.  For some, they are extremely loud (and they have commented on that), then for others, they seem more acceptable.  So maybe there are certain set-ups that are suffering more with inconsistent sounds.

Separate sound effect sliders would alleviate any issues there and would be greatly appreciated in my case  :)  

Edited by Puddy
  • Upvote 2

On 5/5/2020 at 9:22 PM, mcnasty1953 said:

yes please!  Also the waterfall sound is extremely directional.  i.e., much louder when facing.   Also could the sound of your gear rattling around be reduced relative to ther sounds.  PLEASE.  So annoying when enjoying the ambience of the game.

Sound in video games has always been bad. I don't understand why not a single game(I have played) has used delay based directional sound instead of the volume change/mute that is in everything. The extra sound processing can't be that much can it? Play the same sound file for both channels and delay the side further away from the sound by whatever the extra distance is and allow the sound to be sped up of slowed down slightly as people turn the character's head. I could go on but there is no point. All these CPU cores and nobody cares to use them.

...Waterfalls can be extremely loud... :D
...The wind can also be very loud... :D

These things can obscure other ambient sounds and noises... I think that's kind of the point.

Generally speaking if I think the waterfall is just "too loud" in my headset then the easier answer is to: turn down my headset (rather than asking Hinterland to change their game just to better suit an individual).  I think it would be a bit silly to be able to hear our footsteps in the snow over the sound of water fall.  :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:
To me this is the weirdest nit pick I've read in a long time.  I think it's fine the way it is.  I think it's reasonable for waterfalls to be loud... I think it's reasonable for high winds to be loud.  Folks who want to mute certain sounds of nature in favor of others, don't make sense to me.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac

On 5/6/2020 at 7:57 AM, mcnasty1953 said:

also, could crows disappear after you've looted the corpse?  unnecessary clamor after they've served their purpose.

For you perhaps, but not necessarily for the rest of us.

I think those crows serve as a handy way to orient to those points... it can be another (more subtle) method for navigation.  I like the crows the way they are.  Just because it bothers some... doesn't mean they should be taken away for every one. 

:coffee::fire:
Plus those crows allow for gathering feathers... which comes in very handy when folks want to use the bow and arrow.

Edited by ManicManiac

I have been watching (more like listening) the game sound since Cross Road Ellegy. After this update it was really bad. I dont mind the waterfall and wind are noisy. But there were other problems. The sound was cluttered. As I mentioned somewhere else. I am in the middle of frozen sea in Coastal highway. I can clearly hear clanking swing near the Quonset. And criecking roof the quonset. Footsteps are too much loud as well. The game was nice and quiet apart of some sounds. I could hear wolf barking clearly. Now I have to turn down the game volume, which turn down important sounds as well. I play the game mostly by my ears when I am out.

One update seemed to be better. But after while again the sound is cluttered.

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2020 at 12:04 PM, ManicManiac said:

These things can obscure other ambient sounds and noises... I think that's kind of the point.

Generally speaking if I think the waterfall is just "too loud" in my headset then the easier answer is to: turn down my headset (rather than asking Hinterland to change their game just to better suit an individual).  I think it would be a bit silly to be able to hear our footsteps in the snow over the sound of water fall.  :D

To me this is the weirdest nit pick I've read in a long time.  I think it's fine the way it is.  I think it's reasonable for waterfalls to be loud... I think it's reasonable for high winds to be loud.  Folks who want to mute certain sounds of nature in favor of others, don't make sense to me.  :D

... ok, so what's your beef with this topic then? I didn't suggest that the sound of waterfalls and wind should be lowered, I suggested that players ought to have more control over the various sounds in the game. If you like the waterfalls loud, turn 'em up. If I find them too loud (and would prefer to minimize the risk of hearing loss), then I turn them down. What's the problem? I'm not suggesting that a lower sound volume should be "imposed" on you (or on others who prefer louder sound effects), but what you are in effect saying is that a louder sound volume should be imposed on me (and on others who prefer quieter sound effects).

To say that I should just "turn down my headphones" is a overly simplistic, "all or nothing" solution. It's not like the technology to allow greater control doesn't exist. Other games have mechanisms in place that allow players to have extensive control over the various sounds in the game. Are you suggesting that Hinterland isn't up to the challenge? That they don't have the technical know-how to pull it off? They've created an amazing game and have already made many sophisticated tweaks along the way. Frankly, I don't think this would be much of a problem for them.

... my two cents. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Fender Bender said:

so what's your beef with this topic then?

:D I don't have a "beef" with this topic.  I just don't really agree with the ideas that were put forth, I don't think there is a need for anyone to take it personally.  :D

Let's be clear: I didn't at any time tell you what you should do... I just explained what I do.  I also just expressed my opinion of the topic you brought up, and why (generally speaking) I am good with the sound the way it is.  We don't agree and that's okay... we don't have to.

So again, I don't have a "beef" with this topic... I just don't agree with it. :)

I've mentioned this a while back: 

On 12/21/2019 at 6:21 AM, ManicManiac said:

I love the discussion of ideas and the exchange of points of view.

