<sigh> Another kill I can't reach

hozz1235

Haha - at first I thought the skin-coloured object in the foreground was the object of attention, the bear carcass appeared as a boulder to me. So I was utterly mystified which kind of animal has been hunted here. I looked really hard, but couldn't make it out. Only after about two minutes did I take a closer look at the 'boulder'... :D

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I wish this would get fixed...

I'm not sure that it needs fixing.  It is quite possible for items to lie on the ice beyond a patch of thin ice. Admittedly I'd expect a bloody great bear to go through the ice if the ice couldn't bear my weight.

4 hours ago, peteloud said:

I'm not sure that it needs fixing.

I'm not sure anything is really broken, so I don't see anything here that needs to be "fixed" either... sure it can be frustrating when this kind of thing happens, but I've always took it as a lesson to be more careful about how, where, and when to take my shots so this kind of thing isn't likely to happen.

:coffee::fire:
I mentioned something similar before...

On 9/8/2019 at 10:51 PM, ManicManiac said:

I mean sure... it can be frustrating to hunt an animal, only to have that animal run far out on thin ice and die, and therefore waste time and resources on a hunt we can't profit from.  I just take it as an in-game life lesson to be more situationally aware and be careful of how, when, and where I take my shot. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

My point.

Perhaps, but if the bear did just "fall though the ice," then it would be gone anyway... so it seems that it wouldn't really matter. :) The result didn't change... and I think the solution is more careful hunting practices (as I mentioned in my previous post).

:coffee::fire:
and I think that player behavior doesn't need to be fixed by a developer... so I still don't think there is anything about this that needs fixing on Hinterland's end.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Balthasar250 said:

We need a rope and hook style anchor

Maybe... but I still think the better solution is just working out better hunting practices; particularly being mindful of these sorts of areas when deciding when/where to set up our shots.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Sometimes the more critical component is choosing where we fight/hunt.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 4:29 PM, GothSkunk said:

Fix?

There's nothing to fix. You've just got bad luck.

Bad luck, yes.  Fix?  You don't argue the point that a several hundred pound bear won't break through ice but I will?  If we could say "realism", this would not be realistic and actually is a punishment for the hard work we do to hunt the bear in the first place.

• Upvote 1

I started a similar thread a couple of years ago, siting that the ice will hold a several hundred pound bear, but will crack under the weight of a man and equipment.  The Devs responded saying that they were aware of the inconsistency and would look at potentially changing this particular game mechanic if it wouldn't be too problematic.  The fact that it is still the same tells me that the change would be too great a pain for the reward.  Unfortunately it looks like we will just have to live with the occasional out-of-reach kill.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng

Personally I get why people say this doesn't need fixing. But as every so often I disagree.

Hunting a bear is risky business and potentially expensive. It's not like the occasional deer that got away, but THE bear you hunted this week. You roll that dice much less freqently, and rolling wrong has an even greater impact while betting much more on it (frankly: your life). This makes hunting bears in locations that have weak ice a very bad call in terms of game theory, and I personally think that a game should reward action over inaction.

5 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Personally I get why people say this doesn't need fixing. But as every so often I disagree.

Hunting a bear is risky business and potentially expensive. It's not like the occasional deer that got away, but THE bear you hunted this week. You roll that dice much less freqently, and rolling wrong has an even greater impact while betting much more on it (frankly: your life). This makes hunting bears in locations that have weak ice a very bad call in terms of game theory, and I personally think that a game should reward action over inaction.

Yup!  I wouldn't really get upset if it was a deer (those are everywhere!) but hunting and killing a bear or moose is much more rewarding when successful.

• Upvote 1

It frustrates me that a bear which weighs generally anywhere from 180 lbs to 1300 lbs can walk on "weak" ice.  A while back when I'd lose a deer in Coastal Highway because the fool thing would run into the ocean I mildly miffed, but it was ok. But this, its just as bad as the animals that run up sheer surfaces.   

Edited by Jolan

• 3 years later...
On 2/15/2020 at 11:29 PM, Jimmy said:

Ouch, bad luck! I guess next time you'll have to lure him a bit closer to shore before shooting.

Just re-read this post since someone reacted.  

Regarding your comment, Jimmy - I shot the bear far from shore.  Injured, he ran there, bled out and died.

btw, I believe HL has fixed this now.

Edited by hozz1235

• 3 weeks later...