Revolver has been nerfed

wizard03

Not sure if people know this or not, so thought Id throw out some new info on the latest "adjustment" to the revolver. I have used it effectively in the past without having a higher skill ranking on both the bear and the moose, but after throwing down a new stalker run on my xbox, I must admit that either I came across a new bug, or the revolver got super nerfed. 

Video footage as follows
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/85900338
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/85900365
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/85900392
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/85900431
https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/85900472

For those who don't wanna deal with the ad crap that pops up on that website, I more or less spent 20 rounds of revolver ammo to take down one moose.

So ok, Im going to start off with the story here....Im doing a stalker run and have already cleaned out timberwolf mountain. Going through PV and went to the radio shack and then over to the ice fishing hut on pensive pond {or at least I think that's the name} While out there, seen mr moose, put three into his backside and went back to the farmstead....had some stuff go on that I had to spend a couple days dealing with, and returned in hopes of finding mr moose who should have bled out by now. But he is still alive {1'st video} Ok then, I guess Ill put a couple more in him....wait, no blood? Couple more shots, couple broken ribs, ok Ill lure him to the ice shack and do a full cylinder load...HOLYMOTHEROFJEHOVA! the moose is still standing after all that?!?! Oh he is going to go down now or im going down trying!

Well, the short of that is, it took about 20-25 rounds of revolver ammo, 3 broken ribs, and a realization of what is really going on, the revolver must have been nerfed. But I still managed to do it and mr moose gave up his hide for me....Didn't worry too much about the meat, still loaded from the supply from TWM, but wow was that a lesson learned the hard way. Good news is I made it through, all the ribs are healed, and I am still plugging along, but yikes was that a wake up call!

I was under the impression that moose don't bleed out, you literally have to hit him until he dies. I've dropped bear with two revolver rounds, and deer and wolves with one, but a moose will keep standing until you put the last bullet in. I've never tried dropping a moose with a revolver, but unless you get a few well placed rounds in, it's at least 4 or 5 with the rifle, and I have seen moose stand with seven arrows in them. 

All that being said, I don't know if the revolver has been nerfed or not, but I think using the moose as a benchmark can lead to misconceptions.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Silverhour said:

I was under the impression that moose don't bleed out, you literally have to hit him until he dies. I've dropped bear with two revolver rounds, and deer and wolves with one, but a moose will keep standing until you put the last bullet in. I've never tried dropping a moose with a revolver, but unless you get a few well placed rounds in, it's at least 4 or 5 with the rifle, and I have seen moose stand with seven arrows in them. 

All that being said, I don't know if the revolver has been nerfed or not, but I think using the moose as a benchmark can lead to misconceptions.

I absolutely promise Iv taken the moose before with just a single cylinder load in the revolver. Even then, Im sure I missed a few shots as well, but I have had blood loss with the moose as well especially where he was standing when I shot him. Now trying to wait for the bleed out typically takes a whole night of sleeping, but in this instance, I got absolutely zero blood splatter and/or blood loss for the moose! I at least get a blood splatter with all the other animals, but nothing when I shot the moose this time.

I pondered what they changed because while I expected one or two adjustments with the first patch, the second patch was a real "whats going on here? scenario.

Taken from the Fandom Long Dark Wiki,

Unlike other animals, moose do not bleed out. This can make killing moose a bit more difficult. They are fairly tough so multiple shots are often required. It is possible to kill a moose with one shot, most likely when hitting the head, but typically moose do not die before taking four shots from any weapon; rifle, bow, and distress pistol all seem equally effective. It is impossible to kill moose without a ranged weapon.

• Upvote 1

I took down a moose with the revolver. It took 58 bullets (some misses), and finally dropped when I got down from the tree and hit it in the head as it was charging me.

This was just after the revolver was introduced, I was deliberately grinding the revolver skill. I don’t think non “critical” hits have any effect.

You can one-shot a Moose. It's not common, but often a single shot, revolver, rifle or arrow to the nose drops them. There may be other critical-hit spots that will one-shot them too, but nose s the only one that has worked for me. With an arrow, and with a rifle round. Never had the nerves to try it with the revolver.

If you got the moose with a one-shot using the revolver, you got lucky. Damned lucky. It never was meant to be a weapon for killing, it even says it is not meant for hunting in the item description. It's meant as a defensive weapon, to scare off wolves, or for use in struggles as a blunt object, with a chance at a shot to the wolf's face, if you fill the meter enough. The Revolver was too OP when it was first added, we were blasting things with it, left and right. So Hinterland adjusted it a bit, a while ago. Not a new thing.

Moose do not bleed out, but you can crit them, if you are lucky. That big nose makes an obvious target when they are charging you, lol.

I dropped lot of deer and wolfs in one revolver shot. And my record for the bear is two shots. I suspect the second one was a crit. It was on voyager difficulty and I had trained my skill to 5. It took lot of bullets and lot of dead deer.