I've made posts in the wishlist subforum in the past as well, but the longer I played the more I came to understand (or at least by my estimations) and respect why things were implemented the way they were.

To be clear, there have been ideas here that I have very much supported... the other's I have just weighed in on with my perspective.  I think it's equally valuable for any developer to hear from both sides of an idea or opinion.  I seem to have a much different perspective on the game as a whole than a lot of people on the forum.  Which I suppose has caused some to assume I'm against changing anything... which is not the case.  In the end, I trust Hinterland to do what's best for their game... so if they see fit to change things, then great.  I've not objected to anything they've changed, even though I've not always agreed with the changes... I've accepted them and took the challenge of adapting my playstyle to overcome those decisions I initially didn't like.  I didn't fuss about it... I chose to embrace it, and as a result I've become much happier with the game.

I do feel (that at least to some degree) I understand and can appreciate the choices that Hinterland has made with their game... and I think a voice expressing that is not harmful, but provides a counter balance to all the voices who do what to change things based on their own personal preferences.

I don't condemn other's for their opinions, I just don't always agree with them because I try to understand and appreciate why Hinterland makes the choices they do.

Edited by ManicManiac
edited to use general terms

On 5/1/2020 at 4:47 PM, Fender Bender said:

It would really be appreciated if we could have more control over game sounds in the "Options" menu, more specifically the ability to adjust the volume of waterfalls (dang that's loud in the headphones relative to other sounds!) and wind.

Please and thank you!     🙂

I agree. It's a game - give us an option to cap the volume of those super loud sounds.

There needs to be better adjustment of other sounds as well. Why is an owl hooting super loud when I'm in the middle of the field in PV? Why is a loon sounding like it's inside my backpack when I'm out on the ice in CH?

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, ManicManiac said:

I get that certain sounds being loud is kind of the point...i do.  I realise why they have done that, so that you can't hear wolves or bears as clearly round the corner.  And for the record, i wouldn't want to mute them completely.  But when the sound of them leaves a ringing in your ears for an hour later, then they are absolutely too loud.

Turning down the whole volume isn't a fix as then you can't hear anything else.  I personally at the moment play with every slider up to 100%, except music which is at 25%, and sounds which are at 15%.....and still the sound of the waterfalls leaves a ringing in my ears, they are that loud (for me).  This is what i mean when i said there seems to be some inconsistency  between certain set-ups.

I personally have only had this issue since the update that they did to waterfalls way back, when they changed the visuals of them too.  Are you saying an intended feature was only introduced in that update?

It's great that it is all working ok for you, but clearly it isn't for everyone.  And i don't think it's intentional.

Would it make any difference to you if they added different sliders?  You could just keep it the way it is after all.  Folk that want to take away from others when it makes no difference to themselves at all don't make sense to me  😉 :coffee:

Edited by Puddy
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Puddy said:

Turning down the whole volume isn't a fix as then you can't hear anything else.

Sure, but that's kind of the point... If we were to stand next to a waterfall, how much of anything else would we be be likely to hear?  I think it's reasonable to say... not much.  Folks here like to complain about immersion breaking... well I think this idea is a good example of what that would actually look like.

Conceptually, it would be like walking up to a waterfall, pulling out a magic remote, and pressing mute.  It would just seem silly to me to be able to adjust the volumes of individual sounds in a game like this. 

2 hours ago, Puddy said:

Folk that want to take away from others when it makes no difference to themselves at all don't make sense to me

Now, let's be clear on this...
I'm not taking anything away from anyone, because this is not a feature of the game.  I'm not trying to take features or options away from folks (I'm all for player choice).  I am however speaking in opposition to those ideas that I think would potentially undermine the experience that Hinterland has built.

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Sure, but that's kind of the point... If we were to stand next to a waterfall, how much of anything else would we be be likely to hear?  I think it's reasonable to say... not much.  Folks here like to complain about immersion breaking... well I think this idea is a good example of what that would actually look like.

Conceptually, it would be like walking up to a waterfall, pulling out a magic remote, and pressing mute.  It would just seem silly to me to be able to adjust the volumes of individual sounds in a game like this. 

I'm not taking anything away from anyone, because this is not a feature of the game.  I'm not trying to take features or options away from folks (I'm all for player choice).  I am however speaking in opposition to those ideas that I think would potentially undermine the experience that Hinterland has built.

Having followed a few post/replies from Manic, i know that the overall response to suggestions like this is "Lets try to keep the game as real as possible". I agree. 
I will say it gets very loud in the wind and near the waterfalls, BUT thats how life goes right.  

Some people are forgetting that this is a video game. They even say it in the disclaimer that "it is not a replacement for actual survival training or experience in the wilderness".

To me, it doesn't hurt to have a bit more control in game settings. They already have stuff like struggle options (click vs press and hold) and timberwolf morale bar (on/off) to cater to people with different needs so I don't see why not for the sounds too. It's an OPTION, so it's still a win-win situation for people who like it loud and people who don't.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Even stood next to a waterfall, i'd be able to hear my own voice, for sure!  But i can't, even with the sound slider turned down to 5%

Conceptually, it would be like walking up to a waterfall, pulling out a magic remote, and pressing mute. 

And for the third time, i wouldn't want to mute them.  Others here may, but not me.  So please don't dismiss other peoples ideas because of your own misconceptions.

When i said, 'taking away from anyone', i'd like to clarify that.  This is a wishlist forum.  Someone posted a wish, and anyone that would like to second that wish contributes.  If you contribute in a negative manor, then there must be a reason for that....as in, it would negatively impact your own gamplay.  That is totally reasonable, i've seen multiple wishlist threads were i was like....please god no!

However, this would absolutely make no difference to you whatsoever.  So you were, no matter how you look at it, taking away our right to ask for a simple gameplay feature.  For no reason at all.

Just to clarify, i wouldn't want them muted, or any other sounds for that matter.  I do understand what Hinterland are going for with certain sounds covering up others.  But there is no denying that the sound levels are not working for certain set ups.  I only had a problem after the waterfall update then after that, switching to a different monitor recently made it worse.

Even if they did a sound slider where you can't turn it completely off?  Like the minimum is still a significant volume, so they achieve what they're going for, yet there is more control for people who are suffering with bleeding ears?

Edited by Puddy
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

Some people are forgetting that this is a video game. They even say it in the disclaimer that "it is not a replacement for actual survival training or experience in the wilderness".

To me, it doesn't hurt to have a bit more control in game settings. They already have stuff like struggle options (click vs press and hold) and timberwolf morale bar (on/off) to cater to people with different needs so I don't see why not for the sounds too. It's an OPTION, so it's still a win-win situation for people who like it loud and people who don't.

100% agree with this by the way!

There was a convo a while ago about mods, not gonna get into that......but i had mentioned that my main reason for using mods was the accessibility options for the struggle mechanics for one.  I'm getting on for 50, and after a lifetime of gaming, you realise what it has done to your body and try to minimize it.  Props to Hinterland, they added options to get rid of the button bashing.  Love them for that!  Not saying they did it cause of me mentioning it, but clearly others had the same issues.  Hinterland recognized that and fixed it.

To me, this is on the same level.  It's something that is affecting certain people adversely.  And yes, they can't fix the world, but if they could add a slider then they could fix this issue for everyone it's affecting.

That's what the wishlist section is here for right  :) 

• Upvote 1

@Puddy

I've said this countless times before, but it seems I have to say it again.

On 12/21/2019 at 6:21 AM, ManicManiac said:

I love the discussion of ideas and the exchange of points of view.

I've made posts in the wishlist subforum in the past as well, but the longer I played the more I came to understand (or at least by my estimations) and respect why things were implemented the way they were.

To be clear, there have been ideas here that I have very much supported... the other's I have just weighed in on with my perspective.  I think it's equally valuable for any developer to hear from both sides of an idea or opinion.  I seem to have a much different perspective on the game as a whole than a lot of people on the forum.  Which I suppose has caused some to assume I'm against changing anything... which is not the case.  In the end, I trust Hinterland to do what's best for their game... so if they see fit to change things, then great.  I've not objected to anything they've changed, even though I've not always agreed with the changes... I've accepted them and took the challenge of adapting my playstyle to overcome those decisions I initially didn't like.  I didn't fuss about it... I chose to embrace it, and as a result I've become much happier with the game.

I do feel (that at least to some degree) I understand and can appreciate the choices that Hinterland has made with their game... and I think a voice expressing that is not harmful, but provides a counter balance to all the voices who do what to change things based on their own personal preferences.

I don't condemn other's for their opinions, I just don't always agree with them because I try to understand and appreciate why Hinterland makes the choices they do.  To me player choice is more powerful at adjusting the experience than wanting to change the game itself.

Then you said this, and I thought I should speak to it:

10 hours ago, Puddy said:

So you were, no matter how you look at it, taking away our right to ask for a simple gameplay feature.

:D  Me expressing my opinion doesn't infringe on your rights in anyway. :D 
Just because I don't agree with an idea does not make it an attack... you are expressing your opinions and I am expressing mine.  Are you suggesting that you have a right to speak, but I don't?

On 6/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, ManicManiac said:

It's not personal, I just don't agree with your point of view.  You and I clearly have very different perspectives when it comes to this game, and that's fine.
What I did was take the premise that was put forward and walk it out a little further down that road of logic it was placed it on. :D
  I don't think there is anything dishonest about that and I don't think there is anything wrong with more thoroughly thinking through ideas or concepts.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, ManicManiac said:

I really do wish folks would stop assuming that everyone that has a different point of view from their own is an attacker... I think that's an odd assumption to make.  :D

Listen folks, I'm not a person who is just going to feed into someone's echo chamber.  It's clear that I have a very different perspective of this game than most of you, but I will give my opinions just like you do. 

Edited by ManicManiac