I found a bear can be good for practice as well. It can be lured to safe place and it is fairly big target. Once I got 6 hits before he vacated the killing zone.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:03 PM, Silverhour said:

Taken from the Fandom Long Dark Wiki,

Unlike other animals, moose do not bleed out. This can make killing moose a bit more difficult. They are fairly tough so multiple shots are often required. It is possible to kill a moose with one shot, most likely when hitting the head, but typically moose do not die before taking four shots from any weapon; rifle, bow, and distress pistol all seem equally effective. It is impossible to kill moose without a ranged weapon.

Watch the first minute...

• 1 month later...

I have relegated all my revolvers to the dustbin, This game I have a few or more and a couple hundred rounds that I collect like tinder plugs. I find the revolver useless for killing, useless for scaring wolves with the sound. It is pretty much only useful against rabbits now and I'd rather grind bow skill. That has a payoff that I cannot seem to get to with the revolver anymore. I may have given up to soon. I could try to grind up to 5 on rabbits but relying on the revolver cost  me a ton of clothing damage this patch.

I've taken to carrying the rifle despite the weight, I need it for bear and the bows good for wolves now that I have 5 and can crouch, I need critical kills, chasing wounded game around gets me into trouble. dang thing might as well be a worn tshirt or tinder plug

Edited by Muestereate

@Muestereate
Interesting, I find I can still very reliably hunt wolves with it, and most times one shot is more than enough to do the job.  I'm not in the habit of missing or firing warning shots, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of just the sound... however I do know that when I one-shot one wolf the other two or three near by always run away scared.

I'm not sure what issues are plaguing your game, perhaps you have some bugs that need to be reported?
Perhaps your technique could use some work.

:coffee::fire:
I find the revolver is as good as it ever was.

Edited by ManicManiac

Nerfing the revolver made sense as it needs to be weaker than the rifle and bow and it was a little too powerful at launch. They reduced the number of revolver bullets in the world for the same reason.
it was designed more for deterrence than hunting. Once you get the skill up to five it is pretty lethal against wolves when shot from the hip.

Hello all, first post here. Anyways.

I'm a bit surprised to read this, as I took down a moose with one hit from the bow just a few hours earlier. (tonight/yesterday, stalker diff.)

I didn't hit it in the head either, just nailed it on the side. This is the first time i've taken down a moose, so I didn't know what to expect, and was a bit surprised, as he dropped right where he was standing (might have taken one step, but I don't think he did).

This is with a lvl. 1 Bow skill, too. Is this... unusual?

Sorry if my reply is off topic. Thanks!

@ManicManiac At what skill level? I realize you are a regular Jerimiah Johnson and never complain about anything, unlike Will :). I'm just a small town guy who's plane went down. But whatever learning curve for those ninja skills of yours so far escapes  me 2 out of 3 times at level 3. I admit I am not fond of repairing and replacing all my clothes but that is always the end result with the revolver even on a good day. With the rifle I hit, they die, even at lower skill levels and I live on to level up. I'm still getting good with the bow and its working real nice now that I tossed the revolver and got to 5 on the bow.

And what level are you playing on? The new stalker was so crazy I gave up on it  and had to customize. Now that I've axed the revolver I may be able to go back and play the new stalker but I won't carry that revolver further than I can find a place to stash it. I may even quit picking them up altogether.

@Muestereate

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be great at this game... I wouldn't even say I'm an advanced player (at lest not until I've met all my personal challenges I have for myself regarding this game).

However to answer your question:

After this thread went up, I did start a fresh stalker run and immediately went out to find a revolver.  Once I found one (and a bit of ammo), I went out and tested it on wolf population.  I found that even on stalker and on skill level 1 (basic revolver skill), I was able to consistently take down wolves with it.  My sample set was 6 wolves using 6 rounds.  4 of those wolves dropped immediately with a well placed shot to the brain, the other 2 were also shot in the head (as far as I could tell) but apparently were not "critical hits."  Those I just had to wait a little bit for them to bleed out.  One of them that had to bleed out never had a chance to charge so it just ran off when it was hit...  while the other one broke off the charge and also ran off when it was hit.

I suppose it's possible those two that I thought were head shots could have really been body shots (but as far as I could tell, I was on target) - I can't really know for sure.  However, I don't think all head shots are automatically critical hits.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
That's why I say, as far as I can tell the revolver hasn't been "nerfed," and it still appears to be as effective as it ever was. :)

Edited by ManicManiac

On 1/25/2020 at 10:18 AM, Silverhour said:

This is true.

I think the target radius is reduced. If you are a better shot than me, that wouldn't matter to you. You mentioned shooting them off the hip. Never have I gotten a shot off the hip except for timberowlves in the story and that was a previous version. I think you are just a great shot and i am not, but I'm pretty good with the rifle and stationary targets with the bow. Good revolver marksmanship is something to be proud of, not everyone has it